Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Not a bad take on the Chicago dog.  Did you not have celery salt on hand, though?

Also, I'm not sure if folks from Chicago are territorial of their hot dogs and we are about chili.  I get the sense they are, i.e., if you omit an ingredient or add something extra, you can't call it a Chicago dog.  But, I would not be opposed to putting some sauerkraut on a Chicago dog.

I didn't have celery salt or sport peppers. I went to two stores looking for sport peppers, but couldn't find them. Thought I had celery salt at home, but didn't. Wasn't going to the store just for that.

It was pretty good, but I think the relish and pickle combo is a bit much for me. 

5 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Those are the only kind I'll buy at the store. I usually make my own pickles, but haven't in awhile. i will definitely pick some up when I'm at various farmers markets too

The Grillo consumption in my house is ridiculous.

Every once in awhile I’ll get a batch that isn’t crisp, but 90% of the time it’s the best damn pickle on the market. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I didn't have celery salt or sport peppers. I went to two stores looking for sport peppers, but couldn't find them. Thought I had celery salt at home, but didn't. Wasn't going to the store just for that.

It was pretty good, but I think the relish and pickle combo is a bit much for me. 

Just sub Trappeys Tabasco peppers in vinegar (the ones you put on collard greens). It's basically the same thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

You can buy Vienna brand sport peppers and neon green relish on Amazon. You can also get cherry pepper relish for hoagies.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, McFly said:

You should have celery salt on hand for bloody marys

Valid point.

Though, I almost never keep hard alcohol at home. I just don't drink it as often as I used to. I used to keep a pretty nice selection of vodka, whiskey, and rum. But I pretty much just drink those when we go to a restaurant now. I quit smoking about 5 years ago, and I think my taste just changed a bit. Still keep plenty of wine and some beer though

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Valid point.

Though, I almost never keep hard alcohol at home. I just don't drink it as often as I used to. I used to keep a pretty nice selection of vodka, whiskey, and rum. But I pretty much just drink those when we go to a restaurant now. I quit smoking about 5 years ago, and I think my taste just changed a bit. Still keep plenty of wine and some beer though

I rarely drink hard liquor, other than Bloody Marys.  They're my favorite drink with a bullet and I always have vodka as a result.  I usually have 1 on Saturday and Sunday each, and some other random week night.  My wife as well.

I'll even make virgin Marys when I don't feel like drinking.

9 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Not if the relish is sweet. 

/ducks /throws smoke bomb /turns over bookcase on my way out 

5 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Valid point.

You mean, now you can actually taste?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not if the relish is sweet. 

/ducks /throws smoke bomb /turns over bookcase on my way out 

You mean, now you can actually taste?

That's a good question. I know I have sweet relish at home, but I'm not sure if that's what I used or not.

As far as taste after quiting smoking. Let's just say it turns out he beer and whiskey I used to drink weren't the greatest in quality and I didn't know that

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

That shit went so hard. The scenery was top notch as well but I didn’t creep. Also stopped at a bakery down the street for some pan dulce. The munchies are hitting not to mention it is an amazing 75 degrees outside right now 

I was on board until you mentioned you’re in 75 degree weather, so you can go fuck yourself now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

That shit went so hard. The scenery was top notch as well but I didn’t creep. Also stopped at a bakery down the street for some pan dulce. The munchies are hitting not to mention it is an amazing 75 degrees outside right now 

Stop at one of the carts doing the bacon wrapped hotdogs with grilled onions.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Didn’t cook it but I’m high and about to destroy it. East LA tacos

IMG_6222.jpeg

IMG_6223.jpeg

IMG_6224.jpeg

Got DAM that looks amazing!

Lived in Texas for three decades before moving to Idaho and never encountered anything like that. Is it mostly a SoCal thing or have I been hanging with the wrong people and in the wrong places? I am so fucking jealous right now.

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Lived in Texas for three decades before moving to Idaho and never encountered anything like that. Is it mostly a SoCal thing or have I been hanging with the wrong people and in the wrong places? I am so fucking jealous right now.

The trompo is real-deal mexican.  Mostly CDMX.  But, over the decades, it has spread.  You can even get it at several places in Austin now (but no place that the hipsters on Yelp actually go to - Torchy's doesn't have it).  In Mexico, plenty of shitty little storefront taquerias or stands have it.  Here, look for a trailer in a gas station parking lot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You can find it in most of Texas now, but usually only in the hood and on a smaller scale, only places I’ve been with one that size was in Mexico.  Look for trompo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smuggs said:

Stop at one of the carts doing the bacon wrapped hotdogs with grilled onions.

I go to a spot in Inglewood down the street from LAX if I fly out of there instead of Burbank. There are a couple of badass carts outside dodger stadium usually also 

15 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I go to a spot in Inglewood down the street from LAX if I fly out of there instead of Burbank. There are a couple of badass carts outside dodger stadium usually also 

Inglewood has some prize joints.  Got a Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles.  Lots of taco trucks.  And one time, I had to wait for a few hours while my daughter was en route to meet us.  Ended up at a Somali joint....I was the only non-somali there.  Amazing goat stew.

• Hook 'Em 1

Apparently Trompo is illegal in Houston, and thus very hard to find inside the Loop.

https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/2016/11/tex-mex-tuesday-la-macro-trompo

rompo, the vertical spit filled with chunks of achiote-and-chile-rubbed pork known in many other parts of Mexico as al pastor, is one of the greatest embodiments of this rule. In Mexico, it’s perfectly fine to force pieces of raw pork into a loaf shape and allow them to cook slowly out in the open on a spit, before they’re sliced directly into a taco. In Houston, this is illegal. That’s why you don’t see much trompo in the Bayou City. And when you do, it’s Monterrey-style — crisped on a griddle, cooking it just a bit more for good measure.

As difficult as it is to find real-deal trompo, it’s practically non-existent inside the Loop. Bless La Macro, then, for reopening its Northside restaurant (they also have a food truck) on Washington Avenue in August.

On 7/21/2023 at 8:49 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Apparently Trompo is illegal in Houston, and thus very hard to find inside the Loop.

https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/2016/11/tex-mex-tuesday-la-macro-trompo

i don't think that's the case anymore.

https://goo.gl/maps/CqEQ6FmZ5tNoD9US6

edit: maybe it's mty style

Edited by elfenix