Offseason thread- what is your favorite college football blowout?

qwertyu1234

I know it's Bama,  but I was so glad they beat Mia in the 1993 Sugar Bowl,  plus Gene Stallings was the Bama coach.  

It wasn't even close,  Bama dominated the game against the #1 Hurricanes.  

George Teague ripping the ball out of the Mia receivers hands was  greatness.

Fuck Mia. 

Edited by Laga4

Throwing out a different one, one of my favorites was watching Oregon State curb stop Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl 41-9.   Mostly because we were sitting smack dab in the middle of the Irish section and as they left they handed us their snuck in booze.  I had to buy a beavers hat, because beavers.  teehee   Also, ran into Cub superfan Ronnie WooWoo after chasing some skirts into a daiquiri bar that night.  Or, maybe it was just some dude.   My memory of that evening is suspect.   

That game was glorious, in part because Oregon State is my dad's alma mater (he pitched there from 1962-66), and their football team had been miserable for so long.  But also, fuck Notre Dame.  Dennis Erickson had accumulated some pretty good talent--including future NFL receivers Chad Johnson and TJ Houschwhatever. 

Notre Dame would later fall to the Beavers again in the 2004 Insight Bowl, 38-21.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 8:15 AM, The Earl of Texas said:

My favorite non-Texas blowout was when Colorado walked all over Nebraska in 2001. Buffs backfield was fucking amazing, Chris Brown went for 200 and Bobby Purify went for 150. Nebraska was #1... they got fucking murdered 62-36 and the score doesn’t tell how bad it really was. Like a Mike Tyson fight, they rung the bell and Colorado started throwing knockout punches. 

Yep. The first Buffs game I ever watched, and the Buffs became the first team I ever followed (eventually did my master's there, met my wife there, and actually follow the Buffs more closely than either set of Bears I'm affiliated with).

Amazing game. Nebraska cam in ranked #1 and got completely bitch-slapped right from the start. As you said, the score isn't remotely indicative of how bad it was. Crowd was absolutely losing their shit. 

CKZZwgTWgAASDuS.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LTbear said:

Yep. The first Buffs game I ever watched, and the Buffs became the first team I ever followed (eventually did my master's there, met my wife there, and actually follow the Buffs more closely than either set of Bears I'm affiliated with).

Amazing game. Nebraska cam in ranked #1 and got completely bitch-slapped right from the start. As you said, the score isn't remotely indicative of how bad it was. Crowd was absolutely losing their shit. 

CKZZwgTWgAASDuS.png

The Buffs' beatdown of the "Huskers was so bad: it laid the foundation for Dr Osborne to look at exiting the conference, all the other talk is just window dressing..! 😋

70-3.

It was every bit as bad as ou's 77-0 thrashing of aggy.  And it was in a conference championship game.

Seven more touchdowns would have made it 119-3.  And Colorado couldn't have done anything about it.  

There's no other example of a team being so completely outclassed in such a big game.

This was a good 'un. I remember there was a stiff wind blowing right through the stadium...aggy went up two scores behind Kevin Murray, and then when we had the wind at our back, we brought in Rick McIvor who would just hunk it deep and have our receivers run under bomb after bomb. The defense stepped up and we scored the last 45 points of the game. And it was hard times ahead in that aggy series....

• Like 3

Just watched that again for the first time in 35 years and it's amazing how I kinda misremember shit about it. The wind was the dominant factor but it wasn't just McIvor hunking bombs. It was also how inept the aggy punt game was, and Bill Boy Bryant tossed one of the long TD passes on a reverse to Brent Duhon, who was a straight baller. He was a teammate of Todd Dodge back in Port Arthur, and I think Duhon might have been the reason Dodge was so successful in HS -- Duhon could get open and caught everything thrown his way and was also a great downfield blocker. (With Duhon and Bill Boy, our receiving corps was full of route-runners and coaches on the field. Kelvin Epps was our burner, post-Herkie Walls and pre-Tony Jones.)

McIvor's only true bomb was the coup de grace late in the third quarter. 

19 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

49-9 vs aggy in 2008. The one where Stephen McGee talked the whole game and the DL made him their bitch. Especially Brian orakpo.

I was going to say 2008 Missouri. That was a lot of fun. Final margin was "just" 25, but that's because we were on cruise control the entire 2nd half. Goddamn our 2008 team was good.

Edited by tokamak

On 6/26/2018 at 8:18 PM, TexArcher said:

70-3.

It was every bit as bad as ou's 77-0 thrashing of aggy.  And it was in a conference championship game.

Seven more touchdowns would have made it 119-3.  And Colorado couldn't have done anything about it.  

There's no other example of a team being so completely outclassed in such a big game.

That Wisky/tOSU championship game with cardale at QB is not too far off considering Wisky was actually favored by 4.5 and it ended up being 59-0. Not quite the outright domination, but in terms of surprise factor, it's damn welll up there. 

On 6/26/2018 at 8:18 PM, TexArcher said:

70-3.

If I remember correctly it was 70-3 halfway through the third quarter. Which is amazing. 

OU in ‘05 was great, so were several of the A&M games in the aughts, but ‘08 Mizzou was personally very satisfying. Their fans were so cocky on 6th Street the night before, chanting ‘n shit, and then we mudholed them in a very roccous DKR-Memorial. Just an awesome display that night. 

On 6/26/2018 at 8:43 AM, TreatyOak said:

It did happen, not because I was so badass, but because he realized how obnoxious he was acting. 

*Derail warning*

Don't know why, but this post reminded me of an incident while attending a Houston Gamblers game back in the day.  Several guys from our neighborhood got tickets together and of course were drunker thank skunks before the game even started.  One of group was a former Cincinnati Bengals d.e, who could be the most obnoxious cuss you ever met.  Sometime in the 3rd quarter we started talking crap with a group 3 or 4 rows behind us.  Bengal boy said something to the effect of well "fuck your mother too",  which got the reply of "yeah? come up here and say that.  Well Bengal boy, all 6'5" and 260lbs of him headed up.  It suddenly got quiet as I noticed the guy who challenged him had stood up....I figured the challenger was standing on the next row of seats up was why he looked so tall.  Nope, they were standing on the same level, and badass bengal boy shook hands and made a hasty retreat.

Turns out the guy behind us, while no one famous, was 7'4" and nearly 400lbs, and little if any body fat.  Thank God they were a good natured bunch of drunks.
Bengal boy said later that that was the first time he ever thought he was going to die.

7 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

*Derail warning*

Don't know why, but this post reminded me of an incident while attending a Houston Gamblers game back in the day.  Several guys from our neighborhood got tickets together and of course were drunker thank skunks before the game even started.  One of group was a former Cincinnati Bengals d.e, who could be the most obnoxious cuss you ever met.  Sometime in the 3rd quarter we started talking crap with a group 3 or 4 rows behind us.  Bengal boy said something to the effect of well "fuck your mother too",  which got the reply of "yeah? come up here and say that.  Well Bengal boy, all 6'5" and 260lbs of him headed up.  It suddenly got quiet as I noticed the guy who challenged him had stood up....I figured the challenger was standing on the next row of seats up was why he looked so tall.  Nope, they were standing on the same level, and badass bengal boy shook hands and made a hasty retreat.

Turns out the guy behind us, while no one famous, was 7'4" and nearly 400lbs, and little if any body fat.  Thank God they were a good natured bunch of drunks.
Bengal boy said later that that was the first time he ever thought he was going to die.

Funny story. 

On 6/25/2018 at 12:23 AM, Vic Mackey said:

This could have easily been 110-0 if OU wanted to keep playing. 

I loved that play in the 4th quarter when an aggy D-lineman "sacked" a RB that was clearly trying not to score and instead was mercifully just trying to run out the clock.

The aggy started stomping around celebrating his outstanding play. 😂

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 9:20 PM, Big Frog II said:

TCU 42- Ole Miss 3.  Those smug SEC fans walked into the Georgia Dome thinking all they had to do was show up, and that's apparently all they did.  When it became 42-0 with 13 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, all the Rebels or Black Bears, or whatever they call themselves now went home.

Was there, the ole miss fans were not too pleased with my SEC chant after TCU went up 14-0 in short order, fuck em

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

An underrated blow out I loved was the 95 tech game. Shon Mitchell's game was insane.  My roommate was from Abernathy and was talking shit with his stupid black tortillas before (he was at least smart enough not to go to Lubbock for school) . 48-7 later and I was very satisfied.