The Preseason Polls are F'n Stupid, But Here We Are Thread

TrashMaster G

1. Pull for Texas to beat everyone, including in the B12 champ game. 

2. Pull for Washington AND Oregon to lose to either USC or Oregon St. Theoretically Washington could also lose to Utah  

If this happens. We are in. Washington and Oregon don’t lose? Weird unlikely losses would have to ensue for us to get in. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I know you jackoff to the ability of being able to bemoan and handwring over anything and everything, but this take is just fucking dumb. 

I’m going to write a mudhole this week. I was waiting for a good time for one and watching all of the predictable bullshit permeate throughout the board already for this game tells me it is. I swear to God a great deal of you idiots do not watch other games. 

Ha. Great minds think alike. Unlike most of the dipshits on here I know when a mudhole post is warranted. It’s when people piss their pants and hype up an opponent as unbeatable when we are actually objectively better than said opponent. Stanford back in the day was the first one, right?  

Edited by Wulaw Horn

56 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This post makes me want to kick Charlie Strong and Tom Herman in the balls. 

In my dream, I’m kicking Charlie Strong and Tom Herman in the balls relentlessly.  I mean teeing off like Michael Dickson uncorking a 65 yarder.  Just over and over and over again, driven by frustration.   

Then in the background, over the sound of their misery, I hear someone say “CFP rankings come out Tuesday. We will finally surpass our highest ever CFP ranking of 14th.”

That realization hits me, and now I’m REALLY mad….

Edited by Lhorn

My favorite thing on message boards is when the caterwauling vaginas tremble in fear because message board posters are discussing long term possibilities.

"OH MY GOD YOU GUYS LET'S FOCUS ON THE NEXT OPPONENT PLEASE ONE GAME AT A TIME"

Gentlemen, neither you nor the other posters on this board are that important. What we talk about has jack shit to do with the team's performance. Shut the fuck up about people discussing the football season on a football season discussion board.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ha. Great minds think alike. I like most of the dipshits on here I know when a mud hole post is warranted. It’s when people kiss their pants and hype up an opponent as unbeatable that we are better than objectively. Stanford back in the day was the first one, right?  

Stanford in 2000. And we promptly lost. Mack Brown had Jerry Scarborough send out a letter to his subscribers that week admonishing the fans for not being grateful for having Mack Brown. This was after a lot of disgruntlement in the stands, among reporters and online after a lackluster opener against North Texas or Rice. He gave a vague threat to leave after the season if people didn’t appreciate him. That letter came out after I’d written the mudhole and we were all like “ohhhhhhhh fuck!”. 

I’m like 19-9 for them and they’re usually only for big or scary matchups.  But people fret that they’re a curse. So I can’t lose, really. But yeah, sentiments on here are getting laughable. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

The Pac is getting ready to crumble as the CU and SC shine wear off.  Washington sandwiched in a Oregon win in between close wins against Arizona, ASU, and Stanford. They'll lose before the title game. 

Oregon has SC and Oregon St left. They could get got before the title game. 

Don't worry about the pac if we win out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If we win out, we could easily get left out over a 1 loss Oregon, Washington (depending on who they lost to) or Alabama. 1 loss ACC/B1G champ probably wouldn't jump us if Alabama keeps winning.  

As much as I hate measuring "quality of loss", OU's glorious loss yesterday could come back to bite us.  If we had ended beating an undefeated OU in the CCG, our 1 loss would look better and we'd have a win again a top ~5 OU right at CFP decision time (timing is everything).  Now, if we win out and meet OU (or someone else) in CCG, we'll only have a single signature win - Alabama before they got their shit together (that will be the narrative/justification).  And our OU loss will look worse.  Texas would almost certainly be passed over by a 1 loss Alabama if they beat an undefeated GA in the CCG (again timing is everything).  Lots of football to be played, just win and see what happens.  

• Drool 1

25 minutes ago, blutow said:

If we win out, we could easily get left out over a 1 loss Oregon, Washington (depending on who they lost to) or Alabama. 1 loss ACC/B1G champ probably wouldn't jump us if Alabama keeps winning.  

As much as I hate measuring "quality of loss", OU's glorious loss yesterday could come back to bite us.  If we had ended beating an undefeated OU in the CCG, our 1 loss would look better and we'd have a win again a top ~5 OU right at CFP decision time (timing is everything).  Now, if we win out and meet OU (or someone else) in CCG, we'll only have a single signature win - Alabama before they got their shit together (that will be the narrative/justification).  And our OU loss will look worse.  Texas would almost certainly be passed over by a 1 loss Alabama if they beat an undefeated GA in the CCG (again timing is everything).  Lots of football to be played, just win and see what happens.  

You guys worry too much. 

If Texas is 12-1, they’re in the playoff. 

This is a revisit of the 2007 season. We are far more likely to see a 2 loss team in this year’s playoff than more than one undefeated team. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, blutow said:

Bama won’t push us out unless Washington, Fl St, and Mich/OSU stays undefeated. A one loss Oregon or Washington would not get the spot.

Even then, it would be an interesting conversation of Big 12 champion Texas vs SEC champ Bama. I’m not completely convinced Bama jumps Texas in that scenario. 

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Bama won’t push us out unless Washington, Fl St, and Mich/OSU stays undefeated. A one loss Oregon or Washington would not get the spot.

Even then, it would be an interesting conversation of Big 12 champion Texas vs SEC champ Bama. I’m not completely convinced Bama jumps Texas in that scenario. 

Almost a 0% chance that Bama jumps us in that scenario. What would be the point of ever playing a good team again in your out of conference schedule if it doesnt mean shit at playoff selection time. Not a precedent that they will want to set.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

if 1 loss Bama ends Georgia's 30 game or whatever win streak in the SEC title game they are in I don't give a fuck what anyone else does.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

if 1 loss Bama ends Georgia's 30 game or whatever win streak in the SEC title game they are in I don't give a fuck what anyone else does.

Exactly. Which is why Oregon will get screwed in this situation if they win the PAC. Almost a 0% chance that shitty Washington team will win out. 

13 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

The SEC could easily be left out in that scenario.  They sucked in nonconference this year.

The B12 has made 5 playoffs and each time that team has had 1 loss. No 1 loss B12 title game winner has been left out of the playoff. The B12 even has a 1 loss non champion who made the playoffs. 

Here's what those 5 losses looked like:

2015 OU- lost to 5-7 Texas

2017 OU - lost to 7-5 Iowa State

2018 OU- lost to 9-4 Texas and got redemption in the title game 

2019 OU- Lost to 8-4 K State

2022 TCU- lost to 9-4 K State in the big 12 title game.

Only once has a P5 champion been left our after winning the title game and that was 2018 tOSU. They got left our because ND was undefeated and they for blown out by a 6-6 Purdue team. 

Winning out will take care of itself.  🤘

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

even so we are the least impressive 1 loss team 

i know you are fucking trolling.  That is a fucking idiotic statement.   

Ole Miss, Tulane, Missouri, Louisville, Bama, Oregon, ou, & Pedo U are all 1 loss teams.

I will conceed that Oregon is the better looking team.   ou despite having beat us, have looked pretty bad these last 2 weeks (not that we have looked great) 

But PSU looked bad vs Ohio State. Bama got punked by some scrub team at home by 10,  Ole Miss got punked by Bama by 2 scores, Mizz got beat by 2 scores by LSU.

Our loss (which was stupid bad) was to our arch rival with under 20 seconds left on the clock.  

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We are far more likely to see a 2 loss team in this year’s playoff than more than one undefeated team. 

I have no concerns about a bunch of undefeated teams, I'm more worried about rankings between 1 loss conference champs if Texas is one of them.  But mostly I'm worried that we'll drop a game and make it all a pointless discussion.   

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Kwix said:

I don't get Oregon jumping us. Is beating Utah supposed to be a better win than bama? Is it just because their loss looks a little less bad after the OU loss? 

They have a better loss and a better win yesterday. It’s a week to week thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Kwix said:

I don't get Oregon jumping us. Is beating Utah supposed to be a better win than bama? Is it just because their loss looks a little less bad after the OU loss? 

Just now, 4th&Five said:

They have a better loss and a better win yesterday. It’s a week to week thing. 

that, and other than the 3 point loss to Wash, they have murdered Colorado, Utah and Stanford (the same Stanford that had Washington on the fucking ropes last night).

with the exception of the Tech game where they won by 8, all other wins are by double digits. 

I know you jackoff to the ability of being able to bemoan and handwring over anything and everything, but this take is just fucking dumb. 
I’m going to write a mudhole this week. I was waiting for a good time for one and watching all of the predictable bullshit permeate throughout the board already for this game tells me it is. I swear to God a great deal of you idiots do not watch other games. 

Have no idea why the dude follows the Horns.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, blutow said:

I have no concerns about a bunch of undefeated teams, I'm more worried about rankings between 1 loss conference champs if Texas is one of them.  But mostly I'm worried that we'll drop a game and make it all a pointless discussion.   

There are two discussions. One is worrying about the games in front of Texas. The other is regarding a CFP scenario in which Texas wins out. 

In the former, there are and will be threads for that. With that latter, the premise that multiple 1 loss teams will get in instead of a 1 loss Texas team that lost a rivalry game on a play with :15 on the clock, beat Alabama by 10 on the road and then won its conference, is so absurd that it defies the logic required to have a serious discussion about it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kwix said:

Yep, there is no way Oregon jumps us today if OU wins against Kansas yesterday.  And it's also a timing thing.  Memories are short, recent games get much more credit than early season games.  Our best win of the year (unless we make the playoffs) will be a week 2 win.  Our best possible win going forward happens next week against a team barely in the top 25.  Would have been nice to knock off OU in CCG when they were sitting in the top 5 (or whatever).  At that point, you'd have 2 top 5 wins and no debate against other 1 loss champs.  I'm not as convinced as others that a 12-1 Texas gets in over a 1 loss Oregon or Washington.  Media has been propping PAC up all year and beating on Big12 (somewhat fairly).  Everyone will forget how bad SEC was OOC by the time decisions are made.    

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

that, and other than the 3 point loss to Wash, they have murdered Colorado, Utah and Stanford (the same Stanford that had Washington on the fucking ropes last night).

with the exception of the Tech game where they won by 8, all other wins are by double digits. 

Utah is their best win. CU is bad, Tech is bad, amd Utah is starting a pig farmer at QB right now. Their Washington loss will age like milk just like our OU loss. 

We have Bama and Kansas with KSU on deck. That's a better resume than Oregon game for game. If we both win out that'll change though as they have Oregon State and SC coming up. 

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

People keep saying the line. No way Texas gets left out if this that and the next thing. 

Just mind bottling 

UGA Michigan FSU and Washington are all going.  We aren’t better than Oregon or Washington and FSU prob isn’t losing even so we are the least impressive 1 loss team 

The Washington defense sucks. They have skated by 4 consecutive weeks.

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

If we both win out that'll change though as they have Oregon State and SC coming up. 

Yeah, if that happens then Texas is far from a lock in my opinion.  We really need Bama to keep winning and at least play in CCG.  Would not be surprised if they drop the LSU game.    

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You guys worry too much. 

If Texas is 12-1, they’re in the playoff. 

This is a revisit of the 2007 season. We are far more likely to see a 2 loss team in this year’s playoff than more than one undefeated team. 

Far more likely that four of, in order, FSU, OSU, Michigan, UGA and Washington will lose than it is for all of the above to happen AND also have all of, in order, Oregon, Bama, Texas, Penn St, OU, Ole Miss, Mizzou and Louisville lose another game AND have one of them make the playoff?  I don’t think so, and am willing to bet. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not if UGA, UM/tOSU, UDub and FSU are all undefeated.

Statistically/historically very unlikely.  If we do win out, I'd say it's 90%+ likely we are in, but not guaranteed.  That said, our chance of winning out is probably under 25% (even though likely favored in all).  

5 minutes ago, blutow said:

Statistically/historically very unlikely.

Yeah.  Looking at their opponents, nah.  

On the one hand, I see no truly dominant teams this year.  On the other hand, I see some pretty easy schedules out there.  We'll see how it plays out, it's hard to go undefeated, regardless of talent, so I agree the odds are not great there are 4 undefeated P5 teams when all is said and done.

21 minutes ago, blutow said:

Yeah, if that happens then Texas is far from a lock in my opinion.  We really need Bama to keep winning and at least play in CCG.  Would not be surprised if they drop the LSU game.    

LSU is a paper tiger just like all of Brian Kelly's Notre Dame teams. Bama will beat them and they will be out for blood after what happened last year.

10 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

LSU is a paper tiger just like all of Brian Kelly's Notre Dame teams. Bama will beat them and they will be out for blood after what happened last year.

Yeah, but they've shown the ability to put up some points and Bama's offense is inconsistent at best.  I think it will be a dangerous game for them.  Then they have Kentucky and Auburn (both away games).  I wouldn't bet against Bama in any of these, but I think there is a decent chance they drop 1.   

As long as Texas keeps winning, it actually makes some of these other games more interesting.   I normally wouldn't give a fuck about most of these games, but when Texas in in the hunt for a CPF position I'll get pretty amped up for any game that has an impact.  

Edited by blutow

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

UGA Michigan FSU and Washington are all going.  We aren’t better than Oregon or Washington and FSU prob isn’t losing even so we are the least impressive 1 loss team 

Of all the idiotic things that have been said this weekend, this shouldn’t go unnoticed. This will age worse than rest of doom and gloom posted on here post OU game.

Washington could very easily have lost 2 of the last 3 games and still has to play @USC, Utah and @ Oregon State in three straight weeks. 

Oregon still has to play USC and Civil War vs Oregon State. 

Michigan still has to go to Penn State and play Ohio State. 

FSU probably has the best chance and even then they still have to play Miami and Florida. 

Losses will happen, is this your first season watching CFB?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blutow said:

For those worried about jinxing Texas’ chances by talking about playoff scenarios, I would submit the following statement. 

For over 10 years I worried about the juju, and what did it get me? Over ten years of shitty Texas performance. Even though Texas looks vulnerable and K State is up next, I’m going to just will a positive result into existence by talking about it constantly. Eff it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we scored on 1st and Goal from the 1 yard line against OU, we wouldn't be needing a bunch of teams to lose.

Always, always, ALWAYS handle your own business and never leave it in the hands of external forces.  We failed to do that and here we are.

• Hook 'Em 2