"Add a Tip"

Ghost of LL

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What's about movers?  First time using a moving company.  I have no idea what the company pays them hourly, but I know roughly what they will be charging me per hour, and tipping someone already charging me 100+/hour isn't something I really want to do. 

How many guys does 100/hr include? In the past, I've made sure to have a cooler of Gatorade and water iced down for them and then give each guy $40-50 at the end of the move plus a 12 pack of cold beer for the crew.

4 hours ago, HouTex said:

33%.  Wow.  For expected service my standard is 20% and i go up or down from there depending on the quality of the experience. 

In general, you'll find that servers or people who have served in the past are more generous because they know how hard and thankless the job is.

The guy upthread who doesn't tip on beer at the bar doesn't recognize that the bartender who served him that beer likely got there 1-2 hours before open to set the bar up and then spent 1-2 hours after the shift is done closing down and cleaning the bar. All of that time is compensated at a cool $2.13/hr. I slung drinks in college and thankfully don't have to do that job now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've always done unlimited Gatorade, lunch on me, and beers after the job, along with about $8/hr per guy.  It's a brutal job and our moves seem to suck more than most.

That sounds about right.   Lots of variables involved.  I would have paid $100 for someone to move a sleeper sofa into my 3rd floor West Campus apartment when I only had $500 in my checking account.  Stairs matter.  Our last move was 3br single story house to 3br single story house on flat lots about 10 miles apart and 4 guys knocked it out in about 4 hours.  Boxes and furniture, nothing unusual.  Austin has some topography that could be a complete pain in the ass.  If I’m asking somebody to carry furniture uphill to the house or up stairs in the house that is more physically taxing and I would adjust my tip accordingly.

Here’s something maybe you assholes can explain that is new to me— I just got back from overseas and I’m several places I’ve been, there’s a sign that I’ll get charged a processing fee of 3-4 percent to pay via CC.

WTF? That’s got to violate their vendor agreement with the card companies, right? 

7 hours ago, royiv said:

In general, you'll find that servers or people who have served in the past are more generous because they know how hard and thankless the job is.

The guy upthread who doesn't tip on beer at the bar doesn't recognize that the bartender who served him that beer likely got there 1-2 hours before open to set the bar up and then spent 1-2 hours after the shift is done closing down and cleaning the bar. All of that time is compensated at a cool $2.13/hr. I slung drinks in college and thankfully don't have to do that job now. 

They also get taxed on sales.  So tip a buck. 

9 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Here’s something maybe you assholes can explain that is new to me— I just got back from overseas and I’m several places I’ve been, there’s a sign that I’ll get charged a processing fee of 3-4 percent to pay via CC.

WTF? That’s got to violate their vendor agreement with the card companies, right? 

Vendor can pass on up to 3% on a credit transaction as long as it’s clearly stated. The points game has really screwed up payment processing. Everyone wants to use a CC for everything now.

16 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Not all vendors want to pay for your reward points.

I think there was another thread about the absurdity of tip culture. In it I posted that at the new Moody Center they have kiosks where you can go to a fridge, grab a $15 beer and self-checkout. They're completely unstaffed except for a security guard there to make sure people don't steal shit. When you self-checkout, it asks for a tip. Fucking absurd. 

On 7/29/2023 at 10:29 AM, 4th&Five said:

I went to a show last night at The Parish and they had signs up that 20% would automatically be added to every bar tab. I assume that’s the direction we’re headed. 

Are you sure it was for all tabs? Because most bars do this but only for all walked tabs. And I think it's a good system. I'd even pay 25%. I don't have to wait in line to close out and the bartenders don't have to waste time running my card and can serve more customers. Win-Win. 

Either way I'm fine with it. Don't want to tip 20%? Pay cash. But see how long it takes for you to get your second/third drink if you're not tipping appropriately. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is illegal in some states.  Not sure about "overseas", but don't you live "overseas"?

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I think there was another thread about the absurdity of tip culture. In it I posted that at the new Moody Center they have kiosks where you can go to a fridge, grab a $15 beer and self-checkout. They're completely unstaffed except for a security guard there to make sure people don't steal shit. When you self-checkout, it asks for a tip. Fucking absurd. 

Are you sure it was for all tabs? Because most bars do this but only for all walked tabs. And I think it's a good system. I'd even pay 25%. I don't have to wait in line to close out and the bartenders don't have to waste time running my card and can serve more customers. Win-Win. 

Either way I'm fine with it. Don't want to tip 20%? Pay cash. But see how long it takes for you to get your second/third drink if you're not tipping appropriately. 

Yeah, this has been a thing for walked tabs for multiple years now.  It's great.  Probably saves me money and I can be drunk and leave and not worry about shit.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

All tabs. Signs all over the bar, so I’m guessing it was a new thing. 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is illegal in some states.  Not sure about "overseas", but don't you live "overseas"?

I’m back in TX for a bit of a vacay and may be relocating stateside for a stint. But yes.

I get that vendors don’t love it, but if I’m at a place that charges 20 and up a plate on average with the family— yeah, I want to pay with card. Not as much points as just not carrying cash around.  

The math isn’t hard to figure out what portion of your customers pay by card and then charge accordingly, build that shit into your prices. I fucking hate the fee thing, especially if it’s not well posted because it’s part of the whole grifting, never tell you the real price of stuff bullshit economy. I also suspect many places prefer cash to “save” elsewhere in their business model than CC fees. 

And this trip I’ve already turned around a left a place when I saw that notice. Your stuff better be unique or awesome or I’ll go down the road. I wonder what that math is. 

45 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

"Give us extra money for making our job easier by not having to handle your cash or card for every single transaction."

On 8/2/2023 at 4:05 PM, conVINCEd said:

That sounds about right.   Lots of variables involved.  I would have paid $100 for someone to move a sleeper sofa into my 3rd floor West Campus apartment when I only had $500 in my checking account.  Stairs matter.  Our last move was 3br single story house to 3br single story house on flat lots about 10 miles apart and 4 guys knocked it out in about 4 hours.  Boxes and furniture, nothing unusual.  Austin has some topography that could be a complete pain in the ass.  If I’m asking somebody to carry furniture uphill to the house or up stairs in the house that is more physically taxing and I would adjust my tip accordingly.

Imo the best money you will ever spend is on movers. That and a good pair of jeans. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Deej said:

"Give us extra money for making our job easier by not having to handle your cash or card for every single transaction."

More likely -- "None of our employees have the knowledge or skills to consistently make change on each transaction."

Edited by DalTxHornFan

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’m back in TX for a bit of a vacay and may be relocating stateside for a stint. But yes.

I get that vendors don’t love it, but if I’m at a place that charges 20 and up a plate on average with the family— yeah, I want to pay with card. Not as much points as just not carrying cash around.  

The math isn’t hard to figure out what portion of your customers pay by card and then charge accordingly, build that shit into your prices. I fucking hate the fee thing, especially if it’s not well posted because it’s part of the whole grifting, never tell you the real price of stuff bullshit economy. I also suspect many places prefer cash to “save” elsewhere in their business model than CC fees. 

And this trip I’ve already turned around a left a place when I saw that notice. Your stuff better be unique or awesome or I’ll go down the road. I wonder what that math is. 

Exactly.  CC fees are a cost of doing business and if you can't handle it, you shouldn't be in business in 2023.  Fucking ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

But, if they add that extra 3% to the price, then even cash buyers have to pay that fee.  By breaking it out, only the people that will incur that charge have to pay it.

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

If they are just adding 20% to all tabs, you'd think they would get a much more favorable response if they just instead said "Good news! No more tipping at all! Price you see is what you pay!!" and just raised all the prices 20%. 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Because it fucks consumers who use their credit cards to get points, to mention a ton of other protections and benefits by using a card.  Cash gets you nothing.

Why should I give a flip about your points, all points have done is run up the fee charged to the vendor. Plus, what protections do you need on your cash purchase at the bar? We pass on the fee. We’re in a service business with large fees and got tired of clients using cards on $50k contracts when they can just ACH it and I just have to pay 1/10 if a percent.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WBT said:

A discount apparently

Cool.  If you want to charge your CC customers extra, more power to you.  Those customers (99%) will frequent other businesses very quickly.

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Why should I give a flip about your points, all points have done is run up the fee charged to the vendor. Plus, what protections do you need on your cash purchase at the bar? We pass on the fee. We’re in a service business with large fees and got tired of clients using cards on $50k contracts when they can just ACH it and I just have to pay 1/10 if a percent.

see above

4 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

But, if they add that extra 3% to the price, then even cash buyers have to pay that fee.  By breaking it out, only the people that will incur that charge have to pay it.

There are inefficiencies associated with accepting cash, too. Bank runs, more accounting, employee time, employee hand in the till, etc. 

Anyway, I’m not paying 50K bills that I could ACH, which I get. I’m looking to drop a hundred bucks on dinner on vacation and like most normal people I don’t walk around with stacks of cash in my wallet. Businesses and consumers survived and thrived without this bullshit. Build it into your costs.  Stop pretending that it’s anything other than a way to buttfuck clients who don’t carry cash (first) and to likely increase the amount of income that isn’t easily trackable (second).

I figured that second bit out really quickly at one place where I paid by debit and demanded they take the charge off. They first had to go get the manager who tried to argue (it was on their sign that debit didn’t incur a fee) and then she stared daggers at me as she took the fee off. 

And yeah…at least one other place just lost all my business when I saw the little sign). I imagine establishments that cater to regulars and not one-time tourists will be less likely to do it, too. 

On tipping, I’ll tip if the person I’m interacting with does something beyond facilitate the transaction. And I slide based on the rule of tipping the waiter (standard 20 percent). So if you do less than a waiter, the tip is less than 20 and if you do more or more strenuous work, the tip goes up. 

So today at the bagel place there was one guy working, and he took the order then sliced/smeared the bagels and wrapped them up and handed them to me. So he got a tip of a bit over ten percent. But if he had been just the cashier and someone else prepped the bagels, I’d have pressed “no tip.” Maybe capricious but it’s just how I’ve worked it out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There are inefficiencies associated with accepting cash, too. Bank runs, more accounting, employee time, employee hand in the till, etc. 

I deal a lot with fraud and risk management issues.  I totally get why places go to cards only.  It is a huge risk to have employees make bank deposits/withdrawals.  Google "bank jugging" or "restaurant safe" to check my oil on this.  There is also more risk of employee fraud if cash is accepted at a store.

All that said, I always try to tip via cold hard cash that is directly given to the bartender or server that I appreciated.  Hard for anybody to muck that up.

I will not patronize a place that refuses to accept cash. It is typically seen in DFW in hipster places looking to convert most of their latte emporium into a high tech nonhumaninteraction place. It is elitist and a way to make sure poor folks and homeless are turned away. Fuck the digital currency bullshit. Cash is anonymous, and good for all debts and services.

Next in fees: a fee charged for collecting sales taxes for the state.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Anyway, I’m not paying 50K bills that I could ACH, which I get. I’m looking to drop a hundred bucks on dinner on vacation and like most normal people I don’t walk around with stacks of cash in my wallet. Businesses and consumers survived and thrived without this bullshit. Build it into your costs.  Stop pretending that it’s anything other than a way to buttfuck clients who don’t carry cash (first) and to likely increase the amount of income that isn’t easily trackable (second).

I figured that second bit out really quickly at one place where I paid by debit and demanded they take the charge off. They first had to go get the manager who tried to argue (it was on their sign that debit didn’t incur a fee) and then she stared daggers at me as she took the fee off. 

And yeah…at least one other place just lost all my business when I saw the little sign). I imagine establishments that cater to regulars and not one-time tourists will be less likely to do it, too. 

If it's built into the cost, then then CASH payer is the one who gets buttfucked.  They're paying a the cost of a fee they didn't incur.  The CC user is just paying the fee that was incurred and that fee is "built into the costs".  And if that fee is charged ON the CC bill, it's VERY easily tracked.  And if they charge it to debit users, that's not really any different than your solution of building it into the costs.

I'd rather they tell me about the fee and let me know I have a choice to avoid it.

Edited by Ag with kids
  • Hook 'Em 2

This is not new and pretty low down the list of things in life to be outraged about.

When I was at UT about 18 years ago (fuck, I’m getting old), they charged an extra fee for paying tuition by credit card. It made sense.

One of my insurance companies is that way currently. I can pay cash or card, but the fee for paying with a card outweighs the points benefit, so I pay cash.

Certain businesses flat out reject Amex because of the high fees. Doesn’t Costco do this or did that change?

Specs offers a cash or debit card discount, which is essentially a markup for people paying with a credit card.

I use a credit card whenever I can for the benefits, but I have no problem with a place that incentivizes cash payments.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Fuck the places that don't take cash. There's a food place in our building that won't take it. Sorry cash isn't good enough for you.

I don't even know how it's legal, but I'm sure there's some fine print in the definition of "legal tender" they're exploiting.

If it's built into the cost, then then CASH payer is the one who gets buttfucked.  They're paying a the cost of a fee they didn't incur.  The CC user is just paying the fee that was incurred and that fee is "built into the costs".  And if that fee is charged ON the CC bill, it's VERY easily tracked.  And if they charge it to debit users, that's not really any different than your solution of building it into the costs.
I'd rather they tell me about the fee and let me know I have a choice to avoid it.

Generally everything you buy at big retail these days is built on a margin contribution model. Every cost is factored in to figure out if one is actually making money. As we learned from the old revenue, GM%, GMROI model that big margins could be consumed by big uncalculated costs of business.

So yes you are paying for a percentage of credit card fees, the charges for a Wells Fargo truck to take cash, inventory costs, returns, bad produce, basically everything it costs to get it into your possession. Those costs aren’t assigned on a per transaction basis. Adding a three percent fee for cards that probably costs me 2.2% avg makes me money. I hate that shit.
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 2:42 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

What's about movers?  First time using a moving company.  I have no idea what the company pays them hourly, but I know roughly what they will be charging me per hour, and tipping someone already charging me 100+/hour isn't something I really want to do. 

I have always thrown at least 50 or a 100 at each mover, depending on how tough the job was.  Those poor fuckers work their asses off.  And I've never had one not be genuinely appreciative for it.  Maybe they're surprised because they look at me and think "this cheap fucker isn't tipping", but you can tell by their faces they're already thinking of the lap dances that's gonna buy them.  

• Haha 1

I personally love the 20% walked tab deal... that way, if I see too many people at the bar and I have my CC in hand, I can just split and know the tip gets added.  No worries.  They should just make that the standard.  Swipe, get your drinks, system automatically adds 20%.  That would be ideal.  AT A BAR.  Not at a taco truck or the walk-up window of a coffee shop or whatever.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Generally everything you buy at big retail these days is built on a margin contribution model. Every cost is factored in to figure out if one is actually making money. As we learned from the old revenue, GM%, GMROI model that big margins could be consumed by big uncalculated costs of business.

So yes you are paying for a percentage of credit card fees, the charges for a Wells Fargo truck to take cash, inventory costs, returns, bad produce, basically everything it costs to get it into your possession. Those costs aren’t assigned on a per transaction basis. Adding a three percent fee for cards that probably costs me 2.2% avg makes me money. I hate that shit.

Our CC processor gets the charged fee, we don’t. The 3% add on goes to them and we have a lower negotiated debit/ACH fee.

I’m amazed people spend this much time worrying about all of it. If I go eat, I just pay what it is they tell me to pay. It’s ludicrous to get butthurt over a CC fee as long as they are up front about it. It would never occur to me to turn around and leave because of a CC fee, an auto tip %, or much of anything else actually.

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Cool.  If you want to charge your CC customers extra, more power to you.  Those customers (99%) will frequent other businesses very quickly.

see above

It’s nowhere near 99%, we’ve had very few people even comment on it. Use your debit card if it’s a problem and you don’t have cash.