2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 hours ago, Sealtm6 said:

Is Altuve a first ballot guy?

For President...of the world? Yes.

There have been nine go-ahead postseason homers in the ninth inning or later with a player’s team trailing; Yordan Alvarez hit the most recent, in Game 1 of the 2022 AL Division Series against the Mariners. The only other ALCS example came in 1986, when Dave Henderson of the Red Sox slugged one to help topple the Angels. Altuve has 3 of the nine.

or as an incredibly positive ambassador of the game who has been the heart and soul of a franchise that was total shit less than 10 years ago? He's a player who should be fucking embraced at every road game, but MLB couldn't stand how Houston but the whole system on it's head and built a deadly team while sustaining it like people haven't seen in multiple decades.  Regular season. Playoffs, Moments. Stats. Heart. Moxy. Never an ounce of trouble off the field. and he's short AF.

He'll likely get fucked, but shouldn't.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

For President...of the world? Yes.

There have been nine go-ahead postseason homers in the ninth inning or later with a player’s team trailing; Yordan Alvarez hit the most recent, in Game 1 of the 2022 AL Division Series against the Mariners. The only other ALCS example came in 1986, when Dave Henderson of the Red Sox slugged one to help topple the Angels. Altuve has 3 of the nine.

or as an incredibly positive ambassador of the game who has been the heart and soul of a franchise that was total shit less than 10 years ago? He's a player who should be fucking embraced at every road game, but MLB couldn't stand how Houston but the whole system on it's head and built a deadly team while sustaining it like people haven't seen in multiple decades.  Regular season. Playoffs, Moments. Stats. Heart. Moxy. Never an ounce of trouble off the field. and he's short AF.

He'll likely get fucked, but shouldn't.

it’s fine, we get him all to ourselves. as a selfish person, this works. the booing is stupid but it makes him better, so…

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wood said:

LOL. Crazy how loud Arlington Stadium Globe Life Field MinuteMaid North got when he hit that. 

Yep, you listen to the crowd and you swear that's an Astros home game.  Astros fans showed out.

Maybe MMP crew should boo the team and start a "We want Houston" chant before first pitch just to get them locked in.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yep, you listen to the crowd and you swear that's an Astros home game.  Astros fans showed out.

Maybe MMP crew should boo the team and start a "We want Houston" chant before first pitch just to get them locked in.

I'll be there tomorrow night. I'd be shocked if the home crowd doesn't start an ironic chant like that all on its own.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If you watched Peyton's (smokin' Dallas news girl) exit interviews with the fans leaving the stadium, there was a dude who said the same thing.  IIRC, I think he said it was embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

If you watched Peyton's (smokin' Dallas news girl) exit interviews with the fans leaving the stadium, there was a dude who said the same thing.  IIRC, I think he said it was embarrassing.

He said it was 'disgusting'.

1 minute ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Literally replayed the homerun in my dreams all night.

Initially, I thought it was a no-doubter. Been misjudging balls off the bat all three games at MMP-N. Then when it barely cleared the wall, I thought it had been caught. Then we saw that it was a HR. The emotional rollercoaster was like an aggy football season compressed into about 5 seconds, except with a good result instead of the usual aggy ending. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Initially, I thought it was a no-doubter. Been misjudging balls off the bat all three games at MMP-N. Then when it barely cleared the wall, I thought it had been caught. Then we saw that it was a HR. The emotional rollercoaster was like an aggy football season compressed into about 5 seconds, except with a good result instead of the usual aggy ending. 

I thought he caught it too. Was yelling too loud to hear the announcer losing his shit. I thought Altuve's stone cold demeanor was because he had gotten out until the "home run" logo appeared in the box. What a bad motherfucker.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Evidently, I didn't remember correctly.  Disgusting is just as good in my book.  In fact, it's better.  You sir, are a steely eyed missile man and a memory to match.

LOL. Nah, it just stuck out to me, because it can be taken two ways, and I wondered which way he meant it. Was he disgusted at Rangers fans for letting it happen, or was he disgusted by Astros fans for being there? I have no idea.

Edited by wood

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How about Jon Singleton? Shortened a promising career because he likes smoking pot too much. Gets back to the MLB after years away, and in his first post season at bat, pinch hitting, gets the all important walk in the 9th. It could end up as his only playoff appearance.

even the call to pinch hit Diaz for Pena was unexpected. I expected Pena to hit and THEN pinch hit Diaz for Maldonado. Why not switch it up, and take out the struggling reigning WS MVP. The easy coaching decision was to play it safe but why give Texas what was expected.

Yeah and at least 3 of those were very tough takes, too.

I imagine Texas was scratching their heads on how to pitch to singleton. 95% of his numbers come from one season, nine years ago. He’s basically a HR hitter only and that’s it so you can’t make it easy for him when he’s the tying run. 

according to baseball reference, the Astros previously paid Singleton $10.5m mainly to not play. Depending on how it turns out, the Astros got that money back last night.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

Currently listening to the radio pbp archived call with Ford and Sparks. My dopamine high still hasn't faded. I was working during the game last night and only got to catch bits and pieces but was following along for most of it. I wished I'd been at home online with you beautiful assholes watching in real time because that was a game for the ages.

What an epic moment the GOAT delivered and what an epic call by Robert Ford.

• Hook 'Em 5

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How about Jon Singleton? Shortened a promising career because he likes smoking pot too much. Gets back to the MLB after years away, and in his first post season at bat, pinch hitting, gets the all important walk in the 9th. It could end up as his only playoff appearance.

even the call to pinch hit Diaz for Pena was unexpected. I expected Pena to hit and THEN pinch hit Diaz for Maldonado. Why not switch it up, and take out the struggling reigning WS MVP. The easy coaching decision was to play it safe but why give Texas what was expected.

Dusty would never 

My dad and brother started going to astros games for my brothers birthday in the 70s, and when i was born, i started going with them. First sporting event i ever went to was an astros game. Went to the last astrodome game with my brother and watched willy nelson play. When the astros were losing 300 games in 3 seasons, i worked in an office within walking distance of minute maid and would buy cheap astros tickets for $5. Saw so many blowout losses that year.

I sat through so many miserable memories as lifetime astros fan. Even the good moments were quaint. I cannot believe where altuve has taken these astros after decades of being middling. Hes made following the astros for my entire life feel worth it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Man, FUCK YOU Adolis Garcia and FUCK THE ARLINGTON RANGERS.

What a dumbass motherfucker. Take your base, assclown.

Compare his antics in the fucking 6th inning of a two run game vs the GOAT hitting a go-ahead three-run jack and coolly rounding the bases like it was a routine moment and you know why the Rangers are fucking losers and the Astros keep winning October baseball games.

• Hook 'Em 5