2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

On 1/29/2024 at 11:52 AM, Hookem2147 said:

So apparently Santos is out for the season with an injury. He is on the roster though.

So Storm is the only portal guy we will get contributions from this year if you don't include the two JUCO pitchers. Brutal luck with Mercer, Rigney and Santos.

IMG_6128.thumb.png.4599a2e59d65619c676528ffc7b60273.png

• Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I see the real UT is at #8.

There are hundreds of universities yet only 26 letters. A few might have to start with the same letter. It's a lot to get your head around but think about it a bit.

• Haha 1

Damnit man. Running through lineups in my head we could see now and every one is missing a middle of the order bat that would be Storm.

There is some pressure now on a guy like Flores to be ready to hit 5th or 6th. Gasparino probably won’t be able to dip his toe in the water either.

Edited by Hookem2147

Thomas 1B, Powell 3B, Gasparino RF, Brown LF, SS Flores, 2B O'Dowd, DH Sanders/Belyeu, C Galvan, CF Farmer

That is my lineup prediction. Not sure they would go 3 consecutive lefties at the top of the order so had to find someone to put between them. 

Edited by Hookem2147

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Thomas 1B, Powell 3B, Gasparino RF, Brown LF, SS Flores, 2B O'Dowd, DH Sanders/Belyeu, C Galvan, CF Farmer

That is my lineup prediction. Not sure they would go 3 consecutive lefties at the top of the order so had to find someone to put between them. 

Are Werchan and Cummings not expected to be in the everyday lineup?

8 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Are Werchan and Cummings not expected to be in the everyday lineup?

I think Werchan is ahead of Cummings in the pecking order but both may profile more to LF/RF than CF defensively. 

I bet Werchan sees some AB's early in the season.

13 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Anyone have more info on this???

(besides it sucking)

The only thing Bobby Burton mentioned today on OTF was that it was personal and not medical related. 

We should probably leave it at that and wish him the best. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

What a big bag of suck.

Texas had such an amazing fall with a volleyball title and making the CFP. 

Then the season changed and we lost to Washington, lost Rori Harmon to an ACL injury in what should have been a Final Four season for WBB, MBB is falling apart and we lost all 4 baseball transfers.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Texas had such an amazing fall with a volleyball title and making the CFP. 

Then the season changed and we lost to Washington, lost Rori Harmon to an ACL injury in what should have been a Final Four season for WBB, MBB is falling apart and we lost all 4 baseball transfers.

Yeah, I'm tempering my expectations for baseball.

This team should still be good, and I'm excited to watch the young talent grow and develop, but what a preseason gut punch it has been to lose a true impact closer and a big power bat before the season has even begun. Witt being back to even 80% of his pre-injury self and making an impact on Saturday or Sunday would be huge for this team.

Hopefully, a JUCO/freshman pitcher or two will emerge in the bullpen or as a weekday starter as the season progresses. However, the outfield is littered with young guys with big potential.

Edited by MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, I'm tempering my expectations for baseball.

This team should still be good, and I'm excited to watch the young talent grow and develop, but what a preseason gut punch it has been to lose a true impact closer and a big power bat before the season has even begun. Witt being back to even 80% of his pre-injury self and making an impact on Saturday or Sunday would be huge for this team.

Hopefully, a JUCO/freshman pitcher or two will emerge in the bullpen or as a weekday starter as the season progresses. However, the outfield is littered with young guys with big potential.

This team should be competing at the top of the conference and be in a position to make a super-regional. Pretty much all you can ask for every year. Sometimes the ball takes a funny bounce (or gets lost in the lights) in the postseason that is out of your control.

You are right though, this is one of the better freshman classes we've had in a while and it will interesting to watch them grow. We are starting to get a different type of athlete to campus compared to some of our previous teams. Think I saw something the other day that we have 6 guys listed at over 6'5 on the roster.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

This team should be competing at the top of the conference and be in a position to make a super-regional. Pretty much all you can ask for every year. Sometimes the ball takes a funny bounce (or gets lost in the lights) in the postseason that is out of your control.

You are right though, this is one of the better freshman classes we've had in a while and it will interesting to watch them grow. We are starting to get a different type of athlete to campus compared to some of our previous teams. Think I saw something the other day that we have 6 guys listed at over 6'5 on the roster.

Bolded: too soon...

Oh, for sure those results are attainable. There will be growing pains (as there usually are), and with the amount of youthful talent on this roster, that's almost certain to be true. That's all I was meaning to say.

Edited by MuellerHorn

11 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Oh, for sure those results are attainable. There will be growing pains (as there usually are), and with the amount of youthful talent on this roster, that's almost certain to be true. That's all I was meaning to say.

100%. This is also a much more challenging schedule than we've seen in some previous seasons. The extra conference games mean the layup weekends against the Manhattan-type teams disappear. We finished with a top 25 SOS last year but should be easily inside the top 20 this year. It should give us more wiggle room than the standard 'you need to win 40 games to host' argument.

Edited by Hookem2147

That is tough luck about Storm. 

Regarding the comment above about Cummings being behind Werchan in the pecking order, I thought Cummings had a lot of hype coming in.  I don't think Werchan's stats were particularly good even for the Ivy League.  If Cummings really is behind Werchan, that is pretty far down in the pecking order for playing time.  Having two freshman in the outfield (Gasparino and Farmer) might not help for a good start to the season.  Time will tell.

15 minutes ago, .45s said:

That is tough luck about Storm. 

Regarding the comment above about Cummings being behind Werchan in the pecking order, I thought Cummings had a lot of hype coming in.  I don't think Werchan's stats were particularly good even for the Ivy League.  If Cummings really is behind Werchan, that is pretty far down in the pecking order for playing time.  Having two freshman in the outfield (Gasparino and Farmer) might not help for a good start to the season.  Time will tell.

D1 ball is just a different animal compared to many JUCO levels. I still think there is an unknown factor with Cummings at this level compared to Werchan who has 350+ career AB's even if it was the Ivy League. And as I said, I don't think either him or Werchan is a CF for a team like Texas so that puts them behind the eight ball because both our corner OF spots are pretty much locked in.

Werchan is also a big culture guy. Walk-on who flies around with reckless abandon. Just does a lot of the little things.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yep. My yearly expectations are to win the conference and host. 

37 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

It’ll be like every David Pierce year. Start off 11-10 or whatever with some wtf ass beatings. Then end up 40-21 or so with an insane record at home. 

30 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

D1 ball is just a different animal compared to many JUCO levels. I still think there is an unknown factor with Cummings at this level compared to Werchan who has 350+ career AB's even if it was the Ivy League. And as I said, I don't think either him or Werchan is a CF for a team like Texas so that puts them behind the eight ball because both our corner OF spots are pretty much locked in.

Werchan is also a big culture guy. Walk-on who flies around with reckless abandon. Just does a lot of the little things.

Gotcha about D1 and JUCO.  Here's hoping our JUCO guys can bring some of the Ivan Melendez JUCO mojo with them.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

It’ll be like every David Pierce year. Start off 11-10 or whatever with some wtf ass beatings. Then end up 40-21 or so with an insane record at home. 

The pitching may be bumpy at the beginning so the wtf games this year are automatic at this point. Can’t wait! 

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Levi said:

The pitching may be bumpy at the beginning so the wtf games this year are automatic at this point. Can’t wait! 

I’ve gotten used to it. As much as I love the Augie way of coming out of the gate 16-1 on our way to a 50something win season. I won’t happily, but I’ll take the Pierce marathon not a sprint approach. Just win the conference and host

On 1/30/2024 at 6:23 PM, Hookem2147 said:

I would definitely shift Thomas back to 1B now and roll with Tommy Farmer in CF to start the season. Nik Sanders could be another option at 1B but the defense is a question mark. Might be better suited for DH to ease him in.

Remember Moneyball?  First baseman ain’t all that important….if they can get on base.

17 hours ago, Fletch said:

Can't wait for the football board rubes to be in here telling us how much he sucks

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Really weird. And I hope it doesn’t sour Pierce on transfers. Maybe do a little more due diligence on the mid year ones to make sure they won’t flake on you 

was he a grad transfer or a normal transfer?

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

was he a grad transfer or a normal transfer?

Grad. That's why he stayed at Duke through the fall semester. He had one semester left.

I don't think Pierce has any issue with the portal. I'm sure he sees how having a Mike Antico or Skyler Messinger or Porter Brown or Garret Guillemette can change a team. Hasn't had to lean into it as heavily on the pitching side and we've been fortunate to have success developing some of our own guys, but a Charlie Hurley and David Shaw were at least solid contributors at a minimum.

Edited by Hookem2147