WTF is wrong with you, Wales, Alaska?

Nice Guy Eddie

The bear had chased residents after entering the western Alaska town of Wales before attacking the woman and boy, an Alaska State Troopers dispatch report said.

The bear was shot and killed by another resident as it attacked the two victims, according to the report.

Well it's obvious who was slowest.

• Haha 1

Bears are fucking terrifying.  Giant monsters that eat you ass first while you are still alive.  Can outrun a car over short distances, have noses more sensitive than any canine, and have razors for claws and will eat their own cubs if necessary for food.

Nope.

FancySevereBorzoi-size_restricted.gif

The Steve Rinella hunting story of being charged by a grizzly on Afognak Island, AK is wild.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2023 at 9:23 AM, SHOOTER12 said:

I never leave home without mine.

Where the fuck do you live you need that kind of firepower to go shopping?

These are two autopsies that are totally fine remaining sealed.  I don’t wanna know what kinda damage, And it what order, a murdering Polar bear can do.  

in other news, the baby polar says,    “Cause I’m fucking freezing!” 

26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

These are two autopsies that are totally fine remaining sealed.  I don’t wanna know what kinda damage, And it what order, a murdering Polar bear can do.  

I live in Nacogdoches Texas,  the wild chickens and goats are vicious around here.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Supposedly there's some 2nd rate college in the area working on altering the genetics of farm animals and something went terribly wrong🫢

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Haha 2

While you guys were measuring your "ammo", the Polar Bear ate two of your children.

But yeah, I try and avoid bears but sometimes...you never know.  Before we had kids, I did a deep backcountry multi-day hike/camp in RMNP and there was a bear probably 5 yards from us that night.  That was the last time I probably do a deep hike like that for the rest of my life.  My buddy and I had no gameplan.  They had showed us where bears were spotted recently and we were a few miles from the last sighting, but we were also 3 miles from the nearest other campers and many miles more from the nearest ranger station.  He brought a pistol from Texas, but left it in the car because he didn't want to disclose it to the ranger.  We sweated it that night.  I've also been deep pack-in country in Big Bend when we saw a big cat.  But there was several of us.  We woulda been fucked up but could, in aggregate, neutralize it.  That bear though given the rough size of it in the moonlight would have fucked me and buddy up in under a minute and nobody would know anything about it until the next maintenance trail service day a week later ,   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

While you guys were measuring your "ammo", the Polar Bear ate two of your children.

But yeah, I try and avoid bears but sometimes...you never know.  Before we had kids, I did a deep backcountry multi-day hike/camp in RMNP and there was a bear probably 5 yards from us that night.  That was the last time I probably do a deep hike like that for the rest of my life.  My buddy and I had no gameplan.  They had showed us where bears were spotted recently and we were a few miles from the last sighting, but we were also 3 miles from the nearest other campers and many miles more from the nearest ranger station.  He brought a pistol from Texas, but left it in the car because he didn't want to disclose it to the ranger.  We sweated it that night.  I've also been deep pack-in country in Big Bend when we saw a big cat.  But there was several of us.  We woulda been fucked up but could, in aggregate, neutralize it.  That bear though given the rough size of it in the moonlight would have fucked me and buddy up in under a minute and nobody would know anything about it until the next maintenance trail service day a week later ,   

71C8BA3B-9E45-4373-89B4-6E1CFC2316B8.jpeg.2d95cbfdea29f95d0a48813e2ffe26a0.jpeg

RMNP has grizzer bear pilgrim.  DNA says a polar bear is just a white grizzer.

I use Buffalo Bore 158 grain Outdoorsman cast lead for my .38 snubbie when I hike in eastern forest black bear country.   That would just piss a grizzly off though.

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

I use Buffalo Bore 158 grain Outdoorsman cast lead for my .38 snubbie when I hike in eastern forest black bear country.   That would just piss a grizzly off though.

If you're a good shot a .38 will fuck up a grizzly. Especially if using FMJ. 

9 hours ago, RPM said:

Not really

Correct. This is a fun read (which right off the bat includes 3 cases of grizzlies being killed with a 9mm):

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/handgun-or-pistol-defense-against-bear-attack-73-cases-96-effective/#axzz7qzMe0gyl

Basically - there are far more cases of pistols of various calibers being used to successfully defend against bear attacks - whether the bar ran off, died at the scene or was found dead later. 

However - against a polar bear - I'm packing at least a .357 FMJ and making sure I know my way around the gun. Because this is a fuller description of one of the encounters linked above:

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/details-of-22-pistol-defense-failure-against-polar-bear-in-norway/#axzz7qzMe0gyl

TLDR - polar bear took three .22 shots to the dome and didn't skip a beat - killing one dude and seriously injuring another.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Correct. This is a fun read (which right off the bat includes 3 cases of grizzlies being killed with a 9mm):

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/handgun-or-pistol-defense-against-bear-attack-73-cases-96-effective/#axzz7qzMe0gyl

Basically - there are far more cases of pistols of various calibers being used to successfully defend against bear attacks - whether the bar ran off, died at the scene or was found dead later. 

However - against a polar bear - I'm packing at least a .357 FMJ and making sure I know my way around the gun. Because this is a fuller description of one of the encounters linked above:

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/details-of-22-pistol-defense-failure-against-polar-bear-in-norway/#axzz7qzMe0gyl

TLDR - polar bear took three .22 shots to the dome and didn't skip a beat - killing one dude and seriously injuring another.

Yup. I have a .44 mag snubby I carry when hiking out west along with bear spray. The bear spray is to deter a bear attack. The snubby is in case the bear spray doesn't work. It used to be that the standard advice was bear spray is more effective than a firearm, but that advice was based on poor understandings of the scientific literature at the time. Even the authors of the studies that were used to justify that point of view have said that folks were comparing apples to oranges. Bear spray is great for preventing seemingly aggressive bears from getting near you, but if you decide you are just going to shoot any bear that makes you feel threatened you could be in for a rude awakening of the type that doesn't involve female genitalia. Once an attack is actually underway, the bear spray looses most of its efficacy and a surprising number of firearm calibers that used to be considered inadequate have been shown to be effective.

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

So one wasn't faster than the other...

• Hook 'Em 1

No grizzlies in CO anymore. That was just a cuddly black bear.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I never said it was a grizzly bear.  It was nearly pitch black but you could make out the general massive size by a waning moon.  Between trying to shit myself, I didn’t have the occasion to ask the bear where on KPCOGS nomenclatura he fell. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 10:08 PM, Al Czervik said:

Awaiting @mooseoutfront’s take on this tragedy. 

Checking in

Weird this story died in Alaska after the first day or two.  Makes me think the rumors I've heard are true.  Someone didn't follow trash protocol and the smell lured the bear in.  Wrong place, wrong time for the mom and kid.  Such is life up here, especially in polar bear country.