"Add a Tip"

Ghost of LL

7 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

Look, I know they don't have to refill your glass or ask you if you are ok, but there is someone plating your to go food into Styrofoam and making sure it is ok. In fact, that might be their main job on any given night.  A small tip shouldn't be out of the question.  Small tip.  I worked at an old diner in SA (I-10 Diner) in college. My job was to get wine and beer for waiters, make shakes and get deserts, and plate up to-go meals.  I also took to-go orders at the bar. Waiters always tipped me out and the non-assholes who ordered to go tipped me a little. 

But.... I do agree with most of what was stated in the first couple of posts. 

Yes, there is a lot more that goes into it besides throwing shit in a bag. Did they get your sides right? Did they include your sauces? Is everything in the bag?

You should pay, and tip, after confirming the order is 100% right.  Not get home and discover the order packed was wrong 

9 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I tip my long-time barber around 50% each time I get a haircut and 100% at Christmas.  Why?  Because she is really good at what she does, is always on schedule, and doesn't waste my time.  Plus, she's fun to talk to and attractive, so she's got that going for her, which is nice.

I tip my barber 30% each time and 200% at Christmas because I see him every couple weeks, and he's flexible with me.  He doesn't get pissed if I cancel two hours before an appointment, which I occasionally have to do because of work shit.  And ultimately, I want the guy who cuts my hair to be happy with me.

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

You are not way off. I’ve reached this conclusion recently as well. Like what the fuck I am doing with this bullshit. “Just a few questions”. Yeah, you literally punched three things into a touch pad. This shouldn’t even be a job. There should be two jobs, the person making the food and the person organizing the orders. 

Sadly, I still guilt myself into tipping the lowest choice these days. Even though I know I’m getting scammed, I still convince myself the person working needs the money more than I do. I hate myself 

But here's the thing: if we all agree that tipping in these situations is bullshit and we don't do it, then there's no basis to guilt yourself.  It'd be like tipping at the tire-repair shop or the doctor's office (seriously--wtf?).  Would it be nice if you tipped? Maybe.  But you don't feel any guilt for not tipping because nobody else does.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Yes, there is a lot more that goes into it besides throwing shit in a bag. Did they get your sides right? Did they include your sauces? Is everything in the bag?

You should pay, and tip, after confirming the order is 100% right.  Not get home and discover the order packed was wrong 

Isn't part of the higher expense of ordering food to go at a restaurant going to the very basic level of service "do the fucking job decently"? 

If not then why don't you tip the poor people working fast food? They're doing all of the exact same thing you just described. 

That's usually where I draw the line. If you aren't doing anything more for me than what the poor Guatemalan lady at the McDonald's drive thru is doing that doesn't get tipped then you don't either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

Isn't part of the higher expense of ordering food to go at a restaurant going to the very basic level of service "do the fucking job decently"? 

If not then why don't you tip the poor people working fast food? They're doing all of the exact same thing you just described. 

That's usually where I draw the line. If you aren't doing anything more for me than what the poor Guatemalan lady at the McDonald's drive thru is doing that doesn't get tipped then you don't either. 

The McDonald's by me has one homeless person under the ordering board, panhandling, and another sitting under the pay window. I have to not tip three people. 

• Haha 1

I’ve always been mildly annoyed when they list the various percentages.  I can divide by  4 or 5.  Or multiply by 2 and move the decimal point.  It’s a little insulting that you think I am not capable of doing something I learned in 3rd grade.  I could have 5 cocktails and a bottle of wine and still be capable of figuring out the tip.  Not as annoying as starting at 20% and going up to 35%, but still annoying nonetheless.

I just googled "torchy's jobs" and lo and behold their job listings literally say pay starts at $11/hr plus tip share. You fucks that are tipping for counter service are just feeding into the bad business practice of not paying decent wages while the customer foots the bill. Torchy's is not alone on this, it's every restaurant without a real waitstaff that has POS systems like the one's posted above. Stop tipping these places. Hell, fucking Sonic and Bill Miller's entry jobs start at $15/hr.  While a place like Torchy's and like may not sell the volume of product, they certainly charge more on a per item basis. 

Sit down restaurants with real waitstaff get tips. Same goes for pickup orders that were carefully packaged (but at a much lower percentage). Bartenders/carwash detailers of course. 

Don't feed the beast otherwise, because you're actually hurting the workers more than helping them. 

image.png.e46d1501bc4cfc77b86b3e5adfd2cec7.png

Edited by TankedBevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve always been mildly annoyed when they list the various percentages.  I can divide by  4 or 5.  Or multiply by 2 and move the decimal point.  It’s a little insulting that you think I am not capable of doing something I learned in 3rd grade.  I could have 5 cocktails and a bottle of wine and still be capable of figuring out the tip.  Not as annoying as starting at 20% and going up to 35%, but still annoying nonetheless.

Go on...

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 1

I'm a tipper, and a good one.  I learned from being a waiter back in my college days, and having a mentor explain to me early in my career about tipping when traveling (I didn't grow up staying in hotels and such -- we were a motel family).  So, I tip waiters well.  When I travel, I bring a bunch of 5s and 10s, and tip bell hops, leave a tip out for housekeeping, etc.  And I always, always take good care of my bartender -- in fact, START your evening with the tip if you plan on parking at the bar.  I order a drink, put a $20 in the jar, and explain "I'm gonna be here for a bit, I appreciate you taking care of me.  And there's more at the end of the night."  Always tip my barber well, and a much bigger tip at Christmas.  Shit, we leave out gift cards for our mail carrier and trash crew.

But I share GOLL's frustration with the tipping EVERYWHERE.  I was very willing to do so during the pandemic, when I was doing so to keep people employed at businesses we loved, etc.  But now....yeah, if it's counter service, no or minimal tip.  And if you flip the ipad around and it's defaulted to 25% or more, F that noise.  I've gotten skilled at the "custom tip" button - I'll often throw a dollar or two on there, and that's it (or nothing, if it's just counter service).

Places like Torchy's piss me off.  You're already charging me $6+ for a fucking taco on a storebought tortilla.  Pay your fucking employees, assholes.  Hell, I don't mind some places that flat-out disclose that X portion of their price, or some adder to their price, is for employee compensation.  Good.  Pay the people.

• Hook 'Em 2

I no longer tip in service industries where I can do the work myself. Carry 5 plates of food and drinks without spilling it? Tip. Enter my order on a touchscreen tablet? No tip. Make a specialty drink that's smooth, tasty, and goes down without a bite? Tip. Twist open the cap on a beer? No tip.

47 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I just googled "torchy's jobs" and lo and behold their job listings literally say pay starts at $11/hr plus tip share. You fucks that are tipping for counter service are just feeding into the bad business practice of not paying decent wages while the customer foots the bill. Torchy's is not alone on this, it's every restaurant without a real waitstaff that has POS systems like the one's posted above. Stop tipping these places. Hell, fucking Sonic and Bill Miller's entry jobs start at $15/hr.  While a place like Torchy's and like may not sell the volume of product, they certainly charge more on a per item basis. 

Sit down restaurants with real waitstaff get tips. Same goes for pickup orders that were carefully packaged (but at a much lower percentage). Bartenders/carwash detailers of course. 

Don't feed the beast otherwise, because you're actually hurting the workers more than helping them. 

image.png.e46d1501bc4cfc77b86b3e5adfd2cec7.png

Is that Torchy's in Houston because I'm pretty sure Tacodeli in Austin will get you $15+.  Austin may be more expensive but at least jobs like this pay more.  Friend's daughter works at a brewery near Dripping bussing tables at $20/hour plus tip share.  

20 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I no longer tip in service industries where I can do the work myself. Carry 5 plates of food and drinks without spilling it? Tip. Enter my order on a touchscreen tablet? No tip. Make a specialty drink that's smooth, tasty, and goes down without a bite? Tip. Twist open the cap on a beer? No tip.

You don't tip the bartender?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Is that Torchy's in Houston because I'm pretty sure Tacodeli in Austin will get you $15+.  Austin may be more expensive but at least jobs like this pay more.  Friend's daughter works at a brewery near Dripping bussing tables at $20/hour plus tip share.  

That particular listing was for SA. I went ahead and checked out Austin and it's the same listing but pay was changed tp say "Up to $14/hr plus tip share". 

My biggest gripe in tipping culture, and this is more of an issue with booze - specifically buying beer to go at a brewery - is the expectation that you tip on the sale amount.

If I go to a brewery and have a pint of beer, but get a couple 4 packs to go I could drop $30 pretty fast, but all that the bartender did was get me a glass of beer.  Ergo, I tip cash on the beer right when I order it.  I usually tip a dollar per drink because it took the same effort to get me $1 High Life at happy hour as it did to pour some fancy Triple IPA that costs more than a regular 6 pack.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm a tipper, and a good one.  I learned from being a waiter back in my college days, and having a mentor explain to me early in my career about tipping when traveling (I didn't grow up staying in hotels and such -- we were a motel family).  So, I tip waiters well.  When I travel, I bring a bunch of 5s and 10s, and tip bell hops, leave a tip out for housekeeping, etc.  And I always, always take good care of my bartender -- in fact, START your evening with the tip if you plan on parking at the bar.  I order a drink, put a $20 in the jar, and explain "I'm gonna be here for a bit, I appreciate you taking care of me.  And there's more at the end of the night."  Always tip my barber well, and a much bigger tip at Christmas.  Shit, we leave out gift cards for our mail carrier and trash crew.

But I share GOLL's frustration with the tipping EVERYWHERE.  I was very willing to do so during the pandemic, when I was doing so to keep people employed at businesses we loved, etc.  But now....yeah, if it's counter service, no or minimal tip.  And if you flip the ipad around and it's defaulted to 25% or more, F that noise.  I've gotten skilled at the "custom tip" button - I'll often throw a dollar or two on there, and that's it (or nothing, if it's just counter service).

Places like Torchy's piss me off.  You're already charging me $6+ for a fucking taco on a storebought tortilla.  Pay your fucking employees, assholes.  Hell, I don't mind some places that flat-out disclose that X portion of their price, or some adder to their price, is for employee compensation.  Good.  Pay the people.

I’ve never understood the tip for a haircut.  The lady who cuts my hair used to work at a place with 10 chairs.  She now has her own stall at one of those places that has something like 50 stalls that they rent out to individual hairstylists.  Probably 150 sq. ft. each.  So not a lot of overhead.  She charges $35 and it takes her about 30 minutes  to do the job.  That’s $70/hr and if you text her for an appointment her first availability is always at least a week out sometime 2 or 3. So not a lot of downtime for her..  I like her and she does a good job, and I tip her because of societal norms, but at this point she’s a successful small business owner doing pretty well for herself, not somebody making minimum wage or less.

also, haven’t been to a Torchy’s in a long time.  A good tortilla doesn’t automatically guarantee a good taco,  but a bad tortilla can certainly fuck up what otherwise might be a good taco.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My biggest gripe in tipping culture, and this is more of an issue with booze - specifically buying beer to go at a brewery - is the expectation that you tip on the sale amount.

If I go to a brewery and have a pint of beer, but get a couple 4 packs to go I could drop $30 pretty fast, but all that the bartender did was get me a glass of beer.  Ergo, I tip cash on the beer right when I order it.  I usually tip a dollar per drink because it took the same effort to get me $1 High Life at happy hour as it did to pour some fancy Triple IPA that costs more than a regular 6 pack.

I get it.  Back in the day beers were like 3.75 so you surely didn't tip 65 cents per beer etc.  

Controversial, but when you order wine, how much do you tip on it?  Do you tip more for a 300.00 bottle of wine vs 30.00?

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I get it.  Back in the day beers were like 3.75 so you surely didn't tip 65 cents per beer etc.  

Controversial, but when you order wine, how much do you tip on it?  Do you tip more for a 300.00 bottle of wine vs 30.00?

Yeah, $1/drink is my go-to when tipping cash.  If that's a 100% tip or a 5% tip, the effort from the bartender was the same.

I've never ordered a $300 bottle of wine in my life, and I doubt I ever would.  But I don't think you should have to tip more for that bottle than the $30 one.  Fuck, you shouldn't tip more for that than a bottle of Charles Schwab.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve never understood the tip for a haircut.  The lady who cuts my hair used to work at a place with 10 chairs.  She now has her own stall at one of those places that has something like 50 stalls that they rent out to individual hairstylists.  Probably 150 sq. ft. each.  So not a lot of overhead.  She charges $35 and it takes her about 30 minutes  to do the job.  That’s $70/hr and if you text her for an appointment her first availability is always at least a week out sometime 2 or 3. So not a lot of downtime for her..  I like her and she does a good job, and I tip her because of societal norms, but at this point she’s a successful small business owner doing pretty well for herself, not somebody making minimum wage or less.

also, haven’t been to a Torchy’s in a long time.  A good tortilla doesn’t automatically guarantee a good taco,  but a bad tortilla can certainly fuck up what otherwise might be a good taco.

The lady who cuts my hair is self employed, and charges a low rate.  Her building's been paid off for 20 years, and she's pocketing cash at this point.

She charges $11 for a cut, and I leave $15.  I've been going there for over a decade, and she's always willing to sneak my in during the middle of planting and harvest if we get a rain day, and doesn't mind if shit comes up and I have to cancel.  I'd have to think that leaving that tip over the years has built some good will that's in turn lead to that flexibility.

As someone already mentioned the pandemic yeah we should all help who we can to keep business going but if I didn't tip your industry 10 years ago, I'm not tipping you now, these ipad flip screen POS is a major driver in this, fuck that thing and stare at me to guilt me that isn't going to work.

obligatory 

Edited by Smax
  • Hook 'Em 2

Every counter service place that prompts me for a tip, I put on the list and never return. In the past year we have saved thousands by eating more at home. Not to mention the health benefits. It's the rage that drives me and it feels good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I tip all the time.  These people aren't making a lot of money and if they get my order correct and are friendly enough Ill throw them a few bucks. 

This is where I'm at.  I can deal with it.  Shit is out of control, but no one is getting rich off my tips.

1 hour ago, UTGrad98 said:

Every counter service place that prompts me for a tip, I put on the list and never return. In the past year we have saved thousands by eating more at home. Not to mention the health benefits. It's the rage that drives me and it feels good. 

Pretty soon you will be a shut in.

First of all, Mr. #2 all over easy peasy haircut guy says fuck you to hell and back to all youz 30 min haircut guys. 

if you provide a service then you’re getting a tip, and I’m not believing the Dr office story.  I’ve always been of belief that FOH/BOH share tips at counter places, could be wrong as I often am.  The default starting at 25% is bullshit. 

5 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I don't tip the fast food workers. I tip to-go people in a restaurant because I did that job in HS.  It sucks.  And we had to tip out busboys and bartenders even though that was wayyyy before you could get alcoholic drinks to-go from a restaurant. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I don't tip the fast food workers. I tip to-go people in a restaurant because I did that job in HS.  It sucks.  And we had to tip out busboys and bartenders even though that was wayyyy before you could get alcoholic drinks to-go from a restaurant. 

Why wouldn't you tip fast food workers? They're doing the exact same job for you that the to go people at the restaurant are doing. Packing food into bags, drinks into cups, and handing them to you while taking your payment. 

It should either be tip both or tip neither. 

Usually, at the counter, that tip is going into a pool for FOH and BOH.  If it's a place I'm reasonably sure is pooling tips, I'll tip for counter service.  My kid works as a food runner at a BBQ joint.  So when I'm in there, I'm passing out money like Henry Hill at the Copa.  And I always carry cash when I travel and tip well.  Barber?  Absolutely!  Bartender?  You bet!  Drip coffee?  Nah.  

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Huh.  I go to a walk-in barbershop.  Been using the same guy(s) for 20 years in various incarnations.  Haircut is now $20.  I give him $25 -- figure a 25% tip is right.   Come Christmas, I pay him $50, sometimes more, depends on if I planned ahead and have more cash on me.  I mean, I remember getting an $8 cut at the Woo, and I gave the guy $10 even back then (25% tip has been my standard for haircuts).

And as to tortillas, in the future Authoritarian Hellscape of Brisketexan, which will nonetheless have many social benefits, serving tacos on packaged tortillas will cause an establishment to lose its restaurant permit.  You can eat whatever shit you want at home, by all the packages of Mission brand crap that you want.  But when you serve a member of the public, particularly in Texas, you have an obligation to serve real tortillas.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

Someone up thread was calculating an hourly wage based upon the amount charged for a cut.  I was just generally addressing that.

My lady is self employed with low overhead, and men’s haircut is the least expensive service she provides.  I don’t know what she charges the women for dye jobs and all the other shit women do to their hair, but I assume it’s a lot more.  She drives a pretty new Audii Q7.  She’s not a college kid putting herself through school waiting tables.  I tip her because that is the norm, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.  I suppose it made more sense to me when I paid $10 for a haircut at a place with a couple of chairs, a barber pole out front, and Playboys on the table in the waiting area. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not even the Sonic gals/guys who skate out to your car with your order? 

We tip extra during the Holidays, give our mail carrier a Dunkin’ $25 gift card but have never for Trash/Recycle and not sure why. 

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My lady is self employed with low overhead, and men’s haircut is the least expensive service she provides.  I don’t know what she charges the women for dye jobs and all the other shit women do to their hair, but I assume it’s a lot more.  She drives a pretty new Audii Q7.  She’s not a college kid putting herself through school waiting tables.  I tip her because that is the norm, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.  I suppose it made more sense to me when I paid $10 for a haircut at a place with a couple of chairs, a barber pole out front, and Playboys on the table in the waiting area. 

I caught that.  Most barbers and hairdressers aren't in that position.  The rule used to be - tip regular barbers every cut and if your barber is the owner, tip them at Christmas.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

A neighbor posted her doctors office now asked for tips when checking out. A fucking doc’s office. Said the clerk asked “wouu you’ll you like to leave a tip?” Fuck you.

The clerk at my doctor's office is hot enough that I'm willing to give her the tip.  Maybe more if she's lucky.

5 minutes ago, Underdog said:

We tip extra during the Holidays, give our mail carrier a Dunkin’ $25 gift card but have never for Trash/Recycle and not sure why. 

Lol ain’t been to Sonic in over a decade. Closest one to me closed and was drive-thru only. Do they still skate? 

39 minutes ago, Underdog said:

To me, if they bring your food out to your car, they should get a tip.  That's why I don't go to Sonic unless they have a drive through.