Best Salsa: Your taste buds are fucked if you do not agree with these fine ladies.

Enemy07

For ease of reference, here's the recipe from the video (with some modifications like using a blender)

Lucy’s recipe:

Salsa de Molcajete

Ingredients:

6 chile serranos

2 habanero chiles (or jalapenos).  Recipe calls for 4, but it’s pretty hot.  The next day, it's a bit milder.  So maybe stick to 4.  I used jalapenos.

2 roma tomatoes

3 tomatillos

½ white onion

3 garlic heads

1 tsp salt (or more to taste)

½ tsp black pepper

¼ cup cold water

Instructions:

Peel off the paper layers of the garlic and onion, and 3 tomatillos

Remove the stem of the chili serranos, 4 habanero chiles.

Cut ½ of the white onion into 4 pieces.

Roast all of the 6 chile serranos, 4 Habanero chiles, 2 roma tomatoes, 3 tomatillos, 4 pieces of the ½ of the white onion and 3 garlic heads in a hot comal until they’re darkly roasted. (About 12 minutes total under the broiler on a sheet pan). Make sure to flip them over on all their sides. The garlic, and the tomatillos will roast faster so put aside when you see them roasted. Keep roasting the larger ingredients until they’re darkly roasted.

Put in food processor or blender.  Add ¼ tsp black pepper, ¼ cup cold water and 1 tsp salt to the ingredients.  Blend on medium until it reaches desired consistency. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

That would be hot af if you actually used habeneros.  I know garlic flavor is tamed down when roasted, but 3 heads still seems like it's a typo for that volume of salsa.

Yes on the habaneros!  I was leery of that much garlic, but I can barely taste it.  That might have to do with how much was lost to my trying to get the inner cloves peeled after roasting and the several that I ate along the way.

I just tried some this morning after it sat in the refrigerator overnight.  The heat is more subdued now.  It's still plenty for me though.

It's a really solid recipe.  Thanks, Lucy!

Edited by dcbc

There's a local-ish Mexican place that serves a secret 'martajada' salsa that I fell in love with a few years ago. I spent months trying to perfect it and got pretty close. It's a little bit sour, relies heavily on tomatillos. And of course I made mine much hotter. Very good stuff. Here's the recipe:

About 6 roma tomatoes
Tomatillos (you want the volume of the romas:tomatillos to be about 2.5:1 or 3:1)
About 1/4 of a big ass red onion
A couple of small garlic cloves (or one big one)
2-4 serrano peppers (depending on how much heat you like)
1/2 - 1 orange habanero (depending on how much heat you like)
1 lime
Salt

Grill all of it, but the lime and the salt. Get it black. Get it to the point where you will be able to smash it without a blender. 

mortar and pestle. 

Add juice of lime. Add about 1 tbsp of salt. Or less or more. Stir.

Pour in blender. Pulse. Just 2-3x. Don't want it too thin.

Pour in bowl/pitcher. Chill for a few hours. Mix. 
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lucy's recipe is legit.  Holy hell, it is hot.  I omitted one habanero and 1 serrano (sorry Lucy) and it is still hot.  Perfect for me.  I had the same experience with the garlic.  I roasted 3 heads and tried to squeeze as much in there as I could.  The flavor is outstanding.

I misread tsp of salt to be tbsp.  It needed the extra salt.

Edited by tigol
  • Hook 'Em 1

I finally made a red table salsa that competes with what I can get at good restaurants.  It couldn't have been simpler, I'm not quite sure why I've struggled with this for years.

I took 4 tomatoes (2 Roma, 2 hot house, about 1.25 lbs total), one yellow onion (quartered), and one large jalapeno (stemmed but not seeded) and roasted them at 400 F for 20 minutes.  I combined them with two cloves garlic, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and the juice of half a lime in a blender and pureed it.  Stupid simple, and fantastic.  A little spicy with big flavor.  The roasting is the part I've missed all along -- I saw a guy do it in some South Texas joint on the Food Network, so I tried it.  It seems to make the difference.

It's about a 3 cup batch, costs about half of what jarred supermarket salsa goes for, and tastes much better.  For one thing, no vinegar.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

If you’re in Houston this is the best jarred from a company I’ve ever had. But I don’t think they sell at any big stores. 

https://chilesquiles.com

I also made one today myself. 
3 lbs fresh tomatoes (not Roma)

3 jalapeños 

6-8 cloves of garlic

1 white onion. 

fire roast the tomatoes, onions, and japs for 20 minutes. Toss in a blender. Then roast the garlic. Toss it in. Blend with a head of cilantro, salt, any other spice you want to add. I added a shot of Serrano vinegar we got from an olive oil place.

made 2 big jars.  

IMG_1849.jpeg

IMG_1850.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think @SydneyCarton's ratio of one jalapeno per pound of tomatoes is probably about right. I was a little less than half that amount, and over the last few hours my batch has gotten more mild.  Of course, pepper heat can vary quite a bit, too.

In my experience heat does generally subside. I also made a Chile De arbol table sauce another poster suggested somewhere else in this site this weekend too, and it was phenomenal. But it also went from very hot to mild overnight.

fun fact I thought about throwing some Arbols in the batch of salsa above, just because I have a million now. Threw them into the oven with the garlic. TIL that one minute in an oven on broil will turn a dehydrated Chile de arbol to ash. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, tigol said:

Now I'm trying the 2nd recipe, but I'm smoking the veggies and peppers.  I'll report back.

If you already have your smoker going, I highly recommend throwing your veggies on.  The garlic and onions soak up the smoke flavor nicely.  I smoked mine at 250 for a little over an hour.  It added a nice smokey sweetness to the heat, but that salsa is still hotter than fire.  I love it!  I froze a couple of batches back.

The best avocado salsa I've ever made... but then it's Rick Bayless. Put it on some chicken tacos I made with grilled chicken. Putting them in blue corn tortillas from the bakery that just won the James Beard award for the best bakery in America didn't hurt.

I've asked this before, but how can two brothers be so opposite. This is the non-asshole one. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtmZH0kgNKD/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 7:43 AM, bluto said:

Friend of mine looked into starting a salsa line for commercial/retail sale, meeting fda standards (and just general preserving) and keeping the recipe as close to ‘authentic’ as possible along with finding a processor was an absolute m-fer that killed the idea. Shit was really good salsa too. 

I know a guy who did this.  His primary product is bloody mary mix, but he does salsa as well.  His daughter is a friend of my sister.  My sister did a bulk buy and stuffed everyone’s stockings for a couple of years.  Shit’s good but a bit on the spendy side.  He is local to dfw and I tried to find a web presence to post here, but was unsuccessful.  He’ll deliver if you spend more than $20, and by deliver I mean he drops it off on your front porch himself.

I picked up a jalapeno sauce (it's not really a salsa) recipe off Surly a few years ago.  I can't recall offhand which poster shared it, but whoever it was I tip my hat to him.  I've made it a bunch of times.  It's good and incredibly easy.  

6 jalapenos  (I sometimes substitute a habanero for one of the japs to kick up the heat, but I like it spicy)
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
Handful of cilantro
1 tsp kosher salt (original recipe called for a half teaspoon)

Boil peppers and peeled garlic for 20 minutes
Then take and put them in ice water to cool off.
Once cool, cut stems off peppers and put them, garlic cloves, oil , cilantro (stems and leaves), and salt in blender.
Liquefy.

Profit

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I picked up a jalapeno sauce (it's not really a salsa) recipe off Surly a few years ago.  I can't recall offhand which poster shared it, but whoever it was I tip my hat to him.  I've made it a bunch of times.  It's good and incredibly easy.  

6 jalapenos  (I sometimes substitute a habanero for one of the japs to kick up the heat, but I like it spicy)
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
Handful of cilantro
1 tsp kosher salt (original recipe called for a half teaspoon)

Boil peppers and peeled garlic for 20 minutes
Then take and put them in ice water to cool off.
Once cool, cut stems off peppers and put them, garlic cloves, oil , cilantro (stems and leaves), and salt in blender.
Liquefy.

Profit

I’ve posted this sauce recipe half a dozen times, except I don’t boil them, i broil them. It’s salsa Donna and it’s fucking delicious and I could drink that shit right out of the jar and feel justified. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ve posted this sauce recipe half a dozen times, except I don’t boil them, i broil them. It’s salsa Donna and it’s fucking delicious and I could drink that shit right out of the jar and feel justified. 

I tried broiling the japs once, and it honestly didn't make a huge difference to me.  Maybe I needed to broil them longer than I did.   

If you can't get Tacodeli salsa dona but live near a Trader Joe's, TJ's has a jarred Jalapeno sauce that is similar and good, but this homemade version beats it, IMO.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, RMac5 said:

@dcbc just made the salsa, it’s fantastic! I used one habanero and three japs, and all six serranos. It’s the perfect amount of heat for me. Thanks for posting amigo.

Thanks.  But @Enemy07 posted the video with the recipe attached.  I just made it easier to say.  Glad it turned out well!

• Hook 'Em 1

I love two kinds of red salsas:

1) real-deal fresh stuff from a mexican restaurant, made with fresh tomatoes, peppers, onion, cilantro, and various and sundry other things.

And...

2) Chili's salsa.

Yes, I am aware of the contradiction.  Can't help it, I love me some Chili's salsa.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

I did something similar recently but i cooked the veggies on the grill. It was a wonderful flavor, would recommend.

Fire-roasted veggies are a solid choice.  You can ALSO throw the tomatoes on the smoker, but I learned that you don't want to do it for too long.  A little smoke flavor addition goes a LONG way in a salsa.  Otherwise, it's just a heavily smoked salsa, and the smoke is all you taste.

• Hook 'Em 2

1) real-deal fresh stuff from a mexican restaurant, made with fresh tomatoes, peppers, onion, cilantro, and various and sundry other things.
And...
2) Chili's salsa.
Yes, I am aware of the contradiction.  Can't help it, I love me some Chili's salsa.

I’m a sucker for On The Border salsa but haven’t eaten at one in probably 15 years.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ohchaucer said:

I’m a sucker for On The Border salsa but haven’t eaten at one in probably 15 years.

Same here.  Loved it, but can't remember the last time I went to an OTB (probably because the chips and salsa is about the only reason I'd go).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Same here.  Loved it, but can't remember the last time I went to an OTB (probably because the chips and salsa is about the only reason I'd go).

i can remember, OTB Odessa, Tx, $1 margarita night and our secretary in the midland office set me on a blind date with her hs friend 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And...

2) Chili's salsa.

My wife swears by her 1990s memory of the salsa from the Chili's on S. Lamar.  She said they told her is was something simple like Pace with a whole tomato thrown into the blender with it or some such. 

My wife swears by her 1990s memory of the salsa from the Chili's on S. Lamar.  She said they told her is was something simple like Pace with a whole tomato thrown into the blender with it or some such. 

And sugar.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/15/2023 at 10:41 AM, Da Fino said:

I enjoy that El Gallo squeeze stuff. The green is good on taco's in the morning and afternoon. 

the green is closer in heat to Tacodeli Dona sauce than TJ's is. love it. 

also... for some reason this one says 'mild' but that is a complete and utter lie lol. it's 🔥 and i absolutely love it...20230612_193332.thumb.jpg.5d98bf3035cf25e3c2cb1ac9a090ec03.jpg

i just brought three packs back in my suitcase from Austin 😁

there is literally NO hot salsa in Denver 😝

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/19/2023 at 8:10 PM, Carl Spackler said:

If you can't get Tacodeli salsa dona but live near a Trader Joe's, TJ's has a jarred Jalapeno sauce that is similar and good, but this homemade version beats it, IMO.  

I am not a big TJ fan but their Ghost Pepper Salsa is hot as fuck and pretty good for being store bought.

the green is closer in heat to Tacodeli Dona sauce than TJ's is. love it. 
also... for some reason this one says 'mild' but that is a complete and utter lie lol. it's and i absolutely love it...20230612_193332.thumb.jpg.5d98bf3035cf25e3c2cb1ac9a090ec03.jpg
i just brought three packs back in my suitcase from Austin
there is literally NO hot salsa in Denver

Bullshit. There are Mexicans there. You’re just shopping at the gringo groceries there. Go to one of the carnicerias.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Salsa de Chile Piquin en Molcajete

1 Garlic head 

Salt (Coarse to be ground and amount to taste)

1/2 bunch of cilantro

1/2 onion

6-12 limes (again to taste)

10-40 Chili Piquins

(No tomatoes or stems of cilantro or chile)

You're welcome.

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 2

Taqueria Laredo has been making this stuff for 40 years.

1 minute ago, elfenix said:
On 6/19/2023 at 8:01 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Taqueria Laredo has been making this stuff for 40 years.

There’s a reason that line is out the door and around the building every morning. 

And cumin.

That’s also what’s missing in so many store salsas.

I think because it’s hard to shelf stabilize and the flavor gets bitter as it deteriorates. But not sure.

Huh? Cumin is not a common ingredient. Cilantro yes. Cumin not so much. Not a bad idea. I love cumin. It’s the key to great tomato juice or a Bloody Mary.

• 1 month later...

Toss this in a boiling pot then blend.

5 roma

1/3 cup of chile piquin

3 cloves of garlic

boil the tomato’s and garlic and as tomato's start to peel toss in the chile piquin. Move to blender and blend up 3 tomato’s with garlic and chiles until smooth and then pulse the last two so you get some texture. Add your favorite salt pepper and garlic seasoning. About 2 tablespoons. Lastly add a few sprinkles of knorr caldo de pollo.

less is more with salsa. And this is my go too for salsa. Use chips or toss on some grilled pork chops or breakfast tacos or fajitas. Amazing.