2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

49 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Texas Sports Unfiltered. It is a continuous livestream, so you might have to back up the video quite a bit. It was with Brad Kellner & Bucky Godbolt at around 9:30 this morning.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, txhorns said:

We need to be below 3.00 or shut the program down.

The last two seasons we were over 4.00.  It has been a couple of years since we had a team ERA of under 3, but we did have it in '20 and '21.

25 minutes ago, .45s said:

The last two seasons we were over 4.00.  It has been a couple of years since we had a team ERA of under 3, but we did have it in '20 and '21.

Under 3 or we shut down the program and execute Pierce on the pitching mound using a guillotine.

• Hook 'Em 3

Single-Game Tickets On Sale February 12
Season Tickets for the 2024 season are sold out!  A limited amount of single-game tickets will be available for purchase for select games beginning Monday, February 12 at 10 a.m. Central.  Tickets can be purchased online at TexasSports.com/tickets. 

https://texassports.com/news/2024/1/29/baseball-alumni-game-and-fan-appreciation-day-set-for-february-3.aspx

Vidgo finally made their decision to suspend service until further notice (to include tv everywhere). Only reason I stuck with Vidgo so long is LHN. Anybody recommend a streaming tv service provider for LHN? Hate to miss weekly baseball games till SEC takes off in July......thanks.

1 hour ago, Luv2win said:

Vidgo finally made their decision to suspend service until further notice (to include tv everywhere). Only reason I stuck with Vidgo so long is LHN. Anybody recommend a streaming tv service provider for LHN? Hate to miss weekly baseball games till SEC takes off in July......thanks.

sling

So apparently it is not a lock that Witt will open the year as a starter. Seem to be toying around with the idea of potentially using him out of the bullpen.

I did think it was interesting that he didn't throw/start in the alumni game in what you would think is his typical throwing day (Saturday) if he was a starter. 

I saw where the preseason WCC poll came out, and San Diego was picked to finish 2nd with a handful of first-place votes. Should be a good test to open the season.

2024 WCC BASEBALL COACHES PRESEASON POLL
1. Santa Clara - 58 points (5)
2. San Diego - 54 points (3)
    Portland – 54 points (1)
4. LMU – 38 points
    Saint Mary's – 38 points
6. Gonzaga – 37 points
7. Pepperdine – 19 points
8. San Francisco – 16 points
9. Pacific – 10 points

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So apparently it is not a lock that Witt will open the year as a starter. Seem to be toying around with the idea of potentially using him out of the bullpen.

I did think it was interesting that he didn't throw/start in the alumni game in what you would think is his typical throwing day (Saturday) if he was a starter. 

Not to be a downer, but that can’t be a good sign, right?

Alternatives:

1. The BP needs work, they feel Witt can provide help to begin the season. 

2. Witt isn’t ready to pitch a SP’s pitch count. Bring him back slowly through the BP.

3. They don’t trust his stuff (at this point) to be a starter. 

4. Someone besides LBJ and Hurley is showing promise. 

5. Some combination of the above. 

If Witt starts in the BP and the intent is to work him back as a SP, I’d assume he is a middle reliever. However, maybe he gets a look at closer?

Just spitballing. I’m probably off on all of this. 

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

Alternatives:

2. Witt isn’t ready to pitch a SP’s pitch count. Bring him back slowly through the BP.

If Witt starts in the BP and the intent is to work him back as a SP, I’d assume he is a middle reliever. However, maybe he gets a look at closer?

I like the idea of witt as the Sunday starter.  Having said that, In David Pierce I trust.

9 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Alternatives:

It’s probably some combo of everything you mentioned, but we are guessing because no one has seen the guy throw since last July in the Cape Cod league.

Maybe they want him to fill a bullpen void until someone like Luke Harrison is back? Maybe they would rather build him up from the bullpen than risk running them out there as a starter and experiencing early struggles?

The other unknown in this is the 3 freshman arms we’ve barely seen throw in live settings. I’ve heard Easton Tumis has been up to 95 and will be a good one, but is that as a starter or reliever this year? 

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Did you hear that about Witt somewhere?  It might not be a bad idea to use him some in the bullpen to see how his innings go, but in the last interview Pierce did say he was hitting 93 some.  Not far from where he was as a freshman, but he is also a pretty good control pitcher when he is on.  LBJ didn't pitch in the alumni game either and we only use a total of 7 pitchers in the game and Shaw pitched an inning for both sides.

6 minutes ago, .45s said:

Did you hear that about Witt somewhere?  It might not be a bad idea to use him some in the bullpen to see how his innings go, but in the last interview Pierce did say he was hitting 93 some.  Not far from where he was as a freshman, but he is also a pretty good control pitcher when he is on.  LBJ didn't pitch in the alumni game either and we only use a total of 7 pitchers in the game and Shaw pitched an inning for both sides.

Yes. I just heard it wasn't final but was being discussed. They like where Hurley is at, and I think I even suggested a while back that maybe they start Witt out on Sundays in case he has a blowup outing. Easier for the bullpen to absorb. Never crossed my mind that he wouldn't open in the rotation at all.

They typically try to get these starters on a routine leading up to the season to where they are throwing heavy on days they will start, so I'm not shocked that LBJ didn't throw in the Alumni game. He probably threw the day before in some capacity. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well that seems not great.