Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

TLDR: Midwest lack of diversity ain't quite the same as southern white towns.

To the fella up there that asked about diversity in the small-town Midwest, I submit this exchange between my very white (actual, not play) farmer cousin and my (black, Houstonian) wife, after passing a bottle of lemon-honeyed Spirytus around for a couple hours:

Cousin: He'd never be here if it wasn't for visiting us, any chance you'd ever see yourself visiting or living in a place like this?

Her: Well, no offense, but I like a little more diversity.

After he asked her what she meant by that, she asked him if she was probably the only black person in the town right then 

And he hit her with "well, ya know, back in the day, we never imported you guys up here the same way they did down there."

She said "well alright" in her cute little accent and took a glug.

Her trepidation up til that point was fair, imo, but since then she's been way more at ease in small Midwest towns and I've noticed her stealing that line at least a dozen times. That's not to say that there aren't some bad apple elements in some towns, but if you're a brown or a black family you'll be just fine if you're not not dicks, especially as religion is now less important and you wouldn't have to pretend to be a Catholic or Lutheran or Episcopalian in order to fit in.

😄 <-- side note, it autocorrected "C" then ":" to this fuggin smiley face and, after like 2 mins of trying to delete it on my phone, it's just gotta stY.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, DickSolomon said:

Meanwhile this video of Lil Nas X butt fucking satan has 540 million views to Jason Fagdean's "#1 TOP SMASH HIT" 10 million:

Or did the "right" not boycott this song??

Great analogy. You're comparing the number of views on a song released 2.5 years ago with a song released a few months ago.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, choripan said:

TLDR: Midwest lack of diversity ain't quite the same as southern white towns.

To the fella up there that asked about diversity in the small-town Midwest, I submit this exchange between my very white (actual, not play) farmer cousin and my (black, Houstonian) wife, after passing a bottle of lemon-honeyed Spirytus around for a couple hours:

Cousin: He'd never be here if it wasn't for visiting us, any chance you'd ever see yourself visiting or living in a place like this?

Her: Well, no offense, but I like a little more diversity.

After he asked her what she meant by that, she asked him if she was probably the only black person in the town right then 

And he hit her with "well, ya know, back in the day, we never imported you guys up here the same way they did down there."

She said "well alright" in her cute little accent and took a glug.

Her trepidation up til that point was fair, imo, but since then she's been way more at ease in small Midwest towns and I've noticed her stealing that line at least a dozen times. That's not to say that there aren't some bad apple elements in some towns, but if you're a brown or a black family you'll be just fine if you're not not dicks, especially as religion is now less important and you wouldn't have to pretend to be a Catholic or Lutheran or Episcopalian in order to fit in.

😄 <-- side note, it autocorrected "C" then ":" to this fuggin smiley face and, after like 2 mins of trying to delete it on my phone, it's just gotta stY.

I have a good friend in town who’s a black guy that grew up in Miami.  Whenever some more liberal/racially sensitive local asks him if he’s had to deal with much racism, his response is always something to the effect of “well, a little here and there, but I’m from Florida.  You have no idea what actual racism looks like here.”

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

75ed48ad3cd55928738c09f50c5f8909.jpg

To be fair Iowa, at least back in the 80s/90s, Iowa had weed that grew in the ditches in rural areas on its own. And farmers would sometimes grow it amongst the corn crops for black market sales. The soil is great for letting it grow naturally on its own. 

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Great analogy. You're comparing the number of views on a song released 2.5 years ago with a song released a few months ago.

Montero was streamed 147 million times in its opening week:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/27/arts/music/lil-nas-x-montero-billboard.html

if this NUMBER 1 SMASH HIT KUNTry music song keeps on its trajectory, in 28 more weeks, when it's as old as Montero is right now, it'll still have been streamed 10 million times less than Montero was streamed in the first fucking week. LMFAO what a moron.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, DickSolomon said:

Montero was streamed 147 million times in its opening week:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/27/arts/music/lil-nas-x-montero-billboard.html

if this NUMBER 1 SMASH HIT KUNTry music song keeps on its trajectory, in 28 more weeks, when it's as old as Montero is right now, it'll still have been streamed 10 million times less than Montero was streamed in the first fucking week. LMFAO what a moron.

Rap is terrible these days. But my biggest issue with you is this: why write Kuntry and not Cuntry? It flows so much better. 

16 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Em and Dre. Everyone else is just fighting for 3rd and that changes based on my mood. Although I do have a soft spot for some of the houston screw artists. 

Please specify which Dre

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

Rap is terrible these days. But my biggest issue with you is this: why write Kuntry and not Cuntry? It flows so much better. 

It’s over saturated.    I was in Russia a few years ago.   There was even a rap group there

Run KGB

thank you thank you so much!  Please tip your waitress!

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

I'm trying to picture Jason Aldean shooting a man just to watch him die, and I can't do it.  

Or playing the devil for a fiddle of gold.

Or getting himself killed because he went to El Paso to see a woman, knowing there's a bunch of armed dudes waiting for him.

Or plowing a field all day long, or catching catfish from dusk 'til dawn, or making his own whiskey or smokes too.

rock and roll psychedelic art GIF by Grande Dame 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I just looked up the lyrics for the first time.  So it’s todays small town country version of 187 on a cop?   But on car jackers, liquor store armed robbers and people spitting in a cops face?   So same same but different..   I definitely don’t listen to this guys music at all but there’s nothing racist in the lyrics really, I don’t see why the conversation went that way?

Edited by Hook1997

3 hours ago, Covri said:

To be fair Iowa, at least back in the 80s/90s, Iowa had weed that grew in the ditches in rural areas on its own. And farmers would sometimes grow it amongst the corn crops for black market sales. The soil is great for letting it grow naturally on its own. 

I had so many 14 year old headaches courtesy of Iowa ditch weed 

• Haha 1

I think Jason Aldean makes shitty music for Texas beta males who think they're alpha males, and spend most of their time waiting for Andrew Tate to show up and stop the bad guys in their small town, which they would do themselves as soon as they're done giving Joe Rogan a neck rub.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Smax said:

1 out of 5 yay !!! point still stands and the fact you replied with that, is a real head scratcher 

Well, shit odds but bullshit is still bullshit.  Smart ass meme motherfucker couldn’t even get that right.  

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Fuck You 1

53 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I just looked up the lyrics for the first time.  So it’s todays small town country version of 187 on a cop?   But on car jackers, liquor store armed robbers and people spitting in a cops face?   So same same but different..   I definitely don’t listen to this guys music at all but there’s nothing racist in the lyrics really, I don’t see why the conversation went that way?

I don’t care to watch the video, but my understanding is that  lyrics are mostly wink wink nudge nudge racism. The video really brings it home with footage of the BLM protests and then cutting to aldean singing in front of a courthouse known for lynchings. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I don’t care to watch the video, but my understanding is that  lyrics are mostly wink wink nudge nudge racism. The video really brings it home with footage of the BLM protests and then cutting to aldean singing in front of a courthouse known for lynchings. 

Eh I just watched it and yea it’s protesters burning flags and looting but you can’t tell who it is and most are white.   Now if you think this guy is smart enough to plan ahead to film infront of a courthouse with a lynching history from 100 years ago  for that reason, I think you’re giving him too much credit...  I’m not standing up for the guy because I don’t like any of his music and think he caters to a crap country audience but it’s once again one side reacting to something to the extreme one way and the other to the extreme the other, as is the new norm.    I see post calling for him to preform at the Super Bowl now lol and dumbass rednecks probably racist supporting him, but I doubt this guy was out to release a racist video at all.  I could be wrong but I think it’s reaching to say his intent was racist.   

1 hour ago, Smax said:

1 out of 5 yay !!! point still stands and the fact you replied with that, is a real head scratcher 

That guy at Sutherland Springs is an absolute hero beyond compare.  But he is also an outlier.  "Good guys with a gun" are at least 1-22 in the last 23 mass shootings in Texas.  By other metrics of "Mass Shooting", they are 1-36.  Tardy law enforcement or suicide have taken care of the rest.  

More mass shootings in Texas have taken place in small towns than in large cities. Obviously that's just one metric of violent crime.  But it does lead me to ask, "If they're so tight knit and watch out for each other and self-police"...why does every fucking small town shooter/mass shooting event end with the exact same fucking exchange between reporter and resident, "We knew his family our whole life.  Didn't ever see this coming.  He was a quiet, polite kid...kept to himself but that family was a part of this community for generations.  What a shame." Every fucking time.  Townie detective work just ain't what it's hyped up to be.  

16 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

But it does lead me to ask, "If they're so tight knit and watch out for each other and self-police"...why does every fucking small town shooter/mass shooting event end with the exact same fucking exchange between reporter and resident, "We knew his family our whole life.  Didn't ever see this coming.  He was a quiet, polite kid...kept to himself but that family was a part of this community for generations.  What a shame." Every fucking time.  Townie detective work just ain't what it's hyped up to be.  

Those people are lying their asses off.  Most of these shooters were known in some way to law enforcement, mental health professionals, etc., and when you dig down, inevitably the mass shooter is going to be somebody that stood out for bad reasons. And there will be people who finally say "yeah, if there was going to be a mass shooting, it was going to be him."

The thing that gets me about small towns when you hear people like Aldean talking about them, is that it's clear they've never really lived in a small town.  As an adult, I've lived in small towns in East Texas and West Texas, as a kid I lived in small towns in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and several other places, and I still visit relatives in small towns in NE Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.  The number one tipoff about somebody bullshitting about small towns is when they talk about backing the blue/cop worship. 

You get into a lot of small towns, real small towns, and law enforcement is not some magical savior that everybody should aspire to be, it's Deputy Larry, the guy you hated in high school, who has to come out to your place because you and your wife got in one helluva an argument that spooked the neighbors.  Or a distant cousin who busts you for violating fishing or hunting regulations or driving illegally.  Or the sheriff giving you shit over your missing child support payments or whatever.  People can accuse me of stereotyping, but for many people in poor, rural small towns, they generally aren't having a lot of happy interactions with law enforcement - a sheriff's deputy pulling up to the family farm in his squad car is not there to deliver good news.

My grandparents had a police scanner back in the 80s that we would listen to while playing games when we visited (don't ask me why they'd have the scanner going, they were not the types to have to worry, just nosey).  It seemed like a large amount that cops dealt with was mundane shit in the rural areas, and yet it wasn't that mundane to the people involved.

Local law enforcement in those areas usually represented an intrusion of the local government/court into the lives from the perspective of those that they came into contact with.  They weren't singing their praises or putting thin blue line stickers on their cars (of course that wasn't a thing back then but you know what I mean).

/endrant

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Eh I just watched it and yea it’s protesters burning flags and looting but you can’t tell who it is and most are white.   Now if you think this guy is smart enough to plan ahead to film infront of a courthouse with a lynching history from 100 years ago  for that reason, I think you’re giving him too much credit...  I’m not standing up for the guy because I don’t like any of his music and think he caters to a crap country audience but it’s once again one side reacting to something to the extreme one way and the other to the extreme the other, as is the new norm.    I see post calling for him to preform at the Super Bowl now lol and dumbass rednecks probably racist supporting him, but I doubt this guy was out to release a racist video at all.  I could be wrong but I think it’s reaching to say his intent was racist.   

It's either intentionally racist or incredibly ignorant. But sure, keep white knighting. 

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It's either intentionally racist or incredibly ignorant. But sure, keep white knighting. 

I’d believe ignorance, did you know they lynched a person at that courthouse a week ago?   I mean come on, I can’t believe this guy knew someone was hung there 100 years ago and did it on purpose for that reason and is like a hidden clan member lol.   A public figure doesn’t choose that route these days.  Let’s be logical for a second.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I’d believe ignorance, did you know they lynched a person at that courthouse a week ago?   I mean come on, I can’t believe this guy knew someone was hung there 100 years ago and did it on purpose for that reason and is like a hidden clan member lol.   A public figure doesn’t choose that route these days.  Let’s be logical for a second.  

Both the song and video are giant dog whistles. Again, it either incredibly ignorant or intentional. And yes, plenty of public figures choose to be intentionally racist, see two prominent individuals with residences in Florida. 

As to the court house, I didn't specifically know that. I also didn't choose to randomly shoot a music video there. You may want to ask why that location was chosen. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Both the song and video are giant dog whistles. Again, it either incredibly ignorant or intentional. And yes, plenty of public figures choose to be intentionally racist, see two prominent individuals with residences in Florida. 

As to the court house, I didn't specifically know that. I also didn't choose to randomly shoot a music video there. You may want to ask why that location was chosen. 

Because he lives close to there now after a simple google search and it’s a good looking courthouse?  Lol.  I mean it could definitely be that simple….   It’s definitely anti burning down courthouses, looting, fire bombing police  and police stations or businesses but that doesn’t mean it’s racist?   That’s kinda a normal thing to be against….  Idk?   Isn’t it?  why I’m standing up for a guy who’s music I don’t like at all but I definitely think it’s been taken for much more than this dumbasses intention.  Because both side just see the worst in everything now.  Now some of his crowd taking it that way I believe, but his intent?  No not at all.  I kin it to Hunter Biden left the coke in the White House memes, both go to the extreme at any point they can now.  

Edited by Hook1997

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Meh.  Imo there are no accidents 

On 7/20/2023 at 10:06 PM, fattyflattie said:

He comes off like a salty bitch, honestly.   

Lol.

Every day Isbell writes culture is created, money comes from nowhere. You are a Lincoln log, zero sum nobody. But he’s a bitch. Sure. To dumbasses.

Have fun, stay clear of the needle, call home on your sister's birthday”

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1