Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You didn't even listen to it.  As others have pointed out, he did Tracy a huge solid by getting her song back out there, which is making her money, and as the writer of one of the most iconic songs of the last 40 years, she deserves all the money she can get.

It's pretty much a bad faith argument to say "why would I listen to something true to the original?" when you . . . don't know it's true to the original until somebody claims it is.

Here's a live version.  Tell me this guy doesn't drip talent.  Put your listening ears on and see if you can tell me how it DIFFERS from the original (which it does).

I'm thinking Derka has grown a beard and is doing a Luke Combs tribute show

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I will stand by my position that I do not appreciate or see the artistic merit in covers that are incredibly similar to the original.

Counterpoint - Faith No More's cover of Easy is fantastic because it is  virtually a note-for-note cover of the original. By a band like Faith No More.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

So country singer tells black people to not stand up for themselves in a small town or face the consequences if they do? Yeah, I can’t imagine that wouldn’t be controversial or that he is oblivious to how that is received by many. 

You still have mild-to-heavy racists that want to reply,  “all lives matter” whenever they see “black lives matter” even though no blm activist ever said white lives don’t matter.

regardless this guy will make even more money as a culture warrior.

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I'll also say that some songs are so intensely personal that any cover of them loses that connection, which automatically makes the cover inferior.  I'm talking especially about Johnny Cash fucking up Hurt

Are you fucking insane? Even Reznor admits that is Johnny's song now. 

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Are you fucking insane? Even Reznor admits that is Johnny's song now. 

Oh, hell no.   "I wear this crown of thorns."  

Fuck that times infinity.  This is a hill I will gladly die on.  I will write 5000 words and argue with jimmyjazz on this one.  

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Fuck that times infinity.  This is a hill I will gladly die on.  I will write 5000 words and argue with jimmyjazz on this one.  

And I will gladly have you die on it. You are wrong. Even Reznor says you are wrong. 

• Like 1

Say what you want about Matt, he is a brilliant manipulator of the stupid base of Texas.  Matt doesn't believe most of this shit, he knows he's lying.  

Matt is the perfect example of how to approach the, "Sure I voted for him in 2016, but I didn't vote for him in 2020 despite all evidence to the contrary" crowd.  They all know they're lying, they know the others know they're lying but they go through with the facade anyway.  Pretty smart actually.  

Despite a nationwide increase in supporting stupid racists in 2020 by 17+%, Matt's Texas base mysteriously decreased their vote by several percentage points.  Almost as odd as these song lyrics obviously being about being more involved in your community.  Like visiting a local dairy to find out how milk is handled and prepared for delivery, or plan a series of window displays on home safety, or help start a library, and discuss with your dentist what you can do to make your teeth more attractive.  

This song and video are targeted at people who live in mental prison, and they spend all their time fantasizing about BLMAntifaPedoCommunists rolling into their small town (actually a DFW/Nashville/Tulsa suburb) to burn the flag and maybe a Bible and they’d they’ll totally get put in their place by all their white friends and neighbors. 

In country terms, it’s music for the Bubbas that Charlie Daniels dupes in “Uneasy Rider.” 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Leave me out of it, I like 'em both.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

The funny part of this to me is this tough guy fake country boy releasing a song filled with racist dog whistles and glorifying lynching, but he's too much of a pussy to just admit it.  If that's what you believe, just come out and say it, you fucking pussy.  Don't hide behind coded language.    

It’s an extended riff on “wish a mothefucker would” for guys who take sunglass selfies in their truck, and they aren’t saying “motherfucker” to themselves.

• Hook 'Em 4

36 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This song and video are targeted at people who live in mental prison, and they spend all their time fantasizing about BLMAntifaPedoCommunists rolling into their small town (actually a DFW/Nashville/Tulsa suburb) to burn the flag and maybe a Bible and they’d they’ll totally get put in their place by all their white friends and neighbors. 

In country terms, it’s music for the Bubbas that Charlie Daniels dupes in “Uneasy Rider.” 

and Charlie turned into one of those Bubbas by the end too. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

3gQSii.gif

Correct.  It's part of the country music fantasy world of idyllic small towns while the crime is in the "city."  **cough** dog whistle **cough**

Never mind that in reality there is more crime in smaller towns and rural areas than the big cities.  

Modern country music (read "bro country") is for people from a small town who moved to the exurbs who want to move back to a small town but forgot why they left in the first place.

Edited by Aqua Buddha
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

More ironic, the song that for him famous (iirc) was Dirt Road Anthem, written by Colt Ford and Brantley Gilbert (sp?).  Colt Ford legitimately hangs with black dudes in a bunch of vids etc.  Pretty sure Aldean does not. 

Also, Cash’s rendition of Hurt is great, as is the OG. I think I’ve only seen one person ever say they didn’t like it.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Aldean's recent statement

Aldean shared his interpretation of the song’s lyrics in his tweet.

“Try That In A Small Town, for me, refers to the feeling of a community that I had growing up, where we took care of our neighbors, regardless of differences of background or belief,” Aldean wrote. “Because they were our neighbors, and that was above any differences. My political views have never been something I’ve hidden from, and I know that a lot of us in this Country don’t agree on how we get back to a sense of normalcy where we go at least a day without a headline that keeps us up at night. But the desire for it to- that’s what this song is about.”

His point above is that the song is about loving your neighbors and wanting to get back to a sense of normalcy.  But his lyrics sound nothing like that. hmmm.

Spoiler

Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk
Carjack an old lady at a red light
Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store
Ya think it's cool, well, act a fool if ya like

Cuss out a cop, spit in his face
Stomp on the flag and light it up
Yeah, ya think you're tough

Well, try that in a small town
See how far ya make it down the road
Around here, we take care of our own
You cross that line, it won't take long
For you to find out, I recommend you don't
Try that in a small town

Got a gun that my granddad gave me
They say one day they're gonna round up
Well, that shit might fly in the city, good luck

Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town

Full of good ol' boys, raised up right
If you're looking for a fight
Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town

Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town

Try that in a small town
Ooh-ooh
Try that in a small town

• Haha 1

Just now, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

How do the Surly music experts feel about this cover?

i couldn't visit my friends who lived at the castilian dorm from 1998-2001 without hearing that at least 18 times on every hallway i walked down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2