2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

No matter what his numbers suggest this year, in key situations Alvarez has largely proved mortal after all. Has he pulled his weight statistically? For sure. But has he spun the magic he did in crunch time last fall? Not so much. 

That's really not blasting the guy, just bringing into focus how epic his bombs against Seattle and Philly were. You can't wait for more of those to bail your club out of tight spots. This tailspin has been pretty much a team effort, and it will take a bunch of folks — Yordan included — to turn that around. 

This is pretty cool, all the pitches from Pressly last night in one frame. Changeup, Curve, Fastball and sliders. There is definitely some tipping going on but not every pitch, and other people in the Twitter thread point out instances of the same going back to early July when his ERA took a dive.  I really can't believe this has been going on for 2 months and nobody in the Astros club has corrected it. Remember when McCullers was tipping pitches in the World Series last year?  The Phillies picked up on it in the first inning, and even the TV crew was speculating about it due to the dugout conversations between Harper and teammates. 

22 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Sure you can see it from the CF cam, but I don’t see how that would be perceptible from the home plate view 

Yeah, I'm sure it looks different from the plate, but the arm movement should be visible. It may be more visible for left handed batters too. Either way, why wouldn't a pitching coach see this and correct it?  It's not like he throws the ball faster with it.  

3 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I finally get what Dusty is doing.  Too many years in a row into the post-season has really taken a toll on the guys.  He's going to rest them this year to be fresh for next year's run.  Fucking 4D chess, y'all.  Show respect where it's due.

Maybe He has some concert to attend to show how cool He is.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yainer playing!  At DH. Where he sort of sucks. At the expense of Yordan (and Brantley if he’s alive still) so Meyers can play. Against a RHP. Maldy catching. 
I should have hit him in the head with a shovel yesterday at BP when I had the chance. 

Yeah… pretty much everything that happens after that (including last night) is really your fault.   Negs inbound.  

• Haha 1

Yordan is scuffling. Taking three 3 straight baseballs like that last night is No beuno.

he probably could use a rest.

but don't do it against the best team in the league. If you have to do it, do it Friday after the off day when we’re playing the 2nd worst team in the league and they’ll have a lefty on the mound… and when we’ll have Diaz at catcher to help cushion the loss of his bat

48 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yainer playing!  At DH. Where he sort of sucks. At the expense of Yordan (and Brantley if he’s alive still) so Meyers can play. Against a RHP. Maldy catching. 
I should have hit him in the head with a shovel yesterday at BP when I had the chance. 

I don’t think there is really any reason to believe he’s a worse hitter as a DH than as a catcher.

But yeah, the commitment to refusing to maximize the lineup is astounding.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 2

It’s not that astounding. Our owner and GM and manager aren’t in agreement. It’s obvious Dusty is going to do it his way and no one will tell him otherwise. He’s fundamentally not going to work as a team with Dana. Dana is going to be 100% in Crane’s ear (and probably is now) that he needs to bring in his guy and Dusty needs to go. 

And he’s not wrong 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yordan is scuffling. Taking three 3 straight baseballs like that last night is No beuno.

he probably could use a rest.

but don't do it against the best team in the league. If you have to do it, do it Friday after the off day when we’re playing the 2nd worst team in the league and they’ll have a lefty on the mound… and when we’ll have Diaz at catcher to help cushion the loss of his bat

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

That works when you have a ten game lead not when you have a 0.5 game lead! Seattle to win AL West, Toronto to have 2nd WC spot, and Texas to have 3rd WC spot. Houston to have a new manager for 2024.

Edited by n64ra
  • Rage+1 1

48 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I don’t think there is really any reason to believe he’s a worse hitter as a DH than as a catcher.

But yeah, the commitment to refusing to maximize the lineup is astounding.

Everyone pays a DH penalty so yeah- there’s some reason to believe he’s worse as a DH than regular. Is he uniquely worse?  Probably not. But if anyone would be it would likely be a young rookie that everyone seems to agree can tend toward focus/concentration issues.