2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Does anyone know do Texas and Seattle both hold the tiebreaker over Toronto?   Looking at head to head record it looks like Toronto went 1-6 against Texas and 3-3 against Seattle, but lost Run differential (not even sure if that is a tiebreaker play or not) 27-26 

Unless we have a total collapse (which with this squad is entirely possible) I would think us going .500 at the least the rest of the way gets us in and most like the AL West title.  

56 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Does anyone know do Texas and Seattle both hold the tiebreaker over Toronto?   Looking at head to head record it looks like Toronto went 1-6 against Texas and 3-3 against Seattle, but lost Run differential (not even sure if that is a tiebreaker play or not) 27-26 

After H2H, it goes to intradivision which Toronto pretty much has locked up. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I think you mean Seattle would have that locked up.  Toronto is 15-25 in their division is what I am seeing 

You’re right. I was looking at ESPN expanded standings and they had a heading of INTR which I wrongly assumed was intradivision. 

Edited by TonyTexas

You’re right. I was looking at ESPN expanded standings and they had a heading of INTR which I wrongly assumed was intradivision. 
Yeah i mean i think it technically isn't wrapped up, but Toronto would need to go 12-0 and have Seattle go 0-13 since all remaining games for both are in their division

54 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

This team with any lineup could go 8-4 or 4-8, we’ll go as far as our pitching takes us 

So by all means lets not even fucking try.  Singleton, Dubon, Meyers, maybe Keppinger, definitely Maldy- lets play them all. Since, you know, there's no difference between having an 850 ops guy and a 590 ops guys in the lineup.  Or hitting a 700 ops guy instead of a 900 ops guy.  And leading off the 700 guy.  

It's all the same fellas. Only pitching matters.  BTW- those substandard offensive players are also substandard defensive players compared to their replacements.  So, there is that as well.  

• Hook 'Em 5

This is a team with a manager who stubbornly refuses to maximize his team’s chances of winning. Think about that. It’s kind of the antithesis of the job, no?

Dusty has probably cost the team 5 wins this year just based on his playing time allocation. That’s a guess, but don’t worry, @Wulaw Horn and I are going to do the math on it in a couple weeks and give you a more precise number. It may be more than 5.

It’s almost like those 5 games matter. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No way it’s only 5

So, in some ways it's hard to calculate. When are guys hurt?  When do they just need a blow?  What kind of pitching decisions do you make?  I don't think we can get a precise fix on that.  
But- what we can figure out for sure is what's the difference between playing Diaz 125 games at catcher v Maldy.  What's the difference between playing him 25 games at 1B instead of Jose Abreu?  What's the difference between cheating Chas out of 125 AB's and giving them instead to Julks?  What about Hensley DH'ing all the time?  Meyers sitting on the bench v LHP?  Shit like that.  Just, suboptimal shit that you knew going in was stupid.  

Every decision adds (or subtracts if it's the right decision) some small fraction of a run.  Every 10 wins is worth a run. I'm going to bet it nets out to somewhere around 6 wins.  That doesn't mean simple shit like playing Tucker against the Mariners in a game we lost by 1 run when he was ready and said he was ready didn't in and of itself look like a game, but going back and calculating something like that is probably not fair to the set of assumptions that are otherwise made.  

Someone with a tweet today that he has receipts on text messages with Dusty and the FO and the FO is irate about his decision making but Dusty doesn't give a single fuck because he got Click fired within 72 hours of winning the WS b/c Click tried to keep his bullshit to a minimum.

Again- this is all on Jim Crane. I know yall love him but I think he's been an incredibly shitty manager of the organization.  He hired Luhnow and Luhnow is the fucking best ever, but Crane has gone cheap with every move he makes (some have worked out beautifully) he's set up a broken org chart that's been broken since 2020, and he's intentionally allowing his current manager to drive this thing into a ditch and not stepping in when literally everyone knows the score. In the organization.  In baseball. On the internet.  Whatever.  And that's just absolutely inconceivable to me if you want to win.  And yes- the fact that he hired JL and had the balls to let him do his thing and build the best organization in the century is a credit to him.  Jerry Jones did the same with Jimmy JOhnson and won 3 titles in 4 years.  He won just 1 of them after he kicked Jimmy out and coasted on fumes.  This feels a lot like that unless the Dana Brown hiring is a really good one (it might be) and they align the organization this offseason in a way that works and looks like the way the organization used to be.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4

This all makes last year's team even more impressive.  It took a fucking great team to finally overcome Dusty Baker.  I don't think it's gonna happen again.  I hope to God he doesn't get another shot in Houston because I don't think I can take another season of this.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Scraps said:
4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Yeah i mean i think it technically isn't wrapped up, but Toronto would need to go 12-0 and have Seattle go 0-13 since all remaining games for both are in their division

I would be ok with Seattle going 0-13.  I would prefer Arlington do it, but whatever it takes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I would be ok with Seattle going 0-13.  I would prefer Arlington do it, but whatever it takes.

Since they play each other 7 times, neither of those scenarios would be good for our goal to win the division.  The last thing we need is for one to get hot and dominate the other. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Brantley hurt? Waiting on permission from his dad?

Can’t be having 3 lefties in the lineup facing a lefty 

either that or Brantley would have had to hit 7th to maintain LRLRL and that’s too low for him so he gets the day off.

Rules.

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

I'll say what I know and that's dusty is doing all this as a f you to the gm. There is a power struggle between them. In my opinion that's where crane is at fault , he needs to step in and tell dusty to play the best 9 on roster.

Didn't Dusty have a power struggle with the last GM too?

30 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Thank you!  I’ve been wondering when he’d take some of the heat for the JV-day lineups. 

He should. Demanding Dubon AND Maldy is such a bitch move. Dusty or the org should tell him he gets one or the other, not both 

• Hook 'Em 2

Crane deciding to side with Dusty fucking Baker over 2 Click and Brown is something. 

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

I'll say what I know and that's dusty is doing all this as a f you to the gm. There is a power struggle between them. In my opinion that's where crane is at fault , he needs to step in and tell dusty to play the best 9 on roster.

Putting his own ego over the good of the team. Cool. That’s leadership.

• Hook 'Em 1