Ames delivery driver tried to put UT MBB on blast for only tipping him $58 update: he lied, it was $87

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Vertuzzi said:

Tipping is fucking stupid. Can’t wait until this country abandons that dumb shit. 

But then the business owners would have to pay staff a wage they could live on instead of passing that responsibility and expense on to the customers

Edited by Jebus

3 minutes ago, Jebus said:

But then the business owners would have to pay staff a wage they could live on instead of passing that responsibility and expense on to the customers

Dude go work the actual books on a restaurant. They are awful. There is a reason why 90% of them fail inside of 5 years. It’s almost impossible to make a profit. If they had to pay the staff a living wage your cheeseburger would just cost 20% more. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

Hey, do you guys tip at Sonic?

I was a cook at Sonic in high school and the sluts on skates got to keep their tips for themselves, so no, I don't tip because they don't do any harder work than anyone else. I've heard that some other locations share tips with the cooks, but it was clearly not company policy, so I still refuse to tip at Sonic. Especially now since they have a regular drive thru, I use that to avoid any need to tip. 

1 hour ago, Vertuzzi said:

Tipping is fucking stupid. Can’t wait until this country abandons that dumb shit. 

I don’t disagree that it’s stupid but as a good tipper I sort of like that I end up getting great service and even free beers from time to time after service staff get to know me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I don’t disagree that it’s stupid but as a good tipper I sort of like that I end up getting great service and even free beers from time to time after service staff get to know me. 

This. My wife and I eat at the bar of a particular restaurant near us about once a week. We've gotten to know the bartenders quite well and I tip very generously. The ring up the first drink we have and that's it. Glasses stay full the entire time we're there and we never pay for more than one round.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, royiv said:

This. My wife and I eat at the bar of a particular restaurant near us about once a week. We've gotten to know the bartenders quite well and I tip very generously. The ring up the first drink we have and that's it. Glasses stay full the entire time we're there and we never pay for more than one round.

I know it's just me being awkward, but I don't like those type of deals. I generally like to tip generously, but like in this instance, once the free drinks started coming, I would start questioning, "ok, should I tip this cat even more now".  And then the awkwardness once you've become accustomed to said free drinks, and you get charged for one.  "WTF, dude!?"  Even worse if you've upped your tip game to compensate for the free drinks. It's all too confusing...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dude go work the actual books on a restaurant. They are awful. There is a reason why 90% of them fail inside of 5 years. It’s almost impossible to make a profit. If they had to pay the staff a living wage your cheeseburger would just cost 20% more. 

Not only that, if you're actually good at being a server, that would almost certainly mean taking a pay cut. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, royiv said:

What does the owner think of you and the bartender stealing from him?

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Kwix said:

What does the owner think of you and the bartender stealing from him?

No problems. Everyone is happy. Customer gets great service, owner has an incredibly loyal customer that spends a bunch of money at their establishment and their employees are happy picking up a $100 tip every time we darken the door.

8 minutes ago, royiv said:

No problems. Everyone is happy. Customer gets great service, owner has an incredibly loyal customer that spends a bunch of money at their establishment and their employees are happy picking up a $100 tip every time we darken the door.

Spend a bunch of money on one round of drinks?   Bartender is stealing from the owner.  Does he know this?

Just now, closetohumping said:

Spend a bunch of money on one round of drinks?   Bartender is stealing from the owner.  Does he know this?

Reading comprehension is your friend. Bar of a restaurant. Food is purchased and consumed. And this isn't Applebee's in terms of price. Some of you guys have obviously never worked in hospitality. Restaurants regularly take care of their very best customers. Thread derail over.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, royiv said:

Reading comprehension is your friend. Bar of a restaurant. Food is purchased and consumed. And this isn't Applebee's in terms of price. Some of you guys have obviously never worked in hospitality. Restaurants regularly take care of their very best customers. Thread derail over.

You’re an incredibly loyal customer.  I read that part.  Does the owner know you are paying roughly 20% of the tab?  I’m assuming you have four or five drinks?

edit*. Ok so you spend money on food there.  Got it

Edited by closetohumping

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

You're right that restaurants (owners / managers) take care of their best customers, and comp shit all the time.  That is based on how much of your money goes to said restaurant.  What restaurants don't do is comp shit based on how well people tip.

What you described was the bartender giving you free drinks because you tip well.  That is stealing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Kwix said:

You're right that restaurants (owners / managers) take care of their best customers, and comp shit all the time.  That is based on how much of your money goes to said restaurant.  What restaurants don't do is comp shit based on how well people tip.

What you described was the bartender giving you free drinks because you tip well.  That is stealing.

I’ve worked in quite a few restaurants from chains to mom and pops. Owners and managers will certainly buy a round but I haven’t met one that was ok with charging just one round and comping the rest.  

and I’ve known my fair share of servers and bartenders who will stick extra drinks on another customers tab so that their friends can drink for less

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I have no idea how restaurants survive out here in California.  Waiters make 15 + tips.  

and yep, margins are incredibly thin in restaurants.  Bars have a greater buffer of course

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

how did this turn into a thread where people pop in to brag about what awesome tippers they are and how they get special service everywhere they go because of all the money they throw at the bar tender?

First time, huh?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kwix said:

Actually it's called running a bar/restaraunt. Shit like that is priced in. If the bartender gets excessive with it to a degree past what the owner is comfortable with then that bartender will be fired. 

I was out the other night and both owners were hanging out behind the bar. It was someone's birthday and one owner poured shots for everyone in the immediate vicinity and didn't charge anyone. 

I should have let him know he was stealing from himself. 

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

how did this turn into a thread where people pop in to brag about what awesome tippers they are and how they get special service everywhere they go because of all the money they throw at the bar tender?

Well you turned it into a thread describing your magnanimity as a tipped employee, I liked that story.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Actually it's called running a bar/restaraunt. Shit like that is priced in. If the bartender gets excessive with it to a degree past what the owner is comfortable with then that bartender will be fired. 

I was out the other night and both owners were hanging out behind the bar. It was someone's birthday and one owner poured shots for everyone in the immediate vicinity and didn't charge anyone. 

Been awhile but in a former life can tell you that many companies have a budget for comps and expect managers to use all of it and even document some of it. But yeah, probably bartender shrinkage.

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You don’t know the difference between an owner and an employee?   It’s ok for Mike Dell to give me a free laptop but it’s not ok for his employee to do so.  

roys original post didn’t mention the owner.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Well you turned it into a thread describing your magnanimity as a tipped employee, I liked that story.

Been awhile but in a former life can tell you that many companies have a budget for comps and expect managers to use all of it and even document some of it. But yeah, probably bartender shrinkage.

Spills and comps are part of the formula and yes vips can get a couple of rounds and sometimes even the meal is taken care of.   Of course some bar owners have cameras around the till to see if the Bartender rings in drinks

23 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I've just loved the awesome service I've received all over Europe and Australia with people not working for tips.  They are always super motivated and the tip is absolutely not included in the price I pay for the meal because they are paying the wait staff actual wages unlike their American counterparts.  I can hardly wait until I can turn my dinner with Derka at the Pflugerville Chilis into a 2 hour affair of leisure as we go 15 minutes at a time staring at our spent app plate and empty water glass and wonder when the waiter will deign to saunter over and refill our water glasses and ask us how the skillet queso was that we just got done crushing. 

counterpoint: it's nice to go somewhere and know that the price on the menu is what my actual bill is instead of being 30% higher. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You don’t know the difference between an owner and an employee?   It’s ok for Mike Dell to give me a free laptop but it’s not ok for his employee to do so.  

roys original post didn’t mention the owner.  

Free laptop? What the fuck are you talking about. Bartenders work in alignment with the expectations set by upper management or ownership. If they don't meet expectations then they get fired. It isn't "stealing" when ownership encourages you to take a drink or two off of a regular customer's tab every once in awhile. 

In my experience - the places where you're more likely to get a drink comped are places where the bartenders or bar manager is in direct communication with ownership or the HMFIC (like the example I gave).

Edited by ztejas

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Free laptop? What the fuck are you talking about. Bartenders work in alignment with the expectations set by upper management or ownership. If they don't meet expectations then they get fired. It isn't "stealing" when ownership encourages you to take a drink or two off of a regular customer's tab every once in awhile. 

In my experience - the places where you're more likely to get a drink comped are places where the bartenders or bar manager is in direct communication with ownership or the HMFIC (like the example I gave).

There are also places where part of the tip share goes to the restaraunt/ownership. 

Have you ever worked at a bar or owned a bar?  Shit gets stolen all the time.  You may not believe this but bartenders also drink on the job and sometimes the owner may not approve.  I used to work in restaurants and have owned several bars.  Also worked for Dell.  People give shit away and it’s not always above board. 

Buy one round get remaining drinks for free is not a policy I’m familiar with

op didn’t say shit about the owner 

Edited by closetohumping
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Bartenders work in alignment with the expectations set by upper management or ownership.

First, thank you for this little nugget.  Best laugh I've had all week.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It isn't "stealing" when ownership encourages you to take a drink or two off of a regular customer's tab every once in awhile. 

This is not the scenario we are discussing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You may not believe this but bartenders also drink on the job

That's a separate issue entirely. 

You are arguing that the bartender in one specific example may or may not be stealing. Broadly defining any sort of similar practice by a bartender as "stealing" is silly. 

Maybe he's pulling a fast one maybe he isn't - that isn't the point. Bartenders comp drinks or take them off of tickets all the time in line with how ownership wants the place run. Probably because the owners like making money. 

I've been to places where it's damn near a policy for them to take a drink off the ticket. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's a separate issue entirely. 

You are arguing that the bartender in one specific example may or may not be stealing. Broadly defining any sort of similar practice by a bartender as "stealing" is silly. 

Maybe he's pulling a fast one maybe he isn't - that isn't the point. Bartenders comp drinks or take them off of tickets all the time in line with how ownership wants the place run. Probably because the owners like making money. 

I've been to places where it's damn near a policy for them to take a drink off the ticket. 

I’m talking about Roy’s incident specifically.  Yes I allowed my bartenders a comp and spill till nightly.  However if he/she continually gives the buy one drink for free the rest of the night policy, he will go broke swiftly.  “A drink off the ticket” is way different than “charge for. But keep pouring” especially in a high end place.  I’m assuming Roy wasn’t drinking lone star from the tap 

since Roy didn’t mention the owner in the first place, he left it up for interpretation.  All we read was “we go to this place where the waitress only charged for one round and we tip her 100.00”

Edited by closetohumping
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kwix said:

First, thank you for this little nugget.  Best laugh I've had all week.

Because you ignored the next sentence? 

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If they don't meet expectations then they get fired.

13 minutes ago, Kwix said:

This is not the scenario we are discussing. 

You have no idea what the relationship between the bartender and owner is like in this scenario. Maybe he's stealing maybe he isn't. It's possible he's just treating regular customers the way ownership would like him to. 

On 1/17/2023 at 3:32 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

My idea of a small town is one with less than 1,000 people.

But I grew up in the country between a town of 120 people and a town of maybe 30 people.

Agreed; a true small town has no franchise fast food. If you have a Sonic or DQ, you’re not truly a small town….

EDIT - Unless you’re 1-2 miles off the exit of an interstate/major state highway

Edited by Ignatius

38 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Because you ignored the next sentence? 

You have no idea what the relationship between the bartender and owner is like in this scenario. Maybe he's stealing maybe he isn't. It's possible he's just treating regular customers the way ownership would like him to. 

Maybe the owner is fucking the bartender and doesn’t GAF that he’s being ripped off. Would not be the first time that played out…

We had an all you can drink beer buffet in the mid 90’s at Copper Tank.  We knew the servers, and they knew they would be tipped very well when they brought out a $10 tab to 8 guys who had been drinking for a couple of hours.  Copper Tank went out of business shortly thereafter.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

We had an all you can drink beer buffet in the mid 90’s at Copper Tank.  We knew the servers, and they knew they would be tipped very well when they brought out a $10 tab to 8 guys who had been drinking for a couple of hours.  Copper Tank went out of business shortly thereafter.

They probably weren't charging you for the beer because they were technically a restaurant that had alcohol sales above the legal percentage. They tried to add lunch service and what not towards the end to try and hang on. When they did that it made sense why pints were a dollar all the time lol.  Was a copper tank regular 99-01/02 including when they added poker tournaments with prizes but still nobody buying food lol.

Someone posted above about how tipping allows a waiter to somewhat control his/her wages.  This is true.  I did it all when living in Knoxville.  I waited, was in charge of our banquet room/parties, delivered for parties of 50, 100+, worked the to go window, etc... The few times in which tip-sharing was required, the hard workers like myself worked just as hard; the lazy asses were, well, lazy.

All the arguing on this thread somewhat simplifies the point.  For example, it's possible this guy just put the sandwiches in a bag and took them to another location.  In that case, he'd better be really effing happy with $87.  When I catered for the Mexican restaurant I worked for, I went in 2 hours early, organized everything, made tortillas, etc...  I then set the food up at the location and returned later to pick up the serving chafers, utensils, etc... So I often put in a good 3+ hours on orders over $500.  I almost always got 25%+.  There were other orders in which I basically just took the food (in disposable containers) to another location.  In that case, $10-$20 was ok assuming I didn't have to drive too far.

As far as to go (Macaroni Grille), a buck or two for small orders/$5+ for orders over $50 was the norm.  

One last thing... You never truly know the situation your waiter, delivery driver, etc... has "behind the scenes".  Some places do share-tip.  When I worked to go, I busted my ass all night helping others.  It wasn't just a sit-and-occasionally put an order together.  I had to help bus, run food, clean, etc... If it was a slow night and I only had a couple of orders, I worked my butt off for several hours for less than, say, $10.  Customers would have had no idea.  This is why I ALWAYS tip very well regardless of the situation.  Hell, I'll tip well for bad service.  The only time I ever tipped as low as 15% was a time when the waitress - literally - sat on her phone at another table throughout our entire meal.  Even then, I told myself that, perhaps she was dealing was something important.

tl;dr - There are many, many different factors at play when dealing with waiters and delivery drivers.

• Hook 'Em 1