"Add a Tip"

Ghost of LL

I had cash in hand this week which is rarer these days, and so I paid for lunches several times with a palpable sense of satisfaction that the "Square Toast iPad Turn 'n' Tip" dance was thwarted at each location.

That said, I tipped cash jar at Leroy and Lewis because it's hot as fuck and I'd probably pay 20% more for it regardless.

• Hook 'Em 2

I was discussing this thread with a woman at work the other morning. At lunch, I get a text from her. She had gone to Royal Blue and picked up a pre-made sandwich. Goes to pay and hits skip on the tip screen when the tablet is turned around to her. The cashier says "I think you missed a step" and turns it back around to her with the tip screen up again. 

Fuck that. 

• Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

I was discussing this thread with a woman at work the other morning. At lunch, I get a text from her. She had gone to Royal Blue and picked up a pre-made sandwich. Goes to pay and hits skip on the tip screen when the tablet is turned around to her. The cashier says "I think you missed a step" and turns it back around to her with the tip screen up again. 

Fuck that. 

I'm adding Royal Blue to my list and i haven't even eaten there. This thread is gonna save me a lot of time and money.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, BeardIP said:

This.

Also something I've seen that's interesting the last year and even just last week at the Gaylord Texan (came in to see TX/LAD), bellmen are a) very young/Gen-Z and b) want you to scan their cash app/venmo QR code and tip them that way, which I was happy to do because I wanted to give $10 and only had $20's.

When we got back from a family trip a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the driver of our parking shuttle had a QR code for tips.  I had cash (I'd planned ahead), so I tipped him that way (I always tip if I have ANY bags that the shuttle driver has to handle), but I made a mental note, because sometimes I forget to grab cash beforehand.

Just now, UTGrad98 said:

I'm adding Royal Blue to my list and i haven't even eaten there. This thread is gonna save me a lot of time and money.

Royal Blue. Fuck those stores. You buy a bag of chips with the $1.99 printed on the bag and take it to the register and it rings up for $2.69.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I guess I don't share your sense of humor.  Because they're two separate things.

1) People who work in fast food (or any other service industry) deserve a living wage.  And by the way--that's the term you used: "living wage."  So think about what you just said.  You apparently think some people in our society don't deserve a living wage.  That's gross.

2) Companies that put up a tip screen for positions that have not traditionally tipped suck.  There are a number of reasons for that conclusion, including (a) suspicion that the "tips" don't actually make it to the workers, and (b) that could enable the employer to lower wages while not reducing prices.  But it has nothing to do with any conclusion that the worker is making just too damned much money.

Nobody thinks that.

And you're an idiot.

This.

But in a man's voice.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deej said:

Fuck that. 

“Your tip for today is to buy low and sell high.”

The above lands better when you stare them straight in the eyes with a crazed, wide-eyed look.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I guess I don't share your sense of humor.  Because they're two separate things.

1) People who work in fast food (or any other service industry) deserve a living wage.  And by the way--that's the term you used: "living wage."  So think about what you just said.  You apparently think some people in our society don't deserve a living wage.  That's gross.

2) Companies that put up a tip screen for positions that have not traditionally tipped suck.  There are a number of reasons for that conclusion, including (a) suspicion that the "tips" don't actually make it to the workers, and (b) that could enable the employer to lower wages while not reducing prices.  But it has nothing to do with any conclusion that the worker is making just too damned much money.

Nobody thinks that.

And you're an idiot.

Hit too close to home I guess.

On 7/27/2023 at 5:56 PM, Deej said:

Fuck that. 

It should allow you to deduct 15% for that bullshit.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

I went to a show last night at The Parish and they had signs up that 20% would automatically be added to every bar tab. I assume that’s the direction we’re headed. 

I went to a pizza place last night where you order at counter and they drop it at your table. Added "service fees " to the bill instead of tip option.

At a baseball tournament today. Go up to the concession stand and order 2 waters. They hand me my waters, I give them my card. They turn the ipad back to me after inserting and it gives me the 18/20/22% tip screen. Nope. Give me a fucking break. I’m waiting to see one at a convenience store. 

• Rage+1 1

It's also worth remembering that the POS systems are incentivized to make tip screens the default and encourage tipping for every transaction (ever notice interfaces that make "no tip" difficult to select or you have to enter $0 as the custom amount?) because they get a cut from every transaction. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 8:29 AM, 4th&Five said:

I went to a show last night at The Parish and they had signs up that 20% would automatically be added to every bar tab. I assume that’s the direction we’re headed. 

This would actually save me money but I also assume a lot of people think 5.00 on a 200.00 bar tab is a good tip.

2 hours ago, KYHorn said:

It's also worth remembering that the POS systems are incentivized to make tip screens the default and encourage tipping for every transaction (ever notice interfaces that make "no tip" difficult to select or you have to enter $0 as the custom amount?) because they get a cut from every transaction. 

I'm not sure if they get a cut of the tip.  I flat don't know, but I imagine they don't.  

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

This would actually save me money but I also assume a lot of people think 5.00 on a 200.00 bar tab is a good tip.

I'm not sure if they get a cut of the tip.  I flat don't know, but I imagine they don't.  

They get a small percentage of the transaction, so that'd be awfully generous of them to create the software to exclude the tip. Surely there's a small business owner around here that knows for sure.

Edit: this guy says yes the POS companies do take their cut from the tip and cites relevant laws and policies. In fact, employers can deduct the transaction fee from the employee's tip in most states.

https://www.cardfellow.com/blog/employers-deduct-credit-card-processing-fees-from-tips/ 

Edited by KYHorn

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

At a baseball tournament today. Go up to the concession stand and order 2 waters. They hand me my waters, I give them my card. They turn the ipad back to me after inserting and it gives me the 18/20/22% tip screen. Nope. Give me a fucking break. I’m waiting to see one at a convenience store. 

This happened to me last fall at my son's high school football game.   I laughed and walked away.  The great thing is it was some middle aged Karen serving me (by serving I mean grabbing an already prepared bowl of stale nachos and a can of coke) that was obviously part of a booster group working concessions, and not some starving barista trying to pay off those philosophy grad school loans.  I felt zero guilt.

I'm with previous posters that have started boycotting places that want tips for doing their counter service non-bartender jobs.  Almost pulled into a subway yesterday but remembered they're in on the grift.  Which, now that I think about it, means that I somehow got comfortable with Jared being a pederass but tipping was my line in the sand.  Not sure what that says but I do hate Penn State if that helps.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

This happened to me last fall at my son's high school football game.   I laughed and walked away.  The great thing is it was some middle aged Karen serving me (by serving I mean grabbing an already prepared bowl of stale nachos and a can of coke) that was obviously part of a booster group working concessions, and not some starving barista trying to pay off those philosophy grad school loans.  I felt zero guilt.

I'm with previous posters that have started boycotting places that want tips for doing their counter service non-bartender jobs.  Almost pulled into a subway yesterday but remembered they're in on the grift.  Which, now that I think about it, means that I somehow got comfortable with Jared being a pederass but tipping was my line in the sand.  Not sure what that says but I do hate Penn State if that helps.

Subway should tip you for eating that crap.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 12:36 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

My biggest gripe in tipping culture, and this is more of an issue with booze - specifically buying beer to go at a brewery - is the expectation that you tip on the sale amount.

If I go to a brewery and have a pint of beer, but get a couple 4 packs to go I could drop $30 pretty fast, but all that the bartender did was get me a glass of beer.  Ergo, I tip cash on the beer right when I order it.  I usually tip a dollar per drink because it took the same effort to get me $1 High Life at happy hour as it did to pour some fancy Triple IPA that costs more than a regular 6 pack.

I buy wonder water CBD drinks from 8th Wonder in Houston.  I usually buy cases at a time and it's always around $300 (will last me 4-6 months).  I am not tipping them $60 for that, which is the suggested tip.  I hand the lady $10 cash and think it's plenty.  I grab the cases myself and take them to my truck.

• Like 1

Was in Colorado for July.  Multiple restaurants charged for refills of iced tea.  I just cannot fathom that kind of bullshit.

Fuck it, I started drinking water with all my meals just not to risk that kind of fucking.  I will pay for the $30 burger or chicken sandwich without bitching too much.  I get it, it's an expensive resort town.  But charging for refills of iced tea without even a warning?  The time I noticed it, I had 3 refills at $7 a pop.  A bridge too far for me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 6

7 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Was in Colorado for July.  Multiple restaurants charged for refills of iced tea.  I just cannot fathom that kind of bullshit.

Fuck it, I started drinking water with all my meals just not to risk that kind of fucking.  I will pay for the $30 burger or chicken sandwich without bitching too much.  I get it, it's an expensive resort town.  But charging for refills of iced tea without even a warning?  The time I noticed it, I had 3 refills at $7 a pop.  A bridge too far for me.

surprise wtf GIF

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's the consensus on minimum driver tip for delivery?  I'm thinking 25% but something like $7 minimum?  I'm way out of practice.

I just pick up my own food these days.  A) I can check it before I leave the place, B) it’s not cold bc it’s someone’s 8th delivery and C) I can nominally tip for the right order and not out of some sort of obligation that  someone drove me lukewarm or cold food 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I just pick up my own food these days.  A) I can check it before I leave the place, B) it’s not cold bc it’s someone’s 8th delivery and C) I can nominally tip for the right order and not out of some sort of obligation that  someone drove me lukewarm or cold food 

No car tonight.  They've all scattered and I was hungry, and in no mood to cook.

I work as a server and I am just astonished now at the amount of places that want tips. I sometimes will tip for coffee if it is a regular place I go to. I am not tipping someone for scanning my groceries. I am not tipping someone who sells me a bottle of coke. 

The rare times I will go out to eat (I spend enough time in restaurants and would rather not go out to eat) I always tip 33 percent. I feel that is a good amount to tip to a server. I am blessed in that I normally have really good guests that tip me well, but not everyone has it that good that serves so I make sure I tip well.

The rest of this tipping culture now is crazy to me though. If you want to work for tips become a server and you’ll earn your tips in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

No car tonight.  They've all scattered and I was hungry, and in no mood to cook.

To answer your question for the future, I pretty much always go with 25% or $5, whichever is greater. If I am ordering for delivery, it’s usually because my family schedule is out of whack for some reason, so I’d rather give the driver a good incentive for getting things to me on time than not. I had a guy volunteer randomly to me a while back that he brought my delivery first because my order had the biggest tip and he wanted to say thanks. Cool, worked out how I hoped. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

To answer your question for the future, I pretty much always go with 25% or $5, whichever is greater. If I am ordering for delivery, it’s usually because my family schedule is out of whack for some reason, so I’d rather give the driver a good incentive for getting things to me on time than not. I had a guy volunteer randomly to me a while back that he brought my delivery first because my order had the biggest tip and he wanted to say thanks. Cool, worked out how I hoped. 

Yeah, that’s pretty much our approach. The boy did some Doordash and pizzas for I Fratelli, and his feedback is consistent. Best to get at least a fiver on each delivery, more when the tab breaks $30.

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

I work as a server and I am just astonished now at the amount of places that want tips. I sometimes will tip for coffee if it is a regular place I go to. I am not tipping someone for scanning my groceries. I am not tipping someone who sells me a bottle of coke. 

The rare times I will go out to eat (I spend enough time in restaurants and would rather not go out to eat) I always tip 33 percent. I feel that is a good amount to tip to a server. I am blessed in that I normally have really good guests that tip me well, but not everyone has it that good that serves so I make sure I tip well.

The rest of this tipping culture now is crazy to me though. If you want to work for tips become a server and you’ll earn your tips in my opinion.

33%.  Wow.  For expected service my standard is 20% and i go up or down from there depending on the quality of the experience.  Not sorry for the humble brag, but the current tipping culture is yet another reason why I do more and more of my drinking and eating (especially drinking) at my country club.  Except for the golf bag room guys and for Christmas gifts, no add-on tipping there.