2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Mariners lost too. And the rays. Would have been a good day to win. Oh well, too much winning is bad for the kids. 

the rays are in some pretty deep deuce.  they are .500 since mid may and have lost all their best players.  wouldn't surprise me if they miss the postseason.  meanwhile, the m's are once again going to have some huge games with us down the stretch.  i look forward to the tweets.

separately, i am nervous about framber.  since the asb he has been hammered dogshit other than the whole no-hitter thing.  he has a qs in 2/7 going back before that.  if he can't get it together for miami tomorrow, i'm not sure what the answer is. 

kinda crazy to think we have a solid six-man rotation right now without hearing the names blanco or mccullers.  that said, we're not doing shit in the postseason unless framber and javier fucking find it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the rays are in some pretty deep deuce.  they are .500 since mid may and have lost all their best players.  wouldn't surprise me if they miss the postseason.  meanwhile, the m's are once again going to have some huge games with us down the stretch.  i look forward to the tweets.

separately, i am nervous about framber.  since the asb he has been hammered dogshit other than the whole no-hitter thing.  he has a qs in 2/7 going back before that.  if he can't get it together for miami tomorrow, i'm not sure what the answer is. 

kinda crazy to think we have a solid six-man rotation right now without hearing the names blanco or mccullers.  that said, we're not doing shit in the postseason unless framber and javier fucking find it. 

valdez / javier are the 1-2 combination, the heart of 2022 playoff run.  That's 5 of the 8 cylinder hot rod. 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

Pretty much.  Just have to hope they do.

11 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

Either or on Framber and Javier finding it in my opinion. JV, brown and France, joined with either a locked in Framber or a locked in Javier is good enough to win a WS (if the bats do their job and average 4 or 5 a game) but we are obviously best if it’s JV, Javier and Framber all dealing/ make Jo the 4th starter and use brown as a bullpen weapon 2 or 3 innings at a time. 
not worried about Framber but probably should be. Just feel like this is a little blah and he will be there when we need him. 

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Tampa Bay is even more trouble now if the allegations about Franco are true. They invested a shit-ton in that kid, and from a humanity standpoint I hope they are false.

What are the rumored allegations?

edit: Yikes. Never mind. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Tampa Bay is even more trouble now if the allegations about Franco are true. They invested a shit-ton in that kid, and from a humanity standpoint I hope they are false.

be surprised if they were  will reserve judgement and open to the idea it's not what it looks like, but... yeah.  Bad stuff.  

This is a very good problem ….

The Astros have a crowded rotation and it's going to be like that for a while. SP's under contract, not including minor leaguers...

Framber
JV
Javier
Brown
France
Urquidy
LMJ
Garcia

Framber
JV
Javier
Brown
France
Urquidy
LMJ
Garcia

Javier
Brown
France
LMJ
Garcia

31 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

be surprised if they were  will reserve judgement and open to the idea it's not what it looks like, but... yeah.  Bad stuff.  

100% he hit that. She knew what she was doing and he wasn’t saying no. The big question, is their proof of it 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

This is a very good problem ….

The Astros have a crowded rotation and it's going to be like that for a while. SP's under contract, not including minor leaguers...

Framber
JV
Javier
Brown
France
Urquidy
LMJ
Garcia

Framber
JV
Javier
Brown
France
Urquidy
LMJ
Garcia

Javier
Brown
France
LMJ
Garcia

Looking at 2024 and assuming Garcia and McCullers come back healthy, who can move to the bullpen and be effective?

Stanek and Maton need to be replaced.

13 minutes ago, kevwun said:

LMJ does not have a guaranteed spot at this point and I will bet Dana Brown isn't counting on getting anything from him.

Just to get something out of him for the rest of that contract, he should be in the bullpen. Maybe after 4-5 healthy months you can stretch him out into a starter, but his elbow just isn't healthy enough for 150 IP consistently. Paid like a starter, but would be the ultimate bridge guy in the bullpen.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Looking at 2024 and assuming Garcia and McCullers come back healthy, who can move to the bullpen and be effective?

Stanek and Maton need to be replaced.

Well they are FAs, and I doubt either gets resigned unless it's an under-market deal. All the savings that the Astros get after this season need to be used on Tucker and Framber. I wouldn't even consider a FA bat, because I think Loperfido will be our next Chas. Obviously with the potential for 8 or 9 healthy starting pitchers, you can move two of those guys to the pen, and hope that Montero has a bounce back year.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

100% he hit that. She knew what she was doing and he wasn’t saying no. The big question, is their proof of it 

I mean- 95% he hit that but agree with all the rest of the assessment. If she can prove hit he’s in jail and his career is over I imagine. 
The Oregon State ace never got convicted and also never got to play organized pro ball, right?  Luhnow was going to draft him allegedly but got overruled. 

30 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well they are FAs, and I doubt either gets resigned unless it's an under-market deal. All the savings that the Astros get after this season need to be used on Tucker and Framber. I wouldn't even consider a FA bat, because I think Loperfido will be our next Chas. Obviously with the potential for 8 or 9 healthy starting pitchers, you can move two of those guys to the pen, and hope that Montero has a bounce back year.

I’m hoping we upgrade the bench in this offseason. Watching us run out lineups with 3 non-competitive hitters at a time is depressing.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Fangraphs article on what a Tucker extension might look like

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kyle-tucker-the-man-and-his-dream-contract/

10/300 makes sense on both sides imo. Not sure he’d do 9/244 or whatever was mentioned. Seriously doubt he’d be open to 6/175 like Altuve took. That seems to put him pretty in between. Might he do 4/125?  Maybe. That’s buying out 2 years at 45M apiece and young enough to still get another 9 figure contract if he doesn’t fall off a cliff. 

49 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Bench will be players already here or from the system 

Those players have demonstrated that they are at best AAAA players. These are the potential backups on our 40 man roster today:

Bannon, Dubon, Hensley, Kessinger, Singleton, Julks 

Others at Sugar Land:

Leon, Madris, Matijevic, Dirden

Almost all of those guys have proven that they aren’t competent Major League players. We have at least 3 position players taking spots on the 40 man that no one in baseball wants.

If Dana doesn’t find something better, that’s going to be on him. I think we learn a lot about him as a GM this off-season.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Those players have demonstrated that they are at best AAAA players. These are the potential backups on our 40 man roster today:

Bannon, Dubon, Hensley, Kessinger, Singleton, Julks 

Others at Sugar Land:

Leon, Madris, Matijevic, Dirden

Almost all of those guys have proven that they aren’t competent Major League players. We have at least 3 position players taking spots on the 40 man that no one in baseball wants.

If Dana doesn’t find something better, that’s going to be on him. I think we learn a lot about him as a GM this off-season.

You can add quality vets on cheap 1-year deals. Like Moustakas or Maile, both would make sense. Belt is likely getting a 2-year around what Brantley got this year, he likely doesn't have a spot here because Abreu is signed for another 2 years.

• Hook 'Em 1