2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

On this date, October 22nd

2022 - Cristian Javier and five relievers blank the Yanks, 5-0, to take Game 3 of the ALCS and earn a dominant 3-0 lead in the best-of-7 series, limiting the Yankees to just 3 hits. Chas McCormick hits an opposite-field home run off of Gerrit Cole and a dropped fly ball by Harrison Bader triggers a 3-run sixth to put the game away.
2021 - The Astros take Game 6 of the ALCS to win their third AL championship in 5-years. Luis Garcia and the bullpen held Boston to 2 hits in a 5-0 shutout. Kyle Tucker crushes a 3-run shot in the 8th to put the series on ice. Yordan Alvarez is named the series MVP.
2005 - In the first World Series game of their 43-year history, Roger Clemens lasts only 2 innings in a 5-3 loss to the White Sox.  

Edited by Saint Tacky

28 minutes ago, oh_snap said:

If Abreu suspension holds after appeal, can we call someone up to take his roster spot, or do we have to go short? Siap

A couple of years ago @MLB issued the warning that if a player were suspended in the playoffs for using "sticky stuff," his team wouldn't get to replace him because it was an "on-field violation." This might fall under that category, unless our luck changes.

There is no way I believe someone that isn't a Rangers fan, or an absolute despiser of the Astros believes Abreu hit Garcia on purpose.  There is also no real world math that says "putting a 2nd guy on down 2 in the 8th with no outs is so little of an issue that we'll do it on purpose".  There are also zero previous scenarios like this, that someone can point to, where a team made that decision.  STFU with that nonsense.  

Edited by uoftorange

12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

A bunch of bullshit ….

Not that I need or want to defend Harper, but that happened during the regular season. Also Angel Hernandez can EABOD.

But the real travesty here is that Adolis isn’t suspended. Benches cleared because he acted a fool. He pushed Maldonado, the ump, and then charged Maldonado again. If Abreu deserves a suspension (he doesn’t), logic serves that Garcia does more given it was him who really escalated the situation.
what sucks more is this is a distraction that takes away from the game prep. Given our experience in October, think we can harness this for good. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m pretty sure we intentionally hit him. and I’m ok with it and I think the “makes it harder for us to win” thing is really overblown. Their win percentage went from 95.2 to 96.3. It was basically a list cause any way you look at it. Introducing an element of chaos to the thing was probably helpful. 

Perhaps more relevant probability is expected run scored in the two different scenarios. 

With a man on 1st with no outs

Number Probability

0 runs 512008 57.37311%
1 runs 167156 18.73068%
2 runs 110778 12.41324%
3 runs 55313 6.19810%

With men on 1st and 2nd

0 runs 74106 36.33359%
1 runs 46266 22.68386%
2 runs 33902 16.62189%
3 runs 25165 12.33820%

Altuve's already been "thrown at" with a far more dangerous pitch. He later punished the ball to get even. Alvarez has also had some high, tight shaves, as well as catching one off the foot. I don't recall much being made of these incidents by broadcasters, and certainly not by the maggots in blue. So I'm curious what happens if some Astro gets buzzed today. Regardless, we all realize it's yet another Manfred flex on the team he loves to hate. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

4 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Would make a good screen saver.

too many fucking southern Oklahomans.

Just make it Yordan/ Altuve/ Et al/ Dusty/ a bowl of banana pudding.

It don't make a fuck this year.

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

There’s a meeting at 5:00 regarding the Abreu suspension. Unsure if a decision will come out of it. 

Like Maldy called the meeting or what?

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think we’re steaming towards the most bitter rivalry in professional sports. BUT… the Rangers don’t have fans. The teams certainly hate each other. 

Not even close on the fan level.

The teams hate each other plenty.

The Rangers keep thinking the Astros will shrink with a punch.

The Rangers are dumb AF.

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

There are rumors of a ‘settlement’ 

If Garcia just takes his base and keeps his mouth shut, nothing happens at all 

If Abreu doesn’t throw that far up and in, nothing happens 

if Yordan doesn’t play bouncer and keep Garcia away Garcia’s suspended too 

playing the “if” game is dumb 

21 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

There are rumors of a ‘settlement’ 

If Garcia just takes his base and keeps his mouth shut, nothing happens at all 

So when Altuve and Yordan get thrown at all the time, they need to have a roid rage like Garcia.