Texas law regarding trespassers

what extent of force can a homeowner use to remove a trespasser from the property?  

- not considering firearms by owner unless the trespasser has a firearm, knife, or other deadly weapon. 

- unarmed trespasser, no knife, no weapon

- can the homeowner, after telling the intruder to leave, push and shove the guy off the property? What about pepper spray or taser, the PS would be my very preferred choice. 

correct answers only please. 

Just now, Upgrayedd said:

If she asked you to leave, you should just go.

it's about door to door salesman aholes, many seem to be just released from correctional facilities.  I wouldn't mind blasting a shotgun into their torso, but alas that's illegal sadly.  Can I pepper spray them? Give them 5 seconds of lead time, if they refuse to vacate? 

22 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

so you don't need 50 subscriptions to Vibe?

are these guys just hanging out after being told no? 

yes, this week i told one to leave after the guy was being damn aggressive, told him he's trespassing. Told him I'm calling the cops, he said "call the cops then" and just stood there even after I closed the door , just to prove his toughness.  Looking out the window, he was there about 30-45 seconds after I closed the door, then walked off.  

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

it's about door to door salesman aholes, many seem to be just released from correctional facilities.  I wouldn't mind blasting a shotgun into their torso, but alas that's illegal sadly.  Can I pepper spray them? Give them 5 seconds of lead time, if they refuse to vacate? 

My late MIL had a German Shepherd that was extremely protective of her and the children, one of whom is now my wife. My FIL would often be on the road for work until 7-8PM, and their house was out in the country.  She'd crack the door and tell people to beat it.  "If you don't leave, I will let the dog out in his yard."

She never had to ask twice.

i get it, in the country, you figure homeowners would have guns too, but nobody ever waited to find out out their fate with the dog.

I had a door to door salesman lose his shit on me when I pointed to the giant no soliciting sign on my door and told him we dont take solicitors an don't appreciate him ignoring the obvious. He bowed up and tried to get in my face like he wanted to fight/push into my house. My dog was at the door so I just opened the door wider and he stopped pretty quick with a growling dog looking at him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

If your general size and demeanor when telling these people to fuck off isn't enough to make them scram I would suggest hitting the weight room. And work on your Dirty Harry voice.

well the dude was twice the size and half my age, so this Neandertal fantasyland won't work.   But seriously, i'd be happy to pepper spray them. 

41 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I had a door to door salesman lose his shit on me when I pointed to the giant no soliciting sign on my door and told him we dont take solicitors an don't appreciate him ignoring the obvious. He bowed up and tried to get in my face like he wanted to fight/push into my house. My dog was at the door so I just opened the door wider and he stopped pretty quick with a growling dog looking at him. 

well that was my scenario, have a no soliciting sign too and pointed out to him, he did the same as your case but I don't have a dog.   

the thing that triggered me was the 5-6 pounding smashes on the front door by this big punk.  The loudest I have ever heard on my front door by far.  So i got upset and confronted the punk. Had he just rung the bell, this wouldn't be a situation.  Just today, a landscaping crew came by, no habla englaaiz, but a few words, I wasn't upset at all, they were polite and respectful.  Easy. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

Are you in Dallas? Because threatening to call the cops would definitely make me laugh too. My recommendation is to either not answer the door or at least let them know someone is inside but they're not interested OR tell them you're a renter. The latter only works for stuff like roofers and insurance salesmen. 

Yesterday morning, doorbell rings at 7:30a and I was still half-asleep.  Nobody, not even the neighbor kids, comes to our door at that hour.  And for a brief moment, I thought about grabbing a weapon.  So I look out at the window and there's two mid-sized Spectrum Cable trucks with baskets and a crew of four with hard hats and the whole deal.  We don't have Spectrum, but I know they still have hardware in the easement in our backyard.  So I decided to make a split-second decision.  Would murderers and thieves take the time to boost two Spectrum trucks just to come to our house in the morning and therefore I should shoot them.  Or are they politely requesting permission to access our backyard to get to the easement and check the elevated lines.  

So good news is my neighbor two doors down had their internet restored.  And I don't have to stand trial for homicide.  All because I made this incredibly clever decision not to open fire on somebody at my front door.  

9 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

As a youngster, I once had a shitty summer job setting up siding/window/roofing estimates door to door. 

Some (not all, certainly) of the people with "No Soliciting" signs were the easiest marks. 

I remember reading that is exactly why they target people with No Soliciting signs. The idea being, if someone has to put that up it's to protect themselves (or a husband fed up with his gullible wife) and that you hit those houses the hardest.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

bad logic

~25-35% of the time, it's ironclad logic. 

And for anyone who is reasonably adroit at interpersonal communication, it doesn't take much time to figure out if the homeowner is a gullible simpleton (keep pressuring) or an antisocial misanthrope (depart graciously).

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s actually pretty well known “no soliciting” signs attract, not deter, door to door salespeople. No idea why people put them up. 

I have seen plenty of people notice it and walk away, so you are wrong, as you are on so many topics. 

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't know if they attract, but they are 100% ignored so it's pointless putting them up.

no, i've seen plenty walk away.  

28 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

~25-35% of the time, it's ironclad logic. 

And for anyone who is reasonably adroit at interpersonal communication, it doesn't take much time to figure out if the homeowner is a gullible simpleton (keep pressuring) or an antisocial misanthrope (depart graciously).

nope, I've seen plenty walk away from the sign.  The homeowner is God on the property, even use of force without lethality, is often justified. Simple truth is the aholes need to leave asap.  I have a small pepper spray but am going to get a big bottle with a longer range and greater dispersal area and guarantee will use it. 

7 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

nope, I've seen plenty walk away from the sign.  The homeowner is God on the property, even use of force without lethality, is often justified. Simple truth is the aholes need to leave asap.  I have a small pepper spray but am going to get a big bottle with a longer range and greater dispersal area and guarantee will use it. 

Let us know how your arrest for assault goes. You can only use reasonable force to remove someone that isn’t a threat from your property. 

Even in texas

11 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Sounds like you have a lot of experience knocking on doors and have it all figured out. 

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Let us know how your arrest for assault goes. You can only use reasonable force to remove someone that isn’t a threat from your property. 

Even in texas

you can use force even if not a threat. I've pushed a couple guys before off the property.  This particular thug was about 300lbs. 

5 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

you can use force even if not a threat. I've pushed a couple guys before off the property.  This particular thug was about 300lbs. 

I feel like you’ve never pushed anyone off your property. Also that’s “reasonable force” in my opinion. Pepper spraying someone for ringing your doorbell is not. 

The Castle Doctrine requires the victim to show that their premise (“castle”) was broken into and/or unlawfully entered and/or that the individual was unlawfully taken from their office, workplace, home or vehicle.

Texas’s Castle Doctrine also states that the individual’s self-defense response is “reasonable” in response to serious crimes—for example, aggravated kidnapping, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, murder and robbery/aggravated robbery. Reasonable force is also “proportionate” under Texas self-defense law.

35 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Don't forget to blow your rape whistle really loud too. Maybe consider adding a tube sock full of nickels to add extra weight to your purse for when you have to use it as weapon.

What does The Tin Man's Fleshlight have to do with lunatic door answerers? 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

As a youngster, I once had a shitty summer job setting up siding/window/roofing estimates door to door. 

Some (not all, certainly) of the people with "No Soliciting" signs were the easiest marks. 

Why would I buy something from someone who can't read/ follow directions?

Fuck solicitors.  They can fuck off when ignoring polite requests to GTFO.  Basically everything is available/ findable on the internet.

It was a 'No' before they got here.  It's currently a 'no' and now I'm pissed off at the unnecessary interruption.  They can all die in a fucking fire.

Edited by slorch

18 minutes ago, slorch said:

Fuck solicitors.  They can fuck off when ignoring polite requests to GTFO.  Basically everything is available/ findable on the internet.

It was a 'No' before they got here.  It's currently a 'no' and now I'm pissed off at the unnecessary interruption.  They can all die in a fucking fire.

I sold discount cards for restaurants door to door for a few weeks the summer before I went to UT.  They cost $20, and you kept $10 for everyone you sold.  Something like 30 meals 50% off.  You were given a territory every day. After about a week, I said fuck this territory shit , and went to my mom’s office, and sold 100 of the things during their lunch hour.

56 minutes ago, slorch said:

I explicitly remember explaining this to you at least once before when this same topic came up, but just to make it clearer, I definitely put you into the 65-75% of people with those signs who are not an appealing target. 

13 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I explicitly remember explaining this to you at least once before when this same topic came up, but just to make it clearer, I definitely put you into the 65-75% of people with those signs who are not an appealing target. 

You still knock once, because you feel entitled to do so, right?  you're still a  fucking asshole who disregards my wishes as a homeowner.  It is about the interruption, not the product or service you are offering.  I'm not a mark or target.  I'm just a dude who wants to enjoy his afternoon/ evening in my own home without people getting all pissy when I tell them to leave.

It's a bullshit practice and unnecessary at that.

Edited by slorch

18 minutes ago, slorch said:

You still knock once, because you feel entitled to do so, right?  you're still a  fucking asshole who disregards my wishes as a homeowner.  It is about the interruption, not the product or service you are offering.  I'm not a mark or target.  I'm just a dude who wants to enjoy his afternoon/ evening in my own home without people getting all pissy when I tell them to leave.

It's a bullshit practice and unnecessary at that.

I don't disagree with you about any of this, though I'm not sure where you got the idea that I think it's reasonable for a person "to get all pissy" when told to leave. 

I disagree with your assertion that "No Soliciting" signs are an effective deterrent - quite the opposite, for the reasons I've stated.

In a perfect world, of course, they would be. But in a perfect world, there are no door to door jobs. 

My only point is that these signs are a beacon for salespeople, not a deterrent. 

Personally, even if I believed that they worked, I think they're tacky and would never put one on the exterior of my home.

But I don't want any door to door shit any more than anyone else does, so I just answer the door (on the slim chance that they are casing my house to see if I'm home) and then politely but quickly make it clear that I'm not interested. I keep them from wasting their time, I minimize my wasted time, and in the grand scheme of things, I haven't had to start a thread on my favorite message board to broadly enquire about my legal rights to pepper spray someone, etc. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

99.99% of the population go their entire lives without pushing people off their property.  You are working on #3, clearly you are the asshole.  Wait what was the question?

13 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Why can’t hot babes go door to door asking to blow you. That would be cool .

Wait, does that not happen for everyone else?