2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

6 hours ago, Mittens said:

I miss the days when they held a regular season MILF Bowl game at DKR and there were a legit 25K at the game.

Fuck I miss shopping the Westlake HEB as a fresh divorcee in the spring after church. Sundresses for miles. 

Bernie Mac Day GIF

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Fuck I miss shopping the Westlake HEB as a fresh divorcee in the spring after church. Sundresses for miles. 

Bernie Mac Day GIF

You can still go by there and enjoy yoga pants season.  I filled out my bracket in advance.  I often volunteer to go shopping there while daughter is in 'sunday school' at the nearby church.  The weekday crowd candy is nice as well because of all the ladies getting out of the myriad yoga/pilates/fitness centers nearby.  I hate city living, but between the local haunts in the area plus working on campus a couple days a week, my cup runneth over in terms of ass viewing.  I dunno how you fellas in the rural corners of Texas function properly with nothing pleasing to the eye.  

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume LT-Westlake won’t be on TV? 

That'll suck.  I was hoping to DVR it and watch it later.  No TV at all for an Elite 8 game seems weird to me, but I still don't get the fucking UIL after all these years.

• Drool 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

You can still go by there and enjoy yoga pants season.  I filled out my bracket in advance.  I often volunteer to go shopping there while daughter is in 'sunday school' at the nearby church.  The weekday crowd candy is nice as well because of all the ladies getting out of the myriad yoga/pilates/fitness centers nearby.  I hate city living, but between the local haunts in the area plus working on campus a couple days a week, my cup runneth over in terms of ass viewing.  I dunno how you fellas in the rural corners of Texas function properly with nothing pleasing to the eye.  

That'll suck.  I was hoping to DVR it and watch it later.  No TV at all for an Elite 8 game seems weird to me, but I still don't get the fucking UIL after all these years.

Bally’s Southwest lists HS Football at 7pm CST with no description. LT-Westlake play at 2, so not happening. 

44 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bally’s Southwest lists HS Football at 7pm CST with no description.  

Guessing that's Steele-Drip from the Alamodome, where they did the game and scoreboard show last week, too.  

WL-LT has to be on KBVO, doesn't it?

Edited by Beau Vine

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Will be pulling for Steele something fierce this weekend. Beyond sick of Austin schools winning. #NotMyRegion4

Our district currently has 3 teams in the 6A state quarterfinals: Westlake, Lake Travis and Dripping Springs. That's the best we've ever done.  

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Our district currently has 3 teams in the 6A state quarterfinals: Westlake, Lake Travis and Dripping Springs. That's the best we've ever done.  

My district in HS, when only 3 teams made playoffs, had two teams meet up in the d2 regional final and the 3rd made it to the regional final in D1. The winner of the d2 game ended up making it to state. 

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My district in HS, when only 3 teams made playoffs, had two teams meet up in the d2 regional final and the 3rd made it to the regional final in D1. The winner of the d2 game ended up making it to state. 

That's impressive! Where was that? 

12 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Okay, @Longhorn94, since I am a very pessimistic person, (being a Horns fan will do that to you) I asked ChatGPT to say why why Lake Travis could defeat Westlake this Saturday. Now I've gone from feeling low to feeling entirely hopeless: 

1. Strong Offense: If Lake Travis High School has a powerful and versatile offense with skilled players, they may be able to outscore Westlake High School.

2. Solid Defense: A strong defense is crucial in football. If Lake Travis has a robust defensive strategy and skilled defenders, they may be able to prevent Westlake from scoring.

3. Effective Coaching: Good coaching can make a significant difference. If Lake Travis has a well-prepared coaching staff that can make effective in-game decisions, it could give them an advantage.

4. Home Field Advantage: Playing on their home turf can boost the morale of Lake Travis players and contribute to their overall performance.*

5. Injury-Free Roster: If Lake Travis has a healthy and injury-free roster, they will have all their key players available for the game, giving them a better chance of success.

6. Strategic Special Teams: Special teams play, including kick and punt returns, can swing the momentum of a game. If Lake Travis excels in this aspect, it could give them an edge.

7. Motivation and Team Spirit: A motivated and cohesive team often performs better. If Lake Travis has a strong team spirit and motivation, it can positively impact their performance on the field.

8. Previous Successes: If Lake Travis has a history of success against Westlake or in similar high-pressure situations, it might boost their confidence and increase their chances of winning.

9. Adaptability: Football games can be unpredictable. If Lake Travis is good at adapting to different game situations and adjusting their strategy accordingly, they may have an advantage.

10. Fan Support: The support of enthusiastic fans can create a positive atmosphere and energize the players. If Lake Travis has a strong fan base, it could contribute to their success on the field.

* I forgot to mention that this is a neutral site game. 

Man this is good stuff...can't believe all those secrets are available for free

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

That's impressive! Where was that? 

District 18-3A(back when 5a was highest)

Giddings with Brock Fitzhenry was the d1 that school and lost in the regional finals to a West Orange-Stark team led by Deon Beasley and a young Earl Thomas.

Cameron and Hutto with Hutto making it to state. Jeremy Kerley was their QB that year. 

Cameron had one of the best players I played against named Derek Evans. Dude was a 6'4 175 lbs WR that insane. 

The year before this season my team played Bellville in the playoffs that had Emmanuel Sanders who was a 10+ year NFL guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

District 18-3A(back when 5a was highest)

Giddings with Brock Fitzhenry was the d1 that school and lost in the regional finals to a West Orange-Stark team led by Deon Beasley and a young Earl Thomas.

Cameron and Hutto with Hutto making it to state. Jeremy Kerley was their QB that year. 

Cameron had one of the best players I played against named Derek Evans. Dude was a 6'4 175 lbs WR that insane. 

The year before this season my team played Bellville in the playoffs that had Emmanuel Sanders who was a 10+ year NFL guy.

Terrific. Sounds like some great memories. I was hoping Brock would become a star in college. 

2 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Terrific. Sounds like some great memories. I was hoping Brock would become a star in college. 

That Giddings team had some speed. I believe they set the Texas relay record in the 4x200 at the time for their classification. One of their best players was a LB named Alan Dock who ended up going to Tulsa. I think he ended his HS career with 500+ tackles.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That Giddings team had some speed. I believe they set the Texas relay record in the 4x200 at the time for their classification. One of their best players was a LB named Alan Dock who ended up going to Tulsa. I think he ended his HS career with 500+ tackles.

I still can't believe those Giddings teams never won anything.   Wimberley opened the season with them after winning state in 2005, and Giddings just beat the shit out of them.  And it was worse the next year.  And I remember Alan Dock because he made every fucking tackle.  Coach Fitzhenry is still at CE King.  The Googles say that Brock is working in construction in DFW and Dock is a CPA in BCS.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Scholz said:

I remember watching Midland Lee (Cedric Benson) take on Westlake at DKR. Place was jam packed. Benson ended Huston Street’s football career that day luckily for Horn fans.

Everyone remembers that as El Ced and Eric Winston dominating, but iirc it was tied at half and Westlake was in it to the end.  But yeah, beautiful day + local team + UT Commit = packed house (relatively speakling).  I was there for the Eisenhower/Lee game the year before in a cold drizzle and it was friends and family for the most part.

• Hook 'Em 5

11 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Guessing that's Steele-Drip from the Alamodome, where they did the game and scoreboard show last week, too.  

WL-LT has to be on KBVO, doesn't it?

i'd like to think so.  I don't think I'm making the trip to Arlington for Big XII so was hoping to watch that game after ours while setting up the christmas tree with the kids (future band members hopefully).  I would think they'd make that kind of annoucnement today or tomorrow, no for Tv/travel?  

On 11/26/2023 at 9:55 AM, Helobious said:

Pieper wins 53-46. That’s 3 Comal ISD schools on to the state quarterfinals. Canyon and Canyon Lake are punching air right now. 

The impressive part is that Pieper Ranch and Davenport have only been around for several years.

My nephew plays for Pieper, I've attended some games and it really is mind blowing to see how well they play. A couple of years ago they didn't even have seniors.

Sadly, that whole area's talent pool was feeding Smithson Valley.

36 minutes ago, F250 said:

The impressive part is that Pieper Ranch and Davenport have only been around for several years.

My nephew plays for Pieper, I've attended some games and it really is mind blowing to see how well they play. A couple of years ago they didn't even have seniors.

Sadly, that whole area's talent pool was feeding Smithson Valley.

There’s often a sweet spot for new schools around years 3-6 where you really see the benefits of having a majority of 3 or 4 year starters and minimal coach turnover. Pieper hit it in year 2 though

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 11/24/2023 at 8:37 PM, slorch said:

Falls City over Bremond 21-20.

Bremond was pretty salty this year, but the Beavers prevail.

Falls City is one of those schools I just would never bet against.

I say this every year in this thread, but death, taxes, and Falls City losing to Mart are the only givens in life.  Let's see if it holds true this year.

My entire mom's side of the family is from Falls City so they're my rooting interest once my Coppell Cowboys bow out, which is always by round 3.

Mart licked the Beavers 3 years in a row in the semis, but Falls City got a measure of revenge in 2021.

I've shared this before, but for any of your hardcore folks, you can get lost for an afternoon( or 3) exploring old coaches or playoff runs/ rivalries.  I love this site/ page.

https://www.texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/won-loss_records

Edited by slorch

30 minutes ago, slorch said:

Mart licked the Beavers 3 years in a row in the semis, but Falls City got a measure of revenge in 2021.

I've shared this before, but for any of your hardcore folks, you can get lost for an afternoon( or 3) exploring old coaches or playoff runs/ rivalries.  I love this site/ page.

https://www.texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/won-loss_records

Lots of phrasing here 😆 

And yes it's an awesome website.  Some of the nicknames of coaches back in the old days are hilarious 

5 hours ago, Mittens said:

Everyone remembers that as El Ced and Eric Winston dominating, but iirc it was tied at half and Westlake was in it to the end.  But yeah, beautiful day + local team + UT Commit = packed house (relatively speakling).  I was there for the Eisenhower/Lee game the year before in a cold drizzle and it was friends and family for the most part.

Don't remember the game that well.  I do remember it was a beautiful day.  I do recall poor Street playing SS and knocking heads with that bull Benson all day.  Lee won 3 state titles when he was there, the only 3 they've ever won.

Anyway, wish more games like that were at DKR including the local one this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Mittens said:

What I remember about that game was Ced just absolutely trucking Huston Street repeatedly, only Street would somehow hang on to one of his shoelaces or something and get him to the ground.  If anyone but HS was playing safety that day, Ced would have had about 500 yards rushing and 10 TDs.  

And then the next year, when freshman closer Huston Street led the Horns to Omaha, people were like, "How can a freshman do that?" and I'd just think, "Because he's the toughest little motherfucker on the field."

• Hook 'Em 6

8 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

6A power is really concentrated. This is one of 3 districts that still have 3 teams remaining. The other two are 21-6A with North Shore, Summer Creek, and Atascocita. And 11-6A with Duncanville, DeSoto, and Cedar Hill.

That’s 9 of the 16 6A teams remaining from 3 districts

Also, 4-6A still has two teams (Byron Nelson and Southlake Carroll) 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Our district 25-6A gets these juggernauts every year in the 1st round.  Vandegrift, Vista Ridge and Round Rock all fell to these 3.  Only McNeil won 1st round (just because we drew Bowie).  Thought Vandegrift was going deep this year but LT got rolling.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Our district 25-6A gets these juggernauts every year in the 1st round.  Vandegrift, Vista Ridge and Round Rock all fell to these 3.  Only McNeil won 1st round (just because we drew Bowie).  Thought Vandegrift was going deep this year but LT got rolling.

Major shout-out to the Round Rock QB. That is one tough SOB. Our Chaps went after him legally and after the whistle, as well. (and got repeatedly flagged for it) I've never seen a kid take such a beating and get back up over and over. He would get helped to the sidelines, and then come in on the next possession and get hit again. The Chaps radio announcers named him player of the game. I think he is going to play baseball in college. Warrior. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Major shout-out to the Round Rock QB. That is one tough SOB. Our Chaps went after him legally and after the whistle, as well. (and got repeatedly flagged for it) I've never seen a kid take such a beating and get back up over and over. He would get helped to the sidelines, and then come in on the next possession and get hit again. The Chaps radio announcers named him player of the game. I think he is going to play baseball in college. Warrior. 

Yeah Cochran.  He's been doing it for a few years.  He dragged us as a Soph and our coach was pissed.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/28/2023 at 9:28 AM, Mittens said:

Don't forget about Nick Hand(off).

I was at those 2 finals and Ced was amazing.  It was also amusingly impressive how HS always held on after getting trucked.

Edited by WBT

Forney didn't win state in 2003. Or ever for that matter. They went to state my sophomore year in 2000 and lost to Ty Gunn's LaGrange team. Then lost to Everman 2 years in a row after that, 2002 being in the state semifinals. Since 2003, it's been pretty bad for Forney. They finally got on track and show promise this year. Defense left something to be desired last week, though. Lancaster will be a very tough matchup.

16 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

.Region IV
11-2 Lake Travis vs. 13-0 Austin Westlake, 2 p.m. Saturday at Pflugerville’s The Pfield
Not calling anybody out here, but there are certain Westlake supporters who like to sandbag their team’s chances.  Maybe they’re getting to me, because I could see LT winning this, even though WL won the district matchup 20-14, as LT has improved a lot in the last month, and their D is playing great.  But LT hasn’t beaten WL since 2019, so I’d still bet on the Chaps.

I guess you missed how AI predicts how Lake Travis will beat us and AI is NEVER WRONG. 

Joking side, thanks for all the great analysis. I really love your posts.

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Refugio is getting wrecked.  It's 35-6 Ganado with 8 min left.  

About time for unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and cheap shots!

I always pull for Refugio because puro south Texas but they do make it hard. My coworker a couple years ago lived in Poth and had a son playing middle school football. They scrimmaged Refugio and she said they were just outright mean and played dirty even at that level.

10,000 seat Sams Stadium in Brownsville is already sold out for the B-Vets vs CC Miller game tomorrow. BISD has said they’ll be offering shuttle services from different spots around town to the game. I believe it’s that stadium’s first sellout since Billy Garza was drawing insane crowds at Porter in the 2000s. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 7:12 AM, TreatyOak said:

30 years ago two of those three were in 3A and were very, very bad at football. I remember that Lampasas beat Lake Travis 63-16 that year and played a group on offense for the 4th quarter called Roy’s Boys. This involved our starting DT playing tailback and we still scored a TD. Drip was not much better and lost 44-15 that year to the Badgers.

Another true story that happened because of that game with Lake Travis is this. Troy Rogers (Current Lampasas head coach and former North Shore OC), the 3A Offensive MVP was 2nd team all-district because Lake Travis and one other school wouldn’t vote for him in the all-district meeting because of how bad they were beaten. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

I am guessing the QB for Collinsville still went over 5000 yards for the season. He needed around 150 yards through the air to pull that off.

Found some good pics on the Wichita paper site, but no write up/ stats.

https://www.timesrecordnews.com/picture-gallery/sports/2023/11/30/albany-surges-past-collinsville-52-14/71762587007/