Jump to content

Ames delivery driver tried to put UT MBB on blast for only tipping him $58 update: he lied, it was $87


Recommended Posts

 

what a jabroni.

 

edit: guy from UT Sports Management has already called him out for lying, with proof:

 

dude made $87 dropping off food and felt the need to cry about and lie about it on social media, in some attempt to shame UT MBB.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886ca12axbk04ktup3uco

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • shadow_operative changed the title to delivery driver trying to put UT MBB on blast for only tipping him $58 update: he lied, it was $87
  • Pancho changed the title to Ames delivery driver tried to put UT MBB on blast for only tipping him $58 update: he lied, it was $87
Just now, ztejas said:

Someone tell that ass clown he isn't waiting tables.

Boo hoo I got a $58 tip for driving from A to B. 

And it was actually $82!  
I will say if he had a shitload of food which required multiple bags to keep warm and had to make multiple trips from his car to the hotel room then that goes beyond the $5/10 tip range and deserves a little more. And $58 would have been a lot more!  But they did 82!  Fucker got the biggest tip of his life as a delivery dude and then shit all over it while lying. What an asshole. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Isn’t it possible that a food delivery driver in Ames, Iowa doesn’t know what 10% of 580 is?

That’s what I’m leaning towards. He wasn’t intentionally lying, he just sucks at math. Admission standards at ISU are on par with community college 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Y’all have obviously never dealt with the death defying snarl of metal and humanity that is Ames traffic 

He probably had to wait behind and then pass 6 combines on the way. 
 

hell a combine or tractor might be his delivery vehicle and diesel ain’t cheap. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In all honesty, Ames' infrastructure has never caught up to the growth of the community and it has really bad congestion issues for a city of it's size.  It's pushing 70K in the city proper, and the main east/west thoroughfare (Lincoln Way) is only 2 lanes in each direction, and due to the narrow ROW, the vast majority of intersections don't have separate left turn lanes.  This means every left turn off of Lincoln Way is executed from the left lane of traffic with no bypass option other than getting in the right lane.  As you can imagine, that leads to an unusual level of congestion.

Lincoln Way was redone when the city was approximately half of it's current size population-wise.  It was a problem 20 years (and 20K people) ago and it's only gotten worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What is the standard percentage for a delivery?

I'd say for a large(r) order, with multiple trips to car and back...I'd go 15%.  Basically, when it comes to hospitality:

30% special event/special attention waitstaff service

25% very good-exceptional waitstaff service

20% basic waitstaff service 

15% below average waitstaff service, delivery service with reliable delivery

10% to-go orders from the bar or hostess stand.  And really the kitchen and runners deserve that, not the person that simply handed it across the counter to me.

At some point, there is a diminishing rate of marginal utility.  At some point, you're just carrying in boxes...doesn't really matter how "high-end" the sandwiches inside are.  Kinda like several bottles of wine at a group dinner.  If I already know what I'm ordering and you're just basically corking them, after a 2-3, I'm not tipping 25% anymore, probably going down to 10-15% for additional bottles of same.  At that point, it's just a corkscrew, no special requests from the kitchen are being made.  

But it's Ames...the Cobble Hill of Iowa.  $82 is only like $19 to the rest of us with their cost of living.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What is the standard percentage for a delivery?

It's not a percentage.  $5.00 is a decent tip.  $1.00 is trash.  $2.00 is pretty trash.  $10.00 is excellent.  Unless you are talking about multiple trips to and from the car to a hard to get to place (like a hotel) then you should probably tip at least $10 per trip it takes if that makes sense.  But just ordering pizza or something like that to your home?  Tip $5.00 and you are fine.  Regarless of order size. Tip 2.00 and you are an asshole, even if it's only a $10.00 meal and thats 20%

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What is the standard percentage for a delivery?

$5 minimum, even if it’s just a $15 pizza.  15-20% once you eclipse the $5 threshold.  I would probably cut it off at a point, like $50 total tip, but I don’t order hundreds of dollars worth of food for delivery very often.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

$87 for maybe 30 minutes of work, including drive time across a small town (if that)?

That's a goldmine, baby.  I get not going with a straight % if it's a single pizza or something like that, but 15+% on the pre-tax amount for a large order is more than generous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, conVINCEd said:

$5 minimum, even if it’s just a $15 pizza.  15-20% once you eclipse the $5 threshold.  I would probably cut it off at a point, like $50 total tip, but I don’t order hundreds of dollars worth of food for delivery very often.

This is the way.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since we are talking tips- my office does lunch drop. I usually do 1.50 tip when I order, assuming there will be several orders that day for delivery and each will tip something similar. Also sound fair?  
 

if there’s only like 3 orders that day maybe they get shorted. But if there’s 15-20 they might make out well.  But I don’t know the total tip amount for the day’s delivery. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Since we are talking tips- my office does lunch drop. I usually do 1.50 tip when I order, assuming there will be several orders that day for delivery and each will tip something similar. Also sound fair?  

You mean several orders to your specific office?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Yes.  From one place per day who get the orders in advance. So one trip. 

I'd say that's probably OK if it's 5+ orders and all tip similarly.

Honestly, if everyone is working through lunch then the company should buy it, but that's a different story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I delivered food (and more) in and around Austin + Travis and Williamson counties for more than a decade and i've seen and experienced it all. a trip of mine that was similar to this Ames guy: 

i was working for Favor and got an order to pick up a pallet of goods from The Container Store over by NXNW and deliver it/unload it to a store on S Congress. the order was over $800, and when i got to the store on SoCo it took me i think five trips to unload all of the stuff. the lady who owned the store tipped me $80. the entire trip took like 50-55 minutes, and my attitude was, "i just got paid $80 for less than an hour of work and very very little manual labor. awesome!" but hey, that's just me.

the worst? i once delivered a catering order to Round Rock PD, where i was splitting the tip with everyone who spent almost an hour preparing the order of sandwiches. RRPD stiffed me/us, and when my boss emailed them about it they never responded. fucking pricks.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd say that's probably OK if it's 5+ orders and all tip similarly.

Honestly, if everyone is working through lunch then the company should buy it, but that's a different story.

Ok let me give more detail. 
 

Lunchdrop is an app.  Our office is a participant. Every morning, the app tells us what today’s kitchen or kitchens are (sometimes crap like Applebees, sometimes local places, etc, whatever places are near the office and agree to be on the app from the service end). The entire office has until 10:30 to put in our orders, or until the maximum number of orders is met. Then the stuff is prepared and delivered all at one time to a bench in the office entrance, at which time we all get a text saying your food is here. 
 

its like carpooling with lunch orders. 
 

but I never know how many people order on a given day not how much or how little each one tips. 
 

eta there’s around 100 people in my office daily, and usually a fair number of orders on the bench each time I retrieve mine. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I delivered food (and more) in and around Austin + Travis and Williamson counties for more than a decade and i've seen and experienced it all. a trip of mine that was similar to this Ames guy: 

i was working for Favor and got an order to pick up a pallet of goods from The Container Store over by NXNW and deliver it/unload it to a store on S Congress. the order was over $800, and when i got there it took me i think five trips to unload all of the stuff. the lady who owned the store tipped me $80. the entire trip like 50-55 minutes, and my attitude was, "i just got paid $80 for less than an hour of work and very very little manual labor. awesome!" but hey, that's just me.

the worst? i once delivered a catering order to Round Rock PD, where i was going to spilt the tip with everyone who spent almost an hour preparing the order of sandwiches. RRPD stiffed me/us, and when my boss emailed them about it they never responded. fucking pricks.

They were pissed at you for sending a bill for the actual lunch.  They figured they should get comped like they do when they are eating at restaurants around town. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok let me give more detail. 
 

Linchdrop is an app.  Our office is a participant. Every morning, the app tells us what today’s kitchen or kitchens are (sometimes crap like Applebees, sometimes local places, etc, whatever places are near the office and agree to be on the app from the service end). The entire office has until 10:30 to put in our orders, or until the maximum number of orders is met. Then the stuff is prepared and delivered all at one time to a bench in the office entrance, at which time we all get a text saying your food is here. 
 

its like carpooling with lunch orders. 
 

but I never know how many people order on a given day not how much or how little each one tips. 

IF everyone is tipping $1.50 that's probably a pretty decent deal all the way around.  That seems like a smart/cool set up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok let me give more detail. 
 

Lunchdrop is an app.  Our office is a participant. Every morning, the app tells us what today’s kitchen or kitchens are (sometimes crap like Applebees, sometimes local places, etc, whatever places are near the office and agree to be on the app from the service end). The entire office has until 10:30 to put in our orders, or until the maximum number of orders is met. Then the stuff is prepared and delivered all at one time to a bench in the office entrance, at which time we all get a text saying your food is here. 
 

its like carpooling with lunch orders. 
 

but I never know how many people order on a given day not how much or how little each one tips. 
 

eta there’s around 100 people in my office daily, and usually a fair number of orders on the bench each time I retrieve mine. 

i don’t work in the office anymore but that’s pretty cool

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best tip I ever got came when I delivered 100 pizzas to the Connally high school football team right after they had suffered a tough playoff loss. The football coach who signed for the order (and who surely had nothing to do with ordering it and wasn't thinking about how much he should tip) did not leave a tip. in this case I had actually did have to walk up and down a flight of stairs probably 10 or more times carrying and unloading all of the pizzas before setting up the tables with plates and napkins, etc. this was also after our store had closed, as we were waiting for the team to return from new braunfels. when i got back to the store my manager could not believe I had been stiffed, so he altered the price of the order and made it to where I received a $100 tip.

well, when my manager got home that night he just happened to tell his dad about it, and his dad emailed PISD and the superintendent about me getting stuffed. i got to work a couple of days later to find $100 and a hand written apology from the PISD Super, lol. polar opposite of my experience with RRPD. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

The best tip I ever got came when I delivered 100 pizzas to the Connally high school football team right after they had suffered a tough playoff loss. The football coach who signed for the order (and who surely had nothing to do with ordering it and wasn't thinking about how much he should tip) did not leave a tip. in this case I had actually did have to walk up and down a flight of stairs probably 10 or more times carrying and unloading all of the pizzas before setting up the tables with plates and napkins, etc. this was also after our store had closed, as we were waiting for the team to return from new braunfels. when i got back to the store my manager could not believe I had been stiffed, so he altered the price of the order and made it to where I received a $100 tip.

well, when my manager got home that night he just happened to tell his dad about it, and his dad emailed PISD and the superintendent about me getting stuffed. i got to work a couple of days later to find $100 and a hand written apology from the PISD Super, lol. polar opposite of my experience with RRPD. 

Managers who don't adjust tickets when their employees get stiffed are such gutless pussies.  Use your discretion to comp a $20 entree so your employee gets to take something home off that ticket. 

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Managers who don't adjust tickets when their employees get stiffed are such gutless pussies.  Use your discretion to comp a $20 entree so your employee gets to take something home off that ticket. 

yeah this, plus, my loyalty to that owner/store went way up after that. the next time he needed me to work a double you can bet i didn't make up some lame ass excuse. i made up a GREAT excuse, air tight. gotta show the respect right back, you know?

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, I get it, I just think companies should be aware of the effort staff goes through to stay in for lunch.  It saves a lot of time "off the clock".

I used to always make it a point to pay for lunch at least once a week.  They were certainly free to leave for lunch and I didn't encourage staying at the desk except in unusual situations, but just as a form of office morale everyone loves free food, and when you sit in the conference room and eat free food with your fellow employees for 30 minutes and talk about kids and movies and TV shows you tend to think of that coworker as a human being deserving of the benefit of the doubt. 

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I used to always make it a point to pay for lunch at least once a week.  They were certainly free to leave for lunch and I didn't encourage staying at the desk except in unusual situations, but just as a form of office morale everyone loves free food, and when you sit in the conference room and eat free food with your fellow employees for 30 minutes and talk about kids and movies and TV shows you tend to think of that coworker as a human being deserving of the benefit of the doubt. 

 

Absolutely.  On a couple of high-pressure occasions, we would ask our team to work through lunch for a month or so.  We'd bring in food every day.  There was some of the expected bullshit about families, current events, etc. but in the end we go t a LOT accomplished in a small amount of time for the price of some pizzas or Chik-Fil-A or whatever.  It was pretty easy to justify to the CEO -- "you're getting 20 man-hours worth of work out of a team that you pay roughly $2000 per hour total, and it cost you about $200 to do so."

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, honolulu horn said:

I remember a thread on the old site arguing about what a reasonable tip is for carry out. Derka I'm pretty sure you were giving out good advice on that thread too. It was the most divisive thread this side of Applewhite vs Simms. 

I have a hard time with carry out and order from a counter places. I feel like I'm almost always a good tipper with bags, meals, deliveries and other services but am I really supposed to give the guy at the front counter at Papa Johns $3.50 on my 36.50 order when I go to the hassle of picking it up?  Do the employees at Torchy's really expect 15 or 20% for dropping my food off when I ordered it myself, got my drink, got my refill and I'm bussing my own dishes to the trash can?  So, they are essentially dropping off food and wiping tables.  Is that 10%? Is that rounding up and adding a dollar? is there an actual expectation of 20%?  I have no idea.  

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

Tipping is fucking stupid. Can’t wait until this country abandons that dumb shit. 

I've just loved the awesome service I've received all over Europe and Australia with people not working for tips.  They are always super motivated and the tip is absolutely not included in the price I pay for the meal because they are paying the wait staff actual wages unlike their American counterparts.  I can hardly wait until I can turn my dinner with Derka at the Pflugerville Chilis into a 2 hour affair of leisure as we go 15 minutes at a time staring at our spent app plate and empty water glass and wonder when the waiter will deign to saunter over and refill our water glasses and ask us how the skillet queso was that we just got done crushing. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...