2018 World Cup

DanTheHorn

I know fifa is rigged...but Belgium is playing England japan and now Brazil in a span of 8 days...meanwhile Russia played Uruguay, spain and now Croatia in like 13 days. Belgium plays Brazil a day before Russia despite playing just monday while russia played Spain Sunday and Croatia Saturday

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I know fifa is rigged...but Belgium is playing England japan and now Brazil in a span of 8 days...meanwhile Russia played Uruguay, spain and now Croatia in like 13 days. Belgium plays Brazil a day before Russia despite playing just monday while russia played Spain Sunday and Croatia Saturday

23 minutes ago, skipperj said:

Shit’s rigged, yo.

Yep, Putin out front should have told you. 

But Russia cant actually win the thing, can they?

Guest Lobo

Actually, Hitler was quite nice to Croatia during the war, didn't really "invade" them.  Out of respect for their Austrian ties and standing up to communism/rescuing Jews, I'll take Croatia from that whole side of the bracket.  Please and thank you.  

Edited by Lobo

12 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

But, the knockout stage sites and times were set before the WC began. A few teams shit the bed.  We were talking for a while about how the Belgium/England loser would have the better draw, and they played like it.  I wonder if their struggles in their first knockout game were due to taking a game off in the last group stage game.

Edited by FondrenRoad

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Actually, Hitler was quite nice to Croatia during the war, didn't really "invade" them.  Out of respect for their Austrian ties and standing up to communism/rescuing Jews, I'll take Croatia from that whole side of the bracket.  Please and thank you.  

Yeah, the Croats were like "We don't really need help rounding up and exterminating the Jews, we'll happily do it ourselves!!!" And Hitler was like "They feel me dog... solid!"

(Actual sourced references here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust_in_the_Independent_State_of_Croatia ) That being said, I don't think that any of the current team had anything to do with that.

I really think that as long as Rakitic & Modric stay on the field, Croatia has as strong of a chance to win the whole sh-bang as any country. They definitely should be the favorites coming out of the Eastern Conference Bracket. Especially if England keep playing Raheem Sterling. (Sterling has the finishing touch of a leper.)

It's pretty amazing that one of SWEDEN, ENGLAND, RUSSIA, or CROATIA is going to be in the Final of the World Cup.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 2

@Patricio Swayze

so, uh, in the 4 games he's played, your boy has wasted 14 mins of floppage time:

https://www.thescore.com/worldcup/news/1566794

Neymar's dramatic rolls after fouls have wasted nearly a quarter-hour of World Cup playing time.

The Brazilian star, who has been chastised in the media for his embellishments, has spent nearly 14 minutes writhing on the ground, according to Swiss outlet RTS Sport, which timed Neymar's time-wasting antics from foul to free-kick.

The 14-minute total includes five minutes and 30 seconds Neymar spent "hurt" after Mexico's Miguel Layun stepped on his ankle in the round of 16.

Of course, not all fouls called involving Neymar are imagined. Of Neymar's tournament-high 23 fouls suffered, some have appeared legitimately painful. Opponents are clearly targeting his surgically repaired right foot.

But there's no doubting Neymar has embellished several incidents, and it's become difficult to argue his reputation as a flopper is undeserved.

Hahaha, why is he “my boy”?

I, like everyone else (including Brazilians, am sick of his shit. Especially when his talent puts him in a position to score or assist and instead of staying on his feet, he flops.

Nothing I or other fans can do. Not going to diminish my love for the Seleção.

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hahaha, why is he “my boy”?

I, like everyone else (including Brazilians, am sick of his shit. Especially when his talent puts him in a position to score or assist and instead of staying on his feet, he flops.

Nothing I or other fans can do. Not going to diminish my love for the Seleção.

Wait... you don't speak and think for all Brazilians?

There was an older Brazilian man resting on a bench along a bike/jog path in Southern Denver yesterday wearing a Santorini, Greece cap with a Greek flag pen stuck in it. He seemed to been worn out and perhaps had a more labor intensive life that I have had.

He liked the dog that I was walking (I might share pics of the dog later), but definitely couldn't communicate (well) in any language beside Portuguese, so I didn't ask him about Neymar. I'm sure that he would have been proud of the Seleção and even of Neymar's talent, but I didn't want to seem like an arrogant American asking him to try to struggle through English explaining why Neymar was such a flopping bitch. Especially when he might have been think (in Portuguese) "Hey dickhead, even though he is a flopping bitch, he's still light years better than any player that your country has ever produced."

So I smiled and said "Buen djia" (pronunciation, not spelling) and went on my way.

Edited by Napoleon

3 hours ago, ScottishHorn said:

https://www.thescore.com/worldcup/news/1567094

Stones says Columbia dirtiest team he ever played.  I tend to agree.

And yet the english press were all over geiger for losing the plot despite the fact that kane pulled the guys shorts to start the pancake process for the pk that geiger didn't have to give them.  If geiger had handed out 2 or 3 reds for dissent for colombian bitchassedness then england would not have the euphoric confidence they have today for finally exorcising their penalties adversity demon.  given how it played out england should be thanking Geiger profusely.

[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention]
so, uh, in the 4 games he's played, your boy has wasted 14 mins of floppage time:
https://www.thescore.com/worldcup/news/1566794

Neymar's dramatic rolls after fouls have wasted nearly a quarter-hour of World Cup playing time.
The Brazilian star, who has been chastised in the media for his embellishments, has spent nearly 14 minutes writhing on the ground, according to Swiss outlet RTS Sport, which timed Neymar's time-wasting antics from foul to free-kick.
The 14-minute total includes five minutes and 30 seconds Neymar spent "hurt" after Mexico's Miguel Layun stepped on his ankle in the round of 16.
  Of course, not all fouls called involving Neymar are imagined. Of Neymar's tournament-high 23 fouls suffered, some have appeared legitimately painful. Opponents are clearly targeting his surgically repaired right foot.
But there's no doubting Neymar has embellished several incidents, and it's become difficult to argue his reputation as a flopper is undeserved.

The Marcus Smart of soccer...and I say this a Poke

Scoring first in a World Cup knockout is usually decisive.  Recovering from conceding first is a rare event.  Only 5 countries have done it twice in knockout play in the same tournament.  Croatia's run this year is unique in that it required kicks to advance both times.

2 Croatia (2018: Denmark 1-1, Russia 2-2)
2 Italy (1970: Mexico 4-1, West Germany 4-3)
2 Italy (1934: Spain 1-1, 1-0, Czechoslovakia 2-1)
2 Czechoslovakia (1934: Romania 2-1, Switzerland 3-2)
2 Uruguay (1930: Yugoslavia 6-1, Argentina 4-2)

I've really enjoyed this world cup.  Haven't really enjoyed one this much since 2006.  2010 was unwatchable because of the fucking horns.  2014 was held in Brazil which should have made it compelling and the US team run was nice and frustrating at the same time but I was not able to see as many games.  Plus a lot of teams were gassed playing in some of those hot, jungle locations. I think I've enjoyed this one because I've been able to just watch and enjoy it.  The US being out has been a plus because I'm not as frustrated watching and England advancing has been nice.

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Scoring first in a World Cup knockout is usually decisive.  Recovering from conceding first is a rare event.  Only 5 countries have done it twice in knockout play in the same tournament.  Croatia's run this year is unique in that it required kicks to advance both times.

2 Croatia (2018: Denmark 1-1, Russia 2-2)
2 Italy (1970: Mexico 4-1, West Germany 4-3)
2 Italy (1934: Spain 1-1, 1-0, Czechoslovakia 2-1)
2 Czechoslovakia (1934: Romania 2-1, Switzerland 3-2)
2 Uruguay (1930: Yugoslavia 6-1, Argentina 4-2)

I miss Czechoslovakia.

2 hours ago, ScottishHorn said:

I've really enjoyed this world cup.  Haven't really enjoyed one this much since 2006.  2010 was unwatchable because of the fucking horns.  2014 was held in Brazil which should have made it compelling and the US team run was nice and frustrating at the same time but I was not able to see as many games.  Plus a lot of teams were gassed playing in some of those hot, jungle locations. I think I've enjoyed this one because I've been able to just watch and enjoy it.  The US being out has been a plus because I'm not as frustrated watching and England advancing has been nice.

No True Scotsman 

• Haha 2

The US being out fucking sucks and is not a plus. At all.
  • Like 2

On 6/28/2018 at 4:34 PM, MoJames said:

From today's thread

Uru - Fra > Fra

Braz - Bel > Bel >> Bel

Spn - Den > Spn

Swe - Eng > Eng >> Eng >>> Bel

Won't happen but I wouldn't mind seeing this.

So my final 4 is off just with Spain being out.  Really happy with the teams left, don't see one I'll actively root against.

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
On 7/8/2018 at 1:13 PM, ScottishHorn said:

The US being out fucking sucks and is not a plus. At all.

If the US had made it to the World Cup, Sunil would still be running the show and we would have been watching Michael Bradley leading Jozy & Friends to last place in the group with excuses galore rather than seeing the kids get several games, including a draw with France*.

*I understand the importance of that friendly to the French players, but I also understand the importance of that draw to our kids.

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

If the US had made it to the World Cup, Sunil would still be running the show and we would have been watching Michael Bradley leading Jozy & Friends to last place in the group with excuses galore rather than seeing the kids get several games, including a draw with France*.

*I understand the importance of that friendly to the French players, but I also understand the importance of that draw to our kids.

This is why I'm glad they weren't in.  It would have been an embarrassment and spoiled the tournament for me

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, the US needs to rebuild and go with the younger kids. It does not bother me nor impact my enjoyment of the cup if we are in or not. There are four more games and I intend on watching every moment of them. 

Been fun watching with this group. 

Does the 3rd place game really count?

18 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

No. And no one ever gives a shit about it.

For fans that are fans of the losers of the game it is a verification that they sucked and were lucky to make the semi final or that the coach and the players did the right thing by sitting out all the best players. For the fans of the winners it is one more chance to bitch about how if they would have done this or that they did not have to be watching this game and should instead be watching the next day's game. For the coach of the winners he will endlessly quote that he got third place in a major competition.

Edited by DanTheHorn

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Does the 3rd place game really count?

4 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

No. And no one ever gives a shit about it.

The 3rd Place game is most important for someone going for the Golden Boot or the Golden/Silver/Bronze Ball.

That's it. And maybe just to remove some of the sting of losing in the Semis (for the winning team) and to put a final stamp on the Semifinalist who though  they were good and then ended the tournament with two straight losses.

Brazil's back-to-back losses in 2014 made it clear that they were outclassed by the top teams, not just Germany.

In 2010 Uruguay lost to Germany, but Diego Forlan scored in the 3rd place game and though I think he lost the Golden Boot on assists to Germany's Mueller, I think that cemented him getting the Golden Ball for the tournament . (I think.)

The 3rd Place game is most important for someone going for the Golden Boot or the Golden/Silver/Bronze Ball.
That's it. And maybe just to remove some of the sting of losing in the Semis (for the winning team) and to put a final stamp on the Semifinalist who though  they were good and then ended the tournament with two straight losses.
Brazil's back-to-back losses in 2014 made it clear that they were outclassed by the top teams, not just Germany.
In 2010 Uruguay lost to Germany, but Diego Forlan scored in the 3rd place game and though I think he lost the Golden Boot on assists to Germany's Mueller, I think that cemented him getting the Golden Ball for the tournament . (I think.)

Perfect match for Kane

30 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I wonder if Christian Pulisic would even make this Croatian squad if he decided to play for them instead of USMNT

I think that Pulisic would have probably made the squad, but he would have been a bench player.

I also think that he would have had a better season this past year, because he would have had to in order to be selected for Croatia's squad. Although the entire Dortmund team didn't play up to expectations this year, I think that Christian's play dropped off after the US failed to make the World Cup. BVB started the season so strong and then hit cruise control sometime in October and ended the year barely making the Champions League next year after a mid-season coaching change. (Unless I'm imagining things.)

So he probably would have made the bench and then gotten to play in Croatia's 3rd group match against Iceland. Don't know if he would have played in any other matches. 

• Like 1