Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

10 hours ago, HookEm said:

I actually like what Mitchell brings to the team.  He is averaging 10 PTS and 7.7 TRB and is defending well.  His free throw shooting is up to 69% in conference, which is a huge improvement over his 40% free throw last year.  He gives us a nice burst of energy and is a good complement to Shedrick who is a little slow footed.  Mitchell is also someone who can really run the floor and is good for a few highlight dunks every game.  I'm not convinced that this is our last year with him on the roster - and I really hope he comes back.  

The team has plenty of good pieces.  The most important one is Hunter. If he is attacking the basket and hitting a few 3s, we can beat anybody, even if Abmas or Disu aren't playing well.  

I, too, have been very happy with what Mitchell has given the team this year.  He's much, much better than he was last season.  I'd love to have him back next year, but I'm highly skeptical that happens.

15 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think the biggest mistake this year from a roster construction was bringing back Mitchell over Kaluma. Unfortunately, Kaluma is a much better player than Mitchell as I said over the summer. 

Kaluma, Abmas, and Disu together would have been nasty. 

I guess there was no guarantee that Kaluma would have picked Texas but sounded like we were definitely in the mix before Mitchell decided to return. 

We all (myself included) celebrated Hunter and Mitchell returning thinking improvement was a given (and Mitchell has improved in small areas of his game) when we likely would have been better off from a results standpoint this season filling both spots with portal guys. 

I mentioned it a while back, but after Morris and Brumbaugh bolted and Holland and Johnson decommitted, could you have imagined the outrage it Mitchell and/or Hunter portal'd or the staff went another direction? Optics definitely played a role, whether we want to admit it or not. 

This staff isn't doing their jobs well if they try to run it back next year with Hunter as the primary ball handler. Maybe there is a spot for him on this team but they need to be aggressive in getting a ball handler in here to pair with Tre Johnson and if that causes Hunter to portal or go play in Italy next year, then oh well. 

Edited by Hookem2147

47 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

I, too, have been very happy with what Mitchell has given the team this year.  He's much, much better than he was last season.  I'd love to have him back next year, but I'm highly skeptical that happens.

Does the NBA (or any other pro league) really value an admittedly hyperathletic 6' 8" guy whose offense is pretty much limited to dunks, layups and the occasional short jumper?  I like the guy but it seems like he really needs to develop at least a midrange jump shot.  Maybe Disu can coach him up in that regard.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Does the NBA (or any other pro league) really value an admittedly hyperathletic 6' 8" guy whose offense is pretty much limited to dunks, layups and the occasional short jumper?  I like the guy but it seems like he really needs to develop at least a midrange jump shot.  Maybe Disu can coach him up in that regard.

i don't see much of an NBA future for him either but these 5 star guys always seem to bolt even when it doesn't seem to be in their best interest.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Kind of funny to go back and read this thread from early-April of last year.  The majority of the board had written us off before we had brought in a single player from the portal.  Projections of 5-25 and missing the tournament.

Basketball geniuses!

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maybe he can be a 3 and D guy but without the 3?

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Kind of funny to go back and read this thread from early-April of last year.  The majority of the board had written us off before we had brought in a single player from the portal.  Projections of 5-25 and missing the tournament.

that was the time of year when our entire recruiting class had bailed and dillon mitchell was allegedly gone to the draft. this after spending the entire season being told that there was 100% buy-in and that all of the players loved RT and were excited to play for him. people had good reason to be upset and pessimistic.

17 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i don't see much of an NBA future for him either but these 5 star guys always seem to bolt even when it doesn't seem to be in their best interest.

There was reason for that before, but NIL can change a player's perspective slightly. Right now, Mitchell is a UDFA, that may get a summer league invite. I am sure his NIL possibilities at Texas would pay him more than that. If MItchell did come back, I would hope he spent the entire summer in the gym shooting 1000s of 3's a day. His FT shooting improved 25% with 1-year of coaching. Also, for as much as we like to bag on Hunter, he is shooting at career high marks from both 2P and 3P. He needs to learn a pull-up or floater because at 6' too many of his drives into the paint end up blocked. His real problem is he's not a true PG.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

I can agree, but if he doesn't win a game in the tournament are we really spiking the football for a .500 conference record and not missing the tournament?

Edited by ChickenSandwich

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I can agree, but if he doesn't win a game in the tournament are we really spiking the football for a .500 conference record and not missing the tournament?

No. As someone who likes RT we need to make at least the round of 32. Sweet 16 preferred.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Anything less than the sweet 16 would be disappointing 

Going to depend on seed and matchup.  If the committee screws us and we get an 8 or 9, I'm not expecting to beat a 1 seed. Hopeful, but not going to expect it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Going to depend on seed and matchup.  If the committee screws us and we get an 8 or 9, I'm not expecting to beat a 1 seed. Hopeful, but not going to expect it. 

Yep, the best bet is to make a run in the conference tourney, get to the championship game (don't think result would matter), and get a 7 seed. Texas likely needs another Q1 win to have that happen. A win in the conference semis secures another Q1 W.

Edited by MuellerHorn

16 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yep, the best bet is to make a run in the conference tourney, get to the championship game (don't think result would matter), and get a 7 seed. Texas likely needs another Q1 win to have that happen. A win in the conference semis secures another Q1 W.

With the double bye format, we would face ISU in the quarterfinals if we beat KSU.  That's the Q1 win that would likely bump us up to a 7.  I think we only need to make the semifinals for a 7 seed (6 Q1 wins), make the finals a 6 seed (7 Q1 wins), and winning it would be a 5 seed (8 Q1 wins)

If we advanced past ISU, we'd face Baylor or KU, which are also Q1. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

What is funny about it to you? Do you lack the ability to grasp that people have opinions, as snapshots in time, that can change when new data is presented? Is it due to that that this wild concept called “learning” seems so amusing to you? Or is there some other comedy we’re all otherwise missing?

This kind of idiotic posting nonsense has been around since the dawn of the Internet. It’s always nauseating to witness someone coming up with the “gotcha!” notion like this and thinking they’re in uncharted waters. Get a fucking grip, you Pollyanna twit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Expecting or demanding the Sweet 16 as a 7 seed or lower is nuts.  You're basically asking a team "ranked" from 25-28 to beat a team "ranked" from 5-8.  That's just not a terribly common thing.  Does it happen?  Sure, but it's clearly an upset.

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What is funny about it to you? Do you lack the ability to grasp that people have opinions, as snapshots in time, that can change when new data is presented?

The problem is that people were ignoring the data.  The fact is that the environment has changed. Yes we lost some people to the portal.  Yes we lost some recruits.  Replacing them takes time and usually happens in late spring to early summer.  We weren't going to go 5-25. Anybody looking at the data and coming to that conclusion was a moron. 

I predict that this year we will lose a few players to the draft. And then we will lose a few more to the portal. A few posters will freak out, seeing 6 players on the roster and think we are going to go 10-20 and will loudly proclaim that RT isn't "the guy".  Then we will get a handful of elite players in the portal and everything will be fine.  Go ahead and bookmark my post.

If you were one of the morons that thought we were going to have to start Alex Anamekwe, well... I hope you use the data from last year a month from now and learn from it.

On 3/11/2024 at 4:56 PM, ATXbronco said:

On 3/11/2024 at 6:03 PM, ztejas said:

This may shock you but we have a thread for the women's team. It's got real posters and everything. 

On 3/11/2024 at 8:13 PM, ATXbronco said:

I'm not shocked.  But I am mildly surprised.  

Where the fuck is it?

It's on "other sports" instead of "basketball". I don't know why - I requested to move it at some point awhile back. 

@Pancho can we get it on the basketball forum? Not sure why men's/women's would ever be separate like that - the caitlin clark and wnba threads are on the regular basketball forum. I think there's a lot of crossover with folks that follow men's and women's. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ATXbronco said:

Yeah dude, WTF is it doing over there.  

Tks for the pointer.

Who's the chick sitting next to Rori?
She sexy but those daggers meng....

image.thumb.png.24ba8e51fdf24f58aefb8848a071a92c.png

That's my wife, asshole. 

• Drool 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

It's on "other sports" instead of "basketball". I don't know why - I requested to move it at some point awhile back. 

@Pancho can we get it on the basketball forum? Not sure why men's/women's would ever be separate like that - the caitlin clark and wnba threads are on the regular basketball forum. I think there's a lot of crossover with folks that follow men's and women's. 

I believe that’s why @immamac retitled the sub form to UT Womens Sports. Now should that be a sub forrum or a forum on its own, well that’s his decision to make. 

Sorry, it's Saint Joseph's, not Saint John's

BROOKLYN, N.Y. — The University of Texas Men's Basketball team will join Syracuse, Saint Joseph's and Texas Tech in the 2024 Legends Classic presented by Old Trapper at Barclays Center on November 21-22, 2024, the Gazelle Group announced Wednesday. Semifinal pairings and television coverage will be announced at a later date.

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

If there is a vote, I would like to see the Women's Basketball thread over on this forum. They have earned it.

futurama-seconded.gif

This is the basketball forum, so any spectator-level hoops thread belongs here, imo.

I don't want to read about women's college hoops when I open up a default men's college hoops thread, but by the same token, it seems silly to have to go to "Other Sports | UT Sports" to read or post about the women's game.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Out on playing Tech.  Fail. 

You damn well knew someone would find a way to make sure we played them in either a non-conf tournament or the NCAAT. 

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry mentioned on OTF a ball-handling PG and two bigs will be the portal priorities. Also said a glue guy who could shoot it would be a welcome addition.

Crock Bunningham 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Sorry, it's Saint Joseph's, not Saint John's

BROOKLYN, N.Y. — The University of Texas Men's Basketball team will join Syracuse, Saint Joseph's and Texas Tech in the 2024 Legends Classic presented by Old Trapper at Barclays Center on November 21-22, 2024, the Gazelle Group announced Wednesday. Semifinal pairings and television coverage will be announced at a later date.

I couldn’t be less interested in that. Sucks because I enjoyed going to Empire Classic this year. 

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry mentioned on OTF a ball-handling PG and two bigs will be the portal priorities. Also said a glue guy who could shoot it would be a welcome addition.

I have no doubt we will pick up some great players.  

• 3 yrs ago: Marcus Carr, Timmy Allen, Tre Mitchell, Dylan Disu, Christian Bishop, Devin Askew
  • 2 yrs ago: Sir'Jabari Rice, Tyrese Hunter  
  • 1 yr ago: Max Abmas, Chendall Weaver, Kadin Shedrick, Ithiel Horton, Ze'Rik Onyema 

Since the portal started really changing the game, we have been able to add all-conference type players every year.