45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

Trump wasn't a President.  Trump was and is a hatchet man for the US government.  If you want to see the U.S. federal government dismantled, he's the best President of all time.  He's kind of uniquely gifted to be that guy, because they have to have:

• a ruthless CEO's sociopathy and lack of concern for others
  • a malignant narcissist' self-aggrandizement and unshakeable confidence
  • a career criminal's lack of morality and disdain for the law
  • a mental moron's stupidity so as to be oblivious when they are failing

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

I would love to see the case for who was worse. Trump alienated allies, reduced global influence, mishandled a public health crisis, actively strove to divide the citizenry, and, yeah, attempted a coup in the laziest most slap dash way possible.

Read up on James Buchanan

Buchanan just let Southern states seize Federal weapons, ammo and equipment.  Didn't event try to stop them and everyone knew it was gonna happen.  The war might have started quite differently if the South didn't have any cannons just as one example.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Trump's lawyers wanting to delay the document criminal case until after the election. Mid November trial start.

Why can the obvious be stated in the open court that this is only a ploy to get the trial delayed another 4+ years if Trump wins the election. And of course in this scenario, Trump's new AG's priority #1 will be to eliminate the case now and forever.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, locodos said:

He also tanked reconstruction and you might argue that he's one of the principle reasons the us South is the way it is.  Fuck that guy both of them.  

Pos rep, but I think debasing yourself to the level where you morally justify enslaving other people and treating them as less than fully human is the key to what makes the South the South.

I hadn't thought of Reconstruction in decades. I wonder if we'd just have largely the same South with a better economy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, locodos said:

He also tanked reconstruction and you might argue that he's one of the principle reasons the us South is the way it is.  Fuck that guy both of them.  

The South is the way it is because it's full of Southerners.  Jackson and Buchanan just fanned their flames of ignorance and gave them stuff with which to blow shit up.  

You know when you watch documentaries about African Warlords giving AK-47's and RPG's to 12 year old boys.  And you shake your Christian head thinking, "Those poor souls never had a chance.  Shame on those men they trusted.  Thank the Lord that could never happen here."  That's who Trump is.  Giving validation to marginalized people.  Telling them their hate and displacement is normal but must be directed at others now...and then shows them the way to war...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Pos rep, but I think debasing yourself to the level where you morally justify enslaving other people and treating them as less than fully human is the key to what makes the South the South.

I hadn't thought of Reconstruction in decades. I wonder if we'd just have largely the same South with a better economy. 

Radically different.   It will piss you off, but look into it.  Really really frustrating and we are living with the big lie to this very day.  Thanks banned books!

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The South is the way it is because it's full of Southerners.  Jackson and Buchanan just fanned their flames of ignorance and gave them stuff with which to blow shit up.  

You know when you watch documentaries about African Warlords giving AK-47's and RPG's to 12 year old boys.  And you shake your Christian head thinking, "Those poor souls never had a chance.  Shame on those men they trusted.  Thank the Lord that could never happen here."  That's who Trump is.  Giving validation to marginalized people.  Telling them their hate and displacement is normal but must be directed at others now...and then shows them the way to war...

Buddy if you think the rednecks haven't been restless til Trump, I've got some bad news for you.  He just gave them cover to publicly express hatred that's been passed down for generations, and he was successful because some assholes figured out how to monetize it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I hadn't thought of Reconstruction in decades. 

You are missing out man! There's been a big battle between historians on the end date or possible extension of Reconstruction into the Gilded Age based on historiographical points of view. I think ESPN is going to show some of the speeches at AHA Annual Meeting next year!

• Haha 3

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, compared to the people of his day?  I'm guessing he was about on par.

Visiting The Hermitage in Nashville on a hot day in 2019 was quite the trip. At the entrance they had a "save the $20" where you could donate to the cause to maintain Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill. After that you can walk right over to look into the hot stuffy dirt floored slave quarters where families were packed in as they could gaze upon the huge relatively comfortable mansion that Jackson had built. Civil religion is a hell of a drug.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Great watch on Reconstruction and how it reverberates today...

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

As was the custom at the time

Trump should steal his "It is a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word" next time people make fun of his spelling. His rubes would eat it up as much as Jackson's rubes did. There'd be Walmart scooter patrons in shirts and bumper stickers on F350s the very next day.

Edited by SimonBolivar

6 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

1:28AM.  At the very least, I know that orange cunt is freaking the fuck out.  I still don't think he'll ever get his just due, but at least he's scared. 

Doesn't even need to be his just due; they got Capone on tax evasion. It wasn't but a fraction of what he deserved, but it was enough to do the job.

5 hours ago, locodos said:

I like that he feels victimized.

I know we *might* have had worse Presidents, but have we ever had a whinier bitch in the oval office?

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Andrew Jackson was about as racist as you could get.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Buchanan was pretty terrible also. He didn't even bother to try to stop the Civil War from happening.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Thanks. I've bookmarked it for later.

I've always thought of Trump as a modern-day Andrew Jackson, but both worse and stupider. As for whether or not he's worse than Buchanan, let's just say the jury's still out. He's not quite worse than Buchanan... yet.

If he gets jailed/dies and his movement ends, it becomes a more interesting discussion; if not... I don't think Buchanan "wins" this one.

And definitely bookmarked that lecture for later.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wow I’m shocked 

97d0f87b-daf1-4d56-81a9-e55cab95f05f_tex

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Looks like the first smackdown of Aileen is on deck:

I'll have to look deeper, but the quoted sections aren't precisely at odds.

One of the things the defense has to show is how relevant classified information is to the defense and what level of disclosure is required.  Which means exposing defense theories and theories that may not be the trial theory.  So, Cannon seems to be permitting an ex parte hearing where the defense can explain their theories, why classified information is needed to support or prove them and thus that it is entitled to some level of disclosure of and use of classified materials at trial.  For fairly obvious reasons, they don't necessarily want the government to be privy to that discussion, and that's legit.

Whereas, Chutkan is saying, in different context, apparently, that there cannot be a non-ex-parte hearing where classified evidence is discussed in detail (ex parte meaning one side or the other, only).

But, if she fucks up CIPA, I'm all for the interlocutory appeal the gubmint gets and maybe a reassignment to a more experienced judge.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He’s viciously attacked every single judge except Cannon

and as irony would have it, she'll be the first one attacked by MAGA nation for not protecting her Commander.  Some of these people are so personally fucked, they can't see it.  Living your life looking over your shoulder is not just a movie cliche, it's real and it will eat away at you from the inside until the point where you'll view the bullet as a welcomed relief.  the AI bots queued up to feed the MAGA nutjobs that Meadows, Canon, Barr, Jared, Mike Johnson, et. al. are robustly in place.  They will take to the dark web, the Qanon sites, 4chan, even facebook and they will convince---if even just a few thousand acolytes---that the Deep State has compromised these former loyal Trump staffers and leaders sold him out.  And then, the hunt begins...

• Hook 'Em 1

To be fair to her in this case, she can't control the Gregorian calendar.  The Orange ShitStain is involved deep into four separate trials in 4 different venues.  

I said, as many others did, a year ago that this whole thing wouldn't come to facts, or law, or politics.  It would come to days of the week and months of the year.  Back him into a corner, not of space, but of time.  And his body will consume itself.  And the ensuing Bacchanalia will make Caligula himself blush in his grave.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

At least she can't fuck with the Georgia and 1/6 cases.

and the NY civil trial.

BTW apparently Trump is very worked up about what is happening there - has made something like 100 rants on truth about it. It seems he was in a bit of denial about what was happening there and now the reality has hit him in the face.

• Drool 1

and the NY civil trial.
BTW apparently Trump is very worked up about what is happening there - has made something like 100 rants on truth about it. It seems he was in a bit of denial about what was happening there and now the reality has hit him in the face.

Good.
  • Hook 'Em 5

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Stop committing so many crimes and it wouldn’t be an issue 

If he would have taken the President's job seriously and respected the position, showed some class and empathy, he would have won reelection easily and probably had a statue and a school or highway named for him. But no, he's not built that way because the job was way over his intelligence level and he only knows how to bully people to get his way. And yet there's Cannon. I have no idea what her endgame is. Does she think that by helping Trump and hoping he gets reelected she'll get a Supreme Court position? 

2 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

If he would have taken the President's job seriously and respected the position, showed some class and empathy, he would have won reelection easily and probably had a statue and a school or highway named for him. But no, he's not built that way because the job was way over his intelligence level and he only knows how to bully people to get his way. And yet there's Cannon. I have no idea what her endgame is. Does she think that by helping Trump and hoping he gets reelected she'll get a Supreme Court position? 

Probably.

17 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Being a federal judge in a low volume district *for life* is a uniquely rare and sweet job that thousands of more qualified attorneys would have taken. I think it’s not about ambition but she’s acting out of loyalty- just like our former mob boss in chief wanted 

• Hook 'Em 2