2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

17 minutes ago, Welch said:

Wasn’t able to follow much yesterday at all.  Was there some split or other high-level analysis that explained Dubon over McCormick (in the starting lineup), or was it just garden-variety Dusty dipshittery?

i mean, i know what Occam’s Razor would suggest, but figured I’d ask anyway.

Lulz

• Haha 2

What if they don't even need Pressly tonight?  You are saving him for a theoretical situation that may never happen.  And if you insist he was unavailable, why not use Stanek earlier instead of Neris?  Fuck, he's below Maton in the pecking order.  We went in to the 9th with Montero and Stanek as our options.  You can't explain that away.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

people hate Chas?  The blessing is this is Dusty's last game tonight, same with Maldo Waldo Fatso.  Good riddance. 

They are both coming back. We are now a dumb organization. Maldy will get a bullshit contract to be the backup catcher and Dusty will catch him 130 games. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

This.

Oh, you are the one who knows what you are talking about and you think it was a sound move to put your worst statistical hitter up, who hasn’t gotten a hit in more than a month, in the highest of leverage situations? I didn’t blame the loss on that one thing, but that doesn’t mean it is a sound move. Or anything approaching defensible.

43 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They are both coming back. We are now a dumb organization. Maldy will get a bullshit contract to be the backup catcher and Dusty will catch him 130 games. 

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Absolutely can not bring Maldy back. Our pitchers are like toddlers and we need to baby-proof the clubhouse to take away dangerous objects like Maldy’s intangibles which only turn a 95 win team into a 90 win team.

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, Gourmand said:

You assholes need this right now

No we need a non dementia candidate setting the lineup and making the substitutions.  We have him his name is Joe Espada but unfortunately he defers to the dementia candidate and so we continue to give the Rangers free outs.

Dusty Baker never won a game 7. Great.

I never worry about the pitching at home.  And I would love to think "man our guys are going to wake up and end this shit tonight in the H, regardless of our home record. We got this!"  But I thought that about game 6.....and it's hard to be positive tonight again. 

Sure Javier may do well, but our offense doesn't have the fire to dominate at home or answer when punched in the mouth at home.  I have seen this movie before....

Edited by utxmike05

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea Javier is great. It’s the shit offense at home I’m worried about. If we had scored runs we never would have been in the position of montero and stanek to begin with. 

have to find our clutch hitting at home 

Edited by tx 3 putt

11 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I’m still absolutely stunned that Dusty ran Singleton out there with the bases loaded and two outs.    Even for Dusty that was some crazy shit.  

11 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Dusty ran him out there because he drew a walk on Friday.

It makes zero sense to run Singleton out there. I am not being hyperbolic. There is simply no logical or strategic reason to run him out there in that situation.

He's not a contact hitter, and that's exactly what you needed there--someone who could hit a line drive to the outfield to tie it up. He drew a walk on Friday? Great. There are two outs, and Maldy is hitting behind him, who you ended up pinch hitting for anyway and likely would have if Singleton does draw a walk. So, at worst, you send Diaz up in that spot instead and guarantee an AB for the guy who you really want to hit there. I would have sent Chas up, you know that guy who has been a well-above average MLB hitter all season and homered in Game 4 and has the speed to leg one out if it comes down to it, but either way, you can't give Singleton that AB. 

Please someone tell me I'm missing something because I am losing my shit thinking our manager really just rolled with Singleton because he thought it would make a cool moment if he came through. 

Fuck it. We'll either celebrate going to the World Series again tonight or we'll celebrate Dusty not managing the team anymore. I refuse to entertain the possibility they'll bring him back for another season. If we do, we deserve to have the golden era come to an end. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If Crane is stupid enough to bring Dusty back then he needs to have a fan event where we can pay $10 come kick him straight in the nuts and tell him how much he sucks and needs to sell the team.

• Drool 1

11 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Please, please, please don't let it come down to the managers tomorrow.

Please.

11 hours ago, Gourmand said:

It won't because it never is.

This is mostly true.  The managers only matter a little bit at the margins.  But damn if we haven't been putting that to the test this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Everyone bitching about Montero to start the 9th, I’m still waiting to hear who should have been out there instead.

(and don’t say Pressly because I’ve already posted twice about why that is incorrect).

Following up more on this, I get what you're saying.  There's very little chance we were going to win down 2 after 8.  But Saturday was an off day and there are 3 days between Game 7 and the WS.  Pressly could have thrown an inning last night and 2 today.

4 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

I think there’s an argument for Dubon at short. Peña looks completely lost.

Pena needs someone reasonable behind him in the lineup.  When you are protected by the Black Hole Sun you never get shit to hit.

If you just start Diaz and hit Pena in the 9 hole then Altuve is there to protect Pena problem solved on multiple levels.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ve told you this all year. People hate me for it. It just is- no need to be surprised now. 

Those are the same asswipe shitboxes who deny reality.  It's going to be funny as fuck when the banking system finally pukes it's guts out and they lose "their" money when the banks do bail-ins even though deposits in the banking system as collateral free loans to the banks.  Then they will stand around surprised as fuck that something happened and be whining and crying for daddy government to come save them ceding even more power from their already miserable lives.

3 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Those are the same asswipe shitboxes who deny reality.  It's going to be funny as fuck when the banking system finally pukes it's guts out and they lose "their" money when the banks do bail-ins even though deposits in the banking system as collateral free loans to the banks.  Then they will stand around surprised as fuck that something happened and be whining and crying for daddy government to come save them ceding even more power from their already miserable lives.

image.gif.9faa10fee100f1f7ddb6ff82d681912a.gif

• Like 1

My last 3 games at MMP have been 9/24, when we got swept by KC, ALDS Game 2, and last night. Been real fun spending 3 of my last 5 Sundays watching us flounder. I think my in-person record for the year is something like 4-11.  I'm not setting foot in that stadium again until the College Classic in March. Don't care what happens tonight.

Just saw a stat that we've had 28 sellouts at MMP this year. We're 7-21 in those games.

How can a team save its absolute worst baseball for its biggest home crowds? It boggles the mind.

• Rage+1 3