The Preseason Polls are F'n Stupid, But Here We Are Thread

TrashMaster G

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Which jackass put us at #10?

The graphic you quoted is from last week.

FSU should've lost Saturday to Clemson. The Noles were outplayed for the majority of that game but escaped when the walk-on PK missed a 29-yard FG with about 90 seconds left in regulation.

Most of this shit will sort itself out with time. But Bohls is such a fucking pseudointellectual jackass. I bet he thinks he is so enlightened to have Washington at #1, yet he puts Michigan at #2 who has beaten precisely nobody. Georgia at #3... same. Then puts Texas at #4 who actually has a good win. Just so embarrassed he covers this team. Hopefully he retires soon.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Most of this shit will sort itself out with time. But Bohls is such a fucking pseudointellectual jackass. I bet he thinks he is so enlightened to have Washington at #1, yet he puts Michigan at #2 who has beaten precisely nobody. Georgia at #3... same. Then puts Texas at #4 who actually has a good win. Just so embarrassed he covers this team. Hopefully he retires soon.  

Yeah, this. I could see the argument for Washington at #1 right now. But then you pretty much have to go with Texas and Ohio State at 2/3 or 3/2, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Or dies.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

That dude will be working until the statesman is finally shuttered.

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Boston College and a walk-on Clemson kicker missing basically an extra point are two reasons it wouldn’t be unreasonable to have them over FSU.

Yeah that’s why I said “maybe”. They’re still undefeated with a better win than anything Washington has to this point.

I think Washington is damned good. I don’t blame anyone for ranking them very high. 

At this point in time, Texas and Ohio State have legitimate arguments for being ranked number 1. They both played highly ranked teams on the road and prevailed. Texas has played better opponents outside of that, though.

Georgia has an argument simply because they’re the two-time defending champ and there is merit in taking the position that, until the crown is taken on the field, it should not be taken in the votes. 

Florida State hasn’t acquitted itself well lately, but they have a damned good resume. 

The worst arguments for the top 5 are Michigan and USC. Neither have played anyone and both have looked like dogshit at times. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think Washington is damned good. I don’t blame anyone for ranking them very high. 

At this point in time, Texas and Ohio State have legitimate arguments for being ranked number 1. They both played highly ranked teams on the road and prevailed. Texas has played better opponents outside of that, though.

Georgia has an argument simply because they’re the two-time defending champ and there is merit in taking the position that, until the crown is taken on the field, it should not be taken in the votes. 

Florida State hasn’t acquitted itself well lately, but they have a damned good resume. 

The worst arguments for the top 5 are Michigan and USC. Neither have played anyone and both have looked like dogshit at times. 

Yep. I committed to do the shaggy pill and treat it as a resume poll. It’s really fucking hard right now. 
as a power ranking poll I think I might have Washington 1, but definitely in the top 4. 

7 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Listening to XM 84 Full Ride.

Childers and Aaron Murray both think Texas should be #1 right now, based on games played.

I think UGA is #1 until they lose.  Just kind of how it is.  They get that respect, but 8 voters did have someone else #1, so they're on notice.

For instance, if Texas were to beat KU and then OU, they should be #1.  That schedule would be far better than UGA's at that point - Texas would be 6-0 with 3 top 25 wins, 1 on the road and 1 at a neutral site.  Much more impressive than 6-0 against UT Martin, Ball State, South Carolina, UAB, Auburn, Kentucky. 

UGA
Texas
Washington/Ohio State
FSU/Michigan/USC

It will all shake out eventually.  Still too early - too much preseason bias in rankings.

5 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I think Wash is good.  But I did not watch game against Cal.  How did they give up 33 points to Cal?  Garbage scores or flukey stuff?  That seams like a red flag.

UW was up 52-12 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd Q.  Cal scored a TD with 1:50 left in the 3rd Q, a TD (failed 2 point conversion) at 10:48 and another TD at 3:40.  

Up 40 points, it was probably a lot of backups. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I think Wash is good.  But I did not watch game against Cal.  How did they give up 33 points to Cal?  Garbage scores or flukey stuff?  That seams like a red flag.

It was 45-12 at the half. The game was over at halftime.

They've looked good but keep in mind that their schedule is weak and back-loaded. One of their wins is over the same Tulsa team that OU beat 66-10 on the road. Their next game is at Arizona who just beat a putrid Stanford team by 1. 

We aren't going to know anything about Washington until Oregon comes to town in three weeks.

1 minute ago, Mother mopar said:

No change to the top 7. LSU down to #23

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-football-poll

Significantly closed the gap with Michigan and picked up more #1 votes, so at least there’s that. 

I’d just as soon have someone else at #2 in case UGA gacks one, but it’s not like it’s going to change that Texas is already circled. 

Significantly closed the gap with Michigan and picked up more #1 votes, so at least there’s that. 
I’d just as soon have someone else at #2 in case UGA gacks one, but it’s not like it’s going to change that Texas is already circled. 
Saw the change in first place votes as well after looking further and edited my post. Just win baby, just win.

Just now, Mother mopar said:
2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Saw the change in first place votes as well after looking further and edited my post. Just win baby, just win.

Yeah, that’s the bottom line. The fewer distractions the better, imo, but Texas already wears a target and the team has been very businesslike so far. 

This is  an interesting year. No team seems like a giant unstoppable force. This may be the best year for the playoff in a long time. 

I have a silly nervousnous about us being ranked so high. We deserve it, but it's such a quick reversal of fortune that it's dizzying.

Enjoying the ride. Fearing the long ball.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

So I was bored and looked up the mega outlier AP voter.  mike niziolek

No surprise dude is from IN and clearly a Big 10 homer.   But overall I am not going to fault the guy for putting UT where he does, there are a lot of undefeated teams so far, so hes got them ahead of us... weird but not crazy. 

But either the site hasnt properly updated his picks or this dude is a drunken fucking fool  

according to the voting site, He literally duplicated his ballot from last week.   

So if this fuck doesnt even take the time to correctly submit his fucking ballot, why in the fuck is he a voter? Its literally the one fucking thing in your job description. 

6 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

So I was bored and looked up the mega outlier AP voter.  mike niziolek

No surprise dude is from IN and clearly a Big 10 homer.   But overall I am not going to fault the guy for putting UT where he does, there are a lot of undefeated teams so far, so hes got them ahead of us... weird but not crazy. 

But either the site hasnt properly updated his picks or this dude is a drunken fucking fool  

according to the voting site, He literally duplicated his ballot from last week.   

So if this fuck doesnt even take the time to correctly submit his fucking ballot, why in the fuck is he a voter? Its literally the one fucking thing in your job description. 

And, again, six of his top eight are B1G, or incoming, teams. 

25 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

And, again, six of his top eight are B1G, or incoming, teams. 

yeah but like i said, its the exact same ballot this week as last. 

I was  originally typing to point out WTF votes, but then realized the fuck sent in the same exact same fucking ballot 2 weeks in a row.   and we know he did it because in the past when a voter couldnt get their ballot in, the AP would say a voter couldnt get their picks in and go with 63 ballots that week. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

yeah but like i said, its the exact same ballot this week as last. 

I was  originally typing to point out WTF votes, but then realized the fuck sent in the same exact fucking ballot 2 weeks in a row.   and we know he did it because in the past when a voter couldnt get their ballot in, the AP would say a voter couldnt get their picks in and go with 63 ballots that week. 

It was a mistake. Not sure if it was his or AP’s. They’ll figure it out and get to his actual ballot.