The Preseason Polls are F'n Stupid, But Here We Are Thread

TrashMaster G

6 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Quick? It’s been a 2.5 year rebuild so far and isn’t finished yet. 

2 hours ago, Foosters said:

5-7 in year one. 5-0, ranked #3, in year 3. Seems like a pretty rapid rebuild to me.

Weird, it feels like 14.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

AP poll we are #9, OU #5, that is good that we are the highest ranked one loss team

Yup. Speaks to the whole "every goal is still on the table" talk if we can learn from yesterday and move on. 

2 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

We should move up to #8 after our bye week with either Oregon or Washington losing. I also wouldn’t be surprised if USC loses to ND.

Agreed. The fighting Riley's have come so close to losing (FSU, too, for that matter) that it's bound to happen at some point. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Texas at #9 Bama at #11, calm down people.
OUsux @#5

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-football-poll

That’s almost exactly what I called. OU behind FSU, I thought Texas would be behind USC but that was before the AZ game wow and Bama right behind us. Welcome to the party boys. Number 9 at the half way mark and a schedule that sets up nicely for 11-1? yeah I’ll take that all day and twice on Sunday thank you very much. And yeah fuck OU.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, we are 9. If we win out that’s a combined 4 teams in front of us for sure losing- just based upon playing each other (and us of course beating OU). That would make us 5. So- we need like one more thing to happen that isn’t guaranteed over half a football season involving 8 teams. That’s pretty inconceivable that it won’t happen if we are being honest. So, yeah, win out and win the big 12 and go to the playoffs and this loss is a footnote to our season not a season killer. 
it’s the Bama way. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DaysOff said:

LSU still ranked is also laughable.

The fact that Kentucky is still ranked after 52-10 is a joke. Maryland also should have been ranked at 5-0 winning every game by 18 points or more.  I can understand them not being ranked this week but they held up a lot better than Kentucky who is still ranked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

It’s pretty funny doing a deep dive on there.  People with obvious bias and some who should have their voting privileges revoked.  

there’s several listed with a bias against UT, most of them have Bama ranked higher than us, some by several spots.

John’s Clay and Sean Reider seem like little bitches, Mike Niziolek seems like he sucks.  He’s got OU 10, Bama 11, and UT 12, LSU 17?  He’s definitely sucking current SEC cock with those teams highest ranked in the loss category

19 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

At this point fuck worrying about the CFP. Focus on winning the conference. 

More like focus on winning the next game, executing the next play, making the next tackle, etc. 

I still have faith- but they gotta get their shit together and take it one step at a time.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

More like focus on winning the next game, executing the next play, making the next tackle, etc. 

I still have faith- but they gotta get their shit together and take it one step at a time.

No way I'm spending the next two weeks worrying about Houston. Speculating about playoff scenarios is much more fun. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Kwix said:

No way I'm spending the next two weeks worrying about Houston. Speculating about playoff scenarios is much more fun. 

Someone here on this website compared sleeping on 2-3 (One of which is Rice) Houston in 2 weeks to sleeping on OU. You should be concerned.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Win out, beat OU in the big 12 CCG, go to the playoffs. We have everything to play for still. Just win baby

its a learning loss, not an irrecoverable loss.  maybe the 'best' kind of loss the team could have had (e.g. as opposed to losing to a cupcake late in the season).

the pac12 dudes are going to knock eachother off.

i still believe in this team.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 12:04 PM, LTtxfan said:

Texas is #14

College football rankings: Joel Klatt's preseason top 25

14. Texas

Should they win the Big 12? Yeah, they really should. The biggest question is how they play in tight games. The close-game issues have been a problem. They are 4-10 in one-score games under Steve Sarkisian. They were 14-13 in those same games under Tom Herman. All five loses last year were by seven points or less, including Alabama. This team, if they can just get over that hump … win the close games. 

It ain’t going away. 

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Correct. And we HAVE NOT.

Follow along. 

You're welcome to be upset and bitch about it but you're being intentionally obtuse. We lost to them in '03 and would have played them again for the B12 title under the current format. We lost to them in '04 and still won the Rose Bowl and would have played them for the conference title and a CFP bid. We lost to them in '01 and actually did play for the B12 title and a national championship bid. We beat them in '08 and it didn't wind up mattering because we went and lost to Tech. 

We haven't been in position to run the table and make the title game or CFP through 6 games since 2009. If us and OU win out and then we beat them in Arlington they are going to get to sit at home and watch us play in the CFP. Unless they can squeeze in a win in Athens or Tuscaloosa down the stretch. 

10 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Lots of caveats there.

Losing to OU ends our chances of winning the conference, with the lone exception of 1996. 

Yes - there are caveats because I'm living in 2023 where there are no B12 divisions and 4 teams make the playoff. 

Since 2000 Texas has lost the OU game then won out the regular season three times. In '96 we lost to CU down the stretch but still made the B12 title game.

Since 2000 OU has lost the Texas game then won out the regular season four times. 

The loser of this game has fairly frequently gone on to unfuck their season. We haven't done it in awhile because we've either beaten them or we haven't had a team worth a shit. 

It's all of the above.  This is our first time losing as an underdog since 1996.  When we've lost this game in the near past, we generally did not have a good team and lost a few more along the way.  When we were the better team, we simply haven't lost this game in a long time.

Winning out is always a tall order, but it's the only guaranteed way to the CFP now.  And, yes, 12-1 Texas has a guaranteed ticket.

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Going 13-0 isn't on the table.

If TX had to take a loss, is it better to lose now by 1 score in the RRS, or in the B12 CCG, or vs the rest of unranked conference games?

This was the best loss we could have taken in the eyes of the committee. Imagine if we won that game yesterday and played OU again in Arlington and they gave us our only loss... They would go over us and we would be furious. Im not saying the game on Saturday was meaningless. It was very important, but in the big picture, we still control our own destiny if we win out. Time to see how this team responds, and I think they will respond very well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Losing to OU does nothing to our chances of winning the conference. If we win the rest of our games, we play them again in December for the conference championship.

This is 2023, not 2008.

On paper, sure.

I’d love to be wrong. History says I won’t be. 

On paper, sure.

I’d love to be wrong. History says I won’t be. 

History is a lot less relevant when the rules of the game change significantly.

The format of the Big 12 championship game changed in 2017. Please name all the years since then in which we lost to OU but won the rest of our games.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

History is a lot less relevant when the rules of the game change significantly.

The format of the Big 12 championship game changed in 2017. Please name all the years since then in which we lost to OU but won the rest of our games.

I am well aware. Are you saying we won’t choke? Everyone is coming for us. It’s why losing OU ends our championship hopes.

We’ll lose again. We always do. Except…checks notes…1996. 

Again: I’d love nothing more than to be wrong.