2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

8 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

I like it, think we’d rather have a veteran back there though to pair up with Williams. 

AFter playing 30+ snaps a game all season, plus bowl practices and spring practice, I'm willing to call Derek Williams a veteran. He's about to be joined by other younger players, most likely, and unless the perfect safety hits the market, like say Bryce Anderson, I'm not sure I bite. Catalon is coming back, I believe. Warren Roberson has looked fucking great in practice. Nahlin says Jelani McDonald might be getting the safety or star treatment. Hampton, Rubell, and maybe Filisame are coming in looking to play. I think we still have Taffe. And the guys we're losing for depth will be addition by subtraction in the form of Crawford, Jerrin Thompson (fuck, doesn't he have a Covid year?), I'm assuming BJ Allen is gone, I'm assuming that Larry Turner-Gooden is gone. 

With the talent coming in, I'm just not sure we go after a safety unless they're elite already.  Safety isn't our biggest portal need, imo. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

AFter playing 30+ snaps a game all season, plus bowl practices and spring practice, I'm willing to call Derek Williams a veteran. He's about to be joined by other younger players, most likely, and unless the perfect safety hits the market, like say Bryce Anderson, I'm not sure I bite. Catalon is coming back, I believe. Warren Roberson has looked fucking great in practice. Nahlin says Jelani McDonald might be getting the safety or star treatment. Hampton, Rubell, and maybe Filisame are coming in looking to play. I think we still have Taffe. And the guys we're losing for depth will be addition by subtraction in the form of Crawford, Jerrin Thompson (fuck, doesn't he have a Covid year?), I'm assuming BJ Allen is gone, I'm assuming that Larry Turner-Gooden is gone. 

With the talent coming in, I'm just not sure we go after a safety unless they're elite already.  Safety isn't our biggest portal need, imo. 

Man, we need to do some major spring cleaning at safety. The roster in general is pretty lean and healthy, but um not there. Also someone mentioned Jordan moving to safety in the spring but don't know if that's a real thing.

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Man, we need to do some major spring cleaning at safety. The roster in general is pretty lean and healthy, but um not there. Also someone mentioned Jordan moving to safety in the spring but don't know if that's a real thing.

This.  There’s the potential for addition by subtraction with Crawford graduating, and we need to clean out some dregs.  BJ Allen couldn’t get snaps against Crawford and Taaffe, and has already been recruited over with Derek Williams.  Portal time for him.  And honestly, I hope Catalon moves on.  If his body can’t hold up for more than 10-20 snaps per game, his reps should go toward developing a successor.  

Edited by Fumbles
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

i mean the only guys on scholarship that Sydney didn't mention are Hyphen and BJ Allen who folks thought was going to portal out before now. . He mentioned 3 incoming recruits + freshman (Robinson + Williams), a senior (Catalon) and guys leaving (Crawford and Thompson) as well as Taffee.

the STAR position is going to be interesting next year to see what they do. Jordan, Guilbeau, and McDonald can't all see the field there.

the safeties on scholarship right now are Thompson, Catalon, Crawford + Taffee + Allen, Hypen + Williams and Roberson + incoming recruits that are some combo of JJE, Hampton and Filisame potentially.

so 2 of 11? seems pretty lean there to me.

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean the only guys on scholarship that Sydney didn't mention are Hyphen and BJ Allen who folks thought was going to portal out before now. . He mentioned 3 incoming recruits + freshman (Robinson + Williams), a senior (Catalon) and guys leaving (Crawford and Thompson) as well as Taffee.

the STAR position is going to be interesting next year to see what they do. Jordan, Guilbeau, and McDonald can't all see the field there.

the safeties on scholarship right now are Thompson, Catalon, Crawford + Taffee + Allen, Hypen + Williams and Roberson + incoming recruits that are some combo of JJE, Hampton and Filisame potentially.

I quickly counted four safeties that should be encouraged to move on, which is roughly half of the current room. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I quickly counted four safeties that should be encouraged to move on, which is roughly half of the current room. 

Was Taaffe one of them because to get that defense elite he needs to not play anymore or only in garbage time.  I know he has gotten some INT’s but man his missed tackles and bad angles hurt more than help.  Someone better paired with Williams would help a lot on the back end of that defense.  

34 minutes ago, NoName said:

Sir, I mentioned Hyphen. AND Allen as likely (my opinion) transfers. You've got Taffe, Catalon, Williams, Roberson, 3 incoming Freshmam (including Filsame) that are studs, of which I think 1 will be able to win snaps. You've also McDonald and Jordan, two guys who could probably cross train between Star and Safety. You say 11 bodies, and I see 9 bodies that can play safety, with a couple at star. That doesn't seem like all that big of a difference to me, espescially if we cut out the fucking heavy rotation bullshit and play more of our best players. So yeah, you add a Bryce Anderson level guy if he's there, and that's 10 bodies versus 11 to play the two safety spots. 

How is that lean?

Also, I'm guessing one of Hyphen or Allen (Hyphen) will stick through spring practice and see if they can make a dent. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I wouldn't count on the bolded.

37 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

On a video either this morning or last night the IT guys mentioned that Jelani McDonald will most likely work at safety and Gideon "won" the fight for his position.

McDonald is already showing flashes of elite shit-talking. Hoping it works out for that dude. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Nope. I think he's one of our two best safeties right now, which is in and of itself an issue. 

Yes, yes that is an issue and why he needs to be upgraded over via the portal most likely.  Sadly, you are correct in he is probably one of the two best on the roster which kind of baffles me.

Just now, Da Fino said:

McDonald is already showing flashes of elite shit-talking. Hoping it works out for that dude. 

Considering all the McDonald to linebacker talk, when I saw him play he was smaller than I expected. Granted, he hasn't had a full nutrition and weight cycle yet, but safety seems a good fit. Dude looked smaller than Catalon. 

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sir, I mentioned Hyphen. AND Allen as likely (my opinion) transfers. You've got Taffe, Catalon, Williams, Roberson, 3 incoming Freshmam (including Filsame) that are studs, of which I think 1 will be able to win snaps. You've also McDonald and Jordan, two guys who could probably cross train between Star and Safety. You say 11 bodies, and I see 9 bodies that can play safety, with a couple at star. That doesn't seem like all that big of a difference to me, espescially if we cut out the fucking heavy rotation bullshit and play more of our best players. So yeah, you add a Bryce Anderson level guy if he's there, and that's 10 bodies versus 11 to play the two safety spots. 

How is that lean?

Also, I'm guessing one of Hyphen or Allen (Hyphen) will stick through spring practice and see if they can make a dent. 

I think Guilbeau/Roberson end up being our stars

McDonald, Filsaim, JJR, Taaffe, Catalon, Williams at safety

At corner we have Holmes, Muhammed, Brooks, Black's, and another freshmen

Add in a certain 5 star recruits brother at corner and I personally feel our secondary will be alright. We're stacked at corner and safety should be young but better and more athletic than this year. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

I added a 2024 tab to the depth chart spreadsheet. I removed everyone that walked on Senior Recognition Day, although some might come back. I also removed Worthy and Mitchell since they'll be declaring for the NFL. I'm sure there will be others declaring as well (Ewers, Sanders), but I'm leaving them until I see something more definitive. Not sure about the positions of the RS FR, especially Edge/Buck vs. SAM, so suggestions are welcome.

Link to the 2024 sheet:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TzoBTIvCXfZIk7Sz3C9txMg0yPvrXyVM/edit#gid=1682239859

Here's the defense:

image.thumb.png.f34d8bd1616d72a89a4529146634486c.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

And honestly, I hope Catalon moves on.  If his body can’t hold up for more than 10-20 snaps per game, his reps should go toward developing a successor.  

Yeah, I’d prefer not to turn down 10-20 snaps of pretty good safety play after what we’ve seen this year. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Considering all the McDonald to linebacker talk, when I saw him play he was smaller than I expected. Granted, he hasn't had a full nutrition and weight cycle yet, but safety seems a good fit. Dude looked smaller than Catalon. 

You sure you haven't gone full katfid, because he's 6'2 and Catalon is 5'10 in heels. 

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Add in a certain 5 star recruits brother at corner and I personally feel our secondary will be alright. We're stacked at corner and safety should be young but better and more athletic than this year. 

If you think Roberson is a Star, then you need to add Austin Jordan to the safety group, which is another body. 

I don't give a fuck about Corner, we're going to be fine there. 

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

You sure you haven't gone full katfid, because he's 6'2 and Catalon is 5'10 in heels. 

See below.

Just now, Atticus said:

Bigger from a size standpoint. Catalon is 5'9-5'10, 200+

McDonald is 6'2ish 195. He thought McDonald would be thicker...NTTAWWT

Ding Ding Ding. Hence why I referenced a full year of nutrition and strength and conditioning. 

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you think Roberson is a Star, then you need to add Austin Jordan to the safety group, which is another body. 

I don't give a fuck about Corner, we're going to be fine there. 

See below.

Ding Ding Ding. Hence why I referenced a full year of nutrition and strength and conditioning. 

I'm not sure exactly where Roberson ends up. Jordan could be backup star but it seems Guilbeau will be the guy there next year. 

Could Wilson with his pedigree fill that role? Sucks he's not an EE.

I do agree completely with you that safety(secondary) isn't the top portal need outside of a Bryce Anderson type.

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Yes, yes that is an issue and why he needs to be upgraded over via the portal most likely.  Sadly, you are correct in he is probably one of the two best on the roster which kind of baffles me.

Taaffe ends up looking like our better safety because he at least knows what the fuck he is supposed to be doing out there. Thompson and Crawford essentially guarantee the other team will get free TDs every game due to their completely busted coverages and failures to adjust.

11 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Yeah, I’d prefer not to turn down 10-20 snaps of pretty good safety play after what we’ve seen this year. 

I appreciate Catalon’s aggression in filling a lane, but he’s missed as many of those killshots as he’s hit this year.  The coaches don’t trust him in deep coverage, whenever he’s in he plays flat-footed within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.  And even in that short coverage area, it’s not like he’s been Earl Thomas, I don’t think he’s even sniffed a pick this year.  He’s just not the same player that won freshman AA honors at Arkansas.  If we could deploy him for 10-20 snaps a game in critical situations to give the defense a tangible boost, sure, but that’s not the effect he’s having.  His reps should go to a player who can develop into a solution at safety, rather than a limited band-aid.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

this would be the result of a lot of shuffling of positions on the back end. i would think with all the injury issues at field safety that led to Crawford playing a good bit mean they would have already moved some of those guys to that position instead of letting them sit that deep on the depth chart but who knows.

DB room:

• Holmes/Brooks/Brice/Mack? play field CB (i think on the recruits)
  • Muhammad/Black? play boundary CB (i think on the recruits)
  • Guilbeau/Jordan/McDonald are on the depth chart at STAR
  • Taffee/Willams/JJR?/Hampton?/Filisame? play boundary safety (i think on the recruits)
  • Catalon/Allen/LTG play field safety

i assume Austin Jordan and Xavion Brice quit the team in your scenario? Jordan has been an -OR- at backup STAR with Gilbeau all season a far as I know.

Roberson has been on the depth chart at CB behind Watts and Muhammad, not STAR.

McDonald has been on the depth chart at STAR behind Barron, Guilbeau/Jordan, not Safety.

i don't have the snap counts / where but Jordan has played in every game and Gilbeau started the one game (at STAR i assume) that Barron didn't but has only played in 6 games total. i assume Austin Jordan is on ST somewhere.

Brice hasn't participated in any games. LTG isn't even on the participation report (Brice is) and Allen participated in the first game of the year but none since.

21 minutes ago, AP101S said:

I added a 2024 tab to the depth chart spreadsheet. I removed everyone that walked on Senior Recognition Day, although some might come back. I also removed Worthy and Mitchell since they'll be declaring for the NFL. I'm sure there will be others declaring as well (Ewers, Sanders), but I'm leaving them until I see something more definitive. Not sure about the positions of the RS FR, especially Edge/Buck vs. SAM, so suggestions are welcome.

Link to the 2024 sheet:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TzoBTIvCXfZIk7Sz3C9txMg0yPvrXyVM/edit#gid=1682239859

Here's the defense:

image.thumb.png.f34d8bd1616d72a89a4529146634486c.png

--Bryce Anderson would be nice.

--We need a LB to portal in.

--DL will take a big step down from Murphy and Sweat. I think we will need a DL to portal in, also.

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

this would be the result of a lot of shuffling of positions on the back end. i would think with all the injury issues at field safety that led to Crawford playing a good bit mean they would have already moved some of those guys to that position instead of letting them sit that deep on the depth chart but who knows.

DB room:

• Holmes/Brooks/Brice/Mack? play field CB (i think on the recruits)
  • Muhammad/Black? play boundary CB (i think on the recruits)
  • Guilbeau/Jordan/McDonald are on the depth chart at STAR
  • Taffee/Willams/JJR?/Hampton?/Filisame? play boundary safety (i think on the recruits)
  • Catalon/Allen/LTG play field safety

i assume Austin Jordan and Xavion Brice quit the team in your scenario? Jordan has been an -OR- at backup STAR with Gilbeau all season a far as I know.

Roberson has been on the depth chart at CB behind Watts and Muhammad, not STAR.

McDonald has been on the depth chart at STAR behind Barron, Guilbeau/Jordan, not Safety.

i don't have the snap counts / where but Jordan has played in every game and Gilbeau started the one game (at STAR i assume) that Barron didn't but has only played in 6 games total. i assume Austin Jordan is on ST somewhere.

Brice hasn't participated in any games. LTG isn't even on the participation report (Brice is) and Allen participated in the first game of the year but none since.

IT said that McDonald is going to work at safety in the spring.

Brice was in vs Tech, not that it matters much. 

Judging by what IT has said about Kobe and potentially Korie we're good at corner depth with the names you listed.

I'm with Sydney that LTG and Allen are gone....

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IT said that McDonald is going to work at safety in the spring.

Brice was in vs Tech, not that it matters much. 

Judging by what IT has said about Kobe and potentially Korie we're good at corner depth with the names you listed.

I'm with Sydney that LTG and Allen are gone....

It's great that we're fine with losing certain guys, so they're the guys that we'll lose, right? I hope that's the case across the entire roster, but I expect some pain. Specifically at OL, but likely elsewhere too. DB wouldn't necessarily surprise me.

On 11/29/2023 at 10:50 AM, closetojumping said:

It's great that we're fine with losing certain guys, so they're the guys that we'll lose, right? I hope that's the case across the entire roster, but I expect some pain. Specifically at OL, but likely elsewhere too. DB wouldn't necessarily surprise me.

I think these are guys we could lose:

BJ Allen
Casey Cain
Isaiah Neyor
Larry Turner-Gooden
X'Avion Brice
Charles Wright
Sawyer Goram-Welch
Payton Kirkland - Although he has a significant knee injury that will likely hold him out next year as well.
Juan Davis
Zac Swanson
Maalik Murphy
Maybe another 2023/2022 OL that was in backup role not named Neto.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

OL will have to see some attrition

image.png.52a8c71554a483be8a401f5a03c9195e.png

have to imagine some of the RS FR class leaves just because they are going to get recruited over. Neto has been long talked about as a guy who was interested in moving, wonder if his brother staying changes anything? or if he can actually compete w/ Conner next year?

i can't see a world where Texas keeps ALL the tackles (Goosby/Chatman/Cojoe) especially if Baker comes in and does anything. same for Robertson if Cruz comes in and kicks ass.

this is the first time in well over a decade that the thought of losing someone like Neto or Agbo wouldn't cause our OL to completely collapse.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

have to imagine some of the RS FR class leaves just because they are going to get recruited over. Neto has been long talked about as a guy who was interested in moving, wonder if his brother staying changes anything? or if he can actually compete w/ Conner next year?

Both of Neto's brothers will be joining the program next year. Zina has a twin that is a safety who will be a PWO for us namee Ziky Umeozulu. And for the love of god lets hope Neto beats out Conner

• Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.