2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Wulaw has had a couple of fucked up posts today. 

Did you watch any of the inept decision making this past weekend which was a fireable offense?  

and holy shit everyone here bitches about Stanek. I’m not saying his career is over- it’s September, it’s probably a high ankle sprain, and he’s a FA.  
Are you saying you enjoy watching Stanek pitch for the astros? Or maldy steal AB’s from a guy who should be getting mvp votes? 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Touché. That rule always gets me 

yeah same here. it's silly how MLB loves to keep those roster rules arcane and unknowable to any fan interested enough to read their own goddamn website for clarification only to find out from beat reporters that everything you thought you knew was wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

42 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

More importantly , the Astros secure the tiebreaker over the Rangers

Remind me.

So winning the season series means we’d win the division if we both finished tied a top the division?

and/or host a playoff game for wild card spot if we were battling for the last one of those?

I can’t remember what requires a 163rd game and what doesn’t these days 

Edited by UTexasFight

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Remind me.

So winning the season series means we’d win the division if we both finished with the same record.

and/or host a playoff game for wild card spot if we were battling for that?

I can’t remember what requires a 163rd game and what doesn’t these days 

No 163rd game at all now. All tie breakers for everything when they added the extra spot. 

Just now, WBT said:

No game 163 at all anymore.

Which sucks if you ask me.

Agreed. There’s just not time for it anymore with the way the schedule is set up, but those were great fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

If he plays every game from here on out, who’s to say he still doesn’t?

I don't know the exact stats, but Diaz's offensive production goes down significantly when he DH's. 

Right?  Anyone of you more intelligent guys have the stats on that?  And what did his numbers look like while playing first, as opposed to playing his actual position, catcher? I need to send this to Sarah Langs.  She'd answer it in about one and a half minutes.

And Jim Crane will demand that Jose Abreu gets the start at first base for ALL postseason games.  Because a guy that rich doesn't know how to say that he made a mistake. You don't get to be that wealthy without a huge and uncompromising ego.

Well, I'm sorry, but significant was probably not the best word. But there is some drop.  Not significant perhaps.  It's just that we all know he's better offensively when he plays the field.

Edited by Overlord

33 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I don't know the exact stats, but Diaz's offensive production goes down significantly when he DH's. 

Right?  Anyone of you more intelligent guys have the stats on that?  And what did his numbers look like while playing first, as opposed to playing his actual position, catcher? I need to send this to Sarah Langs.  She'd answer it in about one and a half minutes.

And Jim Crane will demand that Jose Abreu gets the start at first base for ALL postseason games.  Because a guy that rich doesn't know how to say that he made a mistake. You don't get to be that wealthy without a huge and uncompromising ego.

Well, I'm sorry, but significant was probably not the best word. But there is some drop.  Not significant perhaps.  It's just that we all know he's better offensively when he plays the field.

His numbers playing first, like at catcher, are excellent. He’s a sub 700 ops guy DH-ing, which is Below average. There is a penalty for everyone playing DH v the field. You just aren’t as locked into the game. The fact that the spread for Yainer is MVP v below average is nuts and probably small sample size bullshit, but I’m not positive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Overlord said:

As a catcher (entering today):

155 PAs; .324/.355/.634; 11 HR

As a DH:

134 PAs; .214/.239/.349; 5 HR

He also has a handful of PAs at 1B and as a PH, but not enough to glean anything.

So yeah, he has performed much better offensively when playing catcher rather than DHing. It’s still small samples for each, though, so I don’t think we can conclusively say that it’s a real thing or just statistical noise. 

This is where “significance” comes in - basically we need big enough samples to be able to reasonably conclude that there’s a real difference between samples of different conditions, usually such that the probability that the samples do not represent a real difference is very small (usually less than 5%). 

• Hook 'Em 3

But yeah, I’m inclined to think that his overall offensive numbers are likely the closest to what he really is as a hitter (regardless of position) and those numbers are right there with the 3-4 best offensive catchers in MLB.

A catcher that is good defensively and can hit like that is a huge advantage because most catcher can’t hit. We just inexplicably opt not to take that advantage.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Everything is better when Yanier catches. Team W/L, pitcher ERA, passed balls.. he is clearly the superior player..

Don't forget the part where Maldonado gets to catch the better pitchers (historically speaking) and still has a higher catcher ERA. Front line guys all struggling but nobody mentions that Maldonado is the common denominator. 

• Rage+1 3

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Don't forget the part where Maldonado gets to catch the better pitchers (historically speaking) and still has a higher catcher ERA. Front line guys all struggling but nobody mentions that Maldonado is the common denominator. 

And nothing can possibly happen to change Dusty’s mind on that. But when I root for a sprained ankle or a hamstring strain I’m the asshole. Even brought that’s literally the only practical solution to make the right decision happen. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And nothing can possibly happen to change Dusty’s mind on that. But when I root for a sprained ankle or a hamstring strain I’m the asshole. Even brought that’s literally the only practical solution to make the right decision happen. 

I've had discussions with friends of hiring Tonya Harding's henchmen... So you are not alone

• Like 1

Hopefully they (or the FO) also implored Dusty to give Yanier a shot at catching Framber or JV this series as a trial run for the postseason. 

otherwise get ready to see him riding pine tomorrow and/or Wed.

I expect we’ll have Chas in center tomorrow with Yordan (or Brantley) in left and the other at DH. They won’t put Yainer’s glove at first over Abreu with ground ball Framber on the mound.

on Wed, it’ll probably be Dubon back in center thanks to his two HRs today and the nice catch he had with Yordan/Brantley flipping LF/DH opposite whatever they are Tuesday. Maybe we’ll see Yanier at first with JV being more of a fly ball pitcher and likely fewer infield ground balls.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Maldonado is worse at catching than HPUs are with the strike zone.

11 hours ago, dr99 said:

Remember Dusty said you wouldn't throw a rookie quarterback out there either

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

maybe show some respect for Honduras’ all-time leader in MLB homers with 27 !

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yanier Diaz would likely be the clubhouse leader for AL ROY if not for Dusty Baker.

image.jpeg.b74a414b4cd82ecdef4b04050a478187.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1