88th Texas Legislature

atomheartbevo

Is it just me, or is the Texas House seeming to be reigning it in somewhat? 

First there is the opposition to vouchers in the face of Abbott/Patrick. Then I saw these headlines:

Funds for prison air conditioning approved by House:

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/04/11/texas-prisons-air-conditioning/

I know they are still doing other things, but these are all headlines that counter the typical stuff I see outta there.

It seems like the Texas House has always been the more reasonable of the two branches of state govt. Seems like last session or the one before (maybe both) the House passed a fairly broad MJ reform bill only to see it die on Youth Pastor Patrick's desk. I know there are a bunch of bullshit bills filed by guys like Slaton every session...but some of the stuff that actually gets voted on and passed can be reasonably moderate sometimes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I know they are still doing other things, but these are all headlines that counter the typical stuff I see outta there.

My only thought would be that some of them are worried about future elections, since their districts are smaller and these kinds of issues could hurt them.

My only thought would be that some of them are worried about future elections, since their districts are smaller and these kinds of issues could hurt them.

I wouldn’t put it past being a ploy by the GQP to appear to be more mainstream knowing that none of it will get past the Senate.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Is it just me, or is the Texas House seeming to be reigning it in somewhat? 

First there is the opposition to vouchers in the face of Abbott/Patrick. Then I saw these headlines:

Funds for prison air conditioning approved by House:

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/04/11/texas-prisons-air-conditioning/

“Hey look at these non awful things that we did…ok now turn back around so we can continue buttfucking our citizens into oblivion.”

• Hook 'Em 2

it is absolutely crazy how the tx house has managed to be the more level headed between the two. Probably more to do with amount of competitive districts than rules being held to in Senate. Cause Patrick makes sure the rules are his

been going on at least a decade now

Edited by StassneyHorn

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

it is absolutely crazy how the tx house has managed to be the more level headed between the two. Probably more to do with amount of competitive districts than rules being held to in Senate. Cause Patrick makes sure the rules are his

been going on at least a decade now

patrick needs to off himself and get the job done this time. Fuck having a politician for life 

The lege has been busy

First up: SB1933 gives broad authority to the TXSecOfState to throw out election results. This appears to be targeted mainly at Houston, since the bill specifies it only applies to cities with more than 2.7 population.

Next up: SB1750 eliminates the position of election administrator from counties with a population greater than 3.5 million - again Harris is the only affected county.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

On 4/13/2023 at 1:04 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

It seems like the Texas House has always been the more reasonable of the two branches of state govt. Seems like last session or the one before (maybe both) the House passed a fairly broad MJ reform bill only to see it die on Youth Pastor Patrick's desk. I know there are a bunch of bullshit bills filed by guys like Slaton every session...but some of the stuff that actually gets voted on and passed can be reasonably moderate sometimes. 

we always relied on the house to defeat anti-lgbtq bills when I was lobbying.

On 4/13/2023 at 6:22 PM, CooterBrown said:

I wouldn’t put it past being a ploy by the GQP to appear to be more mainstream knowing that none of it will get past the Senate.

that's not it.

On 4/13/2023 at 8:32 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Joe Straus built a mostly normal state House. Dade is continuing it. 

long line of reasonable speakers, Joe Strauss being the previous one.  

I fear that will break soon though if we don't turn this around very, very soon.  as it stands, crap still makes its way through.

The lege has been busy

First up: SB1933 gives broad authority to the TXSecOfState to throw out election results. This appears to be targeted mainly at Houston, since the bill specifies it only applies to cities with more than 2.7 population.

Next up: SB1750 eliminates the position of election administrator from counties with a population greater than 3.5 million - again Harris is the only affected county.

Lmao what a bunch of completely shameless horseshit

14 hours ago, troph said:

we always relied on the house to defeat anti-lgbtq bills when I was lobbying.

that's not it.

long line of reasonable speakers, Joe Strauss being the previous one.  

I fear that will break soon though if we don't turn this around very, very soon.  as it stands, crap still makes its way through.

Bonnen was good too.  Briefly.

Edited by WBT

^

I don't know who that Rep. is.  But I know he won't get this reference, and many of you won't either.  But some of you guys are about my age and have a very similar taste in humor/old TV.  That guy literally looks like Thomas Lennon and Joe Lo Truglio somehow made a baby together during their time at "The State (Leg.)"  I mean, it's uncanny.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

The party of small government and local control right?

Its going to be really amusing to watch these rats go back to wailing about "local control" or "hands off of my city/local/county government" and scramble to roll back this state level power grab the second it looks like maybe the Legislature will flip to Democrat majorities...

12 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Its going to be really amusing to watch these rats go back to wailing about "local control" or "hands off of my city/local/county government" and scramble to roll back this state level power grab the second it looks like maybe the Legislature will flip to Democrat majorities...

No current elected official will have to worry about that ever

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

The party of small government and local control right?

"“We want those small-business owners creating new jobs and providing for their families, not trying to navigate a byzantine array of local regulations that twist and turn every time” they cross city limits, said state Rep. Dustin Burrows, the Lubbock Republican carrying the bill in the House."

Are they running their business out of a trailer?

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

They are desperate as hell.  The polling/demographics data they see in private must be worse than what we see here and there in public polling.

You keep saying that. Nothing in our elections shows any possible trend in that direction. They are just power grabbing because they can.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

So at what point is this fuckery a direct violation of our states constitution? It is part of our state governments mandate to "make suitable provision for the support and maintenance of an efficient system of public free schools"

Lulz. Like that piece of paper means shit.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Captainant said:

So at what point is this fuckery a direct violation of our states constitution? It is part of our state governments mandate to "make suitable provision for the support and maintenance of an efficient system of public free schools"

If that's actually how the provision in the constitution reads - and if it's not addressed elsewhere - then that phrase is so vague it's practically meaningless.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Captainant said:

giphy.gif

Your UT degrees aren't going to be worth shit in a couple of years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

You keep saying that. Nothing in our elections shows any possible trend in that direction. They are just power grabbing because they can.

There's grabbing power, and there's trying to hold on to it.  A lot of these folks are watching other states flip, they are aware that Texas is a minority-majority state and that Hispanics/Lationos have hit 40% of the state as whites have dropped to 39% (and falling).  They are aware that they have uncharismatic people like Ted Cruz, or that while successful now, gerrymandering can only get you so far as the population shifts around for various reasons faster than they can gerrymander.

They are doing the very things that other red states are trying to do to stem the tide, and the very things they'd need to do as more and more young people are eligible and motivated to vote.  Young people/college students clearly scare the fuck out of them, as a few other threads here have the audio to show it.

Keep in mind that some of them have polling information that is a lot better than what floats around in public (because they pay a pretty penny).  I know organizations like Texas Tribune, etc., put out plenty of good info given their limited means, but a lot of that stuff is fairly simple polls.  I have friends who work at an analytics company that focuses a lot of effort on Texas, and they are constantly trawling social media, constantly doing polling or data capture, looking at everything from home sales to birth rates to the makeup of PTA boards to what stores are moving into areas, what stores are closing, what stores are popular, what companies are moving in, what companies have closed, to car sales (young families prefer these vehicles, and these vehicles are selling well) and the list goes on and on.  Things like the longterm fallout from COVID and large companies moving in are tracked and analyzed.

Republican politicians are reading the reports they are putting out about this stuff, and it's far more accurate than a poll of a thousand people across Texas that some news organizations do.  This is drilling down into say looking at certain housing changes in areas that are occurring (younger/poorer people being priced out or the opposite -  more subdivisions, new large-scale apartment complexes, etc.) or area employers are changing/going under, or new employers are coming in, and who are they hiring (college educated, etc.).

The thing is, you and I can both be right - some Republicans are pushing this as a power grab, others are doing it while they still can in order to keep a Republican hold on power.  They can't win elections in Harris County, but they can both make it difficult to vote for future elections, and also take power away from local elected officials in order to extend Republican rule over areas that are done with the Republicans.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Ho hum. 

Also FUCK YOU PATRICK

The debate over the bill was acrimonious, with Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick reprimanding Gutierrez for what he deemed as a personal attack on Hall during the debate. Patrick took the unusual move of ending Gutierrez’s time to speak on the bill.

2 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I think it's simpler than that.  I think they feel like they can get people who actually like this shit to move here.  You keep the home grown minorities down and uneducated and replenish the white power areas with assholes who want to move to an asshile state. 

At the end of the day, they have to have the jobs here to get those people to move.  A bunch of libertarian tech bro types didn't just move here randomly over the past few years - there were a lot of jobs just waiting for them, they had WFH opportunities, or they were transferring with their companies (Musk's, etc.).  And you're not going to get a bunch of farmers/ranchers picking up in other states and moving here because it's red or because Abbott is governor or whatever.

And honestly, if you are an asshole and want to move to an asshole state, Florida has that crown currently.

• Hook 'Em 1