2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

18 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Even worse, SA Lee changed the whole name to an acronym L.E.E. (Legacy of Educational Excellence), of which there is no excellence neither in education nor athletics. Whoever came up with the idea should be tarred and feathered, there's plenty of SA born heroes to name your school after.

Their soccer coach was smart enough to utilize that ISA magnet school on campus to become a powerhouse in recent years. Besides that yeah nothing excellent about that school. I believe they haven’t been to the football playoffs since 1993 or something 

The guy with a career record of 255-24 (not a typo)  in the biggest classification and more skins on the wall, and also a smaller ego than 99% of coaches out there is driving a bus on Friday night. Special guy

https://twitter.com/CoachJoseph/status/1692371835521040564?t=IMF71Jt2ynosPezz_k8ZKA&s=19

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I know Coach Joseph personally and that tweet doesn’t surprise me one bit! My Dad retired from Katy ISD, and even though he’s in his 80’s, loves his Tigers and even “works” the press box on Friday nights. G Joseph is “for real”!

My Dad, an over 30+ year TX HS FB Coach, used to always say during the “doledrums” of post-Mack, that UT should just hire Gary Joseph for the D side. Didn’t need to be the DC year one, but he’d be the DC within 2-3 years! That guy is a defensive mastermind and has seen it all, especially in TXHS football. All of our “local colleges” mirror what is seen on Friday nights - just my Dad’s and my opinion.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I know Coach Joseph personally and that tweet doesn’t surprise me one bit! My Dad retired from Katy ISD, and even though he’s in his 80’s, loves his Tigers and even “works” the press box on Friday nights. G Joseph is “for real”!

My Dad, an over 30+ year TX HS FB Coach, used to always say during the “doledrums” of post-Mack, that UT should just hire Gary Joseph for the D side. Didn’t need to be the DC year one, but he’d be the DC within 2-3 years! That guy is a defensive mastermind and has seen it all, especially in TXHS football. All of our “local colleges” mirror what is seen on Friday nights - just my Dad’s and my opinion.

Hook’em!!!

Except Joseph found his calling in TXHSFB. He’s a defensive whiz but a TXHSFB legend and guru. We’re all lucky he found his spot.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not to get away from my internal “bona fides,” but my Dad, even though he was “retired”, still had access to all of Mack’s spring coaching clinics and practice, throughout the Fall season.

Being a former player and TXHS coach had “weight” during Mack’s tenure.

Hook’em!!!

50 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Anyone know the call as far as how the heat may affect possible game cancelations?  I can't imagine they'll let my high school play their day game next Saturday w/ a forecast temp of 105.

Wussies. In my day, we played in asphalt when the air temperature was 124 degree. We played both ways, on offense and defense, with leather helmets and leather jockstraps. That didn't keep us from romancing the cheerleaders at halftime, though. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Wussies. In my day, we played in asphalt when the air temperature was 124 degree. We played both ways, on offense and defense, with leather helmets and leather jockstraps. That didn't keep us from romancing the cheerleaders at halftime, though. 

Yeah but you got to play on dirt and not 150 degrees cushy turf.

Seriously though my kid played an early game couple years ago where bunch of kids cleats basically melted off, completely separately from shoe

Anyone know the call as far as how the heat may affect possible game cancelations?  I can't imagine they'll let my high school play their day game next Saturday w/ a forecast temp of 105.

I officiated a game on opening weekend about 3-4 years ago in Dilly, TX and it was 105 at KO!
As an Umpire and not knowing when the first break/TO would occur, I put a small water bottle in my “black” pants pocket. It was gone before the end of the 1st Qtr and as we switched sides, I had my line Judge ask for a replacement!

I had heat rashes on my legs post game and I was just an official! This is from a guy that used to drink so much water at work that I’d have to pee every hour - on the hour! Tom Herman would’ve been proud of my “pee chart” success!

Hook’em!!!
  • Like 1

Not cancelled but they did push Aledo’s home opener Friday to 8p instead of 7:30p. It actually should create a good temp drop for kickoff.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

9 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Not cancelled but they did push Aledo’s home opener Friday to 8p instead of 7:30p. It actually should create a good temp drop for kickoff.

This is what a lot of teams are doing. A ton of games all around the state are being pushed back to 7:30 or 8.

Edited by Lonestar88

All of the talk is about Varsity games being pushed back, but imagine the 7-8 graders that play an A&B game starting in a week or so. Most Jr Highs don’t have lights, so they KO around 4:30, so they can try to complete the B game prior to darkness. As an official, we’re lucky to have a 3-man crew for those Tuesday to Thursday games. We’re talking about running & sweating your ass off in August to September!!!

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

21 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Not HS but Hill Country Middle moved their afternoon practices to mornings. This heat is no joke. I’m shocked more kids across Texas haven’t suffered heat stroke. Temps are just brutal. Credit to training staffs for keeping kids hydrated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes - if you’re parents of youngsters from 7th to 12, if they aren’t hydrating enough to the point that he is peeing every hour on hour, then they are hurting themselves. Make T Herman’s pee chart proud, as if you’re not peeing “clear piss” they are wrong! They need to be hydrating so much that they have to wake up in the middle of the night to pee. Just saying!

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/17/2023 at 7:29 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

It was pretty stupid that all the "Lee" schools essentially changed it to "Legacy"

Like come on, at least be unique.

Houston Lee was renamed "Margaret Wisdom" after a longtime teacher and yearbook advisor that was very popular. They originally changed the mascot to "Wizards," but it appears they changed it back to "Generals" when they moved into the school building HISD built next door.

16 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

We’re talking hydrating with WATER! Gatorade and the likes are for recovery only. Water should be the majority of their intake! Tea and sodas DO NOT count towards hydration of your youngsters!

Hook’em!!!

Everything counts towards hydration. Should you drink mostly water, yes. Should you drink only water, no. If you're handed a cold gatorade or coke, drink it. You'll sweat it out in 20 minutes anyway.

Edited by cmontexas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Yeah, Gatorade is fine if you're in a full lather/ warmed up.

Hydration occurs way the hell before practice starts though, and is helped greatly by re-hydrating afterword. You don't want to be slamming cokes or sugary drinks or whatever either.  It seemed like we'd have these guys puking their guts out on the morning practices.  "Well I drank orange juice this morning."

You dumbass...

2 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Everything counts towards hydration. Should you drink mostly water, yes. Should you drink only water, no. If you're handed a cold gatorade or coke, drink it. You'll sweat it out in 20 minutes anyway.

If it’s a really cold drink and you’re actively exercising you should probably hold it in your mouth a few seconds before swallowing, as cold liquid passing behind your heart is gonna accelerate your heart rate even more. In extreme heat though yeah priority 1 is keeping core temperature down. 

On 8/11/2023 at 9:09 PM, markstanco said:

Let’s take a look at the DUMBEST stadium layout in all of texas HS football. Texarkana Pleasant Grove:

d6bcecc42cf650400c71e3e0f17f23fa.jpg

Enjoy the shade visitor fans and visitor team while the home team and fans bake.

Dripping Springs had the same setup until they built their new stadium a few years ago.

On 8/21/2023 at 9:45 AM, Magus Ossis said:

Gatorade is better than water in the heat. Drinking too much water when one is volume depleted can result in death.

I would always tell patients if you're inside during the day (school, work, etc), water for hydration in preparation for practice, game, PT, workouts etc. During the activity (practice, game, etc) and afterwards, Gatorade is better for recovery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Any College Park parents on here? I think this was a great hire and Coats is a future star coach. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/hs-sports/football/article/new-culture-college-park-football-kyle-coats-18321373.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Sorry if paywalled. Don't know why it shows up for me, I don't subscribe there

For those “outside” games, whether it’s 7th through Varsity, the TASO/UIL group have authorized having “water breaks” during a break in action. What used to be 1:00 delay post TD/possession, will give the Referee “time” to let them hydrate, prior to action resuming! This is especially important, as the youngsters play during the heat of the day.

Hook’em!!!

4 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

For those “outside” games, whether it’s 7th through Varsity, the TASO/UIL group have authorized having “water breaks” during a break in action. What used to be 1:00 delay post TD/possession, will give the Referee “time” to let them hydrate, prior to action resuming! This is especially important, as the youngsters play during the heat of the day.

Hook’em!!!

"Why" all the "quotes"?

• Haha 1