The Preseason Polls are F'n Stupid, But Here We Are Thread

TrashMaster G

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Florida being ranked is laughable. They live in Tennessee’s head and Joe Milton sucks out loud. Also, Tennessee being ranked is comical. They shit themselves on national tv last night, they weren’t terrific against Virginia and Austin Peay gave them all they could handle. 

Counterpoint: while I am not gonna say we looked good against Utah, we lost to the then ranked (no. 11), twice Pac-12 defending champion, after self-destructing many times. Which is not me denying that we look like dog shit against Utah.

While we easily fucked up Tennessee (until Billy took his foot off the gas in the second half and ran the ball and kill clock, given the slim chance the Vols were going to score 4 times in the second half), the bigger question is how the hell can Tennessee be ranked higher than Florida after that horse abortion performance in the Swamp?

• Hook 'Em 4

Anyone expressing outrage at Texas but failing to criticize FSU win is not being objective.  They should have lost.

And the polls are not set up to rank Texas alone.  If everyone around us sucked a bit more than we did, that’s how you move up after a poor showing. 

8 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Interesting split between AP and Coaches poll. Is it laziness, dislike, or something else?

Oh well, Urban Meyer says we're number one. 

The coaches poll is definitely laziness and very formulaic old school style voting where a loss means a team moves down 5-10 spots, other teams who won move up into those spots, regardless of the margin or the opponent. Coaches poll voters don’t try to evaluate all the teams and reshuffle accordingly. It’s worthless.

Some AP ballots are still wonky but I feel like more voters now at least have a good bit of fluidity in their ballots, especially early the season.

Edited by LonghornSean

Well in the coaches' poll, KSU still has more votes than Missouri.  In the AP poll Tennessee is rated ahead of Florida who stomped them last night.  In the Coaches' poll Tennessee is still rated while Florida is down around #29.  They aren't even looking at all the scores before voting.

8 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

We in no way deserve to be #3.  Though I haven't seen any team play worthy of a Top 5 ranking so far except for the teams like USC who are just rolling cupcakes each week.

Just handle our business and we'll be fine.  

Washington. 3-0 all murders, 1 against Boise and 1 at MSU. None of those are great teams but Washington has looked great. 

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Um. Why not? We have 20 point+ wins against two G5 teams that each have a P5 win already, and a 10 point win on the road against Alabama. Our resume is as good as anyone's right now - in fact ESPN has us with the #1 strength of record so far. 

I'm glad we're 3-0.  Team has shown some really good things.  I ain't gonna go drown myself in the Koo-laid just yet.

Took until the 2nd half against Rice to get our shit together.  Took until the 4th quarter to get our shit together against Wyoming.  We handled Alabama but left plenty of points on the field and that ain't the normal Alabama, if we're being honest.

I'd like to see us put a full game together of no mistakes and Ewers/receivers being on point before I crown our ass.  

But like I said, basically every team has looked shaky so far in the season outside of a few who haven't been tested.  Just win out over this shit-tier Big 12.  Never been a better chance to run the table.

31 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I was surprised to see FSU dropping after a road win against Clemson.  USC dropped 3 after a win as well, they did look like shit in the half I watched of that game.  Kansas at 24 means a ranked match up Saturday.

They should’ve lost. They didn’t, but they should’ve. Some voters may have watched the game. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I was surprised to see FSU dropping after a road win against Clemson.  USC dropped 3 after a win as well, they did look like shit in the half I watched of that game.  Kansas at 24 means a ranked match up Saturday.

FSU keeps winning like this they will be out if the top 25 in no time.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

Washington with a first place vote

Surprised they’re not getting more love. I know it was just the Alamo bowl but they looked really good that day and they’ve been rolling since. They could probably beat any team in the country right now… Texas needs to keep improving 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, B00M said:

Surprised they’re not getting more love. I know it was just the Alamo bowl but they looked really good that day and they’ve been rolling since. They could probably beat any team in the country right now… Texas needs to keep improving 

That Penix kid is no joke.

Well, there are probably a lot of jokes there, but he's really good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

They play at weird times and their marquee OOC opponent is a complete dud.

Washington and Oregon both play bad teams next week. Take care of business and they’ll both go into a bye at 5-0 and their matchup on 10/15 will be the biggest game in the nation.

50 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Air Force got 6.

Air Force was losing 20-10 and came back with 35 unanswered points and won 45-20.  I watched that game - they would beat almost half of the teams in the Big12.

It reminded me of the Texas/OSU game in 2004.  We were down 35-7 and won 56-35.  I actually found a good link that talks about the game.  As a bonus it links to the full game on YouTube, and below that it links to the Pump Fake from the 2005 game.  Enjoy.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/4/7/15211036/2004-texas-oklahoma-state-50-best-college-football-teams