2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

I counted quickly so I might be off here but this is kind of incredible. 

'19 (20-12 start)

'18 (20-12 start)

'17 (20-12 start)

I think this is going to be how we start with Pierce based on the non-conference schedule and his approach to getting guys experience. 

Edited by texasstrong12

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I counted quickly so I might be off here but this is kind of incredible. 

'19 (20-12 start)

'18 (20-12 start)

'17 (20-12 start)

I think this is going to be how we start with Pierce based on the non-conference schedule and his approach to getting guys experience. 

Interesting stat.  Hopefully it ends the same this year (well CWS that is)

My expectations for this year are... well, nonexistent.  I mean, we will make the tournament.  We will probably host.  How far we go is hard to guess given our defensive, bullpen, youth and depth issues.  In other words, any advancing we do in the postseason will be pure gravy for me.

My real expectations are for next year.  Next year I expect us to start looking like the powerhouse that we should be and to be in the conversation for our seventh title.  And I expect us to win #7 and #8 within the next several years.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cajun said:

“Sorry Turner, you’re just not quite what we’re looking for...”

”Hey Turner, you there?  Pick up the phone man, I have some interesting and exciting news!!!”

Turner boxes up his Texas catcher voodoo doll...

"Be right there, coach!"

Edited by petscii
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

My expectations for this year are... well, nonexistent.  I mean, we will make the tournament.  We will probably host.  How far we go is hard to guess given our defensive, bullpen, youth and depth issues. 

You left out hitting.

Other than hitting, fielding, and pitching, we are looking sharp.  

Looks like Bertelson has also been catching.

https://www.hookem.com/story/loss-to-texas-am-at-home-provides-a-lesson-for-youthful-longhorns/

Texas catcher Turner Gauntt (36) speaks with Sam Bertelson (55) and pitching coach Phil Haig (15) at UFCU Disch-Falk Field on April 2, 2019. 

sss_TexasBaseball_626-1.jpg   

Edited by torre
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Behind the pen is out of the stadium. Behind a huge wall. Has this chucklefuck ever been to a game? 

I'd love to do a quiz and ask which way is left and right field to people who go to baseball games...

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Pierce said on the radio this morning that Texas received a waiver to add a player to the roster due to the two catchers' injuries..... So Horns are adding a walk-on catcher that practiced with the team this past fall.

really now

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

nm... 

Turner Gauntt (C) called back to the team yesterday.  (waiver from NCAA due to injuries.  Walk-on catcher.... practiced  with Horns in Fall ball)

he's done a little more than just practice in the fall.  He was on the 35 man roster all last year and went to Omaha.  He basically caught every bullpen session for the team last year.  Very good defensive catcher for sure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MAROON said:

he's done a little more than just practice in the fall.  He was on the 35 man roster all last year and went to Omaha.  He basically caught every bullpen session for the team last year.  Very good defensive catcher for sure.

I think he was a red shirt last year.

4 hours ago, MAROON said:

Turner also played for the Santa Barbara Foresters in the Calif Collegiate League (CCL) last summer. (with Fields, O'Donnell, Elder)

That was what was strange about him being cut.   Not sure,  but I think the team assigns players or has a say where they play summer ball.    The CCL is right behind Cape Cod in assigning the players with the most potential.    Don't recall anyone being cut that went to the CCL.

My guess (guess only) is that Pierce needed the scholarship/slot for another pitcher and did not want to carry 4 catchers including Caston Peter.   Also,  Gauntt does not seem to have the power that  Pierce covets to reach even the shortened version of DFF. (#miss the old Disch).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, torre said:

Turner also played for the Santa Barbara Foresters in the Calif Collegiate League (CCL) last summer. (with Fields, O'Donnell, Elder)

That was what was strange about him being cut.   Not sure,  but I think the team assigns players or has a say where they play summer ball.    The CCL is right behind Cape Cod in assigning the players with the most potential.    Don't recall anyone being cut that went to the CCL.

My guess (guess only) is that Pierce needed the scholarship/slot for another pitcher and did not want to carry 4 catchers including Caston Peter.   Also,  Gauntt does not seem to have the power that  Pierce covets to reach even the shortened version of DFF. (#miss the old Disch).

He also got hurt in the fall (is there something in the water there?) with a thumb issue and could not participate in practice.  45 guys for 35 spots - with two senior catchers returning (which almost never happens)

Edited by MAROON

NCAA now shows RPI almost from the outset of the season,  We are 20, dropping from 17.  Pretty sure that's the committee's starting point.

Currently WVa is the only higher RPI team left on the schedule, but OSU and OU are close enough that they won't be big RPI hits.  KU and KState will be though.

We really need to win the competitive series.

Texasstrong12 or Machinator can correct my "RPI needs" analysis.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ll be annoyed if the team that can win 5 of 6 vs LSU and tech at home can’t do enough on the road to host a regional. But it feels like it’s headed that direction, especially with a likely road series win taken from us by rain. 

How does it feel like that? We easily could have won all three of our conference road losses. I applaud all the prognosticators who seem to know exactly what is going to happen but it seems to me like things could easily go either way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ll be annoyed if the team that can win 5 of 6 vs LSU and tech at home can’t do enough on the road to host a regional. But it feels like it’s headed that direction, especially with a likely road series win taken from us by rain. 

41 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

How does it feel like that? We easily could have won all three of our conference road losses. I applaud all the prognosticators who seem to know exactly what is going to happen but it seems to me like things could easily go either way.

Yeah, our schedule gets exponentially easier from here on out and we’re only 4 spots out of hosting based on RPI and should have just won a road series against a quality opponent.  I’m not seeing how it’s  headed towards not hosting right now, other than that certain posters on this board just refuse to think anything positive about this team.

Sitting at 20 with the schedule we’ve had and all the talent/depth/injury issues we’ve dealt with is not a bad outcome so far, and I think we’ll improve our record a good bit as the schedule lightens up. We can hit teams that don’t have good pitching and we have a lot of those coming up.

2 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

Pierce needs to fix Zubia.  He has 2 hits in his last 20 at bats.

Oh, is that it? You should probably DM Pierce. I bet he just hasn’t thought of it.

Edited by Burt Macklin