What's happening in Iran?

Parliament

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

USS Carney is racking up quite the drone/missile count. Houthis are using online ship tracking sites to go after ships they think have Israeli ties.

I'm betting we are not far off from some cruise missiles finding there way into Houthi launch sites.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/18/politics/uss-carney-red-sea/index.html

Which one of you assholes who cut your teeth tracking coaches' flights on Flightware joined the Houthies?!

Use your powers for good dammit!

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, elfenix said:

A Viral Dance and ‘Happiness Campaign’ Frustrates Iran’s Clerics

It all started when a 70-year-old fish market stall owner nicknamed “Booghy” was grooving in public, in violation of Iranian law.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/16/world/middleeast/a-viral-dance-and-happiness-campaign-frustrates-irans-clerics.html

LqJPqy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, elfenix said:

A Viral Dance and ‘Happiness Campaign’ Frustrates Iran’s Clerics

It all started when a 70-year-old fish market stall owner nicknamed “Booghy” was grooving in public, in violation of Iranian law.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/16/world/middleeast/a-viral-dance-and-happiness-campaign-frustrates-irans-clerics.html

Dancing Ghandi.

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 7 Wow GIF by Wrexham AFC

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/18/middleeast/pakistan-targets-locations-iran-intl-hnk/index.html

Pakistan has targeted seven locations inside Iran, a Pakistan security official told CNN Thursday, in the latest incident across their shared border that has sent tensions between the two neighbors soaring.

At least seven people have been killed following explosions inside southwestern Iran’s Sistan and Baluchistan province early Thursday morning, according to the province’s deputy governor Alireza Marhamati in an interview on state television. Marhamati said the dead include three women and four children, who were foreign citizens.

Iranian state media reported explosions around Saravan as a Pakistani security official told CNN Pakistan carried out strikes in Iran. Security officials are investigating, Iranian state media IRNA said. CNN has reached out to Pakistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Both Pakistan and Iran have long fought militants in the restive Baloch region along their 900-kilometer (560-mile) border but the latest incident marks a major escalation between the two neighboring powers and comes as regional hostilities in the Middle East mount over Israel’s ongoing war in Gaza.

Pakistan’s missile launch comes a day after Iran said it used “precision missile and drone strikes,” to destroy two strongholds of the Sunni militant group Jaish al-Adl in Pakistan’s southwest Balochistan province, according to Iran’s state-aligned Tasnim news agency.

The strikes killed two children and wounded several others, according to local officials and Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry, which described the attack as an “unprovoked violation of its airspace by Iran” and warned Iran of “serious consequences.”

It also kicked off a diplomatic spat with Pakistan on Wednesday recalling its ambassador from Iran and suspending all Iranian high-level visits. A spokesperson for Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry said the Iranian Ambassador to Pakistan should not return from a current visit to Iran and warned “Pakistan reserves the right to respond to this illegal act.”

Iran has defended the strikes and appeared to seek to calm tensions with its nuclear-powered neighbor. Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said his country only targeted Iranian “terrorists” on Pakistan soil and that “none of the nationals of the friendly country of Pakistan were targeted by missiles and drones of Iran.”

A foreign ministry spokesperson earlier defended the strikes as a “precise and targeted” operation to deter security threats. But the deadly attack inside Pakistani territory seriously damaged relations between the two countries, Pakistani Foreign Minister Jalil Abbas Jilani told his Iranian counterpart.

“The Foreign Minister firmly underscored that the attack conducted by Iran inside Pakistani territory, on 16 January 2024, was not only a serious breach of Pakistan’s sovereignty but was also an egregious violation of international law and the spirit of bilateral relations between Pakistan and Iran,” the ministry said.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Pakistani Twitter is something else

And they have green lasers

Fuck, I’m getting flashbacks to my time in Karachi. I had to do an extensive social media purge because of the insanity of Pakistani online discourse. That “friendship ended” meme is pretty much what it’s like all the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Parliament said:

#letthemfight

I know Pakistan has nukes.  And the Iranians are savages.  But this crap in the ME has been going on for 70 years.  Until we let them thin eachother out, it won't change.

12 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

70?

Try 7,000

and it will never end

^This.  

Alexander the Great laughs at your notion of time.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Watch next for proxy attacks inside Afghanistan. Both Pakistan and Iran have active cells there. That happens and this escalates fast. And not only is India watching close, but ISIS could try and take advantage of a distracted region. Would not be surprised if a few mosques get hit on Friday prayers.

While this goes as it is, both hammering the Balouchis no one really will give a shit. They are a hated minority in both countries. The Balouchis can hold there own as a guerilla force, but could not take on both nations at once. Map below is dated, but historically accurate.

Major_ethnic_groups_of_Pakistan_in_1980_borders_removed.thumb.jpg.0b8c604c70e6ddae288c7d983cc10c00.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Fuck, I’m getting flashbacks to my time in Karachi. I had to do an extensive social media purge because of the insanity of Pakistani online discourse. That “friendship ended” meme is pretty much what it’s like all the time. 

Pakistan social media is hilarious when they pull one of their patented choke jobs in a big cricket match.  B1G teams burn couches, Pakistan breaks TVs

image.png.ec883ca2b5178144b3cf2e9df90ab592.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Watch next for proxy attacks inside Afghanistan. Both Pakistan and Iran have active cells there. That happens and this escalates fast. And not only is India watching close, but ISIS could try and take advantage of a distracted region. Would not be surprised if a few mosques get hit on Friday prayers.

While this goes as it is, both hammering the Balouchis no one really will give a shit. They are a hated minority in both countries. The Balouchis can hold there own as a guerilla force, but could not take on both nations at once. Map below is dated, but historically accurate.

Major_ethnic_groups_of_Pakistan_in_1980_borders_removed.thumb.jpg.0b8c604c70e6ddae288c7d983cc10c00.jpg

Let me visualize what is going on here:

image.jpeg.a449341f16ef276c74f9d7103f0d6b03.jpeg

I was in Pak when they launched the Pakistan Super League of cricket. The security situation there was so dire that all the games were played in UAE.  The mass purge of social media and the realization that I was free to tell people that cricket sucks were two cathartic moments for me. 

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Pakistan social media is hilarious when they pull one of their patented choke jobs in a big cricket match.  B1G teams burn couches, Pakistan breaks TVs

image.png.ec883ca2b5178144b3cf2e9df90ab592.png

• Hook 'Em 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hot Fuzz Shame GIF

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-04-01-24/h_1705e01687e85f4d535913d43a5cdbf6

Iran promised a "decisive" response after a deadly strike on its consulate in Damascus, Syria, that it blamed on Israel.

Remember: Iranian ambassador in Damascus, Hossein Akbari, accused Israel of the attacks, alleging that the building “was targeted with six missiles from Israeli F-35 warplanes.” Syrian state media Syrian Arab News Agency also reported that “an Israeli act of aggression targeted on Monday afternoon a building in Mezzeh neighborhood in Damascus,” causing “massive destruction.” CNN cannot independently verify the claims. 

Akbari said Israel's attack was "against all international laws" and Iran "will be decisive in our response."

Seven Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corp officials were killed in the attack, including senior Iranian commanders Mohammed Reza Zahedi and Mohammad Hadi Haji Rahimi, according to an IRGC statement.

"This is perhaps the first time that the Zionist regime allows itself to attack an official building of the Islamic Republic of Iran embassy, which had the flag of the Islamic Republic raised on top of it," he claimed.
"Iran preserves the right to take reciprocal measures and will decide the type of response and punishment against the aggressor," Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Nasser Kanaani said, according to IRGC-affiliated Fars News.

Israel response: The Israeli military would not comment on the Damascus strike, but a military spokesperson added:

"According to our intelligence, this is no consulate and this is no embassy. I repeat, this is no consulate and this is no embassy. This is a military building of Quds forces disguised as a civilian building in Damascus," Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari said in an interview with CNN.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Parliament said:

What are they gonna do?  Write a strongly-worded note?

No, blow up some Jewish organizations around the globe. Remember what Iran did in Argentina? What about hitting a few synagogues in Europe? Or a consulate in some small country?

They will do something. And Al-Quds is global.

Fucking with diplomatic facilities is frowned upon.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

No, blow up some Jewish organizations around the globe. Remember what Iran did in Argentina? What about hitting a few synagogues in Europe? Or a consulate in some small country?
They will do something. And Al-Quds is global.
Fucking with diplomatic facilities is frowned upon.

So is kidnapping and raping women and kids.

FAAFO.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Doesn't make it right but I bet every country can be labeled with that statement. 

Israel signed the UN Charter and the Geneva Conventions. Not only that, Israel is a creation of the UN. The continued occupation and the treatment of its Palestinian residents are illegal under international law.

Are you cool with Russia illegally occupying Ukraine?

I'm not going to sit here and read justifications for illegal behavior without giving pushback. If you'd like to discuss that topic more openly and thoroughly, we've got a thread for that in CR. 

Edit: I support Israel against both Hamas and Iran, but Inka is absolutely correct about the risks of hitting consulates, embassies, and such.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Israel signed the UN Charter and the Geneva Conventions. Not only that, Israel is a creation of the UN. The continued occupation and the treatment of its Palestinian residents are illegal under international law.

I'm not going to sit here and read justifications for internationally illegal behavior without giving pushback. If you'd like to discuss that topic more openly and thoroughly, we've got a thread for that in CR. 

Oh no, CR is all yours. I have no desire to get into an internet discussion or debate besides a comment or 2. I read your comment , cool cool.

I come to Surly for the laughs and entertainment. The constant arguing, bickering and political/social/religious poo flinging makes this site less and less appealing. 

"Edit: I support Israel against both Hamas and Iran, but Inka is absolutely correct about the risks of hitting consulates, embassies, and such."

I agree

Edited by nineliveslost
you edit , I edit :)
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, nineliveslost said:

Oh no, CR is all yours. I have no desire to get into an internet discussion or debate besides a comment or 2. I read your comment , cool cool.

I come to Surly for the laughs and entertainment. The constant arguing, bickering and political/social/religious poo flinging makes this site less and less appealing. 

Then, take it up with Handcruser.

26 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And apparently Syria and Russia can’t or won’t tangle with it.  Or they are cool with Israel hitting targets in Syria’s capitol.

Given what we’ve learned about Russian air defense in Ukraine, they may not have known they were there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And apparently Syria and Russia can’t or won’t tangle with it.  Or they are cool with Israel hitting targets in Syria’s capitol.

Russia does not care about Syria. They just need a proxy.

Iran has killed, through its Houthi proxy, at least one U.S. sailor and seriously injured a few dozen more (I don’t know if that one dude ever came out of his coma). Iran, through its Hamas proxy, killed a dozen U.S. citizens on 10-7, and is holding five more U.S. citizens hostage (unless they’ve been tortured to death). 

Good for Israel. Fuck Iran. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Hitting any diplomatic location is going to cause issues. If Syria said its a consulate, well it is.

It’s going to cause a problem but it gets a bit more complicated than that.  The facility has to be in use for a diplomatic or consular purpose. You can easily think of obvious examples where this doesn’t work. If the PRC constructed a small airfield next to its mission in say, Vancouver with the permission of the Canadians, and then started flying drone sorties from it against Seattle and proclaimed it was an inviolable facility that wouldn’t work as a defense. Even if Canada agreed, you can’t use a consulate as a military base to launch attacks. 

This is a grayer area of course, but revolutionary states in the Middle East have a history of playing in this gray zone. Plenty of terrorist attacks have been planned and launched from diplomatic facilities. The Libyans famously shot a protester in the middle of London from their mission.  The aforementioned BA bombings were planned and directed inside of the Iranian embassy in Argentina. 

You generally lose inviolability if a facility is used to break laws. The normal response is expulsion but in this case the facility is operating with permission of the Syrians. The presence of so many IRGC operatives raises the obvious question of what the facility really was— they weren’t doing visas or promoting commercial ties. 

• Hook 'Em 6