Guns

Gil Bang

In the town a few miles from me, a 3 year old just shot and killed her 1 year old sibling.

I don't advocate for the death penalty,  but, for THIS gunowner...

FALLBROOK —  

A 3-year-old child shot and killed a 1-year-old sibling with a handgun Monday morning that had been left unsecured in a Fallbrook home, sheriff’s authorities said.

The shooting happened at a residence on Stagecoach Lane near Reche Road around 7:30 a.m., the county Sheriff’s Department said in a news release. It was not immediately clear who reported the shooting or where the children’s parents were at the time of the incident.

Deputies arrived and found the 1-year-old girl, who had a “head injury,” the department said.

• Rage+1 1

Since this got no traction, I’m reposting in another gun thread. 

Local news just had an interview with a veteran advocating for mental health awareness, which of course I am all for.

Problem was, the reason he is an advocate is because 13 years ago he took his wife hostage and attempted suicide by firearm.  Horrible and way too common among veterans (the suicide part, not necessarily the hostage part).  He admitted he sees himself as the "enemy" inside his own home and has taken steps to secure his firearm within his home so it is harder for him to access, in case of another incident.  This is part of the program he is advocating for as well.  Essentially, making your firearm more secure within your home.

I have every sympathy for veterans and their mental health.  One of my good friends was a Marine sniper who took his own life a few years back.  

Now, my basic question is:

Wouldn't it make more sense to just...not have a gun?  Why does he need a gun?  He's already proven he may not be the most trustworthy person to have a gun.  Why is that logical step just too much to take here?

• Hook 'Em 5

Guns don't kill people! Three year olds kill people!

This sort of story sadly hits close to home.  I would have cousin a couple years older but he was killed by a careless police officer.  The officer left his gun on a coffee table and the young child picked it up. The officer walked in, and told my cousin to "drop it!"  He did, and it discharged into his chest.  Really did a number on my Aunt, and she and he husband divorced a couple years later.  I never knew the story when I was young, but it's a sad one.  Nothing happened to the officer.  I hope he saw my cousin's face every single night...

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

16 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

In the town a few miles from me, a 3 year old just shot and killed her 1 year old sibling.

I don't advocate for the death penalty,  but, for THIS gunowner...

FALLBROOK —  

A 3-year-old child shot and killed a 1-year-old sibling with a handgun Monday morning that had been left unsecured in a Fallbrook home, sheriff’s authorities said.

The shooting happened at a residence on Stagecoach Lane near Reche Road around 7:30 a.m., the county Sheriff’s Department said in a news release. It was not immediately clear who reported the shooting or where the children’s parents were at the time of the incident.

Deputies arrived and found the 1-year-old girl, who had a “head injury,” the department said.

Won’t move the needle. Decedent is at least 12 months too old to give a shit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Local news just had an interview with a veteran advocating for mental health awareness, which of course I am all for.

Problem was, the reason he is an advocate is because 13 years ago he took his wife hostage and attempted suicide by firearm.  Horrible and way too common among veterans (the suicide part, not necessarily the hostage part).  He admitted he sees himself as the "enemy" inside his own home and has taken steps to secure his firearm within his home so it is harder for him to access, in case of another incident.  This is part of the program he is advocating for as well.  Essentially, making your firearm more secure within your home.

I have every sympathy for veterans and their mental health.  One of my good friends was a Marine sniper who took his own life a few years back.  

Wouldn't it make more sense to just...not have a gun?  Why does he need a gun?  He's already proven he may not be the most trustworthy person to have a gun.  Why is that logical step just too much to take here?

Of course it would make more sense. Problem is, most of America is irrational and nonsensical which it comes to the question of guns, On this issue, we’re as lost as a ball in tall grass.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Satchel said:

Of course it would make more sense. Problem is, most of America is irrational and nonsensical which it comes to the question of guns, On this issue, we’re as lost as a ball in tall grass.

My question was mostly rhetorical, but I really just want a god damn answer from our gun people:

Why?  Why do you need guns?  I just don't understand.

I'm on the fence on this issue. On the one hand no one really needs to have a gun. On the other hand the people that really feel they need to have a gun are exactly the people who should have their guns forcibly removed from them. Fuck guns.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SilasCoade said:

I'm on the fence on this issue. On the one hand no one really needs to have a gun. On the other hand the people that really feel they need to have a gun are exactly the people who should have their guns forcibly removed from them. Fuck guns.

Doesn't seem like you're really on the fence then.

20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My question was mostly rhetorical, but I really just want a god damn answer from our gun people:

because they're shiny and destructive and a broad sword is too cumbersome to serve as a functional murder dildo. duh.

35 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That’s why they get guns. Too many misunderstandings. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

How do you secure a firearm from yourself?

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

My friend in Georgia (who is pretty liberal, but is surrounded by magats) sent me a link to a New Yorker story about the rise of bro country (or as the article says, "guns, beer, and god" country) and how it has divided Nashville and conservatives have gravitated towards bro country instead of Americana country.

It took all of my control not to just text back "NO SHIT SHERLOCK".  Instead I just said, yes, because dumb people like bro country.

20 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

In a rational world he would have been adjudicated mentally ill and then categorically restricted from owning guns under federal law. 

• Like 1

F0s_ITNacAAPnMW?format=jpg&name=medium

Nacogdoches, right now. Grandfather pulled the mag but forgot to clear the chamber, and he thought he had stored it out of reach. 2 yr old shot himself in the eye but exit was at an angle to where they think he has a good chance to live.

Leo on scene said it is the single most common gun accident scenario.

This happens to be the week at my house where the phone rings everytime a kid in Texas dies of non-natural causes.

17 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Nacogdoches, right now. Grandfather pulled the mag but forgot to clear the chamber, and he thought he had stored it out of reach. 2 yr old shot himself in the eye but exit was at an angle to where they think he has a good chance to live.

The old man probably feels horrible, but he should be held legally responsible for not storing and securing his firearm safely. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

According to what I've heard today, the grandfather would gladly give his own life if it meant he could rewind to before the accident.

Why only with that conditional statement? His actions directly led to the near death and permanent mutilation of a fucking toddler. Let him swing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

According to what I've heard today, the grandfather would gladly give his own life if it meant he could rewind to before the accident.

I'm sure he would, and so would most people who seriously hurt or kill someone in a drunk driving accident. He is no less liable for the consequences of his mistake than they are. I'm sincerely sorry for them all and hope that time brings them peace, but they must be held to account. When you own guns you assume responsibility for what happens when they go off.
I own a few myself. The chambers are empty, and they are in a safe in one building, and the ammo is locked up in another.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

A lot of the J6 fuckfaces have expressed remorse too. Let's let them off the hook. 

• Fuck You 1

What kind of person do you have to be to respond like that? If what @BearSchlongsaid is accurate, the grandfather thought he had emptied his weapon (1) and then placed it out of reach (2). Now, our standards now for securing a gun are more stringent than that, but what he did was probably extra careful for his generation. But you don't miss a beat and go out and lump him in with a group of traitors who wished to subvert the very fabric that holds our country together?