what's eating tom segura?

shadow_operative

ok apparently that picture is photoshopped. 

F913C361-CCDD-4CD8-B9B9-798882750C06.thumb.jpeg.ff3374da9dda85fe5cfa1fc517334ff8.jpeg

still in much better shape, but not wasting away. 

anyway, since i started a thread about tom segura, here's some tom segura:

also, gif podcasts with bert and christina p (respectively) aren't podcasts that i actively listen to, but i like to couch the highlights on youtube.

Edited by shadow_operative

Yeah, I’m sure that photo was shopped to make Bert look even fatter.  That running gag and ball busting hasn’t grown old. As far as his weight loss, I think breaking his body lit a fire under his ass to get leaner. It’s been a gradual change since his recovery. I saw two shows  on his current tour, several months apart. The upocoming special will be his best yet and it will be interesting to see which bits make the cut. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Tom ain’t riding Joe Rogan’s coattails. He’s one of the best standups in the business and has been for 10 years. Joe Rogan’s standup blows dick. He’s a podcaster for CrossFit bros 

I tried watching a couple of his stand-ups and couldn't make it 10 min in. He's famous due to being in the Rogan podcasting bros network of shitty comedians (outside of Mark Normand and at times Bobby Lee). 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

The upocoming special will be his best yet and it will be interesting to see which bits make the cut. 

I hope so and that's encouraging to hear.  He's one of my favorite standups but Ball Hog was fairly disappointing compared to his older specials.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I tried watching a couple of his stand-ups and couldn't make it 10 min in. He's famous due to being in the Rogan podcasting bros network of shitty comedians (outside of Mark Normand and at times Bobby Lee). 

Until this thread I had no idea Segura has been on a Rogan show. Rogan is literal trash, that makes me think less of Segura. Still funny though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it's hard to say those guys are riding coattails when they were friends with Rogan before he blew up. Also, they are totally different audiences IMO, especially within the last few years.

I used to listen to 2B1C pretty regularly but BK is grating. Nothing but pig squeal laughing, talking over people while not listening and talking about how much he drinks. Now I just catch the highlights every now and then.

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Until this thread I had no idea Segura has been on a Rogan show. Rogan is literal trash, that makes me think less of Segura. Still funny though. 

They're old friends.  I can't remember the smaller details but Rogan somewhat discovered Segura before he blew up, befriended him, and took him on the road as an opener or feature act.  Segura was also one of the first guests on Rogan's podcast when it was just in Rogan's living room with something like 7 listeners.  Convinced Segura to start his own podcast.  

I'm not a big Rogan fan but Segura is his own guy.  They're friends, but Segura outshines him as a standup and does a completely different thing.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

They're old friends.  I can't remember the smaller details but Rogan somewhat discovered Segura before he blew up, befriended him, and took him on the road as an opener or feature act.  Segura was also one of the first guests on Rogan's podcast when it was just in Rogan's living room with something like 7 listeners.  Convinced Segura to start his own podcast.  

I'm not a big Rogan fan but Segura is his own guy.  They're friends, but Segura outshines him as a standup and does a completely different thing.  

Also isn’t a conspiracy-spewing traitor. So there’s that 

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It would be awesome to have someone on the payroll who just followed you around and told you what to eat and made you work out.

it's good work if you can get it.

speaking of comics, success, and weight loss, if you're not on the nate bargatze train yet, climb aboard.  he definitely didn't have drastic weight loss like this, but went from a pudgy 30 year old frat boy looking guy to someone i might describe as "too thin" in his latest special on prime - which i highly recommend.

if you don't know nate, go watch his specials on netflix and prime, as his youtube clips seem to skew towards older clips, when he wasn't as funny.  this is from a netflix one:

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 8:55 PM, shadow_operative said:

ok apparently that picture is photoshopped. 

F913C361-CCDD-4CD8-B9B9-798882750C06.thumb.jpeg.ff3374da9dda85fe5cfa1fc517334ff8.jpeg

still in much better shape, but not wasting away. 

anyway, since i started a thread about tom segura, here's some tom segura:

also, gif podcasts with bert and christina p (respectively) aren't podcasts that i actively listen to, but i like to couch the highlights on youtube.

The Kool-Aid reveal is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Huge Segura fan. He's so good he makes Kreischer tolerable/likeable. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/20/2023 at 8:34 AM, Hermanator said:

You're out of your mind. Tom Segura is absolutely fantastic. If you don't like his standup, something is wrong with you. 

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

The Kool-Aid reveal is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Huge Segura fan. He's so good he makes Kreischer tolerable/likeable. 

kriescher’s stand up tour couple of years back was damn funny 

I’d never heard of him or anything, but a buddy had an extra ticket and I tagged along. He had me rolling 

Edited by tx 3 putt

10 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

You're out of your mind. Tom Segura is absolutely fantastic. If you don't like his standup, something is wrong with you. 

100% accurate.  The Rogan's coattails comment is incredibly idiotic as well.  Dude has zero idea wtf he's talking about.

I don't know what Rogan's stand up is like these days, and I certainly am not going to put any money in his pocket after the last 6yrs of his bullshit to find out, but I saw him twice 10-15yrs ago and thought it was pretty damn funny.

• Hook 'Em 1

Joe is a good comedian but the style of comedy he does isn't my favorite. He has funny bits here and there. I like BK more as a comedian than a podcast personality. 

The funniest ones in that group outside of Segura are Shane Gillis, Theo Von (who's probably funnier off-stage) and Sam Morrill. I think Hans Kim is good too but i haven't seen as much of his stuff. 

There are definitely a lot of annoying and/or uninteresting guys that run in those circles with that douchefuck Andrew Schultz being my personal least favorite. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Kriescher and Segura are both hilarious stand ups.

I've tired of both of them in podcast form.  Segura's so fucking smarmy and Kriescher's constantly interrupting guests and squealing like a stuck hog.  Prior to COVID, I listened to both of their pods religiously, especially Your Mom's House (Segura and his wife).

I kinda tired of comedy podcasts in general during COVID.  Hearing a bunch of millionaires whine about not having gigs for a few months and how they're so afraid of getting canceled (no one gets canceled anymore unless they committed a serious form of assault) wore itself out real quick.

I do think the story Segura tells on a podcast with Bill Burr and Kriescher about a former co-worker of his blowing the entire Wu Tang Clan is one of the funniest fucking things I've ever heard.

Just now, ztejas said:

Joe is a good comedian but the style of comedy he does isn't my favorite. He has funny bits here and there. I like BK more as a comedian than a podcast personality. 

The funniest ones in that group outside of Segura are Shane Gillis, Theo Von (who's probably funnier off-stage) and Sam Morrill. I think Hans Kim is good too but i haven't seen as much of his stuff. 

There are definitely a lot of annoying and/or uninteresting guys that run in those circles with that douchefuck Andrew Schultz being my personal least favorite. 

Shane Gillis's last special absolutely cracked me up.

Rogan is a mediocre standup and actor who met a lot of interesting and funny people in his career and then started a podcast. He started with his friends and built from there, but the main thing he does is just listen and have conversations with people. All the crying about how harmful he is or whatever is nonsense. He's just a dude who talks to people (though his recent comments about Jews could use a little brush back).

I really like Segura's standup and I think he is a very good interviewer. I enjoyed several of his Tom Talks podcasts.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

I think you need to be educated on opinions and personal taste. Just because somebody doesn't like what you like doesn't mean they're wrong, it may mean you're a fucking idiot for expecting that of them. 

But just to be thorough I went to YouTube and looked up the best of this guy. Found this 30 minute highlight clip and watched about 23 minutes of it.

Since it is a highlight clip all of this should kill, but it is poorly done. His delivery sucks, his timing sucks, and his situations are implausible. The Starbucks thing was complete bullshit anyway, they don't say anything about "eat". They say "what can I prepare for you today". Immediately after that he almost saves it with the InNOut which was funny, but he immediately ruins it by pushing it too far. He doesn't know when to cut after hitting with a solid punchline. 

It's like he wants to be a mix of Seinfeld and Jim Gaffigan but he has none of Gaffigan's awkward  comedic timing and none of Seinfeld's plausible social commentary. 

2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

Rogan is a mediocre standup and actor who met a lot of interesting and funny people in his career and then started a podcast. He started with his friends and built from there, but the main thing he does is just listen and have conversations with people. All the crying about how harmful he is or whatever is nonsense. He's just a dude who talks to people (though his recent comments about Jews could use a little brush back).

I really like Segura's standup and I think he is a very good interviewer. I enjoyed several of his Tom Talks podcasts.

I'd heard Rogan's name all over the place back when he signed the huge Spotify deal, and then more recently when people were losing their minds about him on twitter, so I listened to a few of his podcasts, and my perception was the same as  yours.  He mostly listens, occasionally asks questions, and chats with people.  No idea why anybody would feel threatened by the guy.

What amazes me is that two guys just having a conversation can draw the listeners it does.  That's mindboggling.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

People are threatened by Rogan because there's an army of idiots who take anything on his show very seriously.

I enjoyed his podcast for a long time, because I found it interesting to let people explain themselves in a long form setting vs a few sound bites.  Then, during COVID it started veering heavily into right wing conspiratorial nonsense and I lost interest.  The recent anti-Semitic comments just reinforce that he's more or less a political grifter at this point, IMO.

I enjoyed, but never loved, his stand up and I like News Radio.  As much as his podcast, him rightfully calling that piece of shit Carlos Mencia onto the carpet for stealing jokes and making up a fake identity was what really got him on the radar, at least as far as I can tell.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

People are threatened by Rogan because there's an army of idiots who take anything on his show very seriously.

I enjoyed his podcast for a long time, because I found it interesting to let people explain themselves in a long form setting vs a few sound bites.  Then, during COVID it started veering heavily into right wing conspiratorial nonsense and I lost interest.  The recent anti-Semitic comments just reinforce that he's more or less a political grifter at this point, IMO.

I enjoyed, but never loved, his stand up and I like News Radio.  As much as his podcast, him rightfully calling that piece of shit Carlos Mencia onto the carpet for stealing jokes and making up a fake identity was what really got him on the radar, at least as far as I can tell.

You think his anti-Semitic comments show he's a political grifter? I think they were just stupid. The kind of thing a bro from Boston would say about Jews liking money. 

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

I'd heard Rogan's name all over the place back when he signed the huge Spotify deal, and then more recently when people were losing their minds about him on twitter, so I listened to a few of his podcasts, and my perception was the same as  yours.  He mostly listens, occasionally asks questions, and chats with people.  No idea why anybody would feel threatened by the guy.

What amazes me is that two guys just having a conversation can draw the listeners it does.  That's mindboggling.

They draw listeners because they're just conversations. Nobody has conversations anymore. It's all agenda, and political, and obnoxious, and postured, and totally curated bullshit. People don't want that anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

You think his anti-Semitic comments show he's a political grifter? I think they were just stupid. The kind of thing a bro from Boston would say about Jews liking money. 

No, his turn away from just having a myriad of guests on and hearing them out, to inserting his own mostly right wing opinions while talking with mostly right wing guests is why I think he’s a political grifter.

6-7 years ago, Rogan’s podcast was a really diverse platform that covered a wide range of topics.  Occasionally the guests were political.  They were from all over the map.

During COVID there got to be more political guests, they were mostly of the same political persuasion, and the discussion always hammered that side’s talking points.

And I lost interest because I was tired of that shit.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No, his turn away from just having a myriad of guests on and hearing them out, to inserting his own mostly right wing opinions while talking with mostly right wing guests is why I think he’s a political grifter.

6-7 years ago, Rogan’s podcast was a really diverse platform that covered a wide range of topics.  Occasionally the guests were political.  They were from all over the map.

During COVID there got to be more political guests, they were mostly of the same political persuasion, and the discussion always hammered that side’s talking points.

I didn't care about the politics even though the populists, contrarians, and morons annoyed me. It was allowing outright conspiracy theorists, pseudoscientists, and general dipshits like Bob Lazar and Graham Hancock that really disappointed me.

There’s a whole Rogan thread guys.

Kriescher I don’t get. Someone told me to watch the stand up where he tells the story about being named The Machine by some Russians, and I just didn’t find it funny. I have idiot college buddies with funnier stories. And dude, put a fucking shirt on.

10 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

Sorry you have a shitty sense of humor

A small part of me envies your nearly mentally handicapped simplicity and lack of mental acuity. Having no standards for quality and being enthralled by the comedic equivalent of a monkey jiggling car keys for hours leaves a ton of options for entertainment. 

And what's with the laugh tracks on his video?

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

There’s a whole Rogan thread guys.

Kriescher I don’t get. Someone told me to watch the stand up where he tells the story about being named The Machine by some Russians, and I just didn’t find it funny. I have idiot college buddies with funnier stories. And dude, put a fucking shirt on.

I may not care for his standup like you but I admit he seems like a nice dude. Crazy how Ryan Reynolds in Van Wilder was based off a Rolling Stone article written about Kriescher's insanity at Florida State. 

https://screenrant.com/bert-kreischeer-netflix-comedy-van-wilder-movies/

Edited by Hermanator

11 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

Holy shit! There are people with common sense on this board

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Understood 

11 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Kriescher and Segura are both hilarious stand ups.

I've tired of both of them in podcast form.  Segura's so fucking smarmy and Kriescher's constantly interrupting guests and squealing like a stuck hog.  Prior to COVID, I listened to both of their pods religiously, especially Your Mom's House (Segura and his wife).

I kinda tired of comedy podcasts in general during COVID.  Hearing a bunch of millionaires whine about not having gigs for a few months and how they're so afraid of getting canceled (no one gets canceled anymore unless they committed a serious form of assault) wore itself out real quick.

I do think the story Segura tells on a podcast with Bill Burr and Kriescher about a former co-worker of his blowing the entire Wu Tang Clan is one of the funniest fucking things I've ever heard.

Shane Gillis's last special absolutely cracked me up.

Shane Gillis on the special Olympics was gold

57 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

A small part of me envies your nearly mentally handicapped simplicity and lack of mental acuity. Having no standards for quality and being enthralled by the comedic equivalent of a monkey jiggling car keys for hours leaves a ton of options for entertainment. 

And what's with the laugh tracks on his video?

I may not care for his standup like you but I admit he seems like a nice dude. Crazy how Ryan Reynolds in Van Wilder was based off a Rolling Stone article written about Kriescher's insanity at Florida State. 

https://screenrant.com/bert-kreischeer-netflix-comedy-van-wilder-movies/

Pound sand, weener 

20 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

On 2/22/2023 at 1:20 PM, Augustus said:

I don’t really get all the anger either.  I don’t listen to him often but when it’s a guest or a subject I find interesting I’ll listen sometimes. Like you said he asks questions, let’s people talk and chats and he talks to right, left, crazy, sane, everyone really.  Most of what people get upset about are clickbait snippets without context of the actual conversation that you could do to anybody if you record them for three plus hours.  Now the idiots that lock onto his or his guests opinions or snippets of conversation as gospel truth to follow.. (I know one for sure) They are adults who can form their own thoughts and are already thinking that way before.  That’s definitely not his fault and not what he’s trying to do. 

Edited by Hook1997

On 2/22/2023 at 8:53 AM, BHMCruiser said:

the main thing he does is just listen and have conversations with people. All the crying about how harmful he is or whatever is nonsense. He's just a dude who talks to people (though his recent comments about Jews could use a little brush back).

if you have a large platform with a lot of listeners, and you welcome shitbags onto that platform and let them spew their shitbag takes without pushing back at all, that makes you a shitbag too.  it's not trigonometry.

there's nothing wrong with being a shitbag and good for him if he can get rich off it.  but let's not pretend that he's just listening, having conversations, and occasionally "just asking questions".  the fuck outta here with that.

people said he was harmful when the covid cures/vaccination conversations were happening.  i could give two shits about rogan, i've never listened to an entire podcast of his.  but if you're wading over into public health information in the midst of a public health crisis, you should take it seriously, or you will be accused of being harmful. 

it's not taking sides to admit that's a possibility.