Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)

Beau Vine

Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/23 at 06:51 PM

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

what do you mean by "you all people"

as this is the non-political news thread, for folks who have a difficult time keeping up with the news has there been any indication of when one of the trials could get underway? Quick google indicates that one of the Trump codefendants in the Georgia one just got a date set for Oct 23 - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-trial-date-fulton-county-georgia-fani-willis-proposal-october-23/ - is it at all likely that Trump's trial will start on a similar timeline?

gotdam.  remind me not to commit a felony.  trial is 3 months after indictment?

from the article

Earlier Thursday, Fani Willis, the district attorney in Fulton County, Georgia, asked Judge Scott McAfee to set Oct. 23 as the start of the trial for all defendants. Her office's request came after Chesebro had demanded a speedy trial, which under Georgia law gave Willis' office until the end of October to begin the case.

holy smokes indeed.  you can demand a trial in three months.

When you have to write somebody in, always write in Willie Nelson.
He said he'd never vote for a Democrat, so that's out.

Which is a fucked up position. There could, in theory, be the perfect candidate that aligns with all his values and platforms and he is still not voting D ever.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I voted for him twice and I know others on here did as well. It was fairly easy to rationalize in November, but it became almost impossible during the next few months. I’ll never vote for a democrat, so if he’s our nominee I suppose I’ll have to write myself in. 

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Surly has become a modern-day Pauline Kael.  The NYC film critic who famously said, "I can't believe Nixon won.  I only know one person who voted for him" to an audience of coastal elites in the art space.  Even though Nixon clearly won that election, even without the Watergate intel acquisitions.  

I don't know how Trump won in 2016 and narrowly lost in 2020 when I only know one Surly person/real life friend or family member who voted for him.  Several people on Surly and hundreds of folks I know in real life have suddenly declared either "I voted for him in 2016, but not in 2020" or "I never voted for him either time."  How convenient.  Given the demography of this site-mainly in Texas, mainly male, mainly 35-75, mainly white/hispanic...stands to statistical reason that of those that voted, at least 45% broke for Trump if not more.  Yet somehow, there's not a single Trump 2020 voter on here and none that intends to vote for him in 2024.    

People in Texas do understand that your primary vote is public record?  And while I often vote for somebody different in the general, it's because my primary pick didn't get their nomination.  I'm having a hard time believing this many smart people in my orbit voted for Trump twice in primaries but didn't vote for him in either general.  Never mind the record of donations to him.  I guess we're the special statistical outlier we pride ourselves on being.  Nobody's asking for you to post your voting record on here, but pretending we all took some moral high ground in 2016, 2020, and will lie about again in 2024.  Even for our depraved site, that's beneath us.  Totally fine to stay silent on the matter and none of our business, but quit the half-assed "Oh heavens know, I wouldn't vote for him and only know one person who did" charade.  If you're gonna post on the topic, own your shit. 

I’ll respond to you against my better judgement since I suspect I’m one of your targets here. Probably over half my family, including my parents and wife’s parents and probably half my siblings/cousins voted for him. All with a “held my nose” caveat as if that matters. The overwhelming majority of my business colleagues voted for him. They are much more apt to be critical of Obama (I yearn for those days) and especially Biden than ever admit that they support a fat toddler with Twitter. The hypocrisy astounds me, at a personal level and on a business level. 

I’ve always detested the man, and have never voted for him. I would admit it here. I will admit being mildly entertained when he defeated Hilary and when I saw the hand-wringing on the old site. I was wrong, people here were right, and it became apparent to me starting the day of his inauguration. January 6th permanently changed my view of him from mere petulant toddler to evil, Russian/Central/South American wannabe tyrant petulant toddler, except he’s far dumber than Lenin or Stalin.

He should not be permitted to run for office ever again. I don’t care if he serves prison time; I just want him labeled a traitor and stripped of any ability to run for any federal office ever. I fear any such verdict will result in a civil war of some sort. He personifies everything wrong with humanity. I will celebrate his death, and for this country to move forward he needs to absolutely die. 

Edited by Porterhouse

I agree on your last paragraph.  Wasn't targeted to you, I looked up Porterhouse on the primary voter rolls.  Turns out it's not even a real person. 

I sound like a typical broken record, but I can't help but believe that these four cases plus whatever else is coming down the pike...it comes down to calendars.  They cannot work in league, but you lay out enough courtroom appearances in four different jurisdictions, with that many co-conspirators to coordinate with, plus fundraising appearances, plus debates (even if you only participate in a handful), and all the primary appearances (even if you think you've got the state in the bag which he mostly does-you gotta put in a token red meat toss to keep the money pouring in)...even with your own plane...that's a fucking grind for a morbidly obese 78 year old).  Even "high energy Donnie" can't keep that up for 15 more months.  Especially with the mental weight of what is happening.  sure he's a narcissistic sociopath who doesn't care about this kinda shit, but somebody with that much experience in our legal system going back 50 years of business dealings in the litigation world...he's not that naive.  Nobody in human history has ever attempted to win this much power with this much travel with this much trouble hanging over their heads.  The kind of person with that kind of sterner stuff wouldn't have done half this shit in the first place.  I think plan one is legally break him.  If that doesn't work, politically break him.  Option three-grind him down to literal exhaustion and a permanent stay in hospital.  

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Nobody in human history has ever attempted to win this much power with this much travel with this much trouble hanging over their heads.  The kind of person with that kind of sterner stuff wouldn't have done half this shit in the first place.  I think plan one is legally break him.  If that doesn't work, politically break him.  Option three-grind him down to literal exhaustion and a permanent stay in hospital.  

You haven't been paying attention to this timeline.

He somehow slips through/gets past all charges and real consequences.  He walks, grinning the whole way.

He wins the GOP nomination.  Easily.

He doesn't win the general election.  But some GQP tomfoolery or another, backed by a SCOTUS led by Alito and Thomas wearing warpaint, somehow hands him the White House anyway.  

He reigns as "President for Life" for 30 years until he dies at age 108 in 2054.

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure at some point he'll issue an executive order mandating that McDonald's bring back the McDLT, the best burger mickey d's ever had.  So, we'll have that going for us...which is nice.

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I agree on your last paragraph.  Wasn't targeted to you, I looked up Porterhouse on the primary voter rolls.  Turns out it's not even a real person. 

I sound like a typical broken record, but I can't help but believe that these four cases plus whatever else is coming down the pike...it comes down to calendars.  They cannot work in league, but you lay out enough courtroom appearances in four different jurisdictions, with that many co-conspirators to coordinate with, plus fundraising appearances, plus debates (even if you only participate in a handful), and all the primary appearances (even if you think you've got the state in the bag which he mostly does-you gotta put in a token red meat toss to keep the money pouring in)...even with your own plane...that's a fucking grind for a morbidly obese 78 year old).  Even "high energy Donnie" can't keep that up for 15 more months.  Especially with the mental weight of what is happening.  sure he's a narcissistic sociopath who doesn't care about this kinda shit, but somebody with that much experience in our legal system going back 50 years of business dealings in the litigation world...he's not that naive.  Nobody in human history has ever attempted to win this much power with this much travel with this much trouble hanging over their heads.  The kind of person with that kind of sterner stuff wouldn't have done half this shit in the first place.  I think plan one is legally break him.  If that doesn't work, politically break him.  Option three-grind him down to literal exhaustion and a permanent stay in hospital.  

Any of those would be great. Politically, all this will only rally up his base. He and his supporters have been challenged and I doubt this breaks his spirit. It’s emboldening them. 

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But some GQP tomfoolery or another, 

But my tomfoolery is cheeky and fun.  Theirs is tragic and cruel.  Which makes it not really tomfoolery at all.  

"I swear to Trump, I'm gonna pistol whip the next asshole that says tomfoolery."

Hey Brisket, what's that Delaware joint you like with the cheesesteaks and all the goofy shit on the wall?

Just now, YGIFS said:

But my tomfoolery is cheeky and fun.  Theirs is tragic and cruel.  Which makes it not really tomfoolery at all.  

"I swear to Trump, I'm gonna pistol whip the next asshole that says tomfoolery."

Hey Brisket, what's that Delaware joint you like with the cheesesteaks and all the goofy shit on the wall?

You mean shenanigans?

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

Any of those would be great. Politically, all this will only rally up his base. He and his supporters have been challenged and I doubt this breaks his spirit. It’s emboldening them. 

Yeah, it will rally up his base.  Their messaging has been curious so far in that it's the "If it can happen to Trump, it can happen to any of us!"  I don't think that resonates with independents and even moderate Republicans who are thinking, "Enough with your fucking victim crusade.  I want a more reliable regulatory environment and maybe less judicial activism"  What they're doing is making sure everybody from last time is fired up to get back out there again, but really it's to keep sending in more money to help the persecuted leader.  But it kinda resonates like they're still making a half-assed attempt at other demographics, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out.  

The real head-scratcher to me has always been...he was gonna lose the EC in 2020.  But he picked up several million more votes.  And I don't think it was the "This election is fixed, so get ready.  Still vote, just be ready for how much bullshit is involved."  And in a twisted way, it kinda worked.  I go back to these panels and white papers from Dowd and Axelrod (both pretty middle of the road politically having worked for both sides over the years).  And they have this Institute at University of Chicago for politics with access to all these brilliant professors and grad students in statistics and big data and all this shit that's over my head at maybe the best kept secret in higher education in North America.  And after two years, they can't figure out how the fuck he promised the election was rigged but got more people than the first one to turn out for it; having at the same time also done a really  horrific job in his first term, particularly the last 2.5 years.  Their working assumption is 25mm came out to straight ticket vote, no sense in studying them-that's always gonna happen on both sides.  25mm saw what he did in his first term but held their nose and took another chance, maybe this group picked up (near as they can tell) another 2-3mm.  The third tranche is the head scratcher.  They picked up at least 7, if not closer to 10mm more voters.  They think it was just a simple, "Hey, what's going on over there?  Those friends and neighbors seem fired up for this guy...let's jump on in for the big win?"  A horrific first term and he gains 11mm votes in the popular.  And nobody, except him, ever talks about how that happened.  If you can keep 10-15mm of those second two groups from coming back out, he's done (probably done anyway), so that's their current messaging target.  But it seems off somehow, but we'll get to that I suppose.  One thing to inspire your legal crusade to the tune of donations, but to get that to political activism and participation?  If anybody can do it though, it's him.  

I really think he's just a drug that a lot of people don't want to kick because it feels good to be validated for being vulnerable and stupid and feeling slighted.  Second mentality is "I Have to keep voting for him otherwise it looks like I know I was duped and an O'Doyle never admits to being duped!"  

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:

He said he'd never vote for a Democrat, so that's out.

Which is a fucked up position. There could, in theory, be the perfect candidate that aligns with all his values and platforms and he is still not voting D ever.

Well, he's, you know... stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2

I voted for him twice and I know others on here did as well. It was fairly easy to rationalize in November, but it became almost impossible during the next few months. I’ll never vote for a democrat, so if he’s our nominee I suppose I’ll have to write myself in. 

Democrats are feckless and suck at times, but at least they try.

I challenge you to search the world, identify any country or US state that is economically developed, a democracy, and has a diverse population, and identify successful public policy positions that you would support.

My guess is that you’ll find legislation and policies that a democrat in the US would also support.

If you can’t cite any, then trust people like me to tell you to vote straight ticket democrat because they are the only major party in the US that attempts to govern within the framework of a democracy at this time.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

they are the only major party in the US that attempts to govern within the framework of a democracy at this time.

This.

There's plenty of good reasons to vote Democrat.  But I don't need to get there.  I'm a single-issue voter these days. That issue is "do you want the Republic to continue, or would you prefer a fascist authoritarian state?"  That's it.  That's the fork in the road.  One party supports continuing this Republic.  The other actively supports overthrowing it (no hyperbole, fucking listen to them -- they supported Jan 6th, excuse it, and would welcome another attempt).

But, yeah....a shitload of what are characterized as the Dems most wacky, lefty positions....are positions that have been supported (and often implemented) by right wing and center right parties all over the western world.  The US Dem party is center right, on the global scale.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

If you’re a Texan and enjoy the luxuries of our bountiful natural resources, you can thank democrats like FDR, Sam Rayburn, LBJ, and JJ Pickle and other civic-minded leaders who invested in Texas infrastructure and set up agencies with legislation at state and federal levels.

Investments made from 1930-1980 were critical for our success. Since that time, the GOP has largely starved the beast and Texas relies on transplants for prosperity.

Our power grid is substandard
Our transportation is poor
Children, elderly, and disabled are in crisis
Our water supply and air quality is suspect
Our schools are underfunded and undermined
Our healthcare system is top heavy (great for rich and populated)
Our government is corrupt

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

I haven't been here as long as many of you, but this state's transportation network is fucking baffling to me to this day.  

So many people and goods to move around such a large expanse, with more coming by the day.  And I look at the network of rail, highways, surface streets, and coastal and it's like a stoner who has two weeks to move apartments so on day 1 he packs up a box marked "Books", and then 13 days later-throws everything else into a series of trash bags in a friend's van.  

13 hours ago, Armybrat said:

7254ABBB-1FDC-42FE-BFE9-C3F0FF2F5629.jpeg

Honestly if I was your age I wouldn't give much of a shit either. 

It just sucks for the under 50-60 crowd that are more than likely going to have to live through some form of another American civil war or authoritarian rule in America. It's heading that way and all the signs are there. America is in between an autocracy and a democracy right now and the population is losing faith in elections that are being attacked by one of the two political parties. Add that to the obscene wealth gap that widens every year and several hundred million guns floating around and it's going to explode sooner than later. 

16 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

You are not a smart person.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Honestly if I was your age I wouldn't give much of a shit either. 

It just sucks for the under 50-60 crowd that are more than likely going to have to live through some form of another American civil war or authoritarian rule in America. It's heading that way and all the signs are there. America is in between an autocracy and a democracy right now and the population is losing faith in elections that are being attacked by one of the two political parties. Add that to the obscene wealth gap that widens every year and several hundred million guns floating around and it's going to explode sooner than later. 

I do give a shit, but at my age it is just futility.

If you think your one party is going to solve the current problems of America, then you are sadly mistaken. I have no faith in either one because they are clearly wrapped up in corruption and power preservation.

And this thread is nothing but finger-pointing and is devolving into piling on with the usual CR name calling.

All of you need to look in the mirror.

My opinions don’t matter anyway.

• Drool 1

On 8/25/2023 at 9:09 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Which is he?  Senile or master criminal mind?  Why can you all never decide?

Stay with me here. What if his particular type of dementia leaves him a drooling, mumbling mess when it comes to matters concerning the foreign and domestic affairs of the country, yet fires a part of his brain that lets him

orchestrate and keep hidden a massive conspiracy with China and Ukraine to traffic children for sex and adrenochrome harvesting, taking 10% off the top 

use Soros money to turn the rest of our children into transgender sex addicts

sabotage the southern border policy to allow job-stealing immigrants, middle eastern terrorists, and fen-ta-nol distributors to flood our country and

leaves him with the ability to make witty off the cuff remarks to reporters and citizens he interacts with, but

makes him super sensitive to sunlight and gives him an irresistible craving for ice cream cones.

To wit

image.thumb.jpeg.1f58d550f35c80a3af3d248bfaa27024.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

KoolAid is a terrible drug….especially when both “sides are chugging it. 
Sam Clemens was correct about Congress.

carry on though, I don’t have that much time to worry about those people.

one side tried to violently stop the peaceful transfer of power after their attempts to send fake electors to cast ballots that ignored the will of the people failed.

since "both sides", this should be an easy exercise: share with us what the democratic party has done to harm our democracy. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

one side tried to violently stop the peaceful transfer of power after their attempts to send fake electors to cast ballots that ignored the will of the people failed.

since "both sides", this should be an easy exercise: share with us what the democratic party has done to harm our democracy. 

1 - Yeah yeah, Most of us know that and he and his minions shouldn’t be allowed to slide like Aaron Burr did. Lock’em up.

2 - $32,000,000,000,000 in debt and triple that in unfunded  mandates, with no end in sight. That’s the goddamned elephant in the room that will be ignored by too many.

Over & out. 

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

1 - Yeah yeah, Most of us know that and he and his minions shouldn’t be allowed to slide like Aaron Burr did. Lock’em up.

2 - $32,000,000,000,000 in debt and triple that in unfunded  mandates, with no end in sight. That’s the goddamned elephant in the room that will be ignored by too many.

Over & out. 

just so I understand, you're blaming the Democractic party for our national debt. Is that correct?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Definitely don’t want to cloakroom this thread, but one of the biggest misconceptions is that Democrats are responsible for the majority of the explosion in the federal debt. Go back and look at federal debt expansion by administration from Reagan’s first term until now. You may be surprised at what you see. If that is really your number one priority, you have been backing the wrong horse 

Don’t judge them by what they do. Judge them by what they say!

17 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Definitely don’t want to cloakroom this thread, but one of the biggest misconceptions is that Democrats are responsible for the majority of the explosion in the federal debt. Go back and look at federal debt expansion by administration from Reagan’s first term until now. You may be surprised at what you see. If that is really your number one priority, you have been backing the wrong horse 

Et tu, Brute?

Don’t look look at who signs the spending bills, look at who in Congress creates and passes that legislation….. the way the constitution mandates. Most of the weight is on the latter.

I do not back any of the current nags.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Both parties spend too much, and yes, Democrats want to spend more than Republicans.  Of course, Democrats also want to raise revenue to pay for spending.  Republicans want to spend too much and not have taxes, either.  And of course that does sound great in theory - I want low taxes, too - but ultimately it’s like being the kid who runs for class president promising ice cream for lunch and recess every period.  

You are correct.

30 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

just so I understand, you're blaming the Democractic party for our national debt. Is that correct?

Who do you think embraced the love for deficits & debt since WW2? 
Which party do you think controlled Congress  when WJC claimed he had balanced the budget?

Not that they soon forgot the concept of fiscal responsibility when W came along, then betrayed their “values” ever since.

Today all of them are like the $30k millionaire who buys an $80,000 pickup with a 7 year note.

• Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

Who do you think embraced the love for deficits & debt since WW2? 
Which party do you think controlled Congress  when WJC claimed he had balanced the budget?

Not that they soon forgot the concept of fiscal responsibility when W came along, then betrayed their “values” ever since.

Today all of them are like the $30k millionaire who buys an $80,000 pickup with a 7 year note.

you've had your fiber because that was a gigantic pile of shit for a post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Drool 1

The KoolAid is stronger than I thought.

De Nile runneth over.

Our national debt is A MASSIVE FUCKING PROBLEM.

But back to the issue of subverting our democracy and attempting to override the will of the people through criminal acts and then violence...can you point to the things that Democratic party have done to destroy this grand experiment?

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Our national debt is A MASSIVE FUCKING PROBLEM.

But back to the issue of subverting our democracy and attempting to override the will of the people through criminal acts and then violence...can you point to the things that Democratic party have done to destroy this grand experiment?

Brat has probably sent his grandkids like 25 emails this year alone with a subject line “FWD FWD FWD FWD FWD FWD FWD FWD:” about some combination of Hunter’s laptop, Hillary’s emails, Obama’s birth certificate and/or tan suit, or whatever else they are currently spoon feeding the masses.  Probably not asking the right guy. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Et tu, Brute?

Don’t look look at who signs the spending bills, look at who in Congress creates and passes that legislation….. the way the constitution mandates. Most of the weight is on the latter.

I do not back any of the current nags.

You are correct.

You want to remind me of all the budget bills that dem congresses passed over republican presidents’ vetoes?

I’ll hang up and listen

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Democrats want to spend more than Republicans.

That’s incorrect. Republicans want to spend as much as Democrats do. More so, judging by their penchant for record deficits and debt. Only one president balanced the budget in my adult lifetime and it wasn’t a Republican. The Republicans want to spend at least as much as the Democrats do. They just don’t want to pay for it. That’s the difference. Fiscal responsibility my ass. That’s a myth.

”Reagan proved deficits don’t matter.”  - Dick Cheney, 2002

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1