2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Podcast 21: Group Therapy! We try to come to grips with the Astros season- rationalize what’s been going on, talk schedule some and lick our wounds after a rough week. Plus, Gabe says something nice about Maldonado

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/2KLpqSJoZGJQPWn38ZDVNI?si=qT0HNjcbQfmjbRdy5KkTMw

Apple:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...n-astros-podcast/id1683955456?i=1000625205985

Amazon:
https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/8...he-season?ref=dm_sh_rGGN13AwkM7vb2ce7RKdXt5qX

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Gaining ground tonight feels like a miracle. We haven't been within 1.5 of first place since Aug 4th. So very stupid that this team couldn't take advantage of the Rangers getting swept over the weekend and decided it was a great time to get swept as well. 

Yeah... the buried lede with all of the moaning this weekend is that despite tripping over our dicks, we lost no ground on the division lead.  Astros can still easily win this division and get the bye.  And the Astros still potentially have a couple of rounds in the chamber for the final stretch with Brantley and Abreu.  Yeah, they are longshots, but maybe one of them is the draw that gets us to an inside straight on the river.  Of course, you should never draw to the inside straight, but we are where we are.

• Hook 'Em 5

40 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Yeah... the buried lede with all of the moaning this weekend is that despite tripping over our dicks, we lost no ground on the division lead.  Astros can still easily win this division and get the bye.  And the Astros still potentially have a couple of rounds in the chamber for the final stretch with Brantley and Abreu.  Yeah, they are longshots, but maybe one of them is the draw that gets us to an inside straight on the river.  Of course, you should never draw to the inside straight, but we are where we are.

Brantley should be a platoon guy that hits 7th against RHP.  But if that happens and Abreu gets back to where he was in June/July before the back flared up that would be pretty sexy lineup.

vRHP

Diaz Abreu Altuve Pena Bregman Alvarez Chaz Tucker Brantley.  If Pena is your #9 hitter and Abreu is your #8 hitter that lineup fucks.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Astros can still easily win this division and get the bye.

fify.

If this season has proved anything with all the injuries and illnesses and inconsistent play, it's the difficulty with which this team has gaining ground on the Rangers. One thing this team has not done this year that every Astros team since 2017 accomplished (covid season excluded for obvious reasons) was a double-digit winning streak. This year's longest winning streak was eight games back in May and during that streak the Astros went from 4 gb to 1 gb and then promptly lost two straight to fall to 3 gm behind. That is this season in a nutshell imo. 

I don't expect this current margin of difference in the standings to improve positively in our direction with the way this lineup is hitting and the state of the starting pitching lately. It's not impossible of course and Fangraphs says the Astros are the current favorite out of the AL to win the WS but nothing about winning this division will be easy. We still have not logged a single day of sole possession of first place. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I am such a stupid mother fucker. I've been reading the tea leaves and I said that I thought Dusty had his reign of terror yanked from him and that the organization was going to have a sense of urgency.  Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. You are a dumb motherfucker Wulaw.  Dumb motherfucker. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dr99 said:

This doesn't make any sense

This is a lie on the level of Correa's shower incident and Alou running on a treadmill. What I don't understand is why they told the truth for poor ole Kazuo.

Kerry Von Erich wrestled with a fake foot for the last 8+ years of his career. C'mon a fucking jammed finger.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I’m not sure why Dusty wouldn’t just put Diaz at first and Singleton at DH. In the event we have to pinch hit for Maldy we could move Diaz to catcher and not lose the DH. Not that we really have a pinch hitter on the bench anyway. 

11 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Proof that Dusty reads Surly

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2