RIP Robbie Robertson

4th&Five

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

RIP

I only learned in the past couple years that he wrote and originally recorded Broken Arrow, which I always thought was a great fucking song.

Agreed. I love that song. Who did you think wrote it?

RIP. This was the only one of his solo albums I ever owned.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/9/2023 at 6:02 PM, mr. sunshine said:

I read a few years ago that Levon got pissed because he thought Scorsese featured Robbie more than the rest of the Band in The Last Waltz

And he felt that Robbie essentially stole songwriting royalties from the rest of them.

In Robbie’s defense, he was the only one capable of keeping The Band going in the early 70’s, when Levon, Danko, and Manuel were smacked out of their minds.

Blood on both sides, and I hate that they never really reconciled.

”The Weight” is probably the greatest song of all time.

On 8/13/2023 at 2:11 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I just wish people would stop singing "take a load off Annie" when they cover "The Weight".

I mean, I get it, it's a tough pronunciation, and some don't even try.  I suspect most don't even know the actual lyric.

off topic on the band but on topic for "Annie" and pronouncing lyrics, a story that always makes me chuckle about Waylon Jennings recording "One Old Brown Shoe" with The Old 97s

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/the-lost-songs-of-old-97s-and-waylon-jennings/

MILLER: After lunch, he cut the vocals for “The Other Shoe.” He got to the second verse, where the cuckolded husband is under the bed and imagining the murders he’s about to commit. There’s a line, “You’ll try to find a doctor that will prescribe an elixir that’ll make everything better.” He kept saying “excelsior.” It got tense in the control room because he’d keep getting through the whole song and mess up that word. Eventually, I had an idea. I told him to just use the phrase “Annie licks her.” He started laughing. “I like you, you’re sick,” he told me. And he nailed it on the next take.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

I hear ya both. That was around '90 or so when Stewart had a late career revival covering great songwriters before he decided to try and be a schmaltzy crooner. Downtown Train (Waits), Broken Arrow (Robertson), Have I Told You (Morrison). I remember the creepy video for BA with cherubs on swings and shit.