2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Assuming Sark wants to run Inside Zone they said Baxter is that guy.   

I think this is almost a guarantee. 

1) There are so many weapons at TE and WR that teams are going to have to commit numbers to the perimeter. Sark even hinted at this in one of the early press conferences. 

2) Big 12 defenses are undersized this year. It makes sense to run between the tackles based on opposing rosters. 

I know Ian Boyd is an idiot but he's right about the "smallish" Big 12 defenses this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I mean if Baxter is potentially the next Bijan, let’s hope Sark doesn’t handicap him his freshman year like turtle Tom. I feel pretty good about the staff letting the best players play regardless of class

I bet if Bijan didn’t almost break his neck on the field against Tech, he’d have received more playing time.

At the time it happened, my friends and I all thought he would likely be forced to retire from football.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You mention Gibbs and it's an excellent point to bring up. Gibbs is a stud. Bama normally has true studs at TB. They have two freshmen who might eventually fit that bill, maybe. Great reviews on both early from a friend of mine, but that person is the most reliable narrator when it comes to what they're seeing inside the stadium at practices. McClellan and Miller are damned good ballplayers.

That considered, none of those guys are viewed as being viable run and pass threats on par with the likes of Gibbs, Najee Harris, or Damien Harris, and none of these guys appear to be Henry, Yeldon, Lacy, or Drake (pre-injury) level of excellent. Maybe they get there, but none of them will require special prep by game 2 of 2023.

I am not sure that Bama has a first or second round pick, but they probably have 3 or 4 draftable players in that room. Running a platoon of 3-4 good to very good running backs to go along with Milroe is still nothing I am excited about, especially if they start leaning on us early.   

21 hours ago, JBJ said:

I like how we've gone from:

"Collins played a couple of snaps at end, not sure in what context."

To:

"Collins must be able to generate pressure off the edge or we are doomed."

I don't believe it has to be Collins... but we need someone to be able to put the QB on the ground, in his own backfield, multiple times per game. Collins seems the most likely, but if he can't do it, someone else will suit the purpose.

On 8/30/2023 at 9:19 AM, closetojumping said:

The word is that they think they have multiple draft picks in the backfield, ultimately. They're happy to play Brooks, Robinson and even Blue. The issue, which is a good one, is that Baxter needs to be on the field, early. He apparently doesn't have any reason to be on the bench unless he's gassed. 

You mention Gibbs and it's an excellent point to bring up. Gibbs is a stud. Bama normally has true studs at TB. They have two freshmen who might eventually fit that bill, maybe. Great reviews on both early from a friend of mine, but that person is the most reliable narrator when it comes to what they're seeing inside the stadium at practices. McClellan and Miller are damned good ballplayers.

That considered, none of those guys are viewed as being viable run and pass threats on par with the likes of Gibbs, Najee Harris, or Damien Harris, and none of these guys appear to be Henry, Yeldon, Lacy, or Drake (pre-injury) level of excellent. Maybe they get there, but none of them will require special prep by game 2 of 2023.

Gerry mentioned that he heard Baxter has split 1st team reps with week with Brooks. Will be interesting who gets majority of carries Saturday....I don't think who runs out there 1st is indicative. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/29/2023 at 7:37 PM, Codaxx said:

Game 2 is a huge point. Bama has plenty of talent. Texas will be their 1st opponent with a pulse this season. They are bringing in 2 new coordinators. They love the freshmen safety that will start. Can Sark dial up something for him? Bama was very undisciplined last year. Can they fix that and be assignment sound in 2 new systems in week 2? There isn’t a better time to catch Bama this year 

This is an interesting point.  They seemed rattled by the crowd intensity for part of the game but for the most part it seemed they were coached to "color outside the lines" a bit.  They had some bonehead plays for sure (I'm looking at you Mr Defensive POY) However, they were holding in the defensive secondary on almost every play.  Lot's of offensive line holding.  Not quite as overt as OU maybe,  but pretty consistent.  They seemed mystified that those were penalties in Austin.  The question is,  will they be penalties in AL? 

6 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

This is an interesting point.  They seemed rattled by the crowd intensity for part of the game but for the most part it seemed they were coached to "color outside the lines" a bit.  They had some bonehead plays for sure (I'm looking at you Mr Defensive POY) However, they were holding in the defensive secondary on almost every play.  Lot's of offensive line holding.  Not quite as overt as OU maybe,  but pretty consistent.  They seemed mystified that those were penalties in Austin.  The question is,  will they be penalties in AL? 

They finished 123rd in penalty yards per game. That had 4 double digit penalty games last year. 15 vs Texas, 10 v Arkansas, 17 vs Tenn, 11 vs Auburn

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry mentioned that he heard Baxter has split 1st team reps with week with Brooks. Will be interesting who gets majority of carries Saturday....I don't think who runs out there 1st is indicative. 

It's interesting to think about the Rice game as telling us much. I guess the only I think that is possible is if Texas really underperforms against them. That would be the old "uh oh" moment akin to Rice in 2010. The difference is that I wasn't surprised by Texas looking like shit against them in 2010. I didn't expect 5-7 that year, but I felt like we weren't getting to 10 wins that season, as had become the expectation. I don't think anyone can claim they were betting on 5-7. 

For this season, if Texas shows up and goes up by 35 in the first half, I doubt we'll see much from the starters or co-starters in the second half. So what will we really be able to discern from Baxter getting 13 carries for 86 yards and Brooks getting 11 carries for 77? Not much. 

15 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Last year, Middle Tennessee beat a bad Miami team on the road and forced Tyler Van Dyke into a couple of turnovers.  If Milroe gets the start, I know Middle Tennessee can't hang with Alabama, but it will be interesting to see how well he performs early.   

I watched Bama versus Utah State last year. I was hoping to see that there was something I could glean from that match-up, since Utah State had been a bowl team in 2021. I stopped watching long before the 55-0 final. Not much to be found in that match-up. MTSU was a bowl team in 2022, but they lost a lot for 2023. My assumption is that this game will end 48-3-ish and we'll have learned nothing from watching it. That said, yeah, I'll be watching it anyway.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 3:10 PM, Codaxx said:

Pardon me. When someone says "I don't know what their methodology is", I assume they do not know the methodology.  I translate sentences as they are actually written, without interpretation. It is the cross autistics have to bear. 

You carry a cross? 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

AJ Milwee will move from the booth to on the field during games to work directly with the QB's between drives. 

Hopefully, that will free up Sark to focus more on the flow of the game vs QB coaching when the def is on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's interesting to think about the Rice game as telling us much. I guess the only I think that is possible is if Texas really underperforms against them. That would be the old "uh oh" moment akin to Rice in 2010. The difference is that I wasn't surprised by Texas looking like shit against them in 2010. I didn't expect 5-7 that year, but I felt like we weren't getting to 10 wins that season, as had become the expectation. I don't think anyone can claim they were betting on 5-7. 

For this season, if Texas shows up and goes up by 35 in the first half, I doubt we'll see much from the starters or co-starters in the second half. So what will we really be able to discern from Baxter getting 13 carries for 86 yards and Brooks getting 11 carries for 77? Not much. 

I watched Bama versus Utah State last year. I was hoping to see that there was something I could glean from that match-up, since Utah State had been a bowl team in 2021. I stopped watching long before the 55-0 final. Not much to be found in that match-up. MTSU was a bowl team in 2022, but they lost a lot for 2023. My assumption is that this game will end 48-3-ish and we'll have learned nothing from watching it. That said, yeah, I'll be watching it anyway.

If this team shows up and is scoring at will and allowing no yardage or negative yards in the first half that will also tell us a lot about their mentality vs other years. 

• Hook 'Em 3

No, unless something is extremely obvious they won't be called for it in Tuscaloosa. We may be the only team in the country that not only has zero home cooking with our zebras at home (remember, '15 Okie Lite was in DKR) but also doesn't help with OOC opponents. Bama will again have that advantage.

14 minutes ago, ousux said:
19 hours ago, TheAuditor said:

No, unless something is extremely obvious they won't be called for it in Tuscaloosa. We may be the only team in the country that not only has zero home cooking with our zebras at home (remember, '15 Okie Lite was in DKR) but also doesn't help with OOC opponents. Bama will again have that advantage.

Saban's strategy includes starting the game pretty blatantly holding both on O and D, and giving refs rations of shit for the calls. Then he backs off just a wee bit and is able to continue holding, just not blatantly so.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

If this team shows up and is scoring at will and allowing no yardage or negative yards in the first half that will also tell us a lot about their mentality vs other years. 

Wouldn't you want Rice to have negative plays on offense?

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Wouldn't you want Rice to have negative plays on offense?

I'm saying that is the sign of a mean streak, not a going through the motions warmup. If they come out for blood against rice they will come out for blood against anyone. It's a mentality thing not a oh that team is clearly better thing which we already know they are. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm saying that is the sign of a mean streak, not a going through the motions warmup. If they come out for blood against rice they will come out for blood against anyone. It's a mentality thing not a oh that team is clearly better thing which we already know they are. 

I was just messing with you - It should read - If this team shows up and is scoring at will and allowing Rice no yardage and creating negative plays on defense in the first half that will tell us a lot about our mentality vs other years. 

Edited by Bevo

39 minutes ago, Kwix said:

It's a good thing Texas has never been beat by a back-up QB coming off the bench and lighting it up.

What point are you trying to make? You think Milroe gets benched or hurt during the Texas game and Simpson or Buchner come onto the field and lead Bama to victory? Or are you asserting that losing to Bama with Milroe starting would be consistent with your statement? Okaaaaaayyyy either way, I guess.

The posture various posters have taken around the Bama game, in which they attempt to imply that everyone else here is taking a win over Bama for granted, is dramatic and tedious. No one here thinks anything remotely close to the notion that the Bama game is some sort of given win. Christ.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yep. Not much positive to learn from G5 games; maybe upper tier of the AAC excluded, but good chunk of that is in the Big 12 now. 2021 Texas nonchalantly controlled a ULL team that was 21-4 over the past two seasons, brought back like every starter including a couple NFL guys, and proceeded to go 13-0 after the Texas game.

… And then went 4-7 the rest of the way.

I remember that 2010 Rice game and having a bad feeling. I tried to rationalize it away but fucking around with Wyoming the next week made me feel like the team wasn’t going to be that good. Of course that was a relative term then and I’d never have expected what was to come in the UCLA game, let alone the next 12 years. But yeah I remember seeing and trying to deny the early red flags, which are about the only revelations to look for in these games.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Yep. Not much positive to learn from G5 games; maybe upper tier of the AAC excluded, but good chunk of that is in the Big 12 now. 2021 Texas nonchalantly controlled a ULL team that was 21-4 over the past two seasons, brought back like every starter including a couple NFL guys, and proceeded to go 13-0 after the Texas game.

… And then went 4-7 the rest of the way.

I remember that 2010 Rice game and having a bad feeling. I tried to rationalize it away but fucking around with Wyoming the next week made me feel like the team wasn’t going to be that good. Of course that was a relative term then and I’d never have expected what was to come in the UCLA game, let alone the next 12 years. But yeah I remember seeing and trying to deny the early red flags, which are about the only revelations to look for in these games.

The funny thing about looking at the early part of 2010 through the lens of 2023 and everything we've experienced as diehard fans is that, if we saw those same two early performances all over again, the entire fucking board would be absolutely certain that 6-6 was that team's ceiling. We've been trained at this point to assume that "OH NO!! WE SUCK AGAIN!!" should be our default outlook. So, yeah, I'd like to see Texas just absolutely demolish Rice tomorrow for at least another week of fan optimism here.

• Like 1

If Milwee will be on the field do we know which offensive coaches will be in the booth?
Flood has the title of "offensive coordinator" so I'd say he's up there for sure with a direct line to Sark. As far as everyone else including defense, (assuming PK does sideline again this season) not really sure.

29 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

halfway into that rice game i turned to my friends and said we don't have the players for this offense if we can't run downhill on fucking rice, and we're going to fucking suck if we don't get our heads out of our asses. 

i was not happy about being right about that one 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

What point are you trying to make? You think Milroe gets benched or hurt during the Texas game and Simpson or Buchner come onto the field and lead Bama to victory? Or are you asserting that losing to Bama with Milroe starting would be consistent with your statement? Okaaaaaayyyy either way, I guess.

The posture various posters have taken around the Bama game, in which they attempt to imply that everyone else here is taking a win over Bama for granted, is dramatic and tedious. No one here thinks anything remotely close to the notion that the Bama game is some sort of given win. Christ.

It’s the day before the season starts.

Bama is a given.

Book it. It is written.

2 hours ago, BigHornedLurker said:

halfway into that rice game i turned to my friends and said we don't have the players for this offense if we can't run downhill on fucking rice, and we're going to fucking suck if we don't get our heads out of our asses. 

i was not happy about being right about that one 

So you're the one.