2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

17 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Has to be. Was topping out at 85, got a strange mound visit, hasn’t been seen since I believe 

I also believe Chase Lummus has to be dealing with something as he has been in the dugout every game but has never made his way down to the bullpen.

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I also believe Chase Lummus has to be dealing with something as he has been in the dugout every game but has never made his way down to the bullpen.

He was someone I was excited to see get an opportunity this year.

15 hours ago, BarthHollamew said:

Pardon me please if I missed this earlier in the thread, but is Ace dealing with an injury?  

forgot about him, he was a swiss army knife for us last year.  One of our only 2 way players

Edited by jdhorn92

12 minutes ago, torre said:

Witt: "He threw an incredible inning last night. It looked like down angle, ball jumping, up to 93-94. That was the most encouraging outing he has had. We'll see how he recovers and we'll build off of that. I think too, people look at it, a guy has surgery, 14 months. He's going to be ready. He's going to be better. Some guys are slower than others. Some guys, it just takes a little more time. Hopefully it's starting to together for him. He's worked really hard at it."

O'Dowd & Brown: "They're going to have to keep working and understand we're trying to win games at the same time. And so, we have some good young players that can fill in here or there."

Thoughts:

1. Pierce sounded really encouraged by Witt's performance.

2. While he was supportive of both O'Dowd and Brown, I liked that he started with a qualifier that he wants to win.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Futrell shoved it up our rear end in Arlington last year. Would be nice to get some payback. What a helpless feeling that was watching that team to start last year.

That game against Vandy was maybe the worst game I've ever seen a Texas team play.  

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Horny Bull said:

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Futrell shoved it up our rear end in Arlington last year. Would be nice to get some payback. What a helpless feeling that was watching that team to start last year.

6 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

That game against Vandy was maybe the worst game I've ever seen a Texas team play.  

Lefty starters with low ERAs have been our kryptonite lately. Granted, that’s true for a lot of teams, but they often make Texas look like little leaguers at the plate. 

I really do like our weekend rotation. LBJ is AA caliber obviously but Hurley can be dominant when he keeps the ball down. Howard pounds the strike zone which makes him way better than most Sunday guys. We can certainly win a lot of series with those guys

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Lefty starters with low E;1RAs have been our kryptonite lately. Granted, that’s true for a lot of teams, but they often make Texas look like little leaguers at the plate. 

Gage Jump,  LSU's lefty starter was taken out after 2.1 inn vs N. Illinois on the 22nd.   Didn't appear to be performance related,  so maybe possible injury or tweak.    Suppose LSU is trying to determine if Gage is ready against our LH lineup or go with Luke Holman or Thatcher Hurd (not off to a good start).   Or they could have someone waiting in the wings.

Regardless,  this is a key non conf RPI game for LSU moreso than us.   LSU playing Texas St and ULL is not the same.   Watched a couple innings of the Rice/LSU game.   Small sample size,  but they don't look as clean as they did last year.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, torre said:

Gage Jump,  LSU's lefty starter was taken out after 2.1 inn vs N. Illinois on the 22nd.   Didn't appear to be performance related,  so maybe possible injury or tweak.    Suppose LSU is trying to determine if Gage is ready against our LH lineup or go with Luke Holman or Thatcher Hurd (not off to a good start).   Or they could have someone waiting in the wings.

Regardless,  this is a key non conf RPI game for LSU moreso than us.   LSU playing Texas St and ULL is not the same.   Watched a couple innings of the Rice/LSU game.   Small sample size,  but they don't look as clean as they did last year.

I think Jump started last week because they were playing Thursday and didn’t want to bump up another starter. Hurd started their first two Friday games but got hit around in both like you said.

Twitter is saying Holman is starting tomorrow. He is their most talented starter imo. I’m sure Jump or Ackenhausen will be first out of the pen.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

I really do like our weekend rotation. LBJ is AA caliber obviously but Hurley can be dominant when he keeps the ball down. Howard pounds the strike zone which makes him way better than most Sunday guys. We can certainly win a lot of series with those guys

This years rotation probably has the least hype we've had for starters in awhile, but damn if they aren't looking good so far. The lack of hype could work in our favor. Bullpen is looking stronger than I can remember. I'm pretty fuckin stoked about our staff so far. If Witt can contribute then that's just icing on the cake. 

We've also got some dudes raking but seemingly staying under the radar. I like it. We could possibly wreck some shit this weekend and have people talking. 

But then again... could see some of the old bad shit show up again. We shall see - but I have a good feeling. 

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

This years rotation probably has the least hype we've had for starters in awhile, but damn if they aren't looking good so far. The lack of hype could work in our favor. Bullpen is looking stronger than I can remember. I'm pretty fuckin stoked about our staff so far. If Witt can contribute then that's just icing on the cake. 

We've also got some dudes raking but seemingly staying under the radar. I like it. We could possibly wreck some shit this weekend and have people talking. 

But then again... could see some of the old bad shit show up again. We shall see - but I have a good feeling. 

There weren’t a lot of people thrilled last year when we headed into the season last year with Gordon/Morehouse/Sthele as our rotation. Then for the second straight year Pierce had to move a starter to the bullpen a few months in to take over the closer role (Tristan Stevens, Morehouse). I don’t see us having that issue this year unless things really fly off the tracks.

One thing I appreciate is we have routinely had guys step up into the #1 starter role. From Elder to Madden to Hansen to Gordon to LBJ. We’ve had quite a run.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There weren’t a lot of people thrilled last year when we headed into the season last year with Gordon/Morehouse/Sthele as our rotation. Then for the second straight year Pierce had to move a starter to the bullpen a few months in to take over the closer role (Tristan Stevens, Morehouse). I don’t see us having that issue this year unless things really fly off the tracks.

One thing I appreciate is we have routinely had guys step up into the #1 starter role. From Elder to Madden to Hansen to Gordon to LBJ. We’ve had quite a run.

I think last year everyone was super focused on Gordon being a super ace like we've had so many of over the years. This year seems like we all have a lot of faith in LBJ but haven't put the pressure on him as much, which is a good thing. You're right though - how soon I forget how little hype our starters had last year outside of Gordon. 

I feel that this team is light years ahead of any other team in the past few years at this point in the season. We all bitch about pierce starting slow and getting stronger. So far there hasn’t been a lot of drama. This weekend will be telling for sure. 

12 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

I feel that this team is light years ahead of any other team in the past few years at this point in the season. We all bitch about pierce starting slow and getting stronger. So far there hasn’t been a lot of drama. This weekend will be telling for sure. 

I’d probably take the 2022 team over this one, especially before the Witt scratch in Houston. We were undefeated. Pete had just out-dueled Burns. Stevens had an elite start vs LSU. Witt was 2-0 

I said it before, but the Houston/Arlington split plays so much into how non-conference Feb/March is perceived. In even years, we get a few weekends to get in a groove and February feels great. Odd years we get thrashed opening weekend and it makes Pierce look like a genius when the team figures it out down the line. 

Posted (edited)

These games are often meaningless in terms of the outcome because baseball is so fluid.

Like to see Pierce try this at the top.

1. Thomas

2. Kennedy

3. Powell

4. Flores

5. Schuessler/Galvan

Slot Porter Brown at 6, Belyeu at 7, Gasparino at 9 and 8 is just dependent on who DHs that day. Would be a really nice development if Borba could capably play 1B.

I know the outfield is crowded but Casey Cummings is someone I was hoping would see more opportunities by this point.

Edited by chase25

19 minutes ago, chase25 said:

These games are often meaningless in terms of the outcome because baseball is so fluid.

Like to see Pierce try this at the top.

1. Thomas

2. Kennedy

3. Powell

4. Flores

5. Schuessler/Galvan

Slot Porter Brown at 6, Belyeu at 7, Gasparino at 9 and 8 is just dependent on who DHs that day. Would be a really nice development if Borba could capably play 1B.

I know the outfield is crowded but Casey Cummings is someone I was hoping would see more opportunities by this point.

I’m definitely not against this idea against a lefty starter, which we’ll see Saturday and Sunday. Against righties maybe you slide up Brown to 5 to go L-R-L-R-L at the top.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m definitely not against this idea against a lefty starter, which we’ll see Saturday and Sunday. Against righties maybe you slide up Brown to 5 to go L-R-L-R-L at the top.

Was just trying to knock Porter down as far as possible until he figures it out. I’d like to see Pierce give Casey a full game either Saturday or Sunday. If Porter figures it out at the plate again I’d slot him at 5 regardless of matchup but right now we are getting the guy TCU was comfortable letting transfer.

We’ll likely get swept this weekend, but some semi-encouraging things happened.

Witt throwing 93-94 with some success is huge.  If we can get him back to form by being a 1-A/1-B with LBJ, then we can slot everyone else down a notch in the pitching order. 

Also, maybe the homer gets Porter Brown back on track. He’s a proven guy that should be one of our top 3 hitters. Campbell was ice cold last year until after this god-foresaken tournament, so a red-hot Brown the rest of the year would give us 4 very good hitters in a row. 

Speaking of homers, maybe JOD’s homer will get him back to being an above-average/serviceable bat in our lineup. I also have hope for Galvan and Belyeu along with the Freshmen Gasparino/Borba/Kennedy all improving throughout the year to make this lineup pretty tough and deep by April/May. 

Not ideal to have to “hope” for about 4 things to happen to be a “contender”, but it’s all possible.  And of course if it doesn’t come together and we fall flat on our face, then fire Pierce!

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why do we continue to go to this thing in Houston if we shit the bed there and seems like weee disinterested 

Funny how the 2nd always goes along with the 1st for so many posters

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2024 at 3:22 PM, chase25 said:

Was just trying to knock Porter down as far as possible until he figures it out. I’d like to see Pierce give Casey a full game either Saturday or Sunday. If Porter figures it out at the plate again I’d slot him at 5 regardless of matchup but right now we are getting the guy TCU was comfortable letting transfer.

Porter Brown was a riddle for the Frogs as well.  Story was that he was a Premed major and studied his ass off while classes were in session, to the detriment of his onfield performance.  Once the semester was over and he could focus on baseball, he was an allstar.  Tale of two Players for sure.  I think I saw that he has changed majors now...

Edited by TCU Alum
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TCU Alum said:

Porter Brown was a riddle for the Frogs as well.  Story was that he was a Premed major and studied his ass off while classes were in session, to the detriment of his onfield performance.

Well, that's not gonna fly.  Can't have our athletes playing school.

• Haha 1

Welp, this weekend was a wake up call for both coaches and players. One consistent aspect of Pierce’s teams, except for 2019 when they simply were not good, is their ability to navigate fork-in-the-road moments and typically find ways to win. Hopefully they don’t continue a downward trajectory after an objectively bad weekend, and we see a different team come Tuesday and into conference play. 

The sun will come up tomorrow. We will either find a way like we’ve shown in past years or it will be clear what needs to be done. The gray area was eliminated with the staff restructures the last two years.

We’ll see what happens.

• Like 1