wc KO day 3 :: shock OR awe

Hagbard Celine

11 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Poor Japan.  Great effort.

Is this the kind of win that could make Belgium invincible in this tournament?  

I dont know about invincible but they are the one team that I would like to avoid if possible.   Just so dangerous.  Great strikers and midfielders and they actually try to score.

17 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

lol only 4 min extra time

you see, because japan and belgium both play with some semblance of integrity and sportsmanship...unlike all the fuckfaces south of texas and north of antartica...30 minutes of the game wasn't spent rolling around the ground like a bunch of douchebags or people trying to kill each other on the field.  which was nice.  really hoping for france-belgium semis.

what a difference between the four on the left side of the bracket vs. the right side.  france, uruguay, brazil, and belgium instead of russia, croatia, probably england and switzerland.  jesus.  what good fortune for england to lose that game to belgium.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

THIS

I wrote the following on a chat for a WC knockout stage pool with high school friends. 

Lukaku’s run from the right wing to the middle opened up acres of space for the winger to receive the pass from KDB and then his run to goal and dummy took the defender out of the play and left a beautiful opportunity for the trailing player. 

Two brilliant moves on one run that enabled the goal and yet he didn’t even touch the ball. Amazingly smart & selfless.”

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

what a difference between the four on the left side of the bracket vs. the right side.  france, uruguay, brazil, and belgium instead of russia, croatia, probably england and switzerland.  jesus.  what good fortune for england to lose that game to belgium.

Don't worry. England will fuck it up.

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

you see, because japan and belgium both play with some semblance of integrity and sportsmanship...unlike all the fuckfaces south of texas and north of antartica...30 minutes of the game wasn't spent rolling around the ground like a bunch of douchebags or people trying to kill each other on the field. 

This shouldn't go unchallenged. 

It's almost like you have never watched matches played by countries on the Mediterranean.  

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

Don't worry. England will fuck it up.

It's like Christmas every 2 to 4 years.

2 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

This shouldn't go unchallenged. 

It's almost like you have never watched matches played by countries on the Mediterranean.  

It's like Christmas every 2 to 4 years.

I wasn’t being exclusive to central and South America, they were just on my mind from the morning. Sergio Ramos, Diego Costa, Pepe, and the entire Italian league can all go get proper fucked as far as I’m concerned. 

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

I wasn’t being exclusive to central and South America, they were just on my mind from the morning. Sergio Ramos, Diego Costa, Pepe, and the entire Italian league can all go get proper fucked as far as I’m concerned. 

Don't forget the Germans as well.  Klinsmann was as good an acrobat as there ever was.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

You know that Diego Costa & Pepe are both from Brazil, no?

Also, the Italian league isn’t what it once was. (I mean the diving, but the same could be said about the level of competition.)

However Sergio Ramos & most of Barcelona FC would fall into the category of which you are referring.

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

You know that Diego Costa & Pepe are both from Brazil, no? 

Also, the Italian league isn’t what it once was. (I mean the diving, but the same could be said about the level of competition.) 

However Sergio Ramos & most of Barcelona FC would fall into the category of which you are referring. 

yes, however, they play for spain and portugal and thus, my reference to them as a team on the med.  though it certainly is probably a contributing factor to them being so utterly trashy.

and kringelbert...please, the entire history of german football silliness couldn't compare to suarez and neymar's performances just over the last three days.

Edited by sidis

holy fucking shit.  i left to do some work when the game was 2-0.  my office door was briefly open and i could hear the second goal happen live.  ran down to watch the replay.  paused the game and took a conference call.  after the call, ran back to the tv, watched the game in fast-forward (especially after the 2nd goal) thinking i might be able to catch extra-time live. nope. game, waffles. holy fucking shit again.

Just now, conVINCEd said:

The Neymar barrel rolls are one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen in any sport.  They are so tight and precise, he has to practice them, right?

i think being a gaping vagina just comes naturally to him like some kid savants that step up to a piano the first time and can play bach without thinking. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i dunno about that klinnsman video. he went into dramatic hysterics, i agree, but i thought i saw a spikes up challenge that connected with his knee.

The challenge was bad without any contact and would get a red now (more worthy of a caution back then), but Klinsmann had his arms flailed as Mozon dove in.  It was also the first video I found.  If you don't know Klinsmanns reputation as a flop, I don't really know how to respond.

47 minutes ago, ScottishHorn said:

That's the best comeback I can remember in an elimination wc match.  I liked that they didnt play for ot

Kind of reminds me of our final versus Brazil in the Confederations Cup except Japan still played as hard as they could with a 2-0 lead while we played uninspired with one.

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

Kind of reminds me of our final versus Brazil in the Confederations Cup except Japan still played as hard as they could with a 2-0 lead while we played uninspired with one.

That's exactly the match that came to mind for me. But I think we had our 2-0 lead in the first half.

22 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

The challenge was bad without any contact and would get a red now (more worthy of a caution back then), but Klinsmann had his arms flailed as Mozon dove in.  It was also the first video I found.  If you don't know Klinsmanns reputation as a flop, I don't really know how to respond.

oh, i agree about the hysterics, and said as much in my post. i just didn't think that was as blatant as i've seen. now i know why that was the video was chosen, fair enough.

9 minutes ago, sidis said:

and kringelbert...please, the entire history of german football silliness couldn't compare to suarez and neymar's performances just over the last three days.

Fair enough, but when you start throwing all of South/Central America in one bag it starts to sound like bull shit.  Especially when I can cherry pick players from all the other countries including Western Europe, where players embellish and flop and have for a long time.

Most of the times I hear things like the initial comment you had, and this is completely anecdotal and in no way meaning to refer back to yourself, the follow up comments are filled with political dog whistles.  So I took somewhere it didn't need to go, appologize and will drop it.

7 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I think uninspired is a bit harsh.  We were completely overrun during the first half of that game.  Brazil couldn't buy a goal and we had two awesome counters to go up.  The second half we just couldn't keep up with a much better team.

Friday is shaping up to be a good day at the bar.   

1 minute ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Fair enough, but when you start throwing all of South/Central America in one bag it starts to sound like bull shit.  Especially when I can cherry pick players from all the other countries including Western Europe, where players embellish and flop and have for a long time.

Most of the times I hear things like the initial comment you had, and this is completely anecdotal and in no way meaning to refer back to yourself, the follow up comments are filled with political dog whistles.  So I took somewhere it didn't need to go, appologize and will drop it.

I think uninspired is a bit harsh.  We were completely overrun during the first half of that game.  Brazil couldn't buy a goal and we had two awesome counters to go up.  The second half we just couldn't keep up with a much better team.

Friday is shaping up to be a good day at the bar.   

So we should call it Romance Language Flopping/Flopfest?