• Yes, whenever possible
    • No, I'll take my chances if something happens
    • Got guns at home, don't carry outside of home
    • No, but not against it. Come to think of it, I should get a gun
    • No I don't
    • Yes I do, but concealed
    • Yes, and you will see what I'm packing chief

20 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

What do you think this proves, exactly? So she chose the path of least resistance which, in this case, was shooting out the glass of a locked door at a different school. If that school also had a guard or two, do you think she gives up on her months long plan, or she takes an extra 5 minutes to find another door or window? How many security guards should each school have?

And in this ideal world where every school is a fortress--no non-bulletproof windows  no unguarded doors, no ability for students to use a door on their own, lest they leave it unlocked--as Fooster's data shows, most mass shootings take place somewhere else than schools. Schools just get the most coverage, for obvious reasons. If the target is specifically kids, schools aren't the only place where children congregate.

To add to this, here's the timeline of the Parkland shooting:

https://projects.sun-sentinel.com/2018/sfl-parkland-school-shooting-critical-moments/

Teachers assigned as security monitors, campus deputies, locked gates and doors that are only unlocked at certain times, multiple sightings carrying around his rifle bag...not one damn bit of difference.

It turns out people, even trained ones, are scared shitless when someone pulls out an AR-15. Shout out to Uvalde.

Edited by aggie08

38 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm not going to accept this thing I don't know the meaning of, says serious person.

No offense but this is the kind of silliness I'm not going to engage with. 

I think I’ll take the concern of the black gentleman a little more seriously.  There are people with power who would rather see his request to own denied.  He used trans person as an example, but it’s not unfounded. 

26 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

“Vote for my political candidate” while accusing me of misrepresenting your viewpoints?

What the fuck are you talking about?

It’s in the best interest of our country to have political parties with opposing views/ideas on how best to shape our future. That’s a foundational piece of a functioning democracy.

Again, we’re in a state of dysfunction not because I keep calling you a disingenuous moron, but because politicians for one political party can’t even consider trying to address gun violence. Any “gun reform” efforts that don’t start with “get more guns into the hands of more Americans” will ensure a well-backed primary challenger and political ruin.

We’re here because politicians don’t have the moral courage to take action to try and save kids’ lives because doing so would mean they lose power. You can keep screaming and pointing over there, but your bullshit won’t work here.

Another showed me post. My choices are vote for someone I nearly completely disagree with and who would most assuredly overreach and abuse any leeway given on this issue and another candidate I generally agree with but has minimal solutions here. Don’t be a hypocrite in addition to being a tribalitst. You’re not waiting on that one R to vote for who’s strong on gun control. 

22 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Man, for a guy who hates "gotcha" posts, you sure do attempt a lot of them.

It’s not a gotcha when I provide requested reasoning, and then the other person proceeds to do what I suggested to a fare thee well while denying it. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You’re not waiting on that one R to vote for who’s strong on gun control. 

Fuck yeah, I would. Someone with that kind of courage to go against THE major pillar of his/her party because it's the right thing to do, and they realize that gun control and dead kids is a little more important right now than whatever fucking middling tax or policy issue I may disagree with? Show me this unicorn, and they'll have my vote.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Trans folks not being able to own guns because of their perceived mental state...I wonder if we continue to regress we'll start hearing that women shouldn't be able to own guns because they're too emotional. Nevermind the number of female mass shooters there are, based on percentages. But I mean, we all know that's why a woman shouldn't be a president, amirite?

Women shouldn’t be president because they always fall in love with the bad guys.  If a woman were president she’d have Brad Pitt, George Clooney and king dong in her cabinet 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I think I’ll take the concern of the black gentleman a little more seriously.  There are people with power who would rather see his request to own denied.  He used trans person as an example, but it’s not unfounded. 

That's obviously true, I just don't think that obviously true statement is being deployed in good faith most of the time, and if it is, I don't think it's reasonable to take that position without a modicum of effort to understand it first. It's also generic to all laws across all time. I'm inclined to respect the views of anyone who uses Luke Cage in their profile photo, but saying you don't know what disarming domestic abusers and people in mental health crisis means, "because racism" is bullshit. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

On the idea of background checks for all transfers- gun stores charge for private party transfers. So there is a cost there for private transfers that oftentimes dissuades its use.

I’d love for NICS to be accessible to the general public for private sales. There is never specific gun information on the check - so all this talk about having to have a registry isn’t true as far as I can tell.

You want to buy my gun? Give me your ID and I’ll run the check.

30 seconds later - transaction should be done.

I’m all for background checks on private sales and I think we can do that without specific gun information. There is only a record that “Bill” passed a background check for a rifle/pistol on X date. No seller info needed.

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, BERT said:

I don't own guns, i don't have kids and i don't vote. I think you're all fucking idiots, how about that? Some cunts too

My god, the free time you must have.  I spend 90% of my time dealing with my guns, my kids, and politics.  And the other 10% here with you fucking idiots and cunts.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Trans folks not being able to own guns because of their perceived mental state...I wonder if we continue to regress we'll start hearing that women shouldn't be able to own guns because they're too emotional. Nevermind the number of female mass shooters there are, based on percentages. But I mean, we all know that's why a woman shouldn't be a president even leave the house, amirite?

Preach! Pimps up hoes down!

17 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That's obviously true, I just don't think that obviously true statement is being deployed in good faith most of the time, and if it is, I don't think it's reasonable to take that position without a modicum of effort to understand it first. It's also generic to all laws across all time. I'm inclined to respect the views of anyone who uses Luke Cage in their profile photo, but saying you don't know what disarming domestic abusers and people in mental health crisis means, "because racism" is bullshit. 

adding - I do think that whatever our differences it's worth recognizing @fattyflattie for his refreshing embrace of critical race theory. Stay woke!

I bet [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] and his associates have a clever nickname for the spike in business they see every time a bunch of innocent kids get murdered while trying to learn in school.

Associates…..I like that. Makes me feel strong and powerful.

No, we don’t. We actually talk about a heightened sense of awareness around whatever it is that happened as it relates to gun sales. We will pay more attention to the customers of our “associates” in case they miss cues while doing paperwork.

I know you don’t care about that - but that’s what happens.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

19 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I wasn't even thinking about it in racial terms, because there are plenty of Black politicians and cops who would be happy to take my guns. So, we're past the race component(in the bigger picture). It's about politics to me and not wanting political weaponization of red flag laws. Which is why I used the Trans example.

Now in my defense, Bozo, you left it open to interpretation. As long as you have legitimate checks and balances to adjudicate domestic and mental health issues then that's fine. What else are your red flag laws going to cover? And who is going to determine the validity of any reports? If I'm stupid enough to post political opinions on FB and then really, really stupid to post gun pics, is that going to get me flagged? 

There is no leeway in a 7-day waiting period. No misunderstanding about an age limit. But there is plenty of room to interpret and misuse red flag laws. I'm not saying you can't have them. But the rulings need to be above reproach as much as possible. At least that's how I see it.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You’ve made no points to refute until this one. 

No, we’re not a broken society because there are no Republicans willing to cave on this issue, but it is a symptom of the problem at hand. 

Neither side can talk with the other, and one completely distrusts the other.

If you would just be honest and say “I believe the solution to our nation’s gun violence is to make sure more people have more guns” we could just agree to disagree and move on.

15 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If you would just be honest and say “I believe the solution to our nation’s gun violence is to make sure more people have more guns” we could just agree to disagree and move on.

That’s not what I believe at all, but it doesn’t surprise me that you attempted to create a position for me of such eye water shallowness and absurdity. 

You can quit replying at any time.

6 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

That’s not what I believe at all, but it doesn’t surprise me that you attempted to create a position for me of such eye water shallowness and absurdity. 

You can quit replying at any time.

You waded into this conversation and did 2 things:

1. Wondered aloud whether or not the adults the mass murderer encountered (a principle and janitor) being armed would have changed the outcome.

2. Shared your belief that hardening soft targets like schools is our best course of action.

You quickly realized you were going to get attacked for that opinion BECAUSE IT IS FUCKING INSANE and quickly pivoted to your grand theory:

Kids are being slaughtered at school because of a lack of civil discourse.

I hope you at least take off your “Fuck your feelings” bumper sticker at some point.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Girlfriend went on lockdown today at her school. She is a teacher. She also reads this thread.

Feel free to ask her a question.

I’m guessing pretty much every parent on this thread has experienced their kids being in a lockdown.

Do you have any questions for us?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

On the idea of background checks for all transfers- gun stores charge for private party transfers. So there is a cost there for private transfers that oftentimes dissuades its use.

I’d love for NICS to be accessible to the general public for private sales. There is never specific gun information on the check - so all this talk about having to have a registry isn’t true as far as I can tell.

You want to buy my gun? Give me your ID and I’ll run the check.

30 seconds later - transaction should be done.

I’m all for background checks on private sales and I think we can do that without specific gun information. There is only a record that “Bill” passed a background check for a rifle/pistol on X date. No seller info needed.

And the background checks need to be no cost to the public. At least for private party transfers.  I totally understand a shop needing to charge a fee if they are just the pass-through for an online purchase. But private party transfers need to have an extremely low cost, easy access solution.

I have told this story before, but a while back I was doing some trading of various non-regulated parts that I had excess of when people were getting really stupid.  Had a guy offer me an 870 police magnum in walnut stock in trade for some upper components and LPKs. It was clearly an asymmetrical deal in my favor, so I was a little suspicious, but the market was also nuts at the time, so not totally unrealistic.  Anyways, I asked the guy for the serial and proceeded to call ATF branch, the Travis County Sheriff, etc. to have them run the serial for me and confirm that it was not stolen or otherwise problematic. They fucking laughed at me. Laughed. So I went ahead and did the trade. It came with the box and all materials. I am not going out of my way ever again to vet a transfer that is coming to me until the system is fixed.  

Look here, kids undergo fire and tornado and bus crash drills every day in this country.  Why not active shooter drills?  If a tornado wants to take you out and doesn't mind losing its life in the meantime because of doors, ain't a whole helluva lot you can do.

Whew.  That was fun to type out.  Is being beyond fucking stupid always this much fun?  You guys must have a fucking hoot.  Holy shit, they let us walk around like this? 

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You waded into this conversation and did 2 things:

1. Wondered aloud whether or not the adults the mass murderer encountered (a principle and janitor) being armed would have changed the outcome.

2. Shared your belief that hardening soft targets like schools is our best course of action.

You quickly realized you were going to get attacked for that opinion BECAUSE IT IS FUCKING INSANE and quickly pivoted to your grand theory:

Kids are being slaughtered at school because of a lack of civil discourse.

I hope you at least take off your “Fuck your feelings” bumper sticker at some point.

Yes. I wondered aloud if the staff being marked would have made a difference. 

Yes, I believe that hardening targets is the only course forward because neither side can come to an agreement. Hardening targets would mean guns would be a part of the solution. I said that too. In whose hands is another matter and a lot of hardening target has nothing to do with weapons at all. I know all you can see is weapons. I expect nothing less. 

I’m not worried about being attacked for that at all. You’re very poor at projecting, but do it a lot all the same 

Yes, kids are being slaughtered at schools because our leaders as extensions of us cannot have a discourse on the matter. You’ve spent ample time proving that in the last few pages. it’s not a hard line of reasoning to follow. 

We’re spending a lot of time trying it your way with hoping politicos will come to an accord while we don’t protect the schools. I’ve accepted that the former will not happen and that leaves few options to do something about it.

What I actually think is worth doing doesn’t matter, because it’s not going to get passed anyway so I don’t waste my time tilting at windmills.

Your bumper sticker jab is just more emotional diarrhea that you’ve mistaken for a knock out punch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

And the background checks need to be no cost to the public. At least for private party transfers.  I totally understand a shop needing to charge a fee if they are just the pass-through for an online purchase. But private party transfers need to have an extremely low cost, easy access solution.

I have told this story before, but a while back I was doing some trading of various non-regulated parts that I had excess of when people were getting really stupid.  Had a guy offer me an 870 police magnum in walnut stock in trade for some upper components and LPKs. It was clearly an asymmetrical deal in my favor, so I was a little suspicious, but the market was also nuts at the time, so not totally unrealistic.  Anyways, I asked the guy for the serial and proceeded to call ATF branch, the Travis County Sheriff, etc. to have them run the serial for me and confirm that it was not stolen or otherwise problematic. They fucking laughed at me. Laughed. So I went ahead and did the trade. It came with the box and all materials. I am not going out of my way ever again to vet a transfer that is coming to me until the system is fixed.  

If the seller is profiting, why shouldn’t he incur the cost?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Yes, I believe that hardening targets is the only course forward because neither side can come to an agreement. Hardening targets would mean guns would be a part of the solution. I said that too. In whose hands is another matter and a lot of hardening target has nothing to do with weapons at all. I know all you can see is weapons. I expect nothing less. 

I’m not worried about being attacked for that at all. You’re very poor at projecting, but do it a lot all the same 

Yes, kids are being slaughtered at schools because our leaders as extensions of us cannot have a discourse on the matter. You’ve spent ample time proving that in the last few pages. it’s not a hard line of reasoning to follow. 

We’re spending a lot of time trying it your way with hoping politicos will come to an accord while we don’t protect the schools. I’ve accepted that the former will not happen and that leaves few options to do something about it.

What I actually think is worth doing doesn’t matter, because it’s not going to get passed anyway so I don’t waste my time tilting at windmills.

Your bumper sticker jab is just more emotional diarrhea that you’ve mistaken for a knock out punch. 

k7anl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

If the seller is profiting, why shouldn’t he incur the cost?

Why should there be additional cost to tax payers to access a tax payer funded system to execute background checks associated with P2P gun transfers. What are you even talking about man? 

The NICS system is captured by the FFLs as the gatekeepers. They have their own interests to protect, esp in the online world these days. And I am fine with that aspect. But that shit doesn't need to get in the way of implementing BG checks for private transactions. Free the NICS!

Edited by Anastasis

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Why should there be additional cost to tax payers to access a tax payer funded system to execute background checks associated with P2P gun transfers. What are you even talking about man? 

The NICS system is captured by the FFLs as the gatekeepers. They have their own interests to protect, esp in the online world these days. And I am fine with that aspect. But that shit doesn't need to get in the way of implementing BG checks for private transactions. Free the NICS!

Cost to taxpayers?   No.  I’m not helping pay for fees so you can sell your guns.  You pay for that.  I’m not paying for your car and boat registration either

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Bobby you are a liar. You just told me you don’t believe more guns are the solution to our gun violence problem.

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Cost to taxpayers?   No.  I’m not helping pay for fees so you can sell your guns.  You pay for that.  I’m not paying for your car and boat registration either

You already pay for the system. Access is just gatekept by FFLs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Bobby you are a liar. You just told me you don’t believe more guns are the solution to our gun violence problem.

I believe your simplistic emotional one liner was something to the effect of ….”just admit that you want more guns.”

No. I’d like decidedly less guns. Particularly in the hands of the kind of people who decide to attempt mass murder in schools and elsewhere. 

I believe I’ve also made it clear that I don’t see any meaningful lawmaking taking place toward that goal. So I believe hardening the targets is the best solution going forward. And that would involve in part an armed presence as well as other means to deter an attacker. I’m not overly fond of that being the actual educational staff, but there’s quibble room on that. 

Que up the battlefield hyperbole. It’s about time for that round of nonsense again. No. I don’t want wars playing out at elementary schools. I want them to be very unattractive targets for what are generally disturbed cowards. 

So, no, I am not a liar. You just have real difficulty stringing together pretty straight line conclusions. 

I agree that it’s insanity that we have to even contemplate it, but the insanity isn’t stopping. You’ve already admitted that multiple times in this thread, and yet you seem to cling to some hope that it will. The answer becomes obvious. I’d love to hear the solution to deterring mass shootings when one beloved that no laws will be passed. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

We had a program at my children’s elementary school where dad’s could sign up to be “Watch Dogs.” Essentially, the fathers would walk the halls, help a bit at lunch, look intimidating I guess and hopefully be helpful to the kids while deterring an attack. It was ended during Covid. A resource officer was hired and he is very visible in the mornings and afternoons as is his patrol car. But he can’t be everywhere at once, and it would be very easy to do a lot of damage if you timed it right and and did something during recess. 

It does appear that the local police have taken to parking their vehicles in the school lots in very noticeable positions while they have lunch or just wait for a call. It can’t hurt, but they’re not always there. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic