Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)

Beau Vine

Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/23 at 06:51 PM

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

There's the Uniform Criminal Extradition Act that all (I think) states are parties to. Its an agreement that basically says "we will return yours, if you return ours." If a person is arrested for a crime in CA, the agency that processes that arrest will run their info and see if there are any warrants or "holds" from other jurisdictions. If there is a warrant from a different jurisdiction, then CA would call them to see what they want to do about it. The answer can be "cite them out," "set bail and order them to return to our state" or "hold them. we'll come get them." If its the third option, then various timelines kick in regarding how long one can be held, and the defendant can request Identification hearings, etc.

I wish someone would have told me this earlier. 

• Haha 2

I personally like how he couches our choices as "Donald Trump," or "Third World Marxist tyranny."  Pretty fascinating how a mainstream political party, which has controlled congress and the presidency multiple times over the past century (to pick a period) = Third World Marxist tyranny.  And our BETTER choice is literally the first fucking president who attempted a coup to stay in power.

I'll pick the "didn't try a coup" party.  All.  Day.  Long.  You fucking twisted, fetid lump of gruel-like shit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Meh, too Cloak Room!  Everybody here voted for him in 2016 but nobody voted for him in 2020!  Nothing news-related here!  

Actually, it is quite interesting.  These four trials will effect much about our nation that is daily-texan newsworthy from our foreign relations to our nation's credit rating to reserve currency status to stock market to diplomatic posture.  I know many think it's all a political ruse.  And possibly so, but it will have tangible  effects on the above topics and more, nonetheless.  Whether he committed any of these 100+ felonies, or somebody put him up to it, or did it behind his back and pinned it on him, or he was framed for all of it...the fallout no matter what will have serious and measurable consequences for the United States of America.  And multiple people are going to die.  

9 hours ago, Foosters said:

Huh? I've personally represented people on cases where Florida sought extradition.

There's the Uniform Criminal Extradition Act that all (I think) states are parties to. Its an agreement that basically says "we will return yours, if you return ours." If a person is arrested for a crime in CA, the agency that processes that arrest will run their info and see if there are any warrants or "holds" from other jurisdictions. If there is a warrant from a different jurisdiction, then CA would call them to see what they want to do about it. The answer can be "cite them out," "set bail and order them to return to our state" or "hold them. we'll come get them." If its the third option, then various timelines kick in regarding how long one can be held, and the defendant can request Identification hearings, etc.

Florida, Louisiana, whatever it takes. 

What if I told you there is a state that booby traps international waters against various laws and treaties and many others that wipe their asses with the 1st, 4th, well virtually all amendments?

We have a former President who prompted adult human lawyers and journalists to publicly speculate whether a President could self-pardon or pardon co-conspirators. Laws are fluid in this timeline.
  • Rage+1 1

I am reporting these posts.  It is not newsworthy.  People are indicted and tried all the time for attempting to overturn all kinds of elections, okay?  

(checks notes)  wait, the sitting government attempted the overthrow of its own government?  That seems odd.  Not Daily Texan worthy.  But certainly curious. 

Texas Woman Charged With Threatening to Kill Judge in Trump Election Case

Days after the woman called her chambers, Judge Tanya S. Chutkan cautioned the former president about making “inflammatory statements” that could harm the integrity of the case.

Aug. 16, 2023

Judge Tanya S. Chutkan. Judge Tanya S. Chutkan, who is overseeing the federal election case against former President Donald J. Trump, received a voice message that said, in part, “You will be targeted personally, publicly, your family, all of it.” U.S. Courts, via Reuters

A Texas woman has been charged with threatening to kill Tanya S. Chutkan, the federal judge in Washington who is overseeing former President Donald J. Trump’s prosecution on charges of seeking to overturn the 2020 election.

The woman, Abigail Jo Shry, of Alvin, Texas, called Judge Chutkan’s chambers on Aug. 5, two days after Mr. Trump was arraigned on the election interference charges, and left a voice mail message attacking the judge, who is Black, with a racial slur, according to a criminal complaint unsealed on Friday.

In the message, Ms. Shry told Judge Chutkan, “If Trump doesn’t get elected in 2024, we are coming to kill you, so tread lightly, bitch,” according to the complaint. She added, “You will be targeted personally, publicly, your family, all of it.”

Ms. Shry, 43, also issued a threat against Representative Sheila Jackson Lee, a Black Democratic congresswoman from Texas, the complaint said.

Mr. Trump has a long history of verbally attacking judges and other people involved in the criminal cases brought against him, particularly on social media. The day before the call, Mr. Trump had posted a message on his social media platform, Truth Social, saying, “IF YOU GO AFTER ME, I’M COMING AFTER YOU!” (His campaign said his words were not directed against anyone involved in the election interference case.)

Takeaways From Trump’s Indictment in the 2020 Election Inquiry

The indictment portrayed an attack on American democracy. Smith framed his case against Trump as one that cuts to a key function of democracy: the peaceful transfer of power. By underscoring this theme, Smith cast his effort as an effort not just to hold Trump accountable but also to defend the very core of democracy.

Trump was placed at the center of the conspiracy charges. Smith put Trump at the heart of three conspiracies that culminated on Jan. 6, 2021, in an attempt to obstruct Congress’s role in ratifying the Electoral College outcome. The special counsel argued that Trump knew that his claims about a stolen election were false, a point that, if proved, could be important to convincing a jury to convict him.

Trump didn’t do it alone. The indictment lists six co-conspirators without naming or indicting them. Based on the descriptions provided, they match the profiles of Trump lawyers and advisers who were willing to argue increasingly outlandish conspiracy and legal theories to keep him in power. It’s unclear whether these co-conspirators will be indicted.

Late last week, Judge Chutkan addressed that issue, warning Mr. Trump that she would take measures to ensure that he did not make “inflammatory statements”about the case in a way that might intimidate witnesses or otherwise harm the integrity of the proceeding.

Almost immediately, Mr. Trump tested the boundaries of Judge Chutkan’s admonition by posting a series of messages on Truth Social that largely amplified the criticism that other people had lodged against her.

How Times reporters cover politics. Times journalists may vote, but they are not allowed to endorse or campaign for candidates or political causes. That includes participating in rallies and donating money to a candidate or cause.

Did you find this information helpful?

In one post, written by an ally of Mr. Trump’s, the lawyer Mike Davis, a large photo of Judge Chutkan accompanied text that falsely claimed she had “openly admitted she’s running election interference against Trump.” In two other posts, Mr. Trump wrote: “She obviously wants me behind bars. VERY BIASED & UNFAIR.”

The posts criticizing Judge Chutkan were published after Ms. Shry’s voice mail message.

When federal agents visited Ms. Shry at home three days after she left the message for Judge Chutkan, she admitted that she had called the judge’s chambers, the complaint said. Ms. Shry told the agents that she had no plans to go to Washington or to Houston, the area that Ms. Lee represents. But she also said that “if Sheila Jackson Lee comes to Alvin, then we need to worry,” according to the complaint.

Ms. Shry was denied bail on Wednesday and ordered to be held in custody for at least 30 days following a detention hearing in Federal District Court in Houston.

At the hearing, court papers said, Ms. Shry’s father, Mark Shry, testified that she was a “nonviolent alcoholic” who “sits on her couch daily watching the news while drinking too many beers.”

After drinking, Mr. Shry told a judge in Texas, Ms. Shry often became “agitated by the news” and started “calling people and threatening them,” the papers said.

Mr. Trump’s supporters have sometimes engaged in violence after officials in the criminal justice system have taken action against him.

Last summer, after F.B.I. agents descended on Mar-a-Lago, his private club and residence in Florida, hauling away a trove of classified documents, an armed Ohio man enraged by the search tried to break into the bureau’s field office near Cincinnati.

The man was ultimately killed in a shootout with the local police.

A version of this article appears in print on Aug. 17, 2023, Section A, Page 15 of the New York edition with the headline: Woman Held After Judge In 2020 Case Is Threatened. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe

Deranged Texan threatens to murder judge.  Is this even newsworthy anymore?

laugh / cry emoji:  "DHS Special Agents conducted a knock and talk at the residence of Abigail Jo SHRY in Alvin, Texas.  During consensual questioning, SHRY admitted that the phone number [xxxxxxx] belongs to her and that she did in fact make the call to Judge Chutkan's chambers.  SHRY stated that she had no plans to travel to Washington DC or Houston to carry out anything she stated, adding that if Sheila Jackson Lee comes to Alvin, then we need to worry."

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/14/2023 at 2:27 PM, Boss Hogg said:

So will any of these go to trial before Nov 2024?

not if Trump's legal team gets their way

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/us/trump-jan-6-trial-date-proposal.html

Lawyers for former President Donald J. Trump asked a judge on Thursday to reject the government’s proposal to take Mr. Trump to trial in early January on charges of seeking to overturn the 2020 election and to instead push back the proceeding until April 2026 — nearly a year and a half after the 2024 election.

The lawyers said the extraordinary delay was needed because of the historic nature of the case and the extraordinary volume of discovery evidence they will have to sort through — as much as 8.5 terabytes of materials, totaling over 11.5 million pages, they wrote in a filing to Judge Tanya S. Chutkan, who is overseeing the case.

In a bit of legal showmanship, Gregory M. Singer, the lawyer who wrote the brief, included a graph that showed how 11.5 million pages of documents stacked atop one another would result in a “tower of paper stretching nearly 5,000 feet into the sky.”

That, Mr. Singer pointed out, was “taller than the Washington Monument, stacked on top of itself eight times, with nearly a million pages to spare.”

sounds compelling

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2023 at 4:31 PM, Brisketexan said:

I personally like how he couches our choices as "Donald Trump, Third World Marxist tyranny."  Pretty fascinating how a mainstream political party, which has controlled congress and the presidency multiple times over the past century (to pick a period) = Third World Marxist tyranny.  And our BETTER choice is literally the first fucking president who attempted a coup to stay in power.

I'll pick the "didn't try a coup" party.  All.  Day.  Long.  You fucking twisted, fetid lump of gruel-like shit.

FIFY

On 8/16/2023 at 12:57 AM, pacman said:

Wonder how much he is not going to pay these lawyers to handle all these cases.

Zero Point Zero - Zero GIF - Zero John Belushi Animal House ...

On 8/17/2023 at 8:51 PM, longhornmatt said:

Lawyers would be better off if the judge denies the request to delay.  Do you really want to ring up 2.5 years of work that Trump won’t pay you instead of just 6 months?   Because he’s definitely not going to pay them for all the hours it would take to go through all of that.  

See above

noCR , but I like how they used "Feel what they tell is true" instead of "Know/Think what they tell you is true." 

Somebody could make a bumper sticker about what to do with your "feelings" and contribute the revenue to the wreath fund.  

On 8/17/2023 at 8:51 PM, longhornmatt said:

Lawyers would be better off if the judge denies the request to delay.  Do you really want to ring up 2.5 years of work that Trump won’t pay you instead of just 6 months?   Because he’s definitely not going to pay them for all the hours it would take to go through all of that.  

They aren't doing shit without cash in the bank first.  No self-respecting defense attorney would.  This isn't a contingency "let's see how much we can squeeze the insurance co for" fee.

The nutso part is that his mouthbreathing and largely poor support base is who is footing the bill.  

17 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Yea but it’s awesome religious leaders are losing popularity. 

Agreed.  Although I would argue Trump and/or conspiracy theory thinking has simply replaced religious leaders and religion for a lot of these ignoramuses, and it's a lateral move at best.  Jumping from one fantasy to another.   What a way to live.

• Hook 'Em 1

Great, now the mods are gonna shut this down for being too political.  But yeah, it's somewhat newsworthy (DT's purpose) to mention because of how many lawyers we have on here...that it was very likely the case that most of his attorneys were willing to eat shit on payment for many years because the high profile cases would propel them to bigger and better things down the road.  

In the interest of DT news...somebody show me one Trump attorney since 2015 who has had their career boosted by working for Trump pro bono.  Actually, first explain to me (and I went to law school), is it considered "Pro Bono" if the invoice to your client is sent back to you with "Eat a Bag of Shit, You Suck" written in black sharpie?  Or is that just an accounts receivable issue?  But then after that, tell me about a lawyer who has served the greatest President ever with no payment that has then used that status to go on to a more lucrative career, made managing partner, become a judge, been recognized by the Order of the Coif, etc.  And no, talk show appearances don't count as career greatness.  I know that can help, but let's go with the mutually agreed upon illusion that lying on television is beneath the CV of any decent lawyer ;)  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

we now live in a world where there is no such thing as truth. find someone that has decided the sky is green and report back on your experience trying to convince them it's blue.

we are fucked.

the Colbert Report' Truthiness Moment

Thought I'd try the esteemed, but perverted, dais of Daily Texan before venturing over to "IPIHB" forum. 

Can somebody please tell me what the fuck is a "Golden Domed Suite."  Is that like a "Cleveland Steamer", "Rusty Trombone", or "German Knuckle Cake."  

noCR, but no matter if you're a former politician or a former plumber...if you ever find yourself facing 91 felony counts...try not to tell millions of people that your next move is likely to flee trial, fly to another country to share a bungalow (albeit, what sounds like a very high-end one) with another dude...who is currently waging a series of war crimes near said 'Golden Domed Suite.'  But that's me, a simple guy from the Midwest.  

You could give a trillion monkeys keyboards, and give a trillion server farms to ChatGPT, and a trillion poets a trillion hits of acid...and for the rest of eternity...none of it would generate a paragraph as fucking insane as that Truth Social posting.  

Wait, so two guys who claim the other one deleted the footage, but didn't delete the footage because it never existed, who both claim they were ordered to by a superior, who both claim the other is the superior, but then the other one is just the person the superior would come to with such an order, if such an order ever existed, which it didn't, but now it did because jail time is on the line for both of them or neither because they're not home right now.  These two all-stars decided the best course of action before contradicting prior statements was to hire the same fucking lawyer?  A Stanley Woodward, who studied at the American University's Columbus School of American Law?  Where I think Hakeem Joffer studied (small school, didn't even have a basketball team).  

As Mr. Tanaka once asked on a great Seinfeld episode of George Costanza, "And this is customary in your legal system?"  When they ask 2L's one day, decades from now, to write a case brief on these guys...they're going to instruct the students to get out a pencil and paper and shove the pencil in their nipple.  

This whole fucking thing is like another season of L.A. Law imagined by an autistic kid holding a snow globe filled with uncut cocaine.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Thought I'd try the esteemed, but perverted, dais of Daily Texan before venturing over to "IPIHB" forum. 

Can somebody please tell me what the fuck is a "Golden Domed Suite."  Is that like a "Cleveland Steamer", "Rusty Trombone", or "German Knuckle Cake."  

noCR, but no matter if you're a former politician or a former plumber...if you ever find yourself facing 91 felony counts...try not to tell millions of people that your next move is likely to flee trial, fly to another country to share a bungalow (albeit, what sounds like a very high-end one) with another dude...who is currently waging a series of war crimes near said 'Golden Domed Suite.'  But that's me, a simple guy from the Midwest.  

You could give a trillion monkeys keyboards, and give a trillion server farms to ChatGPT, and a trillion poets a trillion hits of acid...and for the rest of eternity...none of it would generate a paragraph as fucking insane as that Truth Social posting.  

danielle-thomas-with-gia.jpg.2a5db07f680e6d4e4e7d70d951a3f4c0.jpg

• Haha 6

I thought it was Cracker Barrel or Chili's?  

Also, where are we having the war?  Like, there's no clear delineation like there was during the last one.   The red state/blue state myth is the dumbest fucking lie in the media right now.  But somebody let me know at what time we're doing it so I can floss.  

• Hook 'Em 1