88th Texas Legislature

atomheartbevo

Okay, I get it.  I'm just typing this shit out about Cruz's staff and state reps and other politicians I know.  I used to be able to separate out people's politics and they themselves as human beings.  We all do it almost everyday.  But yeah, it's all fucked now.  As Brisket says, the cruelty is now the feature not the bug.  I don't know what the fuck to do.  I gotta walk around with the knowledge of the exact room number at the Driskill where Briscoe Cain used to blow my buddy from UT while he screams about the evils of gaywad books in our elementary school libraries.  If we can't try to see the slightest hint of decency in even the worst of us, what the fuck are we supposed to do?  I'm fucking hanging on a by a thread here folks.  I now spend a lot of time and money and political capital to defeat this kinda shit.  Now they're attacking our first generation students of color leadership academy at UT.  And the head of the THECB, my cousin and a Hispanic Republican, is pushing back on their shit across all higher ed systems to dismantle DEI.  You gotta start recognizing the just because somebody hasn't voted straight ticket Democrat since their 18th birthday that they are not advocates for what is just and fair.  And some of us are just trying to be more accepting people even when the people we're trying to accept are bad faith actors.  We are doing a lot more to fight this tide of misery and hate than just cutting checks to Beto.  I can't give myself over to hatred again, none of us can.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, I get it.  I'm just typing this shit out about Cruz's staff and state reps and other politicians I know.  I used to be able to separate out people's politics and they themselves as human beings.  We all do it almost everyday.  But yeah, it's all fucked now.  As Brisket says, the cruelty is now the feature not the bug.  I don't know what the fuck to do.  I gotta walk around with the knowledge of the exact room number at the Driskill where Briscoe Cain used to blow my buddy from UT while he screams about the evils of gaywad books in our elementary school libraries.  If we can't try to see the slightest hint of decency in even the worst of us, what the fuck are we supposed to do?  I'm fucking hanging on a by a thread here folks.  I now spend a lot of time and money and political capital to defeat this kinda shit.  Now they're attacking our first generation students of color leadership academy at UT.  And the head of the THECB, my cousin and a Hispanic Republican, is pushing back on their shit across all higher ed systems to dismantle DEI.  You gotta start recognizing the just because somebody hasn't voted straight ticket Democrat since their 18th birthday that they are not advocates for what is just and fair.  And some of us are just trying to be more accepting people even when the people we're trying to accept are bad faith actors.  We are doing a lot more to fight this tide of misery and hate than just cutting checks to Beto.  I can't give myself over to hatred again, none of us can.  

Sure you can. It’s the only thing that works.
We didn’t defeat fascism in WWII with love and good thoughts. We shot fucking Nazis in the face and bombed them into pink mist.
All the poetry and philosophy shit and “love wins” and “only light can defeat the darkness” crap is fucking fairytale candy land bullshit for people who pretend that humanity and history ain’t what they actually are. These fuckers have chosen the side of evil cruelty so they can hold transitory power. Choices have consequences.

60848037705e8abc3316c6fff591100b.jpg

You defeat evil by relentlessly and mercilessly attacking it with force. That’s it. It’s the only thing that works. A crapload of dead Nazis, and a Europe that is not a Third Reich, is the most recent glaring piece of proof.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

No, my neighbor’s daughter who I’ve known since she was an elementary school kid was creepily approached by Slaton while she serves as deputy chief of staff for a state senator.    She knows the staffer he assaulted.  She provided confidential testimony to the committee.  He’s Not good people.  And if so much as looks at her while emptying his office, then my thoughts and prayers to his family on his upcoming involvement with the Nate Paul money laundering scheme.  

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Okay, I get it.  I'm just typing this shit out about Cruz's staff and state reps and other politicians I know.  I used to be able to separate out people's politics and they themselves as human beings.  We all do it almost everyday.  But yeah, it's all fucked now.  As Brisket says, the cruelty is now the feature not the bug.  I don't know what the fuck to do. 

There's plenty of little points where you could point to and say that "such-and-such sold their soul to the devil at this moment in time" but the fact is, it's been building because a lot of us let it.  I'm not as connected as you are - my active political connections mostly evaporated after I left the GOP around 2003/2004, but I've stayed in touch with plenty of people from back then, and I know plenty of Republicans that I worked and volunteered alongside in the late '90s/early 2000s during some campaigns who left the party, plenty who stuck around and just keep their head down and didn't embrace the Trumpiness, but they didn't challenge it, and plenty who embraced the Trumpiness either because they believed it, or they took advantage of the MAGA/Qanon idiots, just like Troxy.

Those who take advantage of MAGA/Qanon/etc. like Troxy and like folks you and I know, they are a part of the problem as much as anybody who actually believes in that shit because they legitimize it - Troxy should in theory be really good people, and in a different timeline, she'd be somebody that we could respect for various reasons, but she's embraced the crazy.  Whatever goodwill she generated is gone, just like with Diane Feinstein or Ruth Bader Ginsburg - she crossed a line where her actions were working against the people she claims to serve.

I've kind of wondered if part of the problem is that so many of us left, and so many who remained just put their head down and ignore the Trumpiness.  If instead, a lot more Republicans had stayed in the GOP, stood up and challenged the Trumpiness instead of bailing on the party or putting their head down, and said "okay, this is fucking ridiculous, Trump is never going to arrest Hillary, Oprah is not feasting on little kids, Trump has weird shit going on with Russia and Putin and his finances, you all need to grow the fuck up and acknowledge this".

Our leaving the GOP, or those who stayed in but put their head down and stuck their fingers in their ears created an echo chamber that allowed Trump to take over the party.  Yeah, the party has always had some...evil undertones with some (looking at Dick Cheney, etc.), but it was never out in the open like what Trump did, and by the time he came in and took over, those who could have been a moderating voice were shouted down/in the minority.

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I gotta walk around with the knowledge of the exact room number at the Driskill where Briscoe Cain used to blow my buddy from UT while he screams about the evils of gaywad books in our elementary school libraries. 

There are probably people on Surly who walk around with the knowledge of where the bodies of their former elementary school bullies are lying in shallow graves in some remote wooded area in East Texas and there is always that temptation to put it out there anonymously on the internet, with the tidbit of "such-and-such died a horrible death because he was a fucking asshole to a lot of little kids" but the temptation is resisted and those people walk around just dealing with life as it is.

In your case, the only thing keeping you from putting Briscoe's shit on blast is probably some kind of defamation lawsuit, and that's understandable.

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

If we can't try to see the slightest hint of decency in even the worst of us, what the fuck are we supposed to do?  I'm fucking hanging on a by a thread here folks.  I now spend a lot of time and money and political capital to defeat this kinda shit.  Now they're attacking our first generation students of color leadership academy at UT.

Like I said, part of the problem is that a lot of us didn't push back really hard early on.  We can say "well hindsight is 20/20", but it's clear that shit was going off the rails (arguably with Palin being the VP pick). Unfortunately, today's GOP is like a little kid - they were given a lot more freedom before being told "no" than they should have been, and so it's hard to rein them in.  Hell, we went from the fucking aggy Rick Perry, who pushed for open borders in August of 2001, who was pushing for a guest worker program in 2006, to Longhorn Greg Abbott, who wants to invite civilians to practically hunt other human beings along the border, and who wants the power to throw out the state's biggest county's elections.

The only thing I can say is that it's going to take them losing multiple times before they get it in their heads that they fucked up and went down the wrong road.  When they lose some more, and their mega donors start going to the Dems, they'll change their tune.  But it'll take another White House loss with Trump in '24, and the House flipping back down the road, and the Senate improving for the Dems, before Republican leaders realize that they can't win by embracing the crazy and the hate.

And the fact that our legislature is wanting to make it so that the state can throw out Harris County's votes is telling - they are scared of the the demographics changes and the changes in voting patterns, but more importantly, nobody is telling  them "YOU FUCKING MORONS, YOU THROW OUT HARRIS COUNTY, YOU'RE GOING TO LITERALLY CREATE THE THING YOU FEAR - A SHITLOAD OF INCREASED VOTING AGAINST REPUBLICANS ACROSS THE STATE BECAUSE YOU PISSED THE LEFT AND THE MODERATES OFF, AND YOU MADE THEM REALIZE THAT THE STATE IS FLIPPING, ELSE YOU WOULDN'T MOVE TO TAKE OUT HARRIS COUNTY!"

That's the irony - if the Republicans weren't fucking around so much, they wouldn't tip their hand about what the state could look like within a few elections - hell, I kept saying Republicans had internal polling showing bad news for them to want to take control away from Harris County, but then right there  in plain fucking sight on the Secretary of State's page, it shows that Harris County has the actual numbers that could flip the entire state, even if the gerrymandered districts for the House and the Texas legislature remain. What does the state look like with Democrats in the Governor's Mansion, Lt. Governor's seat, etc.?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I know.  She really was a voice of reason on a batshit insane City Council.  And she has an entirely new agenda that I woefully disagree with.  But I've know her and her family a long time and she's really putting on a show to appeal to the lowest common denominator.  And I know that's just as bad as actually believing the moronic shit her party is trying to implement right now.  I'm just trying to see better in people as a way to see better in myself and get through my own shit.  
But as per usual in the last 6 years, looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue with Republicans.  

Yeah, this is my point. She is a Republican, one of three. In a way it is certainly smart of her to take advantage of the ignorance of the masses to advance her personal interest ahead of those she would claim to represent. That’s two of three.

However, what you just described is a dogshit human being.
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Wow, you are so close to getting it. Of course, you have to throw in the "I know people" asides, because of course you do.

But fuck you, for the bolded. I mean, seriously, fuck you. Some of us don't have your supposed money and influence. Some of us are doing our best trying to wake up our circles of influence to what is happening in Texas, whether it's our neighbors, students, co-workers, or family members.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 5

16 hours ago, YGIFS said:

And the head of the THECB, my cousin and a Hispanic Republican, is pushing back on their shit across all higher ed systems to dismantle DEI.

Not related to the topic, but you need to tell your cousin that THECB's loan servicing is complete ass and they need to stop emailing passwords in the clear when they force you to reset your password every so often 

Watched this press conference live. They need more of this. Call them out forcefully.

Meanwhile here is the GOP response. If you continue to vote for these pieces of shit you have blood on your hands. Period.

Edited by TexEx15
  • Rage+1 2

It literally took ANOTHER mass shooting, that was super visible because of bystander cameras, that happened while they were in session, for the committee chair to do the BARE MINIMUM. I don’t think this would have happened without the footage.

17 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Bryan Slaton has resigned 

Not gonna lie, little bit disappointed. Really thought this scumbag was gonna make them vote his ass out and that would have been pretty good political theater tomorrow...But in the end he needed to get gone and now thats happened. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Went up to the Capitol today. Strong presence from Moms Demand Action, but man, it's a bit sad that there aren't protests like what we saw in Nashville.

Wasn't able to get into the room for the committee meeting, but was just outside. Huge cheer. Seeing Uvalde parents crying and hugging is so damn heart-breaking. It shouldn't be this hard.

Oh yeah, Troxclair voted against moving the bill out of committee. 

1 hour ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Not gonna lie, little bit disappointed. Really thought this scumbag was gonna make them vote his ass out and that would have been pretty good political theater tomorrow...But in the end he needed to get gone and now thats happened. 

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

These two tweets need to be next to each other...what the ever loving fuck is going on??? They at least amended the bill to require background checks for the chaplins this chuckle fuck Hefner is trying to force into public schools, but he pushed back hard on it. Also allegedly Hefner is an adulterer (allegedly) and his side piece is also a state rep but because they both got that R next to their name everyone tolerates it while spouting their religious mumbo jumbo out the other side of their mouth...now if you'll excuse me I have blood pressure medicine to take...

• Hook 'Em 1

https://legiscan.com/TX/text/HCR29/id/2652256

CONCURRENT RESOLUTION
            WHEREAS, The United States was established on principles of
     religious freedom, and our founding fathers looked to their faith
     for blessings and guidance as they worked to build an independent
     nation with liberty and justice for all; and
            WHEREAS, Millions of Americans are adherents of
     Christianity, and that religious heritage has played a significant
     role throughout our country's history; this influence is documented
     in government records, including colonial charters, early laws,
     original state constitutions, and hundreds of state and federal
     court cases; and
            WHEREAS, Through the centuries, a host of major American
     historical figures have relied on Christian traditions, tenets, and
     values to guide their actions and have stressed the importance of
     those principles when addressing their fellow citizens; such
     individuals as George Washington, Abigail and John Adams, James
     Madison, Abraham Lincoln, Harry S. Truman, and Dwight D. Eisenhower
     drew strength from their Christian beliefs, and these prominent men
     and women, like countless other Americans, did not hesitate to
     express their faith; and
            WHEREAS, Public officials across the country, at all levels,
     have acknowledged this meaningful influence through the observance
     of Christian Heritage Week; the occasion serves to highlight the
     immeasurable impact of Christianity on our nation, from the
     fellowship and good works offered by local churches to the respite
     from life's ordinary travails afforded by religious holidays and
     rituals; the continued vitality of this faith tradition is
     evidenced by the ongoing proliferation of Christian houses of
     worship, charities, ministries, missions, and schools; and
            WHEREAS, The celebration of Christian Heritage Week provides
     opportunities for adherents of the religion to more deeply examine
     its vital role in society and for people of all faiths to learn more
     about the rich fabric of our nation's history; now, therefore, be it
            RESOLVED, That the 88th Legislature of the State of Texas
     hereby designate the second to last week in April as Texas Christian
     Heritage Week; and, be it further
            RESOLVED, That, in accordance with the provisions of Section
     391.004(d), Government Code, this designation remain in effect
     until the 10th anniversary of the date this resolution is finally
     passed by the legislature.

Edited by Beau Vine

A reminder that State Senator Charles Schwertner sent messages on LinkedIn about how he wanted to fuck a grad student at UT that was his intern. Sent her a dick pic from his cell phone. Got off on the charge cause they couldn’t prove he sent it.

then he got a DWI this session.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

These two tweets need to be next to each other...what the ever loving fuck is going on??? They at least amended the bill to require background checks for the chaplins this chuckle fuck Hefner is trying to force into public schools, but he pushed back hard on it. Also allegedly Hefner is an adulterer (allegedly) and his side piece is also a state rep but because they both got that R next to their name everyone tolerates it while spouting their religious mumbo jumbo out the other side of their mouth...now if you'll excuse me I have blood pressure medicine to take...

Not sure who the House Rep asking Hefner the questions, but she let him off way too easy and was horrible at framing the questions.  I get that there is probably some consternation re: "decorum" given Tennessee and Montana recently, but god dammit there is a relatively easy way to frame the questions to make this guy look like a fucking fraud.  He won that exchange when you take the substance out of it.  I mean, she is right, but she never made her point.  "Don't you understand the drama..."  GTFOOH with that weak bullshit.  

"What is the value of every school board being forced to vote on letting clergy in?"

"I don't think it's a problem to know where they stand on the issue and this is how it was drafted and went through committee and I don't want to change it."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get you aren't going to change it.  We all get it.  But I asked you what the VALUE was.  You didn't answer my question.  I don't think it's a problem for every school board to vote up or down on salisbury steak or square pizza on Fridays, but I also don't see the value in it.  Many people see problems with what is in this bill though.  You clearly don't.  But I asked you for the value of it. That's what I want to know."

31 minutes ago, YChang said:

This is the picture of a miserable hypocrite. 

I'll give you hypocrite. I don't think he's miserable. He's just mad he got caught and held accountable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

I'll give you hypocrite. I don't think he's miserable. He's just mad he got caught and held accountable.

He might be miserable as of yesterday when he finally resigned, but up until then he totally thought he was gonna weasel his way out of this...

https://www.texasscorecard.co/slaton-tried-to-survive/

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

These dumb fucks realize they have to let ALL religions / churches into schools ?

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Do they?

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Nation of Islam would be legit good counselors 

No they don't.  They also don't seem to realize that Texas's largest single religious sect is Catholic by a decent margin.  And that they are asking for one helluva fight between religious sects as they try to get their preferred clergy (most likely evangelical/Texas Southern Baptist types) in the schools while keeping out the Catholics, Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Scientologists, Satanists, Mormons, etc.

The people pushing this bill, 

cf295e1a-888e-4c95-8771-fb612b38cbbc_tex

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What’s going on here

Lt. Dan and Dade got some kind of feud going on but its really funny that Lt. Dan has no idea that every time he posts this shirtless pic of Dade he just looks more and more homoerotic...NTTAWWT

Edited by Evil Bill Obrien
Dan Patrick being closeted
  • Like 1