"Add a Tip"

Ghost of LL

5 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

I appreciate that, though you expect service work in casual dining to be of a higher income station, you aren't so entitled to expect a tip no matter the service.

So I will disagree there.  But also realize I’m not going to change any minds.  

not sure what you mean by higher income station

Edited by closetohumping

On 8/27/2023 at 10:23 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

So the bigger question is, with all the other sandwich shops available, why the fuck would anyone ever choose to eat at Subway?

asked..

On 8/27/2023 at 10:24 PM, Brisketexan said:

Spoken like someone who’s never had to grab a meal at the nearest rural gas station, only to be disappointed that it’s one of those gas stations with a subway and not a deep fryer.

and answered.

On 8/25/2023 at 9:45 AM, Brisketexan said:

I could pay for our meal, but only had enough to tip like a buck and some change.

I took my first real date to Pizza Hut and a movie. I had just turned 16, and I was pretty awkward and nervous. We got up to leave, and she asked me if I was going to leave a tip. I was so flustered that I reached in my jeans pocket, pulled out a handful of coins (nerd alert!), and put it on the table without counting. I told her that’s how I always tip, just empty my pockets and it’s either a bonanza for the waitress or it’s not. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I took my first real date to Pizza Hut and a movie. I had just turned 16, and I was pretty awkward and nervous. We got up to leave, and she asked me if I was going to leave a tip. I was so flustered that I reached in my jeans pocket, pulled out a handful of coins (nerd alert!), and put it on the table without counting. I told her that’s how I always tip, just empty my pockets and it’s either a bonanza for the waitress or it’s not. 

And you are celebrating 30 years next week?

Today I got coffee with a colleague (colleague’s turn to buy) and we went to a place that has drip coffees in those canisters. Order, pay, the cashier points us to the size cups. We grab the cups, fill and mix the coffee to liking. 

The screen asked about adding a tip and the guy DID! 15 percent! 

FUCK THAT. I get that it’s standard and maybe you want to tip if you’re getting exotic made coffee but they are making out like bandits on social pressure from people getting their own cup and pouring their own gotdamn coffee, like at the gas station. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I would rather lick a cat's ass than eat a Subway meatball.

So....you'd rather have the #5 than the #8, that's all you had to say.

If you're gonna order the #5 cat's ass, be sure to get extra jalapenos and extra banana peppers - pro tip, it really adds some zing to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2023 at 2:30 PM, closetohumping said:

Lol. Will you pay me what I make now?  Cover my insurance, 401k etc? If so I need three years upfront as it would be a career shift.  

we can talk offline about numbers and logistics.  Message me 

Ok, so you're a liar.

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Today I got coffee with a colleague (colleague’s turn to buy) and we went to a place that has drip coffees in those canisters. Order, pay, the cashier points us to the size cups. We grab the cups, fill and mix the coffee to liking. 

The screen asked about adding a tip and the guy DID! 15 percent! 

FUCK THAT. I get that it’s standard and maybe you want to tip if you’re getting exotic made coffee but they are making out like bandits on social pressure from people getting their own cup and pouring their own gotdamn coffee, like at the gas station. 

In the old days (i.e., 2019), I just use to drop the change in the jar and it was probably 15% or more on a cup of coffee most of the time.

I don't mind tipping. I don't think that most of us here do. But these goddamned tablets and the shift in expectation they represent has gotten out of control and it all needs to be shot into the sun.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

In the old days (i.e., 2019), I just use to drop the change in the jar and it was probably 15% or more on a cup of coffee most of the time.

I don't mind tipping. I don't think that most of us here do. But these goddamned tablets and the shift in expectation they represent has gotten out of control and it all needs to be shot into the sun.  

I have no issues dropping change at a coffee shop but I’ll be dammed if I do even that for a cup of coffee where I get my own cup, lid, sleeve, and then pour it myself. That’s like tipping the checker at the gas station. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I have no issues dropping change at a coffee shop but I’ll be dammed if I do even that for a cup of coffee where I get my own cup, lid, sleeve, and then pour it myself. That’s like tipping the checker at the gas station. 

hqdefault.jpg

On 8/28/2023 at 9:38 PM, jimmyjazz said:

The logical explanation?  Did you take any math classes past, say, 5th grade?

The logical explanation is that minimum wage + tips tends to exceed $15/hr, so shifting to a base of $15/hr with no tipping would be a pay cut.  Is that what you want?  Do you want to reduce pay for low paid workers?  

Sorry, I somehow missed this and not sure why we need to throw around aspersions when having a discussion, but no that's not what I want.

What I am saying is:

The ideal approach is to take the average hourly rate that your daughter makes and deems worth doing the job for and give that dollar amount and do away with the tipping. $25/hour and no tips, for example, or whatever it is. I think we all agree that this will never happen because while restaurant owners will try to push that cost on diners, restaurant owners probably can't increase prices to where they need to be for us to bear the full cost and remain competitive or reasonable, and will have to eat some of it. Pun intended and owners won't generally want to do this.

The current approach: $2.13/hr + tips (20-25% being the socially acceptable standard). This has your daughter and her peers making some number of money that they deem acceptable which you've implied is much higher than $15/hour.

If servers/society wants to change the server/diner model and offer: $15/hr + tips, then my argument is that the socially acceptable standard should be lowered from the 20-25% to keep servers making the money they currently deem acceptable, whatever that is. The diners/consumer ought to be given the option to, by paying the listed menu price for the food on a menu, happily accept the restaurant owner footing the cost of the living wage for their employees versus the diner.

Edited by animaltobacco11
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Well my non 1% ass just found out that you're supposed to tip both when you drop the car off and when you pick it up from a valet.  At least that's what the googles said.  I've always just tipped picking it up.

No. Fuck this. I tip when I pick up, unless I know it'll be on a different shift and the dropoff guy won't be there.

Only exception is when I'm asking them to park me in a prime spot out front so I can look like a baller and impress the chicks. (This has never actually occurred.)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, animaltobacco11 said:

Sorry, I somehow missed this and not sure why we need to throw around aspersions when having a discussion, but no that's not what I want.

What I am saying is:

The ideal approach is to take the average hourly rate that your daughter makes and deems worth doing the job for and give that dollar amount and do away with the tipping. $25/hour and no tips, for example, or whatever it is. I think we all agree that this will never happen because while restaurant owners will try to push that cost on diners, restaurant owners probably can't increase prices to where they need to be for us to bear the full cost and remain competitive or reasonable, and will have to eat some of it. Pun intended and owners won't generally want to do this.

The current approach: $2.13/hr + tips (20-25% being the socially acceptable standard). This has your daughter and her peers making some number of money that they deem acceptable which you've implied is much higher than $15/hour.

If servers/society wants to change the server/diner model and offer: $15/hr + tips, then my argument is that the socially acceptable standard should be lowered from the 20-25% to keep servers making the money they currently deem acceptable, whatever that is. The diners/consumer ought to be given the option to, by paying the listed menu price for the food on a menu, happily accept the restaurant owner footing the cost of the living wage for their employees versus the diner.

I don't see why restaurant owners can't bake tips into the menu prices.  I think customers would appreciate it,  based on the whole tipflation thing becoming an issue.

I have never had a problem with tipping.   What I think is weird  is the expectation that I am responsible for helping servers obtain a living wage.  That's the restaurant owner's responsibility.  These people are not my employees. I sympathize, but I hate being pressured into tipping sometimes 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

I don't see why restaurant owners can't bake tips into the menu prices.  I think customers would appreciate it,  based on the whole tipflation thing becoming an issue.

I have never had a problem with tipping.   What I think is weird  is the expectation that I am responsible for helping servers obtain a living wage.  That's the restaurant owner's responsibility.  These people are not my employees. I sympathize, but I hate being pressured into tipping sometimes 

image.jpeg.136c64381cf707e9f0470d98dcf9535c.jpeg

Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

I'm fine with waitstaff making whatever it takes to end tipping.  I'd rather just pay the bill of 125 and no tip, than 100 plus a 25 tip.  All tipping does is allow for cheapskates to snub waitstaff or shitty managers to screw them over.

Not only that, but it's transparent. Tipping is like the dealership model of car buying. Just list the price of the vehicle and let me decide to buy it or not. List the price of food similarly. 

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Metoo.  I wonder if valets pool tips?

To be honest, I was taking my wife downtown for her birthday a couple of weeks ago.  I knew ahead of time that we'd be using a valet.  I looked up how to tip a valet.  It was some weird formula like $5 at dropoff, then 20% of the parking fee or somesuch.  As one who relied on tips for several years while putting my wife and I through college, I'd rather err on the side of tipping too much or too often over accidentally stiffing someone.  We can afford it.  It's no big deal.

24 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I'm fine with waitstaff making whatever it takes to end tipping.  I'd rather just pay the bill of 125 and no tip, than 100 plus a 25 tip.  All tipping does is allow for cheapskates to snub waitstaff or shitty managers to screw them over.

I’m with you. Include the tip and we all pay the same.  Of course adding 25% screws over the cheapskates

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

Be honest...the main reason most servers would lose money if they raised pay and did away with tips is they wouldn't be able to dodge taxes on those cash tips.

I don't remember who but someone posted a while back that waiters are taxed on a % of sales, so the government is factoring in cash tips.  You'd only be pocketing the cash that was over whatever that % is.  Not that any of it matters much in a cashless society.

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

Be honest...the main reason most servers would lose money if they raised pay and did away with tips is they wouldn't be able to dodge taxes on those cash tips.

That's what I meant earlier when acknowledging that, and most servers agree, one of the benefits of the tip model is a) instant liquidity and TVM and b) the ability to be tax clever.

That's not to say be a cheat or tax evasion, but there are levers to pull for tax avoidance I hear.

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't remember who but someone posted a while back that waiters are taxed on a % of sales, so the government is factoring in cash tips.  You'd only be pocketing the cash that was over whatever that % is.  Not that any of it matters much in a cashless society.

Maybe not in a restaurant, but every friend I've ever known who tended bar would pour beers for no charge for certain regulars and then get the cash tip in the jar on each of those pours. Those aren't recorded sales. 

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Maybe not in a restaurant, but every friend I've ever known who tended bar would pour beers for no charge for certain regulars and then get the cash tip in the jar on each of those pours. Those aren't recorded sales. 

Yeah but that's stealing from the bar.  What does theft have to do with tip culture?  People in any industry can steal from their place of work.

7 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah but that's stealing from the bar.  What does theft have to do with tip culture?  People in any industry can steal from their place of work.

17 minutes ago, Deej said:

9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think a poster here had said they would get multiple glasses of wine for free and just tip the waiter 20 or 50 bucks.  That's not ok to me. That is theft. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think a poster here had said they would get multiple glasses of wine for free and just tip the waiter 20 or 50 bucks.  That's not ok to me. That is theft. 

It's textbook theft.  I've seen enough bar rescue to know that it's a common move in poorly ran establishments, but any cash transaction can be pocketed if the business is poorly managed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It's textbook theft.  I've seen enough bar rescue to know that it's a common move in poorly ran establishments, but any cash transaction can be pocketed if the business is poorly managed. 

Short of having a camera on the toll and bartender you can’t catch all theft.   This is also why “dine and dash” can be a grey area.  “Hey table 61 left when I was using the can. Whoops “ doesn’t fly

One huge thing in taking away tipping and baking it in to prices is that it will incentivize restaurants to understaff since they are paying the full freight, so they will not want to pay servers $25/hour to stand around.

Also, servers will really not want to work the busy times or Friday and Saturday nights. Now the benefit of those is you make more. If I can get $25/hr to lose my weekend and bust my ass or $25/hr to work a table or two on a Wed afternoon, why would I possibly take option 1?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TXSooner518 said:

One huge thing in taking away tipping and baking it in to prices is that it will incentivize restaurants to understaff since they are paying the full freight, so they will not want to pay servers $25/hour to stand around.

Also, servers will really not want to work the busy times or Friday and Saturday nights. Now the benefit of those is you make more. If I can get $25/hr to lose my weekend and bust my ass or $25/hr to work a table or two on a Wed afternoon, why would I possibly take option 1?

Tipping "big" in restaurants is mostly a North American thing.  Many countries around the world have figured out how to staff and run restaurants without tipping.  It's just our custom/culture and it's hard to change.  But it needs to and should.  

The recent tip creep nonsense has turned me into an ardent non-tipper except for sit down restaurants and a few other places.  I was at MLB game last month and I grabbed my own food and rang myself up.  The ipad then asked me if I wanted to leave a tip.  Lulz.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

It will be in the restaurants best interest to staff efficiently.  The "easy shifts" shouldn't be easy because the restaurant should be staffed accordingly.  So overall it's slow, but there is less staff so you are covering more tables.  And the busy times would see more waitstaff.  That's obviously something they would have to learn.