2023 Spring Game Thread of Hype and Doom

immamac

Hot damn you crazy fuckers are harder on Ewers than Japanese parents on their child piano prodigy. 

Don't know how anyone can say he looked bad. Maalik looked good but how many of the throws were against guys in the 2 deep in September? I think he did a lot to take a step forward to claiming the backup role this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, DixonHur said:

I'll admit I was expecting more out of Ewers based on the practice reports, but he was fine.  

But the energy was just different when Maalik was out there.  I hope he gets a legit shot at the #1 spot and Sark doesn't just anoint Ewers the starter because his NIL is bigger.

Ewers = Chance Mock

Murphy = VY

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So you morons watched Ewers hit guys down the field, pick apart the defense, throw strikes to Whittington and Mitchel and go15-20 for 190 yards and three Td’s scored in 5 drives in the first half and your takeaway is he’s a problem for us?  

Y’all are clowns. Murphy looked good. It was awesome he beat the 4th string walk on down the field in single coverage twice in a row and I liked it, along with his obviously big arm, but Ewers is going to be first team all conference, in the top 10 in Heisman voting and go in the first round of the draft. It’s fine. He’s fine. We are fine. 

the expectation for ewers is that he would regain the form he showed against bammer and thief

during the telecast the announcers said sark said ewers was good in 10 of 12 spring practices

if this is representative of "good" we have a qb controversy

today was the same ewers we saw against okie lite and istate and that is not the "good" ewers

bad mechanics, flat balls with no touch or wobbly floaters that get away from him

#teammurphy here

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

For all his talent, and I’ve said this since he was at Ohio State, I’m not convinced QE has the mental toughness to be an elite QB. I hope he proves that toughness this season.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I might even agree, But what is the basis for this?

I didn't like the fact that he a) missed his senior year b) flaked on Texas and as a result of a) and b) pissed away a year at OSU that probably would have been better spent in high school.  Those don't seem to me to be the actions of someone who really has their head in the game.

Early last season, he seemed to have the ability to shake off bad plays.  Later in the season, not so much and he also seemed to have a really flat affect that wasn't exactly inspiring anyone.  Cool as a cucumber or a stone boy?

For all that, I'm not sure I'd say toughness, so much as makeup.

His stats weren’t bad but Ewers just hasn’t shown the “it” “gamer” whatever you want to call it factor yet but hopefully he starts to this season.  He plays like he did a few times last year hopefully Sark isn’t afraid to try something else for a bit atleast.  

5 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

His stats weren’t bad but Ewers just hasn’t shown the “it” “gamer” whatever you want to call it factor yet but hopefully he starts to this season.  He plays like he did a few times last year hopefully Sark isn’t afraid to try something else for a bit atleast.  

Bullshit. He absolutely has shown the it factor, brief flashes but still. He’s also shown pure dog shit. I have no idea what we see this year but that spring game was an overall positive compared to mid last season. 

• Hook 'Em 8

#1 Defensive line dominated our interior OL giving our QBs problems.  The offense was sluggish at times and had too many 3rd and long situations.  Quinn not throwing to backs and checkdowns nearly enough is still a concern -- Quinn's got to learn how to process faster and be willing to dump the ball a lot more.

Spring Game Reactions | Who Stood Out? | Injury Notes | Arch Manning | Quinn Ewers | Texas Football

43 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

#1 Defensive line dominated our interior OL giving our QBs problems. 

This is the biggest red flag. Our Center sucks, but no one wants to admit it. We still don't know if anyone will be average or above at Guard. On passing downs, there will be constant pressure from up the gut, meaning Ewers will often need to quickly check down to backs. I've yet to see evidence he can do this consistently and do it well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Our passing game will look better this year simply because we have much better WRs (assuming they stay healthy) even if Ewers doesn't improve. That will be worth winning at least a game or two more.

Need AD Mitchell to stay healthy.  He will be the key to bailing out Ewers.

• Like 1

I'm not saying you're wrong, I might even agree, But what is the basis for this?
I didn't like the fact that he a) missed his senior year b) flaked on Texas and as a result of a) and b) pissed away a year at OSU that probably would have been better spent in high school.  Those don't seem to me to be the actions of someone who really has their head in the game.
Early last season, he seemed to have the ability to shake off bad plays.  Later in the season, not so much and he also seemed to have a really flat affect that wasn't exactly inspiring anyone.  Cool as a cucumber or a stone boy?
For all that, I'm not sure I'd say toughness, so much as makeup.

He didn’t flake on Texas. He disliked Tom Herman enough to seek an alternative.
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

The O'line was the most disappointing part of the practice game for me.  

Didn't see many easy yards for the Rb's.  

So- we were missing 3 of the 6 guys we expect on the 2 deep in the interior and our tackles were awesome. Additionally, absent Bama the guys they were going against were far and away better than any they will play this year. 
finally, we were missing our top 2 backs. 
Other than that though lots of stuff to worry about there. Probably doomed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So- we were missing 3 of the 6 guys we expect on the 2 deep in the interior and our tackles were awesome. Additionally, absent Bama the guys they were going against were far and away better than any they will play this year. 
finally, we were missing our top 2 backs. 
Other than that though lots of stuff to worry about there. Probably doomed. 

Disappointed doesn’t mean doomed to me,  maybe it does for you. 

My concern w Ewers is he still made  ill advised throws that easily could have been turnovers. Either he has trouble reading defenses or is too in love w his arm. He can also make some amazing throws. Turnovers can kill though

Edited by Sawbonz

18 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

It sucks that Malik had been so hurt. Damn! When you see someone that has “IT” not exaggerating or pontificating at all. He’s a badass. Whatever happens from here on (barring injury) he can control but most of us never have been able to see him play. Damn. 

ditto

never seen him

had no idea

don't read vast majority of the 995 stuff and QE and AM have dominated the conversation

gobsmacked and desperate to see him in action with a horn on his helmet

SCARED TO DEATH FULL MACKSTYLE aggy are going to portalwhip him

would not be surprised if the first bag is already on the way down TX-21 at this very moment

it's not guaranteed but he *could be* a transformational player for any program

*could be*

but do we really want to fuck around and find out?

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

My concern w Ewers is he still made  ill advised throws that easily could have been turnovers. Either he has trouble reading defenses or is too in love w his arm. He can also make some amazing throws. Turnovers can kill though

sark said he had "10 of 12 good practices"

so, where is the bammer/0u form?

why did we see okielite/istate ewers yesterday?

we're still seeing the wrong ewers

i want 49-0 ewers

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It started based off reports from Ohio State, before there were ever rumors of transfer, regarding his ability to adapt. I’ve heard all the excuses and obviously don’t follow every 5 star’s path, but it seems out of the norm for QBs who go on to be great. I believe signs were visible several times last season. Also, to me, he seemed a bit rattled yesterday following Murphy’s big plays and excitement they generated. Again, it just makes me question his ability to deal with adversity. I’m not convinced and hope he erases those thoughts from my mind, but like Sark’s coaching abilities, proof will be in the results.

Plays were not called to scheme against our defense. Our interior O-line had some absences and needs improvement. Check downs happen less often in Spring games because for a qb they aren’t very exciting. When all our receivers are healthy and playing together, when Baxter improves his strength, when our interior offensive line gets it together and when Sark game plans against the opposing defense, our offense and QE will look much better.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Card was better statistically than Quinn last year and his pocket presence was much improved over his freshman year.  The point is if Sark didn't give Card a chance in a game when Quinn went 19-49, he's not going to play Maalik unless Quinn is injured.

if he tries that this year, cdc's cell will spontaneously combust

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the expectation for ewers is that he would regain the form he showed against bammer and thief

during the telecast the announcers said sark said ewers was good in 10 of 12 spring practices

if this is representative of "good" we have a qb controversy

today was the same ewers we saw against okie lite and istate and that is not the "good" ewers

bad mechanics, flat balls with no touch or wobbly floaters that get away from him

#teammurphy here

Christ almighty what a moronic post. 

28 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I knew it was a mistake to open this thread. Carry on.

C'mon now, you knew exactly what this was going to be.

People's expectations for Ewers were sky-high so when he came out looking like an only moderately improved version of himself from '22 they were disappointed. People had no expectations for Maalik (some people on this board are still referring to him as a dual threat) so when he looked good against the scrub DBs they got excited. And to be clear - he is exciting. I'm pumped that he looked as good as he did, but that's how he's supposed to look. All the o-line dooming is 100% expected because it's a zero-sum game against a clearly better d-line and Majors is still our center. I get that he's undersized for the position but if there were anyone better they'd be playing right now. You don't have to be a "trust the corches" type to see that Flood understands how to put a line together and isn't just playing Majors because he's senior. Yeah, the usual morons are saying the usual stupid shit, but at least mailbox hasn't weighed in yet. 

The only thing that actually surprises me is the lack of Manning dooming. He looked like a freshman instead of the second coming of Trevor Lawrence, which I thought would make more heads explode. 

3 hours ago, Josef Pwag said:

This is the biggest red flag. Our Center sucks, but no one wants to admit it. We still don't know if anyone will be average or above at Guard. On passing downs, there will be constant pressure from up the gut, meaning Ewers will often need to quickly check down to backs. I've yet to see evidence he can do this consistently and do it well.  

Lol wut. Everyone admits Majors isn’t good. I’m not sure ive seen anyone who’s said otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Laga4 said:

The O'line was the most disappointing part of the practice game for me.  

Didn't see many easy yards for the Rb's.  

I’m not saying we’ll be great at interior OL this year, but Campbell and Huston have a good shot at being our starting guards this year and both were out for the spring game. So it’s not surprising our second string guards didn’t look good up against Sweat and Murphy, especially when our offense is vanilla. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Park Gothic said:

The only thing that actually surprises me is the lack of Manning dooming. He looked like a freshman instead of the second coming of Trevor Lawrence, which I thought would make more heads explode. 

The only people who thought he’d be great out of the gate are the mouth breathers on ESPN and other national sites who were trying to get clicks off claiming Ewers would transfer when Arch committed. 

It was obvious to anyone who watched the level of competition he played against in HS that he’d need time and his own family wants him to redshirt. On top of that he was playing behind a dogshit 2nd/3rd string OL so it’s not like he had a chance to look good regardless. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So it’s not surprising our second string guards didn’t look good up against Sweat and Murphy, especially when our offense is vanilla

So many people seem to be glossing over this. I'm sure people know that we're running vanilla, but they still seem to leave it out of their evaluations. We aren't showing anything new schematically and we aren't fully utilizing our best players. Plenty of guys who have their spots locked were making business decisions (side note - I was impressed with Worthy's effort, he got pretty chippy and I loved it). The defense also has the significant advantage of knowing these players and the playbook that other defenses won't have. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The only people who thought he’d be great out of the gate are the mouth breathers on ESPN and other national sites who were trying to get clicks off claiming Ewers would transfer when Arch committed. 
It was obvious to anyone who watched the level of competition he played against in HS that he’d need time and his own family wants him to redshirt. On top of that he was playing behind a dogshit 2nd/3rd string OL so it’s not like he had a chance to look good regardless. 

I generally agree, but the fact that reasonable people weren't expecting Arch to be great does not preclude this board freaking out about nothing. Surly could be getting a blowjob from Eva Green and still complain that her execution and effort weren't meeting expectations. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Hey, do you guys remember the 2022 spring game?  Back when Quinn Ewers had "IT" and was definitely going to win the Heisman as a redshirt freshman?

Everyone needs to calm down about Murphy, he threw some nice passes and cooked a walk-on.  It's one glorified scrimmage.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1