2024 Transfer Thread - Watching victory88 & Friends Ignorantly Bawl All Over Themselves

10 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

How many of those can we blame on Brandon Harris?

2 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

8c860788-d518-46ff-8a94-19e264a6c263_tex

Sark is doing Spring exit interviews for every player on the team. The players that get told "you suck and will likely never see the field at Texas" are likely going to get the hint and jump in the portal.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Napoleon said:

From the sudden silence regarding two DTs from Michigan’s national championship team entering the portal, my guess is that…

3 1/2 months was enough time for wealthy Wolverines to finish sucking each other off and come to the realization that they needed to pony up or their DL studs could be gone in late May, only to return for a “One Night Only Encore Performance” in early September.

At least one of those guys was a “Texas will definitely be interested, let’s see if they enter the portal.” about 3-5 times per week from late January up until last Friday. 

Now nothing. 

I don't think the Michigan guys were ever going to portal. 

1) they already won a NC

2) they only have 1 season left to play before going to the draft

3) Michigan will pay the NIL to keep them to help Moore out in his 1st year 

4) They've already gotten the exposure playing at the highest level so no need to prove themselves elsewhere like a Trey Moore type of player. 

Plus now they're legends in Ann Arbor for bringing the title. Why leave that?

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Sark is doing Spring exit interviews for every player on the team. The players that get told "you suck and will likely never see the field at Texas" are likely going to get the hint and jump in the portal.

Don’t bring logic to a good old fashioned surly meltdown. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

It’s that time of year 

What Would You Say You Do Here Office Space GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I cannot imagine that is the message Austin Jordan will get. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Hope he’s looking to go to a better t&f program and forget about football. But it may be too late for him to develop in the shot. 

I’m pretty sure I saw somewhere this week that A&M is ranked #1 in men’s t&f…

15 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

interesting, I thought he wasn't interested in Football anymore and wanted to focus on TnF?

He better check with his momma.  Don’t want her to go all Karen with his choices. 

• Like 1

The optics of this seem..... not good. Rather than give Foster and Bobby Taylor the dignity of an exit interview with coaches and the option of first entering the transfer portal, the coaching staff "cut" these dudes. It's not a good look. VERY weird strategy here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

The optics of this seem..... not good. Rather than give Foster and Bobby Taylor the dignity of an exit interview with coaches and the option of first entering the transfer portal, the coaching staff "cut" these dudes. It's not a good look. VERY weird strategy here. 

You must have not heard of the Junction boys

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I’ve been thinking about how he handled the portal too. He brought in all that bread clearly thinking he’s was going to use the spring as an open tryout and they’ve had several guys cut that just transferred over in the winter. 

I guess it’s possible that he was open with those guys about exactly what the opportunity was, and even if he wasn’t maybe it doesn’t matter in the portal era. It does seem kind of shitty to recruit multiple players to transfer to your program, use them as tackling dummies for one spring, and then tell them to find a new school 3 months later. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I’ve been thinking about how he handled the portal too. He brought in all that bread clearly thinking he’s was going to use the spring as an open tryout and they’ve had several guys cut that just transferred over in the winter. 

I guess it’s possible that he was open with those guys about exactly what the opportunity was, and even if he wasn’t maybe it doesn’t matter in the portal era. It does seem kind of shitty to recruit multiple players to transfer to your program, use them as tackling dummies for one spring, and then tell them to find a new school 3 months later. 

If true, he is going to recruit about as well as Tom Herman did at the end of his run at Texas.  Players recruit players.

• Hook 'Em 4

Carter Karels with the paradoxical position:

Carter Karels

"The Bryce Foster conversation has always been a little uncomfortable. He had so much promise early, but he did not show enough commitment to football and fell off a cliff as a player. I don't see him being good anywhere else, unless he goes the Group of Five route/completely changes his mindset. Anyway, think we need to move on and give him a little grace. Sometimes, things just don't work out."

Strong work. I don't know if Karels is actually an aggie, but he disguises well as one if he isn't.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure if weird is the right word, but it felt like Jordan had a weird career path here.

I remember him playing corner against Bama in game 2 as a freshman in 2022 once Jamison went down and he seemed like someone the coaches trusted early. Then he was moved to nickel and rarely heard from again outside of special teams. I thnk it's been mentioned before that Gary Patterson kept telling the staff to move him to safety. 

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Carter Karels with the paradoxical position:

Carter Karels

"The Bryce Foster conversation has always been a little uncomfortable. He had so much promise early, but he did not show enough commitment to football and fell off a cliff as a player. I don't see him being good anywhere else, unless he goes the Group of Five route/completely changes his mindset. Anyway, think we need to move on and give him a little grace. Sometimes, things just don't work out."

Strong work. I don't know if Karels is actually an aggie, but he disguises well as one if he isn't.

Oh he is: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carter-karels-7a0536135/

Finished cum laude with a 3.56 GPA. One of five journalism students in A&M's relaunched journalism program (ended with 11 students). Involved in a few social organizations.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That one still wouldn't surprise me. I expect between 4-6 announcements within the next 24 hours and likely sooner.

Everyone on the Texas end, besides I guess a few of us observers, was more confident about Jordan than they should have been. Make of that what you will regarding the "knowing your room" aspect of being a coach for Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 6

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Everyone on the Texas end, besides I guess a few of us observers, was more confident about Jordan than they should have been. Make of that what you will regarding the "knowing your room" aspect of being a coach for Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon.

Can't read coverage. Can't read the room.

Perhaps we have a reading issue in the DB room.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

An insight as to why Joseph and/or Gideon were not replaced after the season?  

Seems Sark would have to know they are the weak links on the coaching staff.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Bai Jobe, it's true!!!

That one was a weird recruitment, iirc. From Norman, but wasn't looking at any of the regional powers. 

15 minutes ago, Getafix said:

We're going full blown youth movement at DB it seems...

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not sure if weird is the right word, but it felt like Jordan had a weird career path here.

I remember him playing corner against Bama in game 2 as a freshman in 2022 once Jamison went down and he seemed like someone the coaches trusted early. Then he was moved to nickel and rarely heard from again outside of special teams. I thnk it's been mentioned before that Gary Patterson kept telling the staff to move him to safety. 

Gary must have had some influence on that ‘22 DB room. He loved Jordan, Brooks, and Guilbeau. 

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He's not a corner, not really a nickel/star. Maybe a safety if he has the eyes for it. Watching him get torched by Iowa State in 2022 pretty much turned me off on him as a contributor here.

Just lacks the foot speed and hips to stick in coverage

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Can't read coverage. Can't read the room.

Perhaps we have a reading issue in the DB room.

8b08291b-380b-4c1d-afdc-aff8aec748c5_tex

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

First playoff appearance will do it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

No clue. I wouldn't hear much on stuff like that until it was on the very brink of happening. I don't believe either guy's job was in any kind of jeopardy this cycle.

5 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Gary must have had some influence on that ‘22 DB room. He loved Jordan, Brooks, and Guilbeau. 

I think Gerry has told the story several times that Gary recruited Brooks as a safety out of HS and was one of the only people to tell Brooks and his dad that is where he saw him long-term. 

He obviously had Guilbeau committed at one point too at TCU

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No clue. I wouldn't hear much on stuff like that until it was on the very brink of happening. I don't believe either guy's job was in any kind of jeopardy this cycle.

Thanks.  

It's the biggest mystery to me, because anyone with eyes can see that we have bad technique and communication on the back end.  And last season showed that we can't continue to blame it on the front 7 not getting pressure on the QB.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Watching victory88 & Friends Ignorantly Bawl All Over Themselves