"Add a Tip"

Ghost of LL

30 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

What could possibly go wrong leaving your tab open all night at a bar and not knowing what was charged to you until a month later when you get a bill?  

this has happened to me multiple times but my last name is extremely common.

4 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

For coins it doesn't matter. But change does matter if I buy one beer for $6 and all I have is a twenty in my wallet.

Buy 2 beers.😁

Not disagreeing.  The cash thing is fucked up, IMHO.  Especially in Texas, I'd have a hard time seeing that become pervasive in our service industry.  Yeah ballparks do it.  Then it is very few and far between.

Edited by slorch

I'm not a Starbucks guy but I had to stop off to get something for someone else.  I get a lemon pastry and water.  The girl smiles and turns the machine and asks for tip, leaning out the window staring right at me.  I lean right back, lean in and to her face say, "Nah, no tip. Thanks!".  The she haz sad look was priceless.  You didn't even make a coffee and the cake is pre-made you twit!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Buy 2 beers.😁

Not disagreeing.  The cash thing is fucked up, IMHO.  Especially in Texas, I'd have a hard time seeing that become pervasive in our service industry.  Yeah ballparks do it.  Then it is very few and far between.

Was over at a coffee place by the UT campus and noticed that next door to the coffee place there is some fried chicken restaurant.  Anyway, big sign on the order window... no cash.  I'm seeing more of it.

52 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Was over at a coffee place by the UT campus and noticed that next door to the coffee place there is some fried chicken restaurant.  Anyway, big sign on the order window... no cash.  I'm seeing more of it.

I think people should take cash, but if you’re going to charge an extra fee for card transactions then for fucks sake you better be ready to make change. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 11:39 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

On tipping, I’ll tip if the person I’m interacting with does something beyond facilitate the transaction. And I slide based on the rule of tipping the waiter (standard 20 percent). So if you do less than a waiter, the tip is less than 20 and if you do more or more strenuous work, the tip goes up. 

So today at the bagel place there was one guy working, and he took the order then sliced/smeared the bagels and wrapped them up and handed them to me. So he got a tip of a bit over ten percent. But if he had been just the cashier and someone else prepped the bagels, I’d have pressed “no tip.” Maybe capricious but it’s just how I’ve worked it out. 

"So if you do less than a waiter, the tip is less than 20 and if you do more or more strenuous work, the tip goes up. "

Immediately after you say that you go to a bagel place, place an order with the guy, he takes your order, makes your food, packages everything up, serves it to you, and you only tip "a bit over 10 percent." You're a cheap bastard.

On 8/6/2023 at 9:35 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Look at this fucking bullshit at a place that adds a card service fee.  I eagerly await the explanation about how it’s really just an “exact change discount” and totally legitimate.

image.thumb.jpeg.8454471bea83e02c1ca32dca8cc5aad9.jpeg

You're at a place where you can get a cheeseburger AND WINGS for twelve fucking dollars, and you're complaining that they won't make change? You're a cheap bastard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 8/7/2023 at 7:24 AM, slorch said:

Yeah ballparks do it.

Our NBA arena went cashless during covid and stayed that way. Something about handling dirty cash. Not sure cards are that much cleaner but whatever. Personally, I think they got tired of employees skimming the till. 

Edited by Sandman

On 8/9/2023 at 11:28 PM, irishtexan said:

"So if you do less than a waiter, the tip is less than 20 and if you do more or more strenuous work, the tip goes up. "

Immediately after you say that you go to a bagel place, place an order with the guy, he takes your order, makes your food, packages everything up, serves it to you, and you only tip "a bit over 10 percent." You're a cheap bastard.

You're at a place where you can get a cheeseburger AND WINGS for twelve fucking dollars, and you're complaining that they won't make change? You're a cheap bastard.

how the fuck is this different than someone at mcdonald's taking your order, having it made, packaging it up, and serving it to you? you're gonna tip them too? fuck that shit

if i'm walking up to any counter, and picking up my food, rather than sitting at a table and being WAITED on and having my food brought out and then the table cleaned up after me, you ain't getting shit for tips.

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, El Tri said:

how the fuck is this different than someone at mcdonald's taking your order, having it made, packaging it up, and serving it to you? you're gonna tip them too? fuck that shit

if i'm walking up to any counter, and picking up my food, rather than sitting at a table and being WAITED on and having my food brought out and then the table cleaned up after me, you ain't getting shit for tips.

Full disclosure, I had had a few whiskeys when I responded and what I thought was written in good-natured shit talking came off totally dickish. My bad and sorry 956.

But I don't think your analogy is comparable. The guy at McDonald is punching an order into a computer, grabbing a bag of food someone in the back put together, and handing it to the customer. 956 wrote "So today at the bagel place there was one guy working, and he took the order then sliced/smeared the bagels and wrapped them up and handed them to me." So in this case, one guy is working the entire place, takes the order, makes the food, packaged everything up, etc. He facilitated the entire transaction. Bagel guy did more work. Certainly more work than a bartender opening a bottle of beer or even making a cocktail. However, unfortunately, "tipping culture" has blurred the lines of who we tip and who we don't, as well as how much we tip. 

And to reiterate on my second point, if I can get a whole burger AND wings for $12, I'm not gonna complain about them not making change. Basically because I can always use a debit card. Who ONLY carries cash, and who pays cash when you can use a card? I save my cash for transactions that REQUIRE cash like tipping hellhops and airport shuttle drivers. And again burger PLUS WINGS. $12? Sign me the fuck up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Waiter gets taxed on percent of sales. 

explain...( never worked in service industry)

That doesn't make sense to me across shifts/ etc/etc.

Edited by slorch

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

explain...( never worked in service industry)

That doesn't make sense to me across shifts/ etc/etc.

Government assumes waiters make at least ten percent of sales on tips.  So the waiter can’t just say “everyone stuffed me today I only made 20.00).  Now most people are tipped on cc not cash anyway but that 10% is what restaurants will make waiters claim , minus what they share with the hostess , basset and food runner.  

I remember Ruth’s Chris used to prepay waiter taxes.  Generally you get a higher level service at del Frisco vs Chili’s.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Tri said:

McDonald’s guy also makes at least minimum wage. In glorious Texas, waiters make 2.13

On 8/9/2023 at 10:52 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Told the bride about this thread.  She says that she's always been unashamedly on "Team No Tip" for any counter service places (with a smile, of course).

She's always been agreeable to "Team Just the Tip" with me. Definitely a big smile, which is nice. 😀

51 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

McDonald’s guy also makes at least minimum wage. In glorious Texas, waiters make 2.13

I probably don't know what I am talking about, but if a waiter doesn't make at least make minimum wage between base pay and tips isn't the employer responsible for the difference?  Also wouldn't a shitty McDs manager be able to pay his workers 2.13 an hour if he can prove that tips bring them up to minimum wage?

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

yes, but we're not talking about a waiter. we're talking about some guy working behind a counter preparing bagels and i assume coffee. they definitely get more than $2.13

I probably don't know what I am talking about, but if a waiter doesn't make at least make minimum wage between base pay and tips isn't the employer responsible for the difference?  Also wouldn't a shitty McDs manager be able to pay his workers 2.13 an hour if he can prove that tips bring them up to minimum wage?

Not when I was a server.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Technically yes, the employer has to make up that gap.  

Idk about the Mcdonald's question but I would assume so.  But who tips at McDonalds? 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Idk about the Mcdonald's question but I would assume so.  But who tips at McDonalds? 

They need an ipad...

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Nobody, Mcdonalds was just a stand in for any food service that people traditionally never tipped but are now being asked to.  In theory those workers could be shifted to the 2.13 waiter wage scale if enough people tip.  Also if a restaurant pays it's servers minimum wage or more, aren't they basically be able to keep all tips?  The whole thing is ass backwards in our society.  Even in simpler times there wasn't much logic in it.

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Government assumes waiters make at least ten percent of sales on tips.  So the waiter can’t just say “everyone stuffed me today I only made 20.00).  Now most people are tipped on cc not cash anyway but that 10% is what restaurants will make waiters claim , minus what they share with the hostess , basset and food runner.  

I remember Ruth’s Chris used to prepay waiter taxes.  Generally you get a higher level service at del Frisco vs Chili’s.   

I will say the only thing missing from the service at Per Se to make it 100% perfect was a fluffer to end the evening...

On 8/9/2023 at 11:28 PM, irishtexan said:

So the little disclosure on our printed money that states " This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" is becoming less applicable?

I do find it interesting though because many of the Circle Ks , etc are now offering up the 10 cents per gallon discount for using cash.  And some Mom and Pop establishments  are doing the same to avoid having to pay the banks a percentage of their sales for debt and credit card transactions.  

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I do find it interesting though because many of the Circle Ks , etc are now offering up the 10 cents per gallon discount for using cash.  And some Mom and Pop establishments  are doing the same to avoid having to pay the banks a percentage of their sales for debt and credit card transactions.  

Cash transactions will be one of the first things to go when people for freedom establish a authoritarian government

• Like 1