45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You can settle after you've already been found liable?

He's only been find liable on one count. The hearings are for the others and for damages on the one count IIRC.

Not sure if he can negotiate damages on the count he's already lost. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Besides, the Deep State will ensure his defeat.

The greatest trick the Deep State ever pulled was convincing the World that they didn't exist.  

If they did, how is Donald Trump still alive let alone about to get the sole candidate for the 2024 GOP nomination, let alone about even with Biden in the EC projections? 

I confess, I used to believe in some version of a deep state, or shadow government.  Even met some folks I was partially convinced were a party to it.  Turns out I was just drunk and the shitheap you see in D.C. is really all there is.  Granted, it's backed by a reserve currency and really cool airplanes, but this is about what we're working with here. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The greatest trick the Deep State ever pulled was convincing the World that they didn't exist.  

If they did, how is Donald Trump still alive let alone about to get the sole candidate for the 2024 GOP nomination, let alone about even with Biden in the EC projections? 

I confess, I used to believe in some version of a deep state, or shadow government.  Even met some folks I was partially convinced were a party to it.  Turns out I was just drunk and the shitheap you see in D.C. is really all there is.  Granted, it's backed by a reserve currency and really cool airplanes, but this is about what we're working with here. 

I forget who said it (maybe the Pod Save America guys), but apparently we all think the US government is like the West Wing, when in reality, it's like Veep.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

in civil matters you can always settle.  before suit, during suit, after being found liable, exhausted appeals, judgment full, final, and collectible, etc.  the question is what can you promise in settlement and what will the other side accept.  you may settle after judgment (as a judgment holder) because finding and collecting upon assets may be difficult or costly, for example.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh come on.  J6 had how many people participate -- 10,000?  How many were veterans -- 1,000?  2,000?  That's a drop in the bucket.

Yes, there are MAGAts in the military.  However, research shows that brass is moving left and is likely better than 50/50 at this point, and the rank and file are probably no more than 40/60.  It's not a secret police force just waiting to be mobilized.

Am I missing some sarcasm? I Googled and it appears that 7% of living Americans have served in the military so if you're telling me 10-20% of the Jan 6 attackers were veterans, that's something, right?

Just now, C-Man said:

Am I missing some sarcasm? I Googled and it appears that 7% of living Americans have served in the military so if you're telling me 10-20% of the Jan 6 attackers were veterans, that's something, right?

I made up the number.  I'm just saying however many vets were in that crowd doesn't necessarily speak for the majority of veterans.  If your % is correct, that's 23M+ veterans living in America.  The entire J6 crowd was WAY less than a percent of that number.

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fantastic post.  Decency and empathy are the very things that "made America great" 

I love you, but no. 

The foundational fabric of this country is hatred and abuse cloaked in enterprise, commerce, and religion. 

A result of the climate of hate... 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I think that's right.  The real risk here is that we are going to see American Loyalist units of our military facing off against MAGA-commanded units of our military.  Flynn's brother's troops against actual loyal units following their oath.  Actually shooting at each other.

Agree, this is quite possible. It is utterly naive and dangerous to think the military is immune to -- or outside of -- the dominant beliefs ideologies in our culture. I bet there are tons of "patriotic" soldiers who are MAGA-GQP, wouldn't surprise me if military MAGA is close to the percent of the population supporting Trump: about 45%. 

If the soldiers have a smart phone and internet connection, they can slide down into the Q rabbit hole and right into fascist Team USA. And be roused to violence by Trump, Bannon, and their fascist lackies. That's a powder keg waiting to explode in the days after a contentious, close election. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

Agree, this is quite possible. It is utterly naive and dangerous to think the military is immune to -- or outside of -- the dominant beliefs ideologies in our culture. I bet there are tons of "patriotic" soldiers who are MAGA-GQP, wouldn't surprise me if military MAGA is close to the percent of the population supporting Trump: about 45%. 

If the soldiers have a smart phone and internet connection, they can slide down into the Q rabbit hole and right into fascist Team USA. And be roused to violence by Trump, Bannon, and their fascist lackies. That's a powder keg waiting to explode in the days after a contentious, close election. 

Your theory hinges on the idea that the majority of these idealogues will ignore their oath, and that's just fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

There is a deep state, but it’s not a secret cabal of the powerful. It is what Robert Heinlein called “Our Noble, Essential Decency” in his Famous essay for “This I believe,” as follows:

This basic but noble, essential decency is the matter and substance and prime directive of the “deep state”, for all of its bumbling. Decency is precisely the thing that Donald Trump and his partners in diminishment seek to eliminate from government and more broadly, from the culture, and every edgelord cynic like @Anastasis or dumbass conspiracy loon or deluded partisan is their witting or unwitting accomplice in that nasty and dehumanizing work, and it saddens and angers us. But as long as decency matters, the Deep State lives. 

Thanks for the name drop. I do like they last line though. Has a “the real treasure is the friends we make along the way”vibe to it. Carry on. In the mean time I will really think about this notion that government bureaucracy is really a function of humanizing decency. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Fantastic post.  Decency and empathy are the very things that "made America great" (and no, they are not and have not been perfect)...

The "deep state" is we the motherfucking people.  And a hale and hearty "fuck off" to those who would try to destroy that.

Unsurprising jingoistic lack of self reflection on what America is and always has been. We had a moment though, granted. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

There is a deep state, but it’s not a secret cabal of the powerful. It is what Robert Heinlein called “Our Noble, Essential Decency” in his Famous essay for “This I believe,” as follows:

This basic but noble, essential decency is the matter and substance and prime directive of the “deep state”, for all of its bumbling. Decency is precisely the thing that Donald Trump and his partners in diminishment seek to eliminate from government and more broadly, from the culture, and every edgelord cynic like @Anastasis or dumbass conspiracy loon or deluded partisan is their witting or unwitting accomplice in that nasty and dehumanizing work, and it saddens and angers us. But as long as decency matters, the Deep State lives. 

There's an evolutionary (and to a degree) necessary negative bias in human nature. Newspapers aren't going to report the local 7-11 wasn't robbed and the vast majority of human interactions that occurred there were ones of trust. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Unsurprising jingoistic lack of self reflection on what America is and always has been. We had a moment though, granted. 

We spent the better part of two centuries getting better, not worse (and yeah…we had a LONG way to go, and faltered plenty of times). Now, we have a whole party determined to take us backwards.

But by all means, do tell how the very people you grew up with and still live in your neighborhoods who are serving on city councils, boards, and commissions, often for little or no pay, taking constant flack, are the corrupt bad guys.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

We spent the better part of two centuries getting better, not worse (and yeah…we had a LONG way to go, and faltered plenty of times). Now, we have a whole party determined to take us backwards.

But by all means, do tell how the very people you grew up with and still live in your neighborhoods who are serving on city councils, boards, and commissions, often for little or no pay, taking constant flack, are the corrupt bad guys.

First paragraph requires very selective framing and a good measure of delusion. Second is typical brisket straw man shit. 

I am not really sure why y’all are trying to force the square peg into a round hole, other than that it serves to prop up the typical jingoistic bullshit you two spew about stuff like the Pax Americana and the rules based international order.  But yes, tell us all more about decency and dehumanization  

First paragraph requires very selective framing and a good measure of delusion. Second is typical brisket straw man shit. 

I am not really sure why y’all are trying to force the square peg into a round hole, other than that it serves to prop up the typical jingoistic bullshit you two spew about stuff like the Pax Americana and the rules based international order.  But yes, tell us all more about decency and dehumanization  

Nyet.
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

i’m not sure if you like history. If you do consider yourself an historian, you are one of the worst ones that I’ve met.

Oh good. Tell us all about the historical role of government bureaucracy in spreading the feels of liberty, humanity, and decency throughout the world. Pick a century as a starting point and trace from there. Or a decade whatever. Some have shorter attention spans than others. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

majority of these idealogues will ignore their oath, and that's just fucking stupid.

Thanks for the insult, yet again. Looks like my atheism/existentialism is still bothering you. 

I normally don't reply to insults, but will this one time. After this, it is adios, JJ.

-------

It should be easy to see how honoring one's "oath" can be bent, twisted, and weaponized via propaganda/social media to serve MAGA-Trump-GQP agenda and "Save America" and "Do God's Will" (etc etc) after a close, contentious election. That's happened throughout fascist-communist-authoritarian history.

Hell, the current Supreme Court is violating oaths, logic, reason, precdent, etc. Alito and Dobbs showed us that. Hunt bought Thomas. Oaths? Lulz. 

Facts and reality do not matter in such regimes and eras, except when bent to serve political goals of domination, control, power, etc. Orwell showed how that would work in 1984. It's called "doublethink" and it permeates 21st century American consciousness.

I'm also wondering; did all those virtuous, patriotic, freedom loving soldiers think they were honoring their "oath" when they were waterboarding prisoners, deploying torture methods in the Middle East, violating the Geneva Convention, following the orders of Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld (all three war criminals) to invade and bomb Iraq based on propaganda of "weapons of mass destruction." The majority of Americans favored using torture, like 55-60%.

What about the "oath" those moments? Oaths were weaponized in service to patriotism, religion, and political barbarism. And thus the oaths were worthless. 

Edited by BevoAbyss

Well this 1 in 5 thing just sucks. Not too surprised given depth of media segmentation along political lines. Even when Fox isn’t bending the truth super hard right, their advertisers sound alarm after alarm. Buy gold! The banks are collapsing! Protect your internets! Your house will burn down! 

The foresight to get rid of cable TV 15 years ago probably saved this vet. Well that and degrees from UT 

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/21/958915267/nearly-one-in-five-defendants-in-capitol-riot-cases-served-in-the-military

IMG_2482.jpeg

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Can't see the post.  But yeah, you can lose at trial, file an appeal and, especially if the appeal has potential merit, settle the case for less than the trial verdict.  

You can threaten bankruptcy.  You can claim that the plaintiff won't find enough money to satisfy the judgment in full through ordinary collections, but here's a cashier's check for less.

All time-honored ways of settling a civil case.  A judgment must be enforced.  That doesn't mean the cops go to their house and say "cough up" or go to debtor's prison.  There is almost always some uncertainty in whether you will collect the full amount of the judgment.  So if a defendant offers good funds payable today, that has a lot of appeal as long as it's not too big a discount.

ETA:  Now I see it.  Oh hell yeah they're trying to settle.  The monetary amount hasn't been fixed or ascertained, so that's negotiable.  Some kind of something short of a forced sale or transfer to new owners is probably what they are trying to get.  As I have mentioned, I am not 100% convinced that the court of appeals will uphold the cancellation of business licenses, so even that is a bit up in the air.  Something like a transfer of the properties to something not 100% Trump controlled or something.  Or five years to GTFO.  Who knows.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Oh good. Tell us all about the historical role of government bureaucracy in spreading the feels of liberty, humanity, and decency throughout the world. Pick a century as a starting point and trace from there. Or a decade whatever. Some have shorter attention spans than others. 

"She saved our farm, 400 something acres, almost 500 acres," said Roger Spooner. "She saved our farm."

Again, newspapers and history give less attention to things that aren't fucked up, and the only reason this (admitted) anecdote is Google-able is because of false allegations shit was fucked up. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/usdas-shirley-sherrod-i-helped-white-farmer/

• Hook 'Em 1

in civil matters you can always settle.  before suit, during suit, after being found liable, exhausted appeals, judgment full, final, and collectible, etc.  the question is what can you promise in settlement and what will the other side accept.  you may settle after judgment (as a judgment holder) because finding and collecting upon assets may be difficult or costly, for example.
Your last sentence is really the rub, especially with fat boy, but really any wealthy honky, and it drives me fucking nuts. Commit crimes, maybe face justice in 10 years but you're dead so it slides.

3 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
4 hours ago, elfenix said:

Your last sentence is really the rub, especially with fat boy, but really any wealthy honky, and it drives me fucking nuts. Commit crimes, maybe face justice in 10 years but you're dead so it slides.

Isn't he stuff (at least under the corporate umbrella) under the supervision of a conservator, and has been for some time now?  

This basic but noble, essential decency is the matter and substance and prime directive of the “deep state”, for all of its bumbling. Decency is precisely the thing that Donald Trump and his partners in diminishment seek to eliminate from government and more broadly, from the culture, and every edgelord cynic like [mention=179]Anastasis[/mention] or dumbass conspiracy loon or deluded partisan is their witting or unwitting accomplice in that nasty and dehumanizing work, and it saddens and angers us. But as long as decency matters, the Deep State lives. 
Great post. Sadly 40% of the country is brainwashed to fucking hate these kind folks regardless of the kind efforts they make. Angry asssholes are defied; the sweet hard working-class librarian is terrorized. I'm not sure how that is rewired.

Also as an aside, the formally noble working class are all on Tik Tok like zombies getting a dopamine hit in exchange for lost competency and productivity. I see it every day, it sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Born to Run said:
9 minutes ago, BamaATL said:
Isn't he stuff (at least under the corporate umbrella) under the supervision of a conservator, and has been for some time now?  

Wut?

The Trump Company has been operating under the supervision of a conservator (court appointed, perhaps the wrong word) for about a year now.  So any settlement that is reached I would presume will also be conducted under the same supervision.  Basically, if a settlement is reached, I don't think he can easily dodge paying it out.  

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

On behalf of those folks who believe in public service, and who live honorable, productive lives, fuck you, you hateful micropeen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

you are going to have to condense that to get it to fit on the side of the cop car. 

You know, maybe the most damning part of your haughty condemnation is that it shits all over the regular folks you claim to champion.
Here’s a simple question: which public employees save the most lives every year?

It’s not cops. Or firefighters. Or soldiers.

It’s the people who keep our water and sewer plants running. Safe, clean drinking water saves hundreds of thousands of lives a year right here in the US. So does basic sanitation. We have that thanks to a shitload of working class folks who keep those systems running. And engineers and managers who run the operation. And elected officials who allocate taxes and public resources to massive operations and capital projects. Not because those are cool, and get them on TV, or get them rich. But because providing drinking water and sanitary sewers is part of the job, and is a good thing to do. Really, we only notice them when they fail…which is very, very rarely.
You’re so intent on straddling your high horse and cantering about like an imperious dandy that you completely miss the boring reality of hard-working decent folks doing their thing (those people are called “the government,” by the way). Which surprises absolutely nobody around here.
  • Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You know, maybe the most damning part of your haughty condemnation is that it shits all over the regular folks you claim to champion.
Here’s a simple question: which public employees save the most lives every year?

It’s the people who keep our water and sewer plants running. Safe, clean drinking water saves hundreds of thousands of lives a year right here in the US. So does basic sanitation. We have that thanks to a shitload of working class folks who keep those systems running. And engineers and managers who run the operation. And elected officials who allocate taxes and public resources to massive operations and capital projects. Not because those are cool, and get them on TV, or get them rich. But because providing drinking water and sanitary sewers is part of the job, and is a good thing to do. Really, we only notice them when they fail…which is very, very rarely.
You’re so intent on straddling your high horse and cantering about like an imperious dandy that you completely miss the boring reality of hard-working decent folks doing their thing (those people are called “the government,” by the way). Which surprises absolutely nobody around here.

You two start an exchange about the "Deep State", bozo tags me in, I haven't used that term on this board other than quoting the people like you that evoke it, and then you start in with sewage management. "The largest political forum in the great state of Texas." 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

which public employees save the most lives every year?

And which of these in concept do we invest the most resources into at the federal and state level? By an order of magnitude?

The projection by posters here is crazy. 

You two start an exchange about the "Deep State", bozo tags me in, I haven't used that term on this board other than quoting the people like you that evoke it, and then you start in with sewage management. "The largest political forum in the great state of Texas." 

You fucking self-absorbed self-righteous moron, you really don’t fucking get it do you? Jesus. This is fantastic. You really ARE that dense and stupid.

YES, you stupid fuck…sewage management IS politics. So is water. And sanitation. And roads. Etc. They’re the blocking and tackling of government, the thing that “politics” is all about. “The government” is US. People, folks, regular schlubs. They keep shit going while autofellating jackasses like you issue lofty - and meaningless - judgment. The juxtaposition couldn’t be more perfect, and your blindness to it is the icing on the cake.
  • Hook 'Em 5

And which of these in concept do we invest the most resources into at the federal and state level? By an order of magnitude?
The projection by posters here is crazy. 

State and federal level is an incomplete question - they have different charges. For example, the military budget of most states is…0. Because that’s not their charge. So the federal component of that is, gee, larger.
Your TOTAL tax dollars and fees paid? Yeah, the biggest slices go to blocking and tackling type stuff. Boring. Essential. And ignored by most. And on the Federal side, of TOTAL spending…the bulk of total spending is social security, Medicare, Medicaid, and other income support. Things that tens of millions of people depend upon for the basics. And yes, a good chunk to defense, an actual constitutional charge.
The vast majority of your government is decent people doing decent things. So fuck off.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

State and federal level is an incomplete question - they have different charges.

Only in this forum could you find a couple posters convinced that they are holding the line against the “Deep State” anarchists of their own imagination by trying to convince people that they only want to talk about social services. 

• Fuck You 1